Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Brighton (2)

Default Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

i was forwarded this via email:

Pet Fest '09....FUNDRAISER FOR SEA SHEPHERD and RAYSTEDE

Saturday June 20th 3pm
    the Hobgoblin, free
    VEGAN BBQ in the garden

Punk rock all dayer (bands playing are The Hotlines, Just Panic, The Fallthrough, Meatloaf At Mary's, Those Damn Owls, Sak-Less Jack)

Quote Gorilla View Post
    . . . new veggie restaurant in East Street, Brighton called Aloka. If you call in they have vouchers offering 2 for 1 . . .
    I popped in today to get the low down (and some home-made ice cream - the things I do for you people! ) but sadly they didn't offer me any vouchers (and I forgot to ask). 2 scoops costs £2.25 take away, £2.50 eat in. I had espresso and avocado with lime.

Downstairs is the food bar and cafe seating. There is restaurant seating upstairs in the evening which is a bit more formal (though I didn't see it).
    The food is sold by weight and you help yourself to what you want. Things containing dairy, gluten etc are marked but it's mostly vegan. I was told the head chef is vegan and his wife eats raw food. It's the same food in the evenings but costs more (sorry, I forgot to find out the prices).

Some desserts are vegan and they have home-made dairy-free and soy-free ice cream (made with cashews and coconut cream).

They have alcohol which I was told is all vegan and some gluten free beers.

They will be open til 11pm in the future but at the moment it is quiet and they are shutting at 9pm unless there are customers already in.

The food looked good, I can't wait to try it. Shame I just wasn't hungry at the time. BTW it's almost opposite Terre A Terre.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

thanks Marrers.

Thumbs up Re: Vegan Brighton (2)

Quote Gorilla View Post
    that looks really nice Marrers.

if anyone's interested i've heard that there's a new veggie restaurant in East Street, Brighton called Aloka. If you call in they have vouchers offering 2 for 1 on all main courses until 7th June 2009.

The website address is www.aloka.aura-soma.net
    cool. I heard about this place a little while ago but didn't know they had opened. i will definitely be checking it out! mostly vegan sounds great, lately one of my fave places, iydea, doesn't seem to have as many vegan dishes as they used to xx

I went to Idyea for the first time yesterday, and was really impressed! I had the roti with salad- yum and filling! Will definetly be going back for another visit, especially as I was so full I couldn't try any of the amazing looking cakes!!

BlackCats

Quote Marrers View Post
    I popped in today to get the low down (and some home-made ice cream - the things I do for you people! ) but sadly they didn't offer me any vouchers (and I forgot to ask). 2 scoops costs £2.25 take away, £2.50 eat in. I had espresso and avocado with lime.
    I did find Aloka yesterday but I was too full from RedVeg (I had a hot dog, fries and half my husband's burger as he didn't like it, I told him to order the hot dog but apparently he knew better.) I got a piece of chocolate and orange cake from Infinity. My husband had the bakewell tart and he really liked it but I wasn't sure if it was vegan so I didn't try it. We went to The George for dinner.

I found Food For Friends, Iydea, Waikk...(sp) and Terre A Terre too. I need another trip back there I think.

RedVeg? I can never understand why people who can go to RedVeg in London choose to go there in Brighton when there are so many other places to try! (I know you were with a fussy eater BC but a lot of people seem to do it.)

I heard from my friend that The George has a(nother) new manager and will be introducing a new menu and cakes in the next few weeks.

eta For anyone who likes a bargain Iydea sell off leftovers for £2.50 around 5pm. They put one main portion in a box along with veg or salad items - be careful though as they sometimes put non-vegan salad items in with the vegan stuff.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

BlackCats

^ I really didn't try anything much yesterday. I had never been to RedVeg with my husband and he loves hot dogs so that's why I took him there. He ordered the RedVeg burger without any salad or mustard or mayo or cheese. The guy who worked there said to him "you just want the burger in a bun with ketchup?" My husband is like a fussy child! I think next time we will just go and get cake and ice cream as at least I know he likes sweet things.

The George had a new wine menu I saw.

I saw that Aloka does raw cheese and crackers when I went past. I seriously might go back to Brighton soon.

I am so looking forward to visiting Brighton in August for the first time

Im sure Il manage to work my way round many of these wonderful places to eat

Il have to start a thread in the meet up section nearer the time see if anyones about when Im there in case anyone fanices going for a meal

hope to catch up with you in August AlisonT.

in case anyone hasn't read the Heather Mills thread, i've heard that V-Bites is having a launch party next Saturday 4th July and it will be open from 12.00 until 10.00pm.

