Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton

Quote Zero View Post
    Yes thats from the Midlands, are you leaving from Birmingham?

You don't actually change at Kensington Olympia, you just need to put that in as the via in your route.

It's Birmingham to Watford then Clapham Junction then Brighton usually.

Going through London Euston it's the same number of changes and saves nothing more than several minutes overall - Birmingham to Euston then Victoria then Brighton.

If you buy the Advance single tickets though it's sometimes about £8 each way
    Il have a look in advance think August tickets out sometime in May, but the cheap ones will go fast. Id head to Birmingham to get a London train I guess go via Euston and tube it to Victoria for the Brighton train (Im not the best on the tube esp if I have luggage as I am not keen on downwards escalators but when in London if the tubes the most direct Il use it if no bus available) might do the via Kensington route if a lot cheaper?

mini word of advice, at clapham the brighton trains are on a different platform pretty far from the london overground trains that come from watford (though if you get the southern then there's no real issue here) and there are no lifts or escalators, just normal stairs (16 platforms and a gap between the two groups of platforms)
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Thanks Bradders will check all the routes once they release advance tickets. At the mo thinking Il go via Euston and tube it across to Victoria, but will see what deals are going nearer the time. Am better with the tubes now - Im just one of those annoying people who holds everyone up on the escalator whilst I faff about getting on If I can walk or get a bus I do but sometimes the tube is the quickest less hassle option!

just keep you and your luggage to the right and don't stop the normal people who walk on the escalator in London

Zero

Quote alisont View Post
    might do the via Kensington route if a lot cheaper?
    Just have a look what option suits best near the time But yeah the Kensington route is generally a lot cheaper on an off peak open return.

Bradders, if Alison is coming from Watford she wouldn't be on a London Overground train it would be a Southern Train, the Brighton train is actually a Southern Service from platform 13 the one from Watford stops on 17, but yes there are a few stairs to deal with.

(Also, something to note: The train from Watford actually goes to Brighton but it goes the long way and takes ages so you change at Clapham and get a more direct one to take some time off the journey. I make this journey quite often )

Quote bradders View Post
    just keep you and your luggage to the right and don't stop the normal people who walk on the escalator in London
    Its the fact for some unknow reason I have to get on a downwards escalator on the left side then move across that must really annoy people

Quote Zero View Post
    Just have a look what option suits best near the time But yeah the Kensington route is generally a lot cheaper on an off peak open return.

Bradders, if Alison is coming from Watford she wouldn't be on a London Overground train it would be a Southern Train, the Brighton train is actually a Southern Service from platform 13 the one from Watford stops on 17, but yes there are a few stairs to deal with.

(Also, something to note: The train from Watford actually goes to Brighton but it goes the long way and takes ages so you change at Clapham and get a more direct one to take some time off the journey. I make this journey quite often )
    Il have a look nearer the time and might well be quizzing you again then am glad my student railcards valid til October as not sure Il get another one - this year they have written 'mature student' on it and now Its called 16-25 railcard at 35 this might be my last year!

(london overground and southern are the same route between watford and clapham just the overground is more frequent, at least it was a while back and the southern misses out a few stops)

Zero

You can't go from Watford Junction to Clapham Junction on London Overground direct, you would have to change at Willesden Junction and that would take 18 minutes longer than the Southern Service.

oh, they must have changed things, I did early last year (2008)

Zero

Fair enough squire

not that I particularly enjoy an in depth discussion of trains in London

Zero

Seemed like you were enjoying it to me

I only enjoy it when I am proving to a Boris voting twit what a terrible crime they have committed by voting in that way.

VeganLiz

Just a head's up for those who are in Sussex this weekend:

Lewes Well being Fair

Saturday 10th Jan 10.30-6pm and Sunday 11th Jan 11.00am-5.30pm

This fair has talks, workshops and stalls on complimentary therapies, personal growth and spiritual awareness. Also live music, creative children's area, free talks/workshops and demos on wellbeing etc

For more info visit: www.starcommunities.com

It only costs £3.00 entry (£5 for two days)
    Concessions £2.50 (2 day pass £3.50)

I am running a feng shui stall there and have some spare free tickets to get in so if you want them pm me.... Not sure re food options but I seem to remember they had vegan food last time I went.

Liz x

VeganLiz

Forgot to say that the Wellbeing fair is at The Corn Exchange (Town Hall) and Assembly Rooms in Lewes....

