Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

I was in Infinity Cafe at the weekend and apparently they have a new chef which is why things have changed a bit. I'm pleased to say there was plenty of vegan cake available. It was extremely busy and I had to wait longer than usual for my order but I think that was just due to the high number of customers.

Thank gawd about the plentiful cake! I'd be lost if they stopped doing it.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

i have heard that a vegan families social group for the Brighton and Hove area is in the offing. not sure if anyone on here would be interested but the email is leeoleebythesea@yahoo.co.uk if you want to get involved.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I found the chip shop people were talking about on the Brighton Fayre thread. It's on the seafront on the corner of Ship Street (just called Fish & Chips, the sign is white writing on a royal blue background). They fry their chips seperately from everything else.

No chefs special in Infinity Cafe again today and nothing inspiring in Iydea (same dishes as yesterday ) so I had the credit crunch cheap 3 course meal for £12 in Terre a Terre today. Very tasty!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    I found the chip shop people were talking about on the Brighton Fayre thread. It's on the seafront on the corner of Ship Street (just called Fish & Chips, the sign is white writing on a royal blue background). They fry their chips seperately from everything else.

No chefs special in Infinity Cafe again today and nothing inspiring in Iydea (same dishes as yesterday ) so I had the credit crunch cheap 3 course meal for £12 in Terre a Terre today. Very tasty!
    Oh my days, I might be in Brighton tomorrow- I want this lunch!!!

You can get it in the evenings too Troutina, I think it is only during the week though - check the website. Both starters are vegan, one of the two mains is and you get 3 vegan truffles for the vegan option dessert.

Meant to say that Infinity cafe is now giving 10% off to Viva! members (although I forgot about it when buying my cake today).

I hope the special cheap lunch is still on in August when I finally get to Brighton

Will have to try that chippy

Quote Marrers View Post
    I had the credit crunch cheap 3 course meal for £12 in Terre a Terre today. Very tasty!
    Quote Marrers View Post
    Meant to say that Infinity cafe is now giving 10% off to Viva! members (although I forgot about it when buying my cake today).
    thanks, i didn't know about either of these.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Marrers View Post
    You can get it in the evenings too Troutina, I think it is only during the week though - check the website. Both starters are vegan, one of the two mains is and you get 3 vegan truffles for the vegan option dessert.

What's the vegan main option like?
    To be honest judging from my one and only visit, everything they make is THE BEST

Today I had the BEST food day. Bought a chelsea bun from Infinity Shop, went to coffee shop and ate bun with coffee. Then went to Infinity Cafe and had the Mezze plate for one, which costs 7 pounds, and is aaammmaazzziiinnng. Falafel, tofu, salads, bread, four dishes of dips including houmous, olives, oh my! I was stuffed! Then back to Infinity Shop for bread and garlic&herb Sheese (after tasting many samples at the Fayre!) which I'll have for supper with some chocolate chip cookies I made last night.

I really enjoyed the vegan main:-
    Boom and Bust Bad Boy Bringal
    Chaat spiced poori layered with black salt smashed potato, chana peas,
    and aubergine relish, heaped with mint and coriander, finished with
    coconut limey tamarind tang.
    The portions aren't as big as from the normal menu but with 3 courses it was plenty, and great value.

(I've had one of those chelsea buns too, I'd never had one before going vegan so it was my first one ever!)

Quote Marrers View Post
    I really enjoyed the vegan main:-

The portions aren't as big as from the normal menu but with 3 courses it was plenty, and great value.

(I've had one of those chelsea buns too, I'd never had one before going vegan so it was my first one ever!)
    Chelsea buns were my favourite!
    Though they always came with water icing, which these don't.

The 3 course meal sounds really great value, though the thought of not having the amazing doughnut dessert makes me sad!

You could always have the doughnuts as well!

Quote Marrers View Post
    You could always have the doughnuts as well!
    ...you're a GENIUS.

Where do those in the know suggest as the best place for a 'traditional' sunday lunch in Brighton? I've read various reviews of The George on other sites and there seems to be agreement that it's not great anymore (I've never been - is it worth it?) I've seen that Food for Friends do a sunday lunch - does anyone know if there's a vegan option? Thanks!

i haven't had the George Sunday lunch for ages so i don't know what it's like now, but it used to be good IMO. i also used to like the Caroline of Brunswick, but i haven't been there for a while either and i don't know if they still do a vegan option.

