Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Zero

Default Re: Vegan Brighton

Quote Corum View Post
    the George has improved lots lately... I actually enjoyed the food there last time!
    Gorilla and I went to the George a couple of weeks ago, the food was good and the portions were huge. I had the sausage and mash with gravy.

The power had gone off on one side of the street so the lights were all off at the back of the place (where we sat as it was noisey toward the front) and they just had lots of candles lit, it created a really nice ambiance I thought

Quote Corum View Post
    the George has improved lots lately... I actually enjoyed the food there last time!

Are you mad...? Rich... or what?

I would never spend that on a burger - never in a million years!
    I don't think it's too much.
    It's almost all organic I would have thought, locally sourced food, and you're supporting a local positive business who provides 90% vegan menu.
    You'd pay that in a country pub.

Quote Troutina View Post
    Managed to resist buying cake but couldn't quite get to the station without stopping at Budgins for some doughnuts...!
    do you mean the convenience store next to the station? are you sure the doughnuts are vegan? i've never heard about that before.

Quote Zero View Post
    Gorilla and I went to the George a couple of weeks ago, the food was good and the portions were huge. I had the sausage and mash with gravy.

The power had gone off on one side of the street so the lights were all off at the back of the place (where we sat as it was noisey toward the front) and they just had lots of candles lit, it created a really nice ambiance I thought
    it was really nice in there, they should do that all the time the burger i had was good although pretty much the same as the old one. no sign on the menu of the vegan haggis they had at the free food tasting.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Troutina View Post
    I don't think it's too much.
    It's almost all organic I would have thought, locally sourced food, and you're supporting a local positive business who provides 90% vegan menu.
    You'd pay that in a country pub.
    erm... no you wouldn't - not by a long way. Country pubs don't have 'captive markets' like Brighton places are and therefore charge accordingly. Most pubs wouldn't charge more than a six at most for a burger with chips or whatever. That sort of price would make the rest of the menu, whether it was 90% vegan or no - way out of the price range of most customers.
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    do you mean the convenience store next to the station? are you sure the doughnuts are vegan? i've never heard about that before.
    They're the cuisine de France ones you get in some co-ops. The vanilla filled ones and jam ones are vegan.

VeganLiz

Just to let you guys know we have cancelled the benetton demo as they have written back saying they made a mistake and that they have withdrawn the fur stole and it is their policy not to sell fur. Schmucks!

Liz : 0 )

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    They're the cuisine de France ones you get in some co-ops. The vanilla filled ones and jam ones are vegan.
    Phew! I was getting worried about more donut mistakes....!

Quote VeganLiz View Post
    Just to let you guys know we have cancelled the benetton demo as they have written back saying they made a mistake and that they have withdrawn the fur stole and it is their policy not to sell fur. Schmucks!

Liz : 0 )
    Well done!! That's brilliant!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    awesome, i didn't know they sold those there, thanks guys. i bought me a bag this morning

good to hear Benetton have withdrawn the fur
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

vanilla or jam?

Both are good, but vanilla pip the jam!

i bought the jam ones, i forgot you said the vanilla were vegan as well, i'll have to try those next time!

Eww vanilla sounds yuck!!
    Jam all the way.

VeganLiz

CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION ROAST
    Come along to the Cowley Club, London Road, Brighton
    and enjoy a delicious roast
    SUNDAY 14TH DECEMBER
    At 1pm
    MENU
    Nut roast and all the trimmings
    Choice of desserts
    Mince Pies
    And all for the bargain price of £6
    PLUS **** A RAFFLE WITH SUPER PRIZES
    The meal is organised by Brighton Animal Action
    All profit will go towards next year’s
    Hen Rescue

VeganLiz

All the above food will be vegan and I will be there serving up my apple and sultanan strudel!

