Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Default Vegan Brighton (2)

Here are the cupcakes from Mays General Store in Lewes (I think they cost £1.40 each).

Gorilla said on another thread that The George are introducing a new menu so fingers crossed it will contain plenty of vegan options.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Stu

Default Re: Vegan Brighton

Whoa - they look chuffing great, Mazzer.

They really were!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

If those cupcakes taste half as good as they look...Any idea who makes them, Marrers? I wonder if it's possible to get them by mail order.

wow, those cupcakes look amazing. worth the bus fare to Lewes to get hold of some!

yes, hopefully the George will be keeping a good vegan selection on their new menu. i'll report back once i know.

Zero

Quote Gorilla View Post
    wow, those cupcakes look amazing. worth the bus fare to Lewes to get hold of some!

yes, hopefully the George will be keeping a good vegan selection on their new menu. i'll report back once i know.
    Sounds cool. I quite like the George, inspite of the fact they bought me that enchilada with sour cream on it! Glad they realised and came and took it back before I eat it .

Nice staff, cool place. Would be interested to see the new menu

Quote green woman View Post
    Any idea who makes them, Marrers? I wonder if it's possible to get them by mail order.
    From my chat with the owner of Mays it sounds like it is a local woman but I don't know who.

If she doesn't have a mail order business she should, I'm sure she'd do well. Those cupcakes look delicious.

Mmmmm - had the Wicken Fen Country Herb sausages I bought from Infinity last night. YUMMY <3 I really wished I lived closer to Brighton!
    vegan and proud.

this might be of interest to locals:

Climate Change and Well-being
    A public discussion

Thursday 16 October 08
    at 7pm for 7.30 start

At Terraces Bar & Grill
    Madeira Drive, Brighton
    200 yards east of Brighton Pier
    Downstairs – food & drinks available, including veggie specials!
    (www.the-terraces.co.uk)

Speakers
    Caroline Lucas
    Leader of the Green Party, Euro MP, 2007 Observer Ethical Politician of the Year and parliamentary candidate for Brighton Pavilion Ward.

Martin Jordan

Senior Lecturer in counselling, psychotherapy and mental health at the University of Brighton, with a long interest in Ecopsychology and Ecotherapy.

After a summer break, we return to explore the connection between the challenge of climate change and the way we feel about our lives; the interplay between what's going on 'out there' and what's happening 'in here', and how to stay sane in a mad world.

With rising depression, stress, alcoholism and substance abuse, suicide rates, fuel poverty, with the assumption that economic growth leads to increasing happiness being challenged and the cost of living spiralling, we ask:
    What if our response to climate change will also lead to better, more meaningful and fulfilling lives? And what if addressing our relationship with each other and the planet might lead simultaneously to personal rejuvenation and to a fairer, smarter world that could be better for everyone? What if climate change could be the catalyst for a positive transformation in societies and in ourselves that might otherwise not have happened?

What do you think?

See you there?

Greenspeak is organised in association with Brighton & Hove Green Party, aiming to stimulate discussion and engagement around the issues.
    www.brightonandhovegreenparty.org.uk / 01273 766670 (promoted by Nigel Tart on behalf of B&H Green Party, 39-41 Surrey St, Brighton BN1 3PB).

i got to the George for the free food tasting this evening and was waiting for Matt35mm so i didn't take any food to start with, but it was packed and they ran out of food by 6pm! bloody freeloaders! so upon hearing this i grabbed a plateful of what was left, i had some Thai green curry and mushroom in ale stew which is going to be the filling of a new pie on the menu.

both were nice although a little bit spicy for me. they had vegan haggis on the new menu which i didn't get to try. they didn't have the George burger or enchiladas on the menu today but i hope they won't have stopped doing them because they were my favourites.

cobweb

yum, vegan haggis (pity you didn't get any though )

i've never had vegan haggis. you think i'm missing out? i guess it was popular as it disappeared pretty quickly last night.

Zero

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i've never had vegan haggis. you think i'm missing out? i guess it was popular as it disappeared pretty quickly last night.
    I can imagine it would go quite quickly, but of a novelty item and something you normally see

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Macsween do vegan haggis http://www.macsween.co.uk/haggis/content.asp?PageID=20

It's not bad but always manages to fall apart when I cook it.