Food For Friends is very vegan-friendly so i would imagine they would do a vegan option on Sundays.

i've been forwarded an email looking for staff for a new vegan restaurant in the Brighton area, i wonder if it's Heather Mills' new place. they want chefs, a manager, assistant manager and waiting staff. if anyone would be interested in applying let me know and i'll forward you the email.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Food For Friends is very vegan-friendly so i would imagine they would do a vegan option on Sundays.
    Maybe I'll give them a call then - thanks

The Hop Poles is good too but they also serve meat of course. If you aren't looking for a nut roast The Earth & Stars do a nice veggie pie.

Quote Marrers View Post
    The Hop Poles is good too but they also serve meat of course. If you aren't looking for a nut roast The Earth & Stars do a nice veggie pie.
    Oww, pie sounds very good. Anything with gravy and roast potatoes is my idea of a good sunday lunch. Are they both in the city centre Marrers?

if anyone is interested...

"The first Brighton vegan families group meet-up is happening on Sunday 26th April, 11-1pm at the Phoenix Community Centre, Phoenix Place, Brighton. Please come and support this new group (which is open to all ideas for how it should run), meet new people, share food and show our kids they're not the only vegan kids around."

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    Where do those in the know suggest as the best place for a 'traditional' sunday lunch in Brighton? I've read various reviews of The George on other sites and there seems to be agreement that it's not great anymore (I've never been - is it worth it?) I've seen that Food for Friends do a sunday lunch - does anyone know if there's a vegan option? Thanks!
    Some info on the George- years ago I loved this place, then over the last couple of years in my opinion it went really downhill (always seemed to bring out the veggie instead of vegan option, food wasn't that great etc) but since they have had new management, when I have been there in the last few months (3 or four times) every time has been really good. Food much nicer, much better service, always bring out what you ordered (which is fairly important I'd say!! ) Not been there for the sunday lunch but can recommend the burgers (fry's) and thai green curry.

I have real hit and miss experience with Food for Friends. They often also brought out the wrong dish and didn't know basic things like what was vegan, and a couple of the dishes are a bit bland tasting, whilst others are nice. but i did go once in the last 6 months for lunch and it was nice. Again I haven't had sunday lunch there... Some of their meals are vegan but not the majority.

The cowley club is supposed to be great for sunday roast. go early if you do go here, as its popular.

St george's Inn in kemptown also do vegan sunday roast, but i've yet to try this out too!! its a nice pub though.

xx

Thanks for the advice yo-yo! Maybe the George is worth a shot then. I guess it's not possible to book a table at the Cowley Club? I'll be gutted if it's full and we end up wondering around looking for somewhere that's suitable and not packed so I'd like to book something in advance really.
    'Scuse my ignorance but I guess Kemptown isn't in the city centre?

Thanks for the advice yo-yo! Maybe the George is worth a shot then. I guess it's not possible to book a table at the Cowley Club? I'll be gutted if it's full and we end up wondering around looking for somewhere that's suitable and not packed so I'd like to book something in advance really.
    'Scuse my ignorance but I guess Kemptown isn't in the city centre?
    hey. no you can't book at the cowley, its a social centre so doesn't work like a restaurant, you just turn up and hope for the best! so maybe you'd be best to try somewhere else if you need to book..

sorry, yeh, kemptown is away from the centre, you're right. its not too far though, you can easily walk from town, its maybe a 25/30 minute walk from where all the main shops are and a little longer from the train station. you could get a bus to eastern road, quite a few buses go here from town. it's here:

http://www.multimap.com/s/JHVofbxr

good luck wherever you end up! xx

Quote yo-yo View Post
    hey. no you can't book at the cowley, its a social centre so doesn't work like a restaurant, you just turn up and hope for the best! so maybe you'd be best to try somewhere else if you need to book..

sorry, yeh, kemptown is away from the centre, you're right. its not too far though, you can easily walk from town, its maybe a 25/30 minute walk from where all the main shops are and a little longer from the train station. you could get a bus to eastern road, quite a few buses go here from town. it's here:

http://www.multimap.com/s/JHVofbxr

good luck wherever you end up! xx
    Thanks for the info yo-yo - sounds like kempton is quite easy to get to. I'll give that pub a call and see what they have. Going in May so will post my experiences of all the eateries I've been to when I get back - going for 2 days and don't think my stomach has the capacity for all the food I want to try (big breakfast, lunch, afternoon cake, 3 course dinner...)!