Be nice to meet up Gorilla thinking of sorting something Weds 12th - I want to try Heather Mills place and so many others there - Il have to go through the thread make a list of the best vegan places to try

There is a new shop near Brighton station selling quite a few vegan bits, organic stuff, vegetables, wholefoods and cleaning products (they even have Organica Vegan Nougat choc bar).

They are very freindly and keen to get suggestions of what people would like them to stock. They are still building up their stock so will be getting more things in. Take a look if you are up that way!

It's called Grocer and Grain (used to be Video Box - they still have a dvd rental section)
    1 Surrey Street, BN2 3FH
    01273 823 455
    7am-9pm Sun-Thur
    7am-9.30pm Fri-Sat

Also at the larger Taj (on Western Road, going towards Hove) I saw some Aunty Jee's frozen curries which are marked vegan. http://www.auntyjee.co.uk/
    They had Aubergine Curry, Cauliflower Curry, 7 Star Lentil Curry and Soya Korma, all £3.49 each. I haven't tried any yet though.

I popped into Aloka hoping to get some savoury food but they don't have the buffet 4-5.30pm as they cook new food and change over what is available during that time. They could have done me a snack (they suggested cashew cheese and crackers) but I didn't have time to wait for anything to be prepared.
    I got a wonderfully tasty vanilla and chai cupcake and a chocolate walnut tart to take away though.

thanks Marrers. i keep forgetting about Aloka, i'll have to pop in some time.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I forgot to mention about Aloka that between 3pm and 4pm you can get a half price take away or two for one on eating in.

I really want to try some 'cheese' from a cafe/ restaurant, like Saf does- it sounds so interesting!

Aloka looks so swanky! Perhaps a wee bit too swanky for me.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Okay, wow, this is a long shot but does anyone know of any vegan-y full-time job vacancies out there? I.e. health food shops/vegan restaurants or cafes...(I tried Infinity because well that would be The Dream but nothing is going )

I'm moving to Brighton soon and argh, I can't find anything!
    vegan and proud.

have you tried V-Bites? i don't know if they've got a full complement of staff yet.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I was going to say try vbites as Its so new.

Shame your not in Birmingham as the Warehouse cafe there are advertising for staff,

Brighton is holding a Cruelty-Free Fair on Saturday 22nd August

10-4 pm (set up from 9 am ) at St Andrew's Church Hall, Church St, Hove.

Tables are available for £20 (with a reduced rate for groups providing
    information only that are struggling financially:

It will be an opportunity for groups to spread the word, recruit more
    supporters and raise funds. The only stipulation is that all items for
    sale and prizes must be vegan.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

I had lunch and dinner at Aloka last week and the food is very nice. A good mixture of healthy and slightly less healthy (like puff pastry wrapped bakes, pakoras etc) options and I'd say about 75%+ was vegan. It costs £1.50 for take away per 100g (half price 3-4pm), and I think it's £1.60 per 100g for eat in lunch and £1.70 per 100g for evening meal. A good sized plate was about £8 in the evening. They also serve wine and beer.
    The upstairs was closed when we were there that evening because there was only one member of staff on duty (I'm guessing they might not be busy enough to justify more staff at the moment) so I still haven't had a look at that.

The cakes are really nice too and whenever I've been in there has always been at least 2 vegan options.

This might become my new favourite lunch spot with Iydea slipping into second place!

that sounds good Marrers, thanks.

thanks for the info about the fayre Frank, i don't know exactly where that is but i'll try to go along.

RedVeg now have vegan cake they're selling them in plastic boxes which is a bit annoying, hopefully they'll change to cardboard or something if they keep doing them. the flavours they had when i was in there were date and chocolate with mint choc icing, and carrot and cinnamon with lemon icing. i bought a piece of each to sample them the chocolate one was nice although a little dry; the carrot cake was really lovely and light, by far the better of the two, and i'm not normally a big fan of carrot cake.

Zero and i went to Lewes on Saturday and the Snowdrop pub doesn't seem to be veggie any more, the menu looked pretty lacking in anything remotely vegan so we ate lunch at Seasons. i still love the decor and the service in there, but they didn't have much in the way of summery meals for vegans. i had a vegetable korma which was lovely but i was boiling afterwards, so had to cool off with a few scoops of Swedish Glace

More places for me to try next month

Think my vegan Brighton guide is a bit out of date now so will re read this thread for places to try!

My healthy eating plan is on hold until after Brighton now

I had the Red Veg chocolate cake today, it was only one layer with icing on top but cost only £1.35 I think. Very moist and tasty!