I was in B~right~on the other day and saw that Beanstalk had recently closed

Hi there - Does anyone know of any local goings-on for world Vegan Day?

hi Katy, i'm not aware of anything happening locally but if i hear about something i'll post it here.

i went to Iydea for the first time today i'd never been in there before because it always looks packed. i managed to get a table and had a curried sweet potato parcel and lots of side veg - very nice indeed and good value. i had a piece of apple and ginger cake too which was good.

i had tried to get a roast dinner in the White Rabbit pub opposite (having failed to find a seat in the Eagle) - they have a veggie option which i asked if they could veganise: they said no. so i asked if they could do anything vegan at all, to which they again said no. no willingness to cater for me at all, so it's their loss!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I can't decide if I like Iydea or Infinity Cafe best - but it's either my favourite or second favourite daytime place to eat!

it is good, i can't believe i've never been in there before. it always looks so crowded when i go past, which i guess is a good thing, as hopefully it's doing well. but then Beanstalk often looked full too and they've gone

i'm disappointed that Sussex and the City has closed down too - they weren't hugely vegan-friendly but they had some good products and i recommended them to non-veg*ns for buying locally-produced goods.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Asda used to sell when you and Corum both worth at the a***us!!
    Last edited by Hemlock; Oct 27th, 2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typical - corum stealing the limelight!! :D
    Silent but deadly :p

oh really? i didn't know that. i never thought to look

Quote Gorilla View Post
    it is good, i can't believe i've never been in there before. it always looks so crowded when i go past, which i guess is a good thing, as hopefully it's doing well. but then Beanstalk often looked full too and they've gone
    Does anyone know why Beanstalk closed? It did seem to be quite busy everytime I visited so I presume it wasn't due to lack of customers. I really liked their vegan sausage in a roll with onions.

I still haven't managed to get to Lewes yet to try those lovely cupcakes.

While you're next in Lewes, go to the Lewes Arms for a veggie burger, which is definitely vegan!
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Will do. Veggie burger with cupcakes for dessert. I think I've been to the Lewes Arms, but it was some time ago. Is a tiny pub down a back street? I didn't know they did veggie food.

I got some cupcakes today - bakewell, carrot & orange flower water and coffee & walnut flavours. Mays didn't have any savouries and Seasons was closed so I wish the idea of a pub lunch had occurred to me, especially since I wasn't driving today for a change.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but look....

The George has made the Times Top 10 Veggie 'restaurants' in Britain!!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle5023017.ece

I'm surprised it wasn't Terre a Terre of Food for Friends - I thought they'd go for a swankier place!
    (I'm glad though - I love the George on a cold winters day!)

Ah - I've just re-read it and seen that it is the it's Veggie society that chose - but still cool news!

cobweb

Quote Marrers View Post
    I got some cupcakes today - bakewell, carrot & orange flower water and coffee & walnut flavours. Mays didn't have any savouries and Seasons was closed so I wish the idea of a pub lunch had occurred to me, especially since I wasn't driving today for a change.

ooh, i really want some coffee and walnut cakes!
    might have to buy some coffee for that project tomorrow.......

Quote KatyB View Post
    Ah - I've just re-read it and seen that it is the it's Veggie society that chose - but still cool news!
    Bribed with quicker service vouchers and secret handshake reduced prices probably.
    I still like The George in spite of itself, half the time.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Same here!! I was quite reluctant to go the last time, but I'm glad I did!!

Quote green woman View Post
    Will do. Veggie burger with cupcakes for dessert. I think I've been to the Lewes Arms, but it was some time ago. Is a tiny pub down a back street? I didn't know they did veggie food.
    That's the one, it's just been taken over by Fullers, which is a major improvement on Greene King. For a start they've decorated the place!!

Sainsburys in Brighton is now selling two varieties of Scheese

I was just there.

Is Scheese good? What are its best applications?
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Scheese is very good. Strong cheddar style is best grated for traditional cheesy-type sandwiches (cheese and pickle is a British classic, and pickle is different here to gherkins which are called pickles 'over there'). Scheese is not much good for melty-cheese operations, where you're better off with Cheezly Mozzarella style.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Sainsburys in Brighton is now selling two varieties of Scheese
    Sainsburys everywhere sells Scheese – the one in Truro sold it when were there in March of this year.

Quote matt35mm View Post
    Sheese is not my favourite vegan cheese, i prefer Cheezly. but i bought the soft cheddar style to put on crackers, and it's ok.