Thanks for the info yo-yo - sounds like kempton is quite easy to get to. I'll give that pub a call and see what they have. Going in May so will post my experiences of all the eateries I've been to when I get back - going for 2 days and don't think my stomach has the capacity for all the food I want to try (big breakfast, lunch, afternoon cake, 3 course dinner...)!
    hey- another place you might like to try which has been one of my favourite places in brighton for a while is Planet India. it is all veggie and about half vegan. they recently moved to a bigger premises, not far from town at all and I would say if you like Indian food (and i believe this is quite authentic south indian food) and you're on a budget, you should definitely try here. its run by a really nice family and there's a really relaxed vibe. it does get busy at the weekend though so you would be better off booking. its here:

http://www.multimap.com/s/6z5N2xo7

now you've got to find even more room in your belly!!

xx

That sounds good yo-yo - I love South Indian food. Woo, better take some elasticated trousers with me! Or I guess I should just go to Brighton more often

Had a really good weekend in Brighton. Went to Infinity Cafe for lunch on Saturday and both had a good lentil burger and homemade chips. Was so impressed by the range of vegan cakes that we went back for afternoon tea (I had a passion fruit, lime and coconut cake and Richard had carrot cake with apricot - both were very good).
    Then on Saturday night we went to Terre a Terre. We shared a starter of Arapas Mojo (corn fritters with various gorgeous sauces) which was one of the nicest things I've ever eaten! Then Richard had the Chana Chaat, which seemed very good but not that different from things we often have (only a lot more expensive). I had one of the rosti options as vegan which came with tofu instead of the egg (the other rosti vegan option was 'extra asparagus' instead of the goats cheese which I thought was a bit of a cop out). It was okay but I was quite disappointed: the rosti was swimming in a spinach sauce which made it quite soggy and the tofu was teriyaki flavoured which although nice, didn't go with the rest of the meal at all. I thought they could definately make more effort with the vegan options. The only other vegan choice was a Japanese dish which I wasn't in the mood for. We shared the Vodka Cherry Chocolate Churros for desert which were gorgeous and really nicely presented. Overall, I liked it in there a lot.
    Sunday we had the full vegan breakfast at Waikikamookau which was good (also impressed by the service). Then we had a late lunch at The George. I'd booked a table but it was pretty empty so our food arrived within 15 minutes. I had the nut roast and Richard had bangers and mash (yes, 5 sausages within about 5 hours for him!). There were no mistakes with the order as some have reported previously but food was scalding hot for about 10 minutes after it was served. There was nothing specificially wrong with it and I'd definately go there again as I think it's great that a veggie pub exists but the meals were certainly nothing special (we could have cooked a nicer roast at home with little effort). There was a good variety of veg on the plate but none of them tasted really good.
    We grabbed a piece of chocolate cake from Iydea for the journey home which was really yummy. So impressed by how much choice there is (proportionately speaking it's got to be far better than London). I was standing outside Iydea about to get cake and realised that Waikikamookau did vegan cake too as well as the omi cafe next to Iydea - 3 places to get cake within 10 paces? Heaven!

BlackCats

Sounds like you had a great time VeganMonkey. I think I shall be wanting another trip down to Brighton soon.

Yeah, it was really good thanks (and sunny too). I could quite happily live there but I imagine I'd spend a fortune eating out... and the rest buying lovely ingredients from Infinity!

Yeah I think Brighton is definitly better than London, purely because you don't need to travel much to get exactly what you're in the mood for (mostly cake for me!).
    I had the same main course as you at Terre a Terre and although I also thought it was a strange combination, it was all so delicious I soon forgot!!
    And the dessert... oh my the dessert...

there will be a meet-up of the Brighton vegan families group on Sunday 31st May, if anyone's interested please PM me for more details.

Food For Friends Voucher

until 31st May, buy one main course between 12-5pm Mon-Fri and get another half price with this voucher:

http://www.uploadlibrary.com/foodfor...s/mayfinal.pdf

excludes bank holidays though so i won't get a chance to use it!

Quote Troutina View Post
    And the dessert... oh my the dessert...
    Yep, it was pretty good!

Yep, it was pretty good!
    Literally no words can describe that dessert, it is beyond amazing!!!
    I sat with the biggest smile on my face during the whole thing, my boyfriend was envious haha.

Quote Troutina View Post
    Literally no words can describe that dessert, it is beyond amazing!!!
    I sat with the biggest smile on my face during the whole thing, my boyfriend was envious haha.
    You didn't share?!

You didn't share?!
    He had a couple of bites... IT WAS HIS FAULT FOR POOR ORDERING!!

Quote Troutina View Post
    He had a couple of bites... IT WAS HIS FAULT FOR POOR ORDERING!!
    Ah yeah, my boyfriend has a knack of ordering something he doesn't like as much as what I ordered too!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Food For Friends Voucher

until 31st May, buy one main course between 12-5pm Mon-Fri and get another half price with this voucher:

http://www.uploadlibrary.com/foodfor...s/mayfinal.pdf

excludes bank holidays though so i won't get a chance to use it!
    i've now got a week off between jobs so if anyone fancies meeting up for a free* lunch let me know!