^ damn, i hadn't heard about this until now.

ditto
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

i received the following in an email today:

The Cowley Club Cafe and bookshop are now open Tues-Fridays 12-4pm for vegan meals, and Saturdays 10am-2pm for breakfasts. All food served is cooked on the premises from fresh ingredients by volunteers and meals only cost £1.80 - £3.

Thurs 25th, from 1pm: Xmas Day at the Cowley with a vegan lunch for £4.

Wed 31st, 8pm - Late: NEW YEARS EVE Slutdisko – diskofunkelectropunk dancing chaos - the most decently indecent sanely insane diskopunk/punkydisko ever. A 2008 boredom and dullness goodbye party.

January
    Thurs 1st, 8pm: Slutdisko NYE after party. Kill your hangover with a vegan
    lunch to boost energy and dance till you die.

Fri 2nd, 7.30pm: Brighton Punkfest with Gewapend Beton, The Shitty Limits, Sick Mormons, Restarts, Whole in the Head

Sat 3rd, 7.30pm: Brighton Punkfest with The Steal, Our Time down Here, Hot
    Damn, Break the Habit, Serf Combat

Thurs 8th, 8-9pm: Evening meal, Polenta with roasted vegetables and more

Sun 11th, 2-6pm: full tasty Sunday Roast fundraiser for Brighton ABC

stonze

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Wed 31st, 8pm - Late: NEW YEARS EVE Slutdisko – diskofunkelectropunk dancing chaos - the most decently indecent sanely insane diskopunk/punkydisko ever. A 2008 boredom and dullness goodbye party.

January
    Thurs 1st, 8pm: Slutdisko NYE after party. Kill your hangover with a vegan
    lunch to boost energy and dance till you die.
    Sounds like a fantastic way to start the new year.

I went to Seasons, in Lewes yesterday- had a lovely Russian vegetable soup with bread to takeaway and it was only 1.50! Cheapy. They knew what was vegan, and also had burgers, stew, pie and many desserts- though I'm not sure which were vegan.

It's pretty small but really cute and cosey and I'd like to go back to eat in!

Talking seasons of lewes

yeh i just discovered seasons in lewes a few months ago, stumbled across it by accident, and have been there twice now- i would totally recommend this place. its great for vegans, at least 3/4 of the menu is vegan, got a great, cosy atmosphere and really friendly staff. its just on the high street.
    x x x

Hi there Brighton vegans

A friend told me there is a Vegan Fayre in Brighton some time in the spring. As a new vegan Im looking for tips and think this would be a good place to get some tips and tasty snacks. Do any of you know anything about this event???

I went to find you the link but see you already found it.

In case anyone else wants it - http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20729
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hi. We're in Brighton for the next two days. Does anyone know a place that would be suitable for a mixed vegetarian/vegan party to eat that is near Churchill Square? One of our party has limited mobility, and closeness to Churchill Square is the most important factor after availability of vegan food. We're told that "The Mad Hatter" would be one option, but are there any others?

I'll check this thread tomorrow morning, but after that, we'll have had made our decision.

The Bombay Aloo in Ship Street is near, if a little bland, but all veg*an and has the vegan food marked.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

What a shame, there isn't much that end. I'm not sure how vegan friendly the Mad Hatter is, I think some days it's better than others, but you should be able to get something. I've never eaten there. (Is it about the same distance as Bombay Aloo Horseless Paul?)

If it was me I'd be tempted to get a cab to The George, Infinity Cafe or Iydea though . . .
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    (Is it about the same distance as Bombay Aloo Horseless Paul?)
    Pretty much, but it might be easier to get to Ship Street.
    Quote Marrers View Post
    If it was me I'd be tempted to get a cab to The George, Infinity Cafe or Iydea though . . .
    Good call, imo.

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Pretty much, but it might be easier to get to Ship Street.
    It involves a slight hill though (not sure if the person with mobility problems would find that a struggle). It is downhill to get from Churchill Square to Ship Street and obviously uphill to get to Churchill Square from there.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

True. That vs. Loony Western Rd shoppers..