VeganLiz

Sadly - one of my favourite independent ethical shops in Brighton is closing : 0 ( The only good news is they have lots of vegan stuff in there sale. They have matt and natt handbags and wallets and beautiful beyond skin shoes from £30 (usually they are about £150 plus).

The shop is Lulie B 39B Sydney Street, Brighton BN14EP - as you are walking through the lanes take the first right after the bonsai and eco-logic shops then lulie-B is on the left.

I spoke to the owner and she said they will be open for about another month then closing for good....

that's a shame, although i've never bought anything in there because it's way out of my budget - probably why they're closing
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I never knew about them having vegan stuff or I would have had a look.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Default Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

sorry about the short notice but i've only just read the email:

Cowley Club Events in January
    Thur 22nd, 8pm - 9pm: Evening meal in the bar - Vegan Pizza Feast. £3.

Thur 29th, 8pm - 9pm: Evening meal in the bar - 'Orient Express' - £3

i might be there tomorrow, but i'm not sure if you need to be a member for the evening meals
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i might be there tomorrow, but i'm not sure if you need to be a member for the evening meals
    NOPE! Guests are always welcome. You simply sign in at the door.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

You two want to meet up for pizza tomorrow then? I think the BassPixie is free also.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

that could be a good idea i'll see if i'm not feeling too tired after work tomorrow.

Excellent. Keep in touch via the wndrfl mdim of txt thn.
    x

Yeahhhh sounds good to me. I haven't yet met BassPixie, and haven't seen y'all in a while, and PIZZA.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Nice, I can't make it until 8:30 though due to playing soccerball until 8.

VeganLiz

Just to let you guys know that there is the next meeting of the Vegan Cake and Chocolate Appreciation Society will be from 1.30pm on Saturday 31st January at Rachel's (one of our members address) in the hanover area of Brighton. We are a social group that meets monthly to share vegan food and chat. In the summer we have picnics and in the winter we go to different members addresses. Please pm me if you would like to come on the 31st and want the full address....

Please bring only vegan cakes and/or chocolates although if you prefer savoury food that is also fine! We will also be discussing running a stall at the Brighton Vegan fair.

Hope you can make it...

Liz : 0 )

PS We have a facebook group you can also join!

on the rare occasions i visit brighton i always head to the infinity bakery, my heavenly lord upon high that bread is goooood!

for information, i went to The Chimney House in Upper Hamilton Road last night with some work colleagues. it's a nice pub and they actually state on their wine list which wines are vegan, very unusual for a non-veggie pub in my experience. their food menu doesn't have any vegan meals listed, if i'd been staying for food i might've asked them to make something as they seemed like they'd be pretty accommodating, but i was just sharing a few bottles of the house red

I was disappointed to see that Infinity Cafe's chef's special is no longer always vegan, even on weekdays. On Wednesday it was a cheesey dish.

In fact I was told some days there would be no chef's special at all (which there wasn't yesterday).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I just had an amazing vegan breakfast at The Cowley Club. It said amazing on the chalkboard outside...
    and it was. AND it was three and a half quid. I gave them a fiver.
    Blummin' anarchists.

Quote alisont View Post
    One of my 2009 plans is to atcually get to Brighton as Ive never been.

Im thinking of possibly going sometime over the summer - just a mini break and of course to visit some of these wow sounding vegan places to eat and shop Ive heard so much about vegetarian shoes is top of my list too! Id like to see all the sights and any museums etc too.

Thinking of 2 or 3 nights as I know parents are ok with the guineas/rabbit and Jed for a few days but wouldnt want to be away longer.

Id have to come via London with the trains from the Midlands so did wonder about an overnight in London to break the journey but dont think It would make a difference really?

So do those Brighton folks on here think Il see a fair bit of Brighton in 2 or 3 days?

Thanks
    You have the same idea as me, but I'd be travelling from North Wales. Maybe we could all meet up for food and some of the Brighton dwellers could give us a guided tour of great places to eat and shop in Brighton

VeganLiz

Just wanted to make you all aware of a new fab shop in Brighton that has been around several months but is tucked away so needs more trade. It is called Gossypium and they also have a shop in Lewes. They make organic fair trade clothing for men women and children and bedding/tea towels/towels etc - it is great for funky "pants to poverty" underwear, yogawear, basic tops and t-shirts, nightwear, bedding and the most gorgeous baby clothes. The service is really good and they are a local independent company.

The address is 19 Brighton Place
    The Lanes
    Brighton
    East Sussex BN1 1HJ

At the bottom of North Street turn right past kurt geiger then turn right before monsoon. Then bear right and the shop is on your right before you get to the apple shop.