Quote Corum View Post
    Sainsburys everywhere sells Scheese – the one in Truro sold it when were there in March of this year.
    surely not everywhere. i'd never seen it in my local store before. but then i don't usually go down the cheese aisle anyway. i wondered when it saw it yesterday how many vegans pass these things by because they don't even think to look at the cheese aisle, because it's usually just full of cow grossness.

They've also got it in Newhaven of all places
    We don't either but we don't go to Sainsburys normally, so we don't have a clue where anything is.

I used to hate cheeze until I had it at Vegcurrys house now we love it - funny how your taste changes when someone else is doing the cooking
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote matt35mm View Post
    I was just there.

There's a thread somewhere..
    I like it.
    Best applications: with some tomato in a sandwich. The blue Scheese makes a good sauce for pasta with nuts and soya milk.

VeganLiz

I am helping organise a fur demo outside Benetton, 8-9 North Street, Brighton on Thursday 11th December at 1800pm to protest against them selling a rabbit fur stole from China in the shop recently.

I am also organising a sign/banner making session at my house in preparation. Please pm me if you would like to come and want my address. Please could everyone bring cardboard, wood, markers, paints etc that they have for this!

Can you let me know if a) you can make the demo and b) you can come to the sign/banner making session and what materials you have.......

Liz : 0 )

I went to Infinity today (again! It's literally the only place I ever eat in Brighton...!) and tried the burger-YUM!!
    It was spicy puy lentil and mushroom burger, in a toasted bun with caramalised onions, and it comes with home made chips and a small salad of lettuce, sun dried tomatoes and olives. 7 pounds fifty pence.
    Managed to resist buying cake but couldn't quite get to the station without stopping at Budgins for some doughnuts...!

Tried the Elvis Burger at The George last night. That's the one that has fried banana and peanut butter in it. It tastes pretty good, but you have to like banana and peanut butter, because it basically tastes like a very hearty, savoury peanut butter sandwich.

Other than that, the only place I ever go to is Red Veg. I should probably branch out more. I've walked into Wai Ki Ka Moo Kau or whatever a couple of times, but it was always just closing at the time (they close quite early!). I dunno... I'm just always in the mood for Red Veg, so when I'm hungry I don't think to try somewhere new.

So, Brighton's pretty cool.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

I can't eat at the George, not after the last bad experience!
    I've given it a few fair tries but I've always been disappointed there, and I don't see the point in a risky lunch when Infinity has always been so good to me!

I was annoyed at myself for never trying the Beanstalk, other than a cookie which was bought for me. It seemed like a nice place, shame that it closed.

I have a friend who works at Red Veg so I only really ever go in to say hi and occasionally get him to make me a super burger

matt35mm you should definitely check out Iydea (opposite Wai Kika) though it closes around 5pm. But near closing time you can snap up a bargain as they put all the remaining food in takeaway containers and sell it for £2.50 while they clean up.

Quote Marrers View Post
    matt35mm you should definitely check out Iydea (opposite Wai Kika) though it closes around 5pm. But near closing time you can snap up a bargain as they put all the remaining food in takeaway containers and sell it for £2.50 while they clean up.
    Oooh. That sounds good. Thanks Marrers.
    x

Just ask what is vegan, save you looking through the boxes and trying to work it out yourself!

Mousee!!

i miss brightons food sources.... i have a favour to ask,-WOB is playing the Eveining Star on the 20th(im sure check it out) and i want to give him a good vegan mince pie recipe. anyone have one?cheers!

Bloody Hell!!! Wob's still going? I saw him when he was supporting some college mates of mine back in '96 at the Forum in Tunbridge Wells! He was cool while the main band sucked smurphs!!!!

Quote Troutina View Post
    I can't eat at the George, not after the last bad experience!
    I've given it a few fair tries but I've always been disappointed there, and I don't see the point in a risky lunch when Infinity has always been so good to me!

I was annoyed at myself for never trying the Beanstalk, other than a cookie which was bought for me. It seemed like a nice place, shame that it closed.

I have a friend who works at Red Veg so I only really ever go in to say hi and occasionally get him to make me a super burger
    the George has improved lots lately... I actually enjoyed the food there last time!

Quote Troutina View Post
    7 pounds fifty pence.
    Are you mad...? Rich... or what?

I would never spend that on a burger - never in a million years!

Quote seamus View Post
    WOB is playing the Eveining Star on the 20th(im sure check it out) and i want to give him a good vegan mince pie recipe.
    I've already told him where he can buy some (which he said he prefer rather than making them).