*edit: whoops, misread the voucher. make that a half-price lunch. i'm not that generous

i went to Waikikamookau for the first time in a while yesterday, i was going to have the breakfast but i decided to have the Cajun sausage sandwich instead - i had to wait ages for it but it was really good.

I've had Sunday Lunch in the Earth & Stars a few times recently and it's really good. All their wines are vegan.

Heard mixed views from friends about The George from recent visits - some saying the food was nice with good service, others saying it was cold and service slow.

well i was just inundated with invitations to lunch at Food For Friends

luckily i had a non-forum friend to go with (non-vegan though). i had the butternut squash filo parcel which was really nice, although the salad it came with had fruit in it, which i hate i had the apple and pear crumble for dessert and a glass of champagne cider.

i really enjoyed it, although there are only 2 vegan mains to choose from, and they're doing a seasonal lunch menu offer of 2 mains for £11.95 - but NONE of that menu is vegan. they could definitely do better with vegan options, so i told them so on their comment card!

£11.95 and no vegan options? That's appalling.
    The Terre A Terre Plot To Plate set lunch is only two quid more £13.99 for 3 courses.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i went to Waikikamookau for the first time in a while yesterday, i was going to have the breakfast but i decided to have the Cajun sausage sandwich instead - i had to wait ages for it but it was really good.
    Hi there - went to Waikikamookau last month on a Saturday for breakfast - it was so bad I wanted to walk out but only because my poor husband was mortified enough I didn't.
    They did not have a vegan breakfast - only veggie so I asked could they do a vegan one - they said they would take off the eggs and veggie bacon and I asked what would replace it - but was told - hash browns and extra chips.... a bit crap but we were starving and had already been waiting over 20 minutes just to get served. It wasn't busy - they were just discussing their last nights shenanigans...
    Husband had burger and chips.
    When my breakfast came - it had no hash browns and around half the portion of chips that my husband had on his...
    When I asked where the extras were, the guy was a bit shirty and I must admit, I had a bee in my bonnet now (I hate bad service!) so I said- just leave it - i'll eat it.
    It was really poor - frozen chips which I think is really bad and the sausages were sausmix which worried me as it is no longer vegan.....

Aw man, that sucks. I also didn't like Waikikamookau. Nothing bad about the service, but the food wasn't very good and it was expensive. I got a burger and it was just soft mush shaped into a burger. Decided pretty quickly not to go there again.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

What a shame, nickysr - and you too matt35mm - to have had a rubbish meal at Waikikamukau when there are a load of other restaurants in spitting distance of them that do decent vegan food.

I have to say that when I first went to Wai... (years ago now) it was great, but it's gone downhill loads over the years. I suppose the only consolation is that with the economy the way it is right now, if they're no good, they won't survive.

Quote nickysr View Post
    Hi there - went to Waikikamookau last month on a Saturday for breakfast - it was so bad I wanted to walk out but only because my poor husband was mortified enough I didn't.
    They did not have a vegan breakfast - only veggie so I asked could they do a vegan one - they said they would take off the eggs and veggie bacon and I asked what would replace it - but was told - hash browns and extra chips.... a bit crap but we were starving and had already been waiting over 20 minutes just to get served. It wasn't busy - they were just discussing their last nights shenanigans...
    Husband had burger and chips.
    When my breakfast came - it had no hash browns and around half the portion of chips that my husband had on his...
    When I asked where the extras were, the guy was a bit shirty and I must admit, I had a bee in my bonnet now (I hate bad service!) so I said- just leave it - i'll eat it.
    It was really poor - frozen chips which I think is really bad and the sausages were sausmix which worried me as it is no longer vegan.....
    sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but i'm a little confused.

i'm pretty sure Waikikamookau have never had veggie bacon on their breakfast menu and have always had a full vegan option - which they still had on the menu i was given only a couple of weeks ago. the sausages i've had in there weren't Sosmix (although i think they're making it vegan again now anyway). i don't know what happened when you went but it certainly doesn't fit in with my experience of the place.

There's a picture of my recent Sunday lunch at The Earth & Stars here. They do a vegan vegetable pie with all the trimmings.

that looks really nice Marrers.

if anyone's interested i've heard that there's a new veggie restaurant in East Street, Brighton called Aloka. If you call in they have vouchers offering 2 for 1 on all main courses until 7th June 2009.

The website address is www.aloka.aura-soma.net

Cheers, G'rillz! Perfect timing! Will let you know how it is.

Interesting, thanks Gorilla. Shame the details on the website are so sketchy, doesn't even include opening times yet but I'll try to take a look next time I'm down.