Cab . . . definitely!

Thanks for the pointers everyone. It may be a taxi for some of us, with the rest of us walking.

hope you find somewhere Ross, i don't think i've ever been in the Mad Hatter but it's still a fair way from Churchill Square if someone has difficulty getting about. i think a taxi is the better option but be warned they're pretty expensive in Brighton.

i was in the St George pub in Kemp Town (Upper Sudeley Street i think it is - near the RSCH) - not to be confused with THE George they have a couple of vegan meals on the menu. a houmous sandwich for about £4.50 and satay veggies with rice for about £7.00. not cheap but it's a nice pub.

Seasons of Lewes is lovely, a really nice place to go in winter as it's so cosy. does anyone know if a veggie cafe/restaurant in Worthing also called Seasons is connected to them? i'm thinking of checking it out at the weekend.

Thanks for the tip about the St George Gorilla. (I'm pretty sure the two Seasons cafes aren't related.)

Quote Fanny View Post
    Hi there Brighton vegans

A friend told me there is a Vegan Fayre in Brighton some time in the spring. As a new vegan Im looking for tips and think this would be a good place to get some tips and tasty snacks. Do any of you know anything about this event???
    Not sure of the exact address but a search for "brighton vegan fayre" will bring it up. It's first one apparently but from photos of the Bristol one they organise it looks like a proper day out!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Seasons of Lewes is lovely, a really nice place to go in winter as it's so cosy. does anyone know if a veggie cafe/restaurant in Worthing also called Seasons is connected to them? i'm thinking of checking it out at the weekend.
    I'm afraid that Seasons in Worthing is long gone, Gorilla. I presume you did an internet search which showed Seasons Wholefood Vegetarian Restaurant in Crescent Road? If that's the case the info is well out of date as Seasons went many years ago. To the best of my knowledge there are no vegetarian eating places in Worthing now. There used to be 3 or 4 but they all closed down. The last veggie cafe to go was in Methvens book shop. It was really nice and you could get vegan sandwiches and hot soya milk chocolate but Methvens in their wisdom decided it should go despite the fact that it was very popular.

Zero

^Thats a damn shame!

oh noes! yes indeed it was on an internet search, that's the trouble with websites that don't get updated very often.

Worthing's a veggie/vegan desert, so different to Brighton.

I wonder how RossClement got on with his lunch. Let us know what you did over your two day trip when you get back Ross!

One of my 2009 plans is to atcually get to Brighton as Ive never been.

Im thinking of possibly going sometime over the summer - just a mini break and of course to visit some of these wow sounding vegan places to eat and shop Ive heard so much about vegetarian shoes is top of my list too! Id like to see all the sights and any museums etc too.

Thinking of 2 or 3 nights as I know parents are ok with the guineas/rabbit and Jed for a few days but wouldnt want to be away longer.

Id have to come via London with the trains from the Midlands so did wonder about an overnight in London to break the journey but dont think It would make a difference really?

So do those Brighton folks on here think Il see a fair bit of Brighton in 2 or 3 days?

Thanks

Quote alisont View Post
    Id have to come via London with the trains from the Midlands so did wonder about an overnight in London to break the journey but dont think It would make a difference really?

So do those Brighton folks on here think Il see a fair bit of Brighton in 2 or 3 days?
    I don't live in Brighton but I visit regularly and I think 3 days would be enough to see Brighton's main attractions.

I wouldn't bother staying overnight in London. The journey from there to Brighton doesn't take very long and you'd be wasting time in London that could be spent in Brighton.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself there

Zero

Quote alisont View Post
    If you are planning to get an open return it is about £17 cheaper to go via Kensington Olympia rather than central London. If you intend to get advance tickets (specified trains only) doesn't make any difference which way you go

Quote alisont View Post

i agree that there's no need to stay overnight in London really. i think 2 or 3 days is plenty of time to do lots - Brighton's actually very small and all the interesting things are concentrated around a small area. pretty much all the good shops, restaurants and museums are within a few minutes walking distance of each other.

