Thread: Raw food personal "diary" threads/subforum

Default Raw food personal "diary" threads/subforum

Right now I'm attempting to go raw, and it is proving to be a challenge

One thing I've seen on other sites (not necessarily related to raw food) is that members can start their own thread to chart their progress in a particular area. I would find it very useful if I could have my own thread, a kind of a blog if you like, not merely "what did you eat today", but a thread where I can put what I eat, maybe share recipes and share the difficulties of my raw journey.

I'm asking this because I know board rules forbid starting threads about a particular member, but I think this is slightly different, and could be very helpful to me and to other raw foodists. Other people could reply to my thread if they wanted.

Interested to hear what others think.

Default Re: Raw food personal "diary" threads/subforum

Hi fiamma,

we have no rules prohibiting anyone from doing something like that... There's actually a separate Blog-function that can be installed as an add-on to the forum software, but using a normal thread (or possibly a so called Social Group) might just as useful (at least for now)...
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 19th, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Good luck, Fiamma! What are you finding challenging right now? I found eating raw at dinner/supper time the hardest.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I think it's a case of adjusting my taste buds from cooked to raw. I looooooove green smoothies, but find they taste a bit samey (all the same, dunno if that was clear ), and sometimes all I want to do in the mornings is grab a bit of bread and slap on some jam...

I do find the food harder on the digestion too, and because I cook for my bf too I'm having to do two meals, at a time when TBH I'm struggling a bit with food with my ED and all...

And the issue of the food being cold, or only lukewarm, I find that's a big psychological obstacle. Maybe things will get easier when summer arrives.
    I think though it mainly has to do with the fact that the food is so different from cooked food, and takes a lot of planning.

Ho hum.

The prep was always an issue for me. I HATE spending time making food.

The digestion thing... I guess some people get used to it, but I think my body was eliminating everything too quickly. I couldn't maintain it because I felt so sick and weak. I started have sore muscles, weakeness, and heart palpitations.

Quote fiamma View Post
    I do find the food harder on the digestion too, and because I cook for my bf too I'm having to do two meals, at a time when TBH I'm struggling a bit with food with my ED and all...
    I do understand that eating raw would be diffucult when you're cooking food for someone else! And especially when you're recovering from an ED and trying to (or supposed to...lol) eat a lot to gain/maintain. It can be hard to get enough calories from raw foods. Are you satisfying ED by denying yourself certain foods and eating raw, low-cal foods? Or is eating raw just for your health? I know it's a really personal thing, but it's just something for you to think about.

I do hope you keep us updated!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

cobweb

just an observation, please don't be offended - i have noticed how common it is for vegans with some kind of eating disorder to try and go raw (i've done it myself but didn't last too long). For me it was a way of trying to conquer my food demons i think. I hardly ever prepared food though, i just literally ate raw food as it came.

hey, its great to hear your trying to go raw. Im still trying..after a few months lol. I have my own blog on a blog site which i ramble on, ive also made a food diary to log the food and calories, as i find it hard to eat enough cals raw.
    maybe a diary will help you , so you will know if your not getting enough cals?
    'he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Monmouthshire

Green smoothies, don't forget to add beetroot. The colour is so lush.

Life raw is easy if you don't think too much!

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it a lot. And Cobweb and Ella - no offence taken, don't worry I'm actually touched that you guys are so concerned about me

To be clear about my ED... eating to gain/maintain is not a concern for me right now. If anything, my BMI is well within the healthy range. I will admit that the weight loss aspect is a draw for me, but only because I'd like to lose a few kilos ( and I do mean a few). And I think I'm in a position where I can look at my weight loss objectively, and know what healthy weight loss is. I can feel I'm carrying a few extra, but it's just a case of shedding those.

My first batch of flaxseed crackers are dehydrating in the dehydrator as we speak (yay!!!), but I doubt I'll ever go 100% raw; probably two raw and one cooked meal a day. But we'll see.

siwales: thanks for the tip on the beetroot. I looooove beetroot!!! Only problem is, I can't seem to get it raw at the supermarket I go to.

Cherry Chops: The calorie aspect is a valid one, but it's not really my concern at the moment, and I really don't want to trigger those with experiences of EDs, including myself!!! I'd rather focus on the psychological aspects of it, chart my difficulties and what I'm eating, and share recipes. I'm still mulling the diary thing over. Good thoughts and good tips though, so thank you very much.

Ok, 'nuff about me. Over and out

Monmouthshire

Well here in the UK, I have to get the beetroot from a market. Not seen any inthe supermarkets either.

I got about 2kg for just over a €1. The beetroot makes some green smoothies so much tastier too.