Yesterday I had a late lunch at Aloka which is great value 3-4pm as it's half price on take aways (or two for one on eating in). A large box of food was about a fiver.

Well have to say I loved Brighton

Was there for 4 days last week and ate out a lot!

Loved Infinity foods cafe and the shop (what a great place!) also ate out in the evenings at Bombay Aloo (as everywhere else was fully booked) Food for Friends and Terre a Terre (frugal menu - good food but was hungry after lol!)

Met a friend for lunch at Vbites - great to see it packed out, nice cakes there.

Loved all the lanes and the shopping and the whole vibe of Brighton was good - sunny weather too

Am sure Il be back sometime next year for a visit.

Sounds as if you made the most of Brighton's amentities, alisont! I'm hoping to meet someone at Vbites for lunch one day soon - is it likely to be difficult to get a table do you think? (Friend has bad back so can't really queue.)

Was what you had at Terre a Terre officially a "frugal menu" or do you mean that you ordered frugally? I can't remember having anything in there that I would describe as frugal, certainly not price-wise !

Terre A Terre has a 'Frugal Foodie' menu which is also available on weekday evenings. It's £12.50 for 3 courses and the options change from time to time. I've had it a few times recently and it was very nice, I wasn't hungry afterwards but it's certainly smaller portions than the normal menu. (Not sure when this promotion expires but I imagine they will replace it with something similar.)

Thanks Marrers - that sounds quite a good offer. I'm not usually too hungry at lunchtime so I should try and get down there. (Might not do me for the evening though )

I've usually had it as an early dinner.
    Available Tuesday - Thursday lunch & dinner, Friday lunch & Sunday lunch & dinner
    Available until August 28th 2009 . Terms & Conditions apply.

I found Red Veg closed at 6pm on Tuesday this week. Chatting to my friend this evening he said they closed before 6pm on Monday too. Two friends commented that they thought standards were slipping at the Brighton branch compared to the London branch.

Because Red Veg was closed my friend went to The George and was disappointed with his burger (which cost almost £8). They are using Beanies burgers.

I had some savoury bits (incl seitan pie) and a lovely banana cupcake from Aloka.

Yeah business has been bad for Red Veg for a while now. They've been closing early on certain days. Twice I've been there around 7pm to find it shut!
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Trouble is if the opening hours are erratic (and I noticed they are not on display) business will continue to fall as people won't bother to go just in case it isn't open. I'd say 5-7pm would be the time they'd pick up trade once everything else along there is closed. They used to be open til 9pm.

i've found Red Veg closed in the early evenings when i've wanted to go there recently too, it's annoying. i hope they manage to survive.

i was disappointed to see last time i was in the George that from the look of the wine list, they have mostly non-vegetarian wines now and only a couple that are veggie and vegan. perhaps it was a mistake on the labelling of the list, i didn't ask because they were pretty stretched, and they'd run out of a lot of food. i did have a nice blackberry cheezecake though.

When I asked about the wine in The George I was told the new manager had ordered non veggie wine by mistake but that this would be rectified on the next order. (I was told they had some of the old stock vegan wine in the cellar and to ask for that.)
    I did post about it somewhere on here . . . not sure where though.

thanks Marrers, i must have missed your post about it.

Me and my GF are going to be spending time in Brighton between the 5th and the 8th of November. We are staying here: http://www.paskins.co.uk/ unless anyone can recommend anywhere better before I book it on Friday.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

the rooms aren't brilliant at Paskins and not all of them are en-suite. their vegan breakfasts are great though and i don't know of any other hotels that do vegan breakfasts, so it depends which is more important to you.

helen105281

The Granville do vegan breakfasts too. Our room wasn't great as was one of the cheaper ones but it was still nice and in a good location.

I really liked the room I had a Paskins when I went. If the breakfast is the main reason for staying there you could stay somewhere cheaper instead and eat in one of several places which do a vegan breakfast in Brighton.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I really liked the room I had a Paskins when I went. If the breakfast is the main reason for staying there you could stay somewhere cheaper instead and eat in one of several places which do a vegan breakfast in Brighton.
    Please recommend because I've sat there for hours pulling the Brighton B&B's scene apart and Paskins is the best I could come up with.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

i would recommend staying in a Travelodge/Premier Inn/Ramada or something and going out for breakfast at a place like Waikikamookau. i don't know what prices you're looking at from Paskins but room only places are usually quite cheap.

^ What Gorilla said! You might have a slightly longer walk to town/ the sea but the saving is probably worth it.

