Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Zero

Default Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

Ah that's good news then, it's unfortunate that there isn't as wide a selection (I went in there fairly recently but didn't eat anything as we'd already had something) but if they are focusing on cooking from stratch more then perhaps it will improve the options and are there and expand in time, thanks for finding that out Marrers as everything I'd heard up to now had been very much to the contrary

Zero

Message below is an email that someone from Brighton forwarded around - some of you might find it useful.

Urban Decay makeup stand in Debenhams sells makeup that is suitable for vegans.* The young girl working on the stand is very knowledgeable about veganism and also has a book which lists all products suitable for vegans (defined by a purple paw print next to the item).* About 99% of their products are suitable for vegans.

Also Pizzaface Pizza Delivery (in Kemp Town) seem also to have an interest in veganism.* All their pizzas can be made with vegan mozzarella and all their pizza bases are very authentic and tasty.* I can recommend the 'John O' pizza.* When ordering just ask for a vegan version of any of their pizzas.* They also only serve/sell Booja Booja ice cream and no nasty soft drinks, like Coca Cola.* Only Whole Earth products etc.

Thanks for that Zero, I'll definitely check out the pizza place next time I'm down.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Best Pizza delivery ever? I wish I could move to Brighton.

p.s. who's up for a pizza party on the beach?

Mousee!!

i sure am!

I'm thinking of spending my birthday in Brighton and I really want to go somewhere nice for afternoon tea - who sells the best vegan cake in Brighton?

Mousee!!

Aloka the Ladies sure know how to make a dreamy cake. at the mo theres slabs of tiffin available!! oooooh!

Zero

Infinity Café, Waikikamukau or The Sanctuary I reckon. Food for Friends usually has a couple of vegan cakes too though.

I'd say Aloka, Infinity Cafe or VBites (where you can get the same cakes as Infinity Cafe plus a few others like red velvet cake and cupcakes). VBites has the most choice - or it did last summer anyway, I haven't been for a few months. They had 8-12 different full sized cakes and a conveyor belt of cupcakes.

I haven't been to The Sanctuary but I don't think there is much choice in Waikikamukau.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Thanks! Lots of choice. Maybe as it will be my birthday, morning tea and afternoon tea will be in order!!

I would have liked to have tried V Bites but my boyf is refusing to go there as he does not like the owner Perhaps I can talk him into it.

She doesn't serve the cakes, though! He won't have to make small talk with her or anything!

Mr Rose and I are planning to be in Brighton for a few days towards the end of the Festival - anyone else around and fancy tea and buns somewhere at some point?

Maybe RubyRose - let us know when you firm up your plans.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    p.s. who's up for a pizza party on the beach?
    I am! we had some pizzas from Pizzaface yesterday and they were really good ,

I really, really love that............I think it's brilliant, 'Pizzaface'............what a great name!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote seamus View Post
    Aloka the Ladies sure know how to make a dreamy cake. at the mo theres slabs of tiffin available!! oooooh!
    The chocolate orange cake there is really fantastic. The self-serve buffet was kind of eh though as it's not all you can eat, they have a funny system where they weigh the plates.

Food for Friends is good if expensive. I loved the tofu parcels.

Red Veg is fantastic comfort food.

Infinity has nice cakes and sandwiches.

Eating out in Brighton is pretty expensive but I can't fault the choice. I can't wait to go back and try more of these places! Are there any good vegan friendly places on or around the pier? We couldn't find any. Even the noodle stand cooks the vegetables and meat on the same grill.

Quote Emvegan View Post
    Food for Friends is good if expensive. I loved the tofu parcels.
    girl can and I went there for our wedding meal 18 months ago.

I spent last Friday in Brighton celebrating my birthday and had a lovely day. Lunch at RedVeg to feed my junk food craving then cake at Aloka - pear and blueberry cake. Yum!

I'm glad you didn't go to VBites for cake on my advice Linxie, the cake selection has been drastically reduced.

The cakes cost £3.95 a slice but are the same as those sold at Infinity, Ideya, Sanctuary etc where they cost £2.50-£3 a slice. There were only two flavours of gâteau (but two of each flavour) and the cupcakes were iced rather than frosted which I thought was a shame.

I was there for lunch last weekend just after they had a minor refit in the room where the cakes and kichen are. They have moved the cake island and made it a much smaller island - previously there was a large area in the middle for staff to stand (see pic below). The room is now packed with tables and chairs and is a bit too cramped in my opinion. It's also quite noisy in there when there are children in, due to the play area in the corner. Service was slow but my all-day breakfast was okay. It would have been nicer if the hash browns were made rather than bought.