They will temporarily be moving to the old site of mango (for 6 weeks only) which is next to kurt geiger on North Street. That is so to get more business/noticed in Brighton as there current location is tucked away a bit.

Please support this great company (and no I don't work there but do buy lots of their pants and other stuff!!!) There website is www.gossypium.co.uk

Liz x

VeganLiz

Marrers - I walked past yesterday and Lulie-B is still open so have a look next time you are in Brighton...

Liz x

thanks Liz - i didn't know Gossypium had a shop in Brighton, i've bought their stuff online before and it's good.

VeganLiz

In case anyone is available there is a demo in Hove tonight.....I will be there probably wearing a horse mask and a sign with "I love horses and foxes... keep the hunting ban!"

David Cameronwill be in Hove on Fri 13th Feb to answer questions from the public(event is free and open to residents ofBrighton & Hove and you can apply for tickets by ringing 01273 358300)atThe Old Market Theatre, Upper Market St, Hove (just off Western Road, Hove) from 6.45 - 8pm.Would be good to get a demo outside to let people know his plans to bring back hunting, as well as having a couple of knowledgeable and articulate people inside to ask a question.

I just got sent an e-voucher for Food for Friends which they seem to be happy to have passed on; hope this works:

http://www.uploadlibrary.com/foodfor...rsevoucher.pdf

I don't think it's particularly cheap compared with their lunchtime deals but it might be worthwhile for the evening (only works Mon-Thur though). Note that you're meant to mention the offer when booking.

Ooh amazing!!
    I've been meaning to go back there, it's one of my favourite restaurants.

apparently the owners of the former veggie cafe in Methvens in Worthing are planning to re-open in a new venue in the town:

http://www.ooffoo.com/listing/New-et...ngjoin-us.aspx

Hello,

We are Gaia Café Community Interest Company, based in Worthing. We are writing this piece to inform you of an exciting project we’re involved in and to extend an invitation to those who might be interested in becoming involved...

We are in the in the process of creating a café within St Pauls Community and Performing Arts Centre, a new community space in a Grade II* listed redundant church building in Worthing town centre (West Sussex), undergoing the final stages of refurbishment.

Gaia Café is built on strong ethics, championing organic, local and fair trade produce. In our capacity as the Centre café, we intend to offer ourselves as the focal point for the gathering of the growing ‘green’ community, to promote and showcase the philosophy on which we are founded, that of ethical awareness and the right exercising of consumer power. The café will seat 40-60 people and we will be hosting such things as the emerging Worthing Transition Initiative, local producer talks, Fairtrade events, Slow Food, Knit & Natter and an area for retail...

St Paul’s is a beautiful space architecturally and is full of potential. The building itself can seat up to 150 people and so is looking forward to a lively and varied programme of performance, exhibitions and recitals, as well as offering a place for community groups to meet – all of which the café will support.

This is our second café. We ran our first one in Methven’s Bookshop in Worthing and due to a change of bookshop management, have taken the opportunity to relocate and evolve the venture.
    As St Paul’s is in the final stages of its renovation, we aren’t up and running yet, and there’s been a break of almost a year since our last café closed. Consequently the staff that we worked with there have moved on to other projects and we are looking to gather a new team.

To this end, we are casting the net wide to invite participation from other likeminded and interested people to join this project.

We are looking for
    • a café manager, possibly job share
    • a café cook, enthusiastic and passionate about veggie food. The café will have a full kitchen, although the menu is planned to start small, with room to grow according to who is in this role.
    • We would also welcome interest from anyone wishing to work in the daily running of the café, serving food, building good customer relations, using the till, making teas and coffees (full barista training given – we are keen to maintain our reputation of serving perhaps the finest coffee in the town!)

We are in the process of applying for funding and so initially hope to fill the above positions with willing and enthusiastic volunteers, but we are hoping to be able to offer a salary as soon as possible to the café manager.

We’re delighted to have this opportunity in our hands to invite the participation of those who share a common interest and passion in our role as responsible custodians of our planet, and who might evolve it further with us…

Please feel free to pass this on to those you think might be interested and do contact us if you'd like to know any further information. We’ll be arranging a meeting in the next couple of weeks to gather together interested parties....