I just wanted to make sure people knew there are some recent comments and reviews about VBites (Hove Lagoon) on another thread - here.

To be honest, VBites sounds a tadge gimmicky in my opinion.

If I want to eat Redwoods stuff, I'd buy it in packets at my local (overpriced compared with Mays in Lewes) health food shop in Seaford and enjoy it at home.

We'll stick to the Earth and Stars in Brighton, when we eat out next time

As far as staying some place in Brighton, it depends on your budget. As a one-off treat, the Granville Hotel was great, though it could have just done with a bit of re-decorating. The tub was nice, the waterbed was even better.

However, our weekend there (at the end of last year) was spoiled by our taxi for Terre a Terre arriving an hour early (meaning I had to jump out of the tub quickly, spoiling the mood somewhat), the lack of decent carparking that cost us £25 for less than 18 hours and the lack of decent vids on offer.

The breakfast was good, just don't park in the big multi-story car park!
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

I've looked at some of the room only places in Brighton, but because you have to pay for parking (like £15 a day) it kinda outweighs the benefits. I haven't booked it yet because I'm still debating where to saty. Me and the laydee are on a very strict budget...it's only because I've been working 80 hour weeks and really breaking my back that we can even afford it at all.

It's a shame we haven't got anywhere spare at the moment!
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

Quote matt35mm View Post
    Yeah business has been bad for Red Veg for a while now. They've been closing early on certain days. Twice I've been there around 7pm to find it shut!
    I went into Red Veg the other day and spoke to the new manager about opening times (while buying some delicious vegan cake for only £1.35 a slice ).

They are currently open Monday & Tuesday 11.30am-5pm
    Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday 11.30am-9pm
    Sunday 12noon-5pm

If they are busy they may stay opened beyond 5pm on some days so it may be worth checking.

(I was also told that Red Veg in London will be closing soon, the premises has been compulsorily purchased and they are not sure whether they will be able to afford to relocate. )

Red Veg was certainly busy when i went in there on Saturday (they didn't have any cake though ). That's a shame about the London one, i hope they can find a new shop.

littlemiss

Just went to Brighton for a couple of days on a budget so am posting my reviews in case they are helpful to others.
    Stayed at the Travelodge, not on seafront. You have to pay for parking, £5 for 24 hours but its cheap compared to other places so we parked up early and lefdt the car after checking out. I recommend you do park early if staying fri/sat as the car park isn't big. Its not far from city centre to walk in. For some reason the room was really big (I've stayed in loads of travelodges and the rooms are always identical)more storage space, duvets and mugs than normal. We are on 8th floor so nice view too.
    Dinner at Bombay aloo, nice and cheap. I've been before and they were helpful pointing out the vegan food but this time the waiter said, "yes, all vegetables". I got the feeling he didnt speak much english and/or didn't get vegan but I used my judgement from last time and food was good for the price.
    Breakfast next day at Ideya, also ate lunch here. Seems to have changed since last visit 2 years ago. Breakfast seemed better. We got in late and I expected nothing left but got a good selection, didn't get to try scrambeld tofu but the hash browns were nice. Lunch was a little dull but healthy and I didn't fancy what the other places were offering.
    Dinner at the George. I'd heard bad reviews about this place. It was ok, food didn't take long and the order was correct but the menu is very boring now. It says all meals made to order which gave me the impression freshly cooked. My husband wanted vegetables on skewers but it came with halloumi so I asked if he could have it without but they said it came prepackaged. Hubby has recently been calling himself almost vegan (apart from all the chocolate) so this didn't bother him so they just took the cheese off. I had bangers and mash as nothing really appealed. Shared a mushroom side dish which was nice with vegan cheese on top. Its mainly burgers (beanies) and they dont do the elvis burger anymore. The portions were not as big as before either. The dessert menu was rubbish, usual vegan icecream or bannana split. There was a vegan cake on the specials boards but didn't say what the cake was and we didn't want dessert.
    Also popped into infinity foods shop. That place is amazing! Bought a raw choc mouse which was expensive but nice. Bought a few bits I could only get online normally. Went to Monezumas to stock up on yummy choc.
    It doesn't sound very positive but we did have a lovely couple of days, Brighton is great for vegans and such a nice place anyway.

Had cheap menu at Terre A Terre last night (£15 for 2 course, £21 for 3 courses).

I called at VBites for some take-out cake this evening around 9pm and it was closed. It's meant to be open til 10.30pm according to the website.

The good news is that VBites are now included in the dinner2go home delivery service! We just need to clarify the opening hours so I have emailed them to ask.