This is how the refitted area looked before (pic from quarry girl's blog). The counter has been moved and replaced with tables and chairs.
    Last edited by Marrers; May 10th, 2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: to add pic

Quote Emvegan View Post
    Are there any good vegan friendly places on or around the pier? We couldn't find any.
    Aloka and Terre à Terre are pretty near Palace pier. Other than that last time I checked (last year) the chips from the stall by the crazy golf, near to Palace pier (on the left of the pier if you're looking out to sea) were vegan but do check again as their cooking methods may have changed. Same goes for the chip shop on the seafront on the corner of Ship Street, a bit further towards West Pier.

Yesterday I couldn't recall the name of the pub the chef from the Earth & Stars had gone to (I now know it's The Royal Sovereign on Preston Street) but thought I'd found it when by chance I saw a sign outside The Bedford Tavern on Western Street offering vegan Sunday lunches. However on enquiring inside it seems they had just parted company with the chef who did a vegan option so they aren't offering vegan food at the moment after all. I'll have to try The Royal Sovereign another time.

Quote Marrers View Post
    . I'll have to try The Royal Sovereign another time.
    So Earth and Stars don't do a vegan Sunday lunch anymore ?
    Let us know how you get on at The Royal Soveriegn?

I think Earth & Stars still do a vegan Sunday lunch, I hear it seems very similar as before the chef changed so presumably they're following his recipe. Weekday meals may have changed though, I'm not sure.

Royal Sovereign is a bit out of the way for me normally so I'm unlikely to be trying it any time soon. Hopefully someone else will report back.

Zero

Quote Marrers View Post
    Royal Sovereign is a bit out of the way for me normally so I'm unlikely to be trying it any time soon. Hopefully someone else will report back.
    I figured I'd email them since I am down there a few times a year and this interests me, got this very encouraging response -

"As we are in the process of updating our website, our menus are out of date. I'm happy to report that our chef EJ is an excellent vegan chef and can cater for your needs. I hope that's of help"

Sounds like there will be some options on the new menu which should go up on the website soon: http://www.theroyalsovereign.com/

Friends of mine went to The George on Saturday so this report is not from my own observations. Although there is chilli, curry and a beanburger on offer which may have been vegan there was nothing marked as vegan on the menu. The staff said some dishes could be veganised - for example the haloumi salad without the haloumi - but my friends were unimpressed and went elsewhere.

The pub was apparently busy having just reopened and I'm told it has been refitted very nicely (although the nice big tables have gone and there are small round tables in their place).

Apparently there are lots of real ales but none obviously marked as vegan although the wine list had some wines marked (? as veggie or vegan I'm not sure).

Those big tables were perfect when we had out meet-ups

I've just walked past a Loving Hut Cafe on The Level (skate park/play area end, opp Phoenix Gallery). No idea how long it's been here or of opening times as shutters are down.

Took our Brighton friend and my mother to Terre a Terre for a celebratory lunch today (the friend is about to have her 80th though she isn't publicising the fact!). There was more for vegans than I remember. A couple of us had the £15 3-course lunch which seems really good value considering the labour-intensive sort of food it is - I think there may only be one vegan option per course on that though.

My friends were at the Preston Park Tavern on Saturday and report that there was one vegan starter and two vegan mains. They also have vegan wine.

Wooh! Harpy - I was also in Terre A Terre on Sunday... spooky! In the evening though. The tapas/chips/carafe of wine for two for £33 is running until the end of June.

I had a Pizzzaface pizza and vegan garlic bread today. Very tasty though I thought it could have done with a bit more cheese.

We'll have to co-ordinate things better next time RR! Was probably stuck in a traffic jam while you were having dinner, sadly.

Mousee!!

new head chef starting in Idea soon. shes awsome!!!

Quote Marrers View Post
    I've just walked past a Loving Hut Cafe on The Level (skate park/play area end, opp Phoenix Gallery). No idea how long it's been here or of opening times as shutters are down.
    We saw it yesterday,- I wonder whats happening there as I spoke to the managers of the Loving Hut a couple of months ago and he said that they had found a location in Brighton but were having problems with the lease ?

I wish Brighton had a good chinese/Oriental veg buffet restaurant,

Yay, The Loving Hut will be opening in Brighton next week. We were walking past there today and just happened to see some people from Supreme master tv outside and taking things in. They said they will be open next week!

I also went to The George and its still a vegetarian pub, we didn't eat there so not sure how much of the food is vegan

Has anyone had any of the cakes at Red Veg? I never do because by the time it's cake time I'm usually stuffed with chips and Hicory smoked burger! So good

I had a vegan chocolate orange flavoured soya milkshake from Shakeaway the other day which was amazing! Totally urge everyone to try one.