Thanks, have managed to get a few nights booked in August with the good ol Travelodge sale, so this year I finally get to visit Brighton

Time to save for a visit to the Vegetarian shoe shop.

Il post nearer the time in case anyone fancies meeting up for food/drink when Im there, and have a friend in Worthing Il see if I can meet up with too.

Will try to book advance tickets nearer the time with the trains, work out the cheapest route Ive got a student railcard so shouldnt be too bad?

Zero didnt know you could go via Kensington Olympia? Is that from the Midlands?

Quote alisont View Post
    thought you had to change at Watford to do that since they scrapped the Brighton - Gatwick - Manchester route

I thought the midland mainline trains went through Luton because I'm sure I have got on them before. Either way from Luton you can get a train direct to Brighton without changing.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

virgin cross country used to run direct manchester - brum - watford - kensington olympia - Croydon - Gatwick - Brighton but Cross Country has scrapped this sadly. So you change from Virgin to Southern at Watford on that route now. Dunno about London Midland and the other comapnies though.

Buddha Belly

Me and helen are going down for the vegan fair thingy. We are booking a hotel 3 doors down! Its possible to do a day visit but we have meant to go for a weekend for the last couple of years. This is a good excuse to go.
    Last time i went was for work training and i enjoyed it so much. I was veggie then and found too many places to eat.

Zero

Quote alisont View Post
    Yes thats from the Midlands, are you leaving from Birmingham?

You don't actually change at Kensington Olympia, you just need to put that in as the via in your route.

Quote bradders View Post
    thought you had to change at Watford to do that since they scrapped the Brighton - Gatwick - Manchester route
    It's Birmingham to Watford then Clapham Junction then Brighton usually.

Going through London Euston it's the same number of changes and saves nothing more than several minutes overall - Birmingham to Euston then Victoria then Brighton.

If you buy the Advance single tickets though it's sometimes about £8 each way

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I thought the midland mainline trains went through Luton because I'm sure I have got on them before. Either way from Luton you can get a train direct to Brighton without changing.
    First Capital Connect trains go direct from Bedford and Luton to Brighton, via St Pancras and London Bridge.

Quote eco View Post
    Worthing's a veggie/vegan desert, so different to Brighton.
    Worthing's not a complete food desert despite the veggie places closing down, ok it's nowhere near as good as Brighton but Zero and i ate at the Imperial China restaurant on Friday night which was lovely, they were short of tofu but managed to find a bit at the back of the fridge for us! we had satay tofu, spring rolls and lettuce wraps to start and sweet & sour veg, pak choi in garlic sauce and stir fried mushrooms & beansprouts with steamed rice, really good

on Saturday we found the Wetherspoons and sampled the curry, followed by dinner in Pizza Express. the Co-op superstore sells vegan doughnuts too. so we had plenty of good food

Quote Gorilla View Post

We had satay tofu, spring rolls and lettuce wraps to start and sweet & sour veg, pak choi in garlic sauce and stir fried mushrooms & beansprouts with steamed rice, really good

on Saturday we found the Wetherspoons and sampled the curry, followed by dinner in Pizza Express. the Co-op superstore sells vegan doughnuts too. so we had plenty of good food
    That sounds like the best food weekend ever!!
    Can we eat spring rolls at a chinese?
    I never ask, and miss them loads!
    That Co-op is pretty good; I've managed to buy doughnuts there too, and so nice to see them labelled!
    And flying saucers, mmm!

Zero

Quote Troutina View Post
    Can we eat spring rolls at a chinese?
    Just ask them whether they use egg in them, a lot of times it's just rice paper wraps with veggies in them deep fried.

Have you had Vietnamese spring rolls? Basically the same thing but they don't deep fry them, they are awesome but not many places have them on the menu.