Many thanks
    Best wishes

Emily Longhurst & Rosemary Lewis
    Gaia Café Community Interest Company

gaiacafe@gmail.com

I've just heard about this place in Brighton, on Coombe Road (off Lewes Road).
    Manna
    Manna is a pioneering consciousness hub located in Brighton in the UK. First off, our organic vegetarian cafe / restaurant / deli only serves the finest & tastiest raw and living cuisine. This basically means we do not cook our foods at Manna; we like to keep everything alive and vibrantly buzzing. We also have Brighton's best water on tap courtesy of the widely acclaimed Gematria, activation system.

At Manna we offer an enlivening and conscious environment for individuals, friends, lovers, groups and parties. We provide a Galaxy of Vitality for Brighton and beyond, and we are here to serve and assist the progression and harmony of your life’s unfolding.

Manna is a live food deli, a cake and fresh raw chocolate emporium, a juice and smoothie bar, a kombucha and herbal tea tavern, a holistic super-lifestyle shop and a highly acclaimed nutritional and spiritual bookstore. Manna has a therapy space and holistic treatments on the first floor. Manna is a stimulating events hub holding regular talks, workshops, gatherings and conscious film screenings, alongside intimate live music performances.

^ i used to live really near there - why couldn't they have opened before i moved?!

We also have Brighton's best water on tap courtesy of the widely acclaimed Gematria, activation system.
    I had to look this up, I don't think I've ever read such rubbish...

http://www.galaxyofvitality.com/shop...activator.html

From the sounds of it their water is almost as good as peckham spring water.

Good to hear about the cafe in Worthing, hopefully shouldn't be long before I move there.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    I had to look this up, I don't think I've ever read such rubbish...
    i ignored that and the new-age weirdness on their home page ("We are here to rejuvenate, revitalise and reduce our amnesia to the fact that we are Gods." ) and concentrated on the veggie burgers and cakes i doubt i'll get much chance to visit there anyway, though.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    apparently the owners of the former veggie cafe in Methvens in Worthing are planning to re-open in a new venue in the town:

http://www.ooffoo.com/listing/New-ethical-cafe-venture-in-Worthingjoin-us.aspx
    This is good news, a veggie place in Worthing at last, thanks for posting, Gorilla
    I used to go to the Gaia cafe when it was in Methvens, the people there were very nice and I'm pleased to see they're planning another venture.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I was disappointed to see that Infinity Cafe's chef's special is no longer always vegan, even on weekdays. On Wednesday it was a cheesey dish.
    In fact I was told some days there would be no chef's special at all (which there wasn't yesterday).
    To add to my disappointment you now have to wait for all food to be prepared so I had to wait over 20 minutes for the chef's special the other day. They used to have the stuff hot and ready to serve from a bain-marie.
    Yesterday it was about 5 minutes before I got my soup (there was no chef's special).
    So it is no longer a good place for a quick bite and a less attractive option when eating alone, unless you have some reading material.

They also had just two cakes available yesterday which is unusual. Only one was vegan.

oh dear, it sounds like they've taken a serious turn for the worse. i haven't been in there for a couple of months. perhaps the management's changed? did you speak to anyone in there? i'd probably be too shy to say anything to someone in person

This doesn't sound good

I finally went to Terre a Terre last night!
    The food is absolutely amazing. We shared the tapas to start- I recommend this!
    It has a little of lots of dishes, really delicious. Though it came non-vegan (some cheese on one of the dishes) but they quickly brought us a new one. For main my boyfriend had Porcini Pudding and Cranberry Kraut which was yum. Especially the mashed potato and gravy. However my main came as non-vegan aswell. They apologised a lot, said they were making a replacement as quickly as possible, and took the dish off the bill. So even though they made a mistake (again!) they did make up for it in service and deducting it from the bill. I had the Rosti Revisited, which was AMAZING! It was a potato rosti, in pea sauce, with creamy spinach on top, and tofu in hoisin sauce and sesame seeds. It was cooked beautifully. For dessert- ooooh mmyyyyy- I had Rain Vodka Cherry Chocolate Churros. Don't ask. Just order it.

So all in all I can't wait to go back!

that sounds really good Troutina, shame they made mistakes but always good to get some money off the bill! they have a choice of vegan mains now then? they only had one the last time i went there. the dessert sounds especially yum.

They have 2 or 3 vegan options for main, and even though I found it tricky de-coding the menu (they word the dishes in strange ways, you just have to take a guess!) I don't think it even matters what you order, it all tastes so good!
    The dessert is just orgasmic.

they do insist on making the menus hard to understand sounds like i'll have to save some pennies and make a visit!