Yo sushi have the best aubergine dish too, and a handy booklet they can give you that tells you everything which is vegan, - Wagamama offer the same sort of thing (Y)

Ooh and can't get enough of those Infinity Food cinamon swirls! Ok they're my main food recommendations

Thanks for the tip about the aubergine dish, that's my favourite food so I'll have to try it!

I've had the Red Veg cakes to take away, they are certainly good value and are nice enough but only one layer and often without frosting. I'm a sucker for frosting and goo so I prefer the two layer cakes from Infinity Cafe etc.

Ahh nice one I'll keep that in mind! I'm a real lover of frosting too ;D

Mousee!!

new head chef at Aloka this week

BlackCats

^ The cake I had at Infinity was gorgeous. I love the frosting too. I could just eat that on it's own actually.

I'm going to take a day trip down to Brighton sometime this summer and I want to try one of the places I haven't tried before! (Or maybe two places!)

We've eaten at Aloka, Infinity, Red Veg and Terre a Terre (twice) in the past 48 hours, will post up reviews on my blog in due course.

In short: Aloka was far better than expected (very good in fact), Terre a Terre excellent (as expected), Inifinity alright (the best cake I've had in a restuarant in 10 years) and Red Veg a novelty that everyone should indulge in once every few years.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    We've eaten at Aloka, Infinity, Red Veg and Terre a Terre (twice) in the past 48 hours, will post up reviews on my blog in due course.

In short: Aloka was far better than expected (very good in fact), Terre a Terre excellent (as expected), Inifinity alright (the best cake I've had in a restuarant in 10 years) and Red Veg a novelty that everyone should indulge in once every few years.
    I haven't been to Aloka before, but glad you agree that the others are some of the best places in the UK!
    Now I'm even more excited about moving to Brighton!

Quote seamus View Post
    new head chef at Aloka this week
    That's always a worry when you've enjoyed the food previously as I have. I hope it stays good or improves.

Went to Loving Hut Cafe at the Level last week, happened to be there on the day it opened- I only knew it was there as someone posted about it on here, so thanks to whoever that was!- and it was great.

Have been craving chow mein ever since I went vegan, so shared chow mein with partner, and we both loved it...YUM! Also had spring rolls which were really nice and got to try another dish which they had just cooked, which was yummy too.

anyway, its great to have another all vegan place to eat and I'll definitely be going back lots to try out all their other stuff. Really friendly people working there too.

Also, was in the George last week too and its all been done up which looks great but unfortunately it's not very vegan friendly anymore.. And my partner went again the other day and he's told me only half of the wines are veggie. Which seems very strange in a veggie pub I was told the curry was vegan, and a few of the other things could be made vegan by taking out the dairy bit. anyway bit disappointed really, but hey ho.

love yo-yo x x x

Mousee!!

dear Marrers, Aloka will be as good

Let's hope so Seamus. (I see they are advertising for a chef at the moment.) I might go there tonight.

Infinity are selling Sweet Vegan marshmallows. They also had a frozen dessert I haven't seen before - No Nuts Just Coconuts iced coconut cream dessert. It's quite nice.

I ate upstairs at Aloka this evening (the raw a la carte menu) and was the only diner up there. The food was quite tasty and the dining area is nice.

I also popped into the renamed and refitted 'Prince' George and had a chat with the person behind the bar (not the chef) about vegan options. As others have said nothing is marked as vegan on the food menu but they will take you through and point out what you can have - however I was disappointed to find they seem to be making a lot of assumptions . . . I was told the beanburger was okay without one of the relishes - but she didn't know if the breadcrumbs used were vegan, also said the risotto without the cream but she didn't know if the white wine was vegan. (By the way I was told the spring rolls are sealed with egg, not sure if all the staff would realise this.)

On the wine list a few wines are marked with a V as vegetarian and I was saddened to be 'assured' that all veggie wine was vegan. As we know this is not the case and it made me uncertain whether any of them were vegan.

I can't decide whether it is worth contacting the manager and explaining the need to find out this info (and mark the menus to eliminate any human error as I got the feeling what you get told could depend on who you ask) - but I have a sad feeling that it is a lost cause.

On the plus side I thought the new decor was nice, it's not all small tables, there are a few bigger tables left and they have Dark Star on tap.

Zero

That's a shame Marrers, since so many vegans know the George as a place to get vegan wine and food they are missing a trick really, it wouldn't be that hard to create a few vegan options and look into which wines are vegan.

Like you said, sounds like there is a lack of understanding among the staff.

Mousee!!

chef positions in Aloka are filled. looking for KP right now.....by all accounts.

Mousee!!

question-Is PLANET INDIA still open?