Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 2

Default Re: Vegan London, part 2

No worries, thanks for snapping it. Enjoy!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Buddha Belly

Quote gutts View Post
    Cheers for this. Any booze over there?

gutts
    Nope no booze, or toilets that I could see. The food was very filling and was in the style of 'hippy vegan', lentils, chickpeas etc. The side salad was a carrot, beetroot and sprout one with a nice brown dollop of dressing/ dip on top. The staff were very good and pleasant to chat too. Not syure if they are having a menu rotation or what. The drinks on offer were bloody lovely and the smoothie I had was just as filling as the food. Got me 5 a day in one sitting and am not hungry at all now. Overall it was ok and made a change from Red Veg (RIP), definately better than Thai Buffet (Eat it and RIP), but, I don't know why, it did not have wow factor. It has only just opened and will get better though. 7/10

Thanks for the review BB, sounds like one to visit.

Would anyone be up for a Red Veg followed by drinks tomorrow or Sunday? The last I heard it will be closed until the new year at least when they'll reopen at a new location.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Buddha Belly

Sorry, St Albans tomorrow then Cambridge Sunday.

hi, does it have a web site?
    cant see it via google and sorry i cant make this weekend work tomorow norwich and cambridge sunday as well. oh well it pays the mortgage.

Buddha Belly

Not yet I don't think, only opened this week

vegan routes does indeed http://www.veganroutes.org/
    loos are probably NCP ones like rootmaster's are a pub next door

Sorry beanstew, too poor
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Thanks for the review and pics. Presume there was seating inside - what was it like? And do they have china plates, cups and real cutlery?

The public toilets on Broadwick Street are not that far away (at the bottom of Lexington Street) but a bit far to pop to during a meal.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Anyone know if there is anywhere to eat in Mew Malden, near Kingston?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Anyone know if there is anywhere to eat in Mew Malden, near Kingston?
    Papa Johns...!
    Can you get to Kingston?

Thanks.

If I can get to Kingston I'll go to the Riverside Vegetaria of course - that's my preferred option but it depends on timings and where my lunch date is coming from (home or work).

Does anyone know the Bonnington Cafe near Vauxhall? It's supposed to be vegan/veggie...?
    Born to Lose - Live to Win!

creature reviews the Bonnington Café here, website here.

(Read up about each cook to see what type of food they make and whether they are vegan or veggie themselves. The links to details on the cooks aren't working on the 'diary' page but are on the 'cooks' page.)
    Last edited by Marrers; Dec 5th, 2009 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Gwydion View Post
    Looks like the menu doesn't change as this is what was on offer when I was at Vegan Routes today.
    I had one of the two soups - butterbean, rosemary and chives I think. (The other was sweet potato and coconut milk.) It was pretty bland and boring. £2.80 take out, £3.60 eat in - still in a paper cup though.

NEW SOHO VEGAN RESTAURANT

NEW Tata, Charing Cross Road Chinese vegan buffet restaurant, but this one takes the franchise to a whole new level with scrumptious desserts, beer, coffee and a shop.

At 3-5 Caxton Walk, on the east side of Charing Cross Road a few minutes walk from Tottenham Court Road station, next to Blackwells bookshop and Salsa. Tel 07884 445544. Open: Mon-Sun.

Also open from 8am for coffee. Lunch £5.50, Sun and evening £6.50, plus 10 per cent service charge (for a buffet, but still amazing value). Take-away £3.50. Also vegan desserts for only £1 such as cherry and apple pie, carrot cake with vegan cream cheese frosting, banana and raisin or blueberry muffins, yum yum yummy. Juices £1.50, freshly squeezed juice £2.50, beer £2.50. Speciality coffees, soya cappuccino. Vegan shop next door selling frozen fake meat and fake fish from Taiwan.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Eat & Two Veg in Marylebone has closed.

Quote Frank View Post

NEW Tata, Charing Cross Road Chinese vegan buffet restaurant, but this one takes the franchise to a whole new level with scrumptious desserts, beer, coffee and a shop.
    I went there the other day and mentioned it briefly here. I have since been again with an omni friend who was also quite impressed. I had some nice soup for starters followed by a mix of Chinese, Indian and Thai food and some fruit salad which was mostly apple.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Sounds good, Frank.

Apparently there's also a new vegan place in Camden too (on Plender Street) run by the people who run Peking Palace. But I haven't been there yet...

Frank, I never thought I could feel so jealous................
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote Marrers View Post
    I had one of the two soups - butterbean, rosemary and chives I think. (The other was sweet potato and coconut milk.) It was pretty bland and boring. £2.80 take out, £3.60 eat in - still in a paper cup though.
    Review of Vegan Routes in Time Out:-
    A vegan restaurant in a reclaimed Routemaster bus? That might ring a bell, yet Vegan Routes is unconnected to the original Rootmaster vegan restaurant in a reclaimed Routemaster bus, which is still parked near Brick Lane.

Vegan Routes makes no bones about its convictions, but, wholesome intentions aside, can the food stand on its own merits?

The ingredients are organic and the menu is limited to two soups and three main courses, each of which arrives accompanied by the same salad of mixed leaves and sweet, grated beetroot.

Mushroom and potato soup was more like a broth and needed enlivening with numerous shakes of the herbal salt shaker. Puy lentil shepherd’s pie also
    suffered from underseasoning, but was nevertheless a hearty dish fit for the cold season. Leeks sautéed with coconut were delicately flavoursome, although the farinata (a chickpea flour pancake) they were served on was dense and, worse, cold.

The venue’s an alcohol-free zone – instead there are health-bolstering smoothies whizzed up with nuts for creaminess, and mineral water (there’s no tap water and no toilets).

It’s got some way to go before attaining the standards of neighbouring competitors such as Beatroot or Maoz, but VR’s novelty factor and decent food is bound to attract passing trade.

Time Out London Issue 2052 & 2053: December 17-30 2009
    http://www.timeout.com/london/restau...ews/22408.html

Quote Frank View Post

At 3-5 Caxton Walk, on the east side of Charing Cross Road a few minutes walk from Tottenham Court Road station, next to Blackwells bookshop and Salsa. Tel 07884 445544. Open: Mon-Sun.

Also open from 8am for coffee. Lunch £5.50, Sun and evening £6.50, plus 10 per cent service charge (for a buffet, but still amazing value). Take-away £3.50. Also vegan desserts for only £1 such as cherry and apple pie, carrot cake with vegan cream cheese frosting, banana and raisin or blueberry muffins, yum yum yummy. Juices £1.50, freshly squeezed juice £2.50, beer £2.50. Speciality coffees, soya cappuccino. Vegan shop next door selling frozen fake meat and fake fish from Taiwan.

oooh going to have to make thee effort to going into London now.

Finally went to Tibits yesterday- it's amazing!! Such lovely food- I loved the beer battered onion rings, and got a plate pretty much piled high for 8 pounds.
    Also tried the apple turnover, and love that it's apple shaped!
    The sandwiches look pretty delicious, really want to try them soon.

I think this will be dangerous as I work opposite Heddon Street!

Glad you liked Tibits, Troutina - I would imagine it's a good place for a takeaway lunch as well as dinner, only I'm never there at lunchtime.

Was it busy in there (she asked anxiously)?

Quote harpy View Post
    Glad you liked Tibits, Troutina - I would imagine it's a good place for a takeaway lunch as well as dinner, only I'm never there at lunchtime.

Was it busy in there (she asked anxiously)?
    I think I will be 'accidentally' leaving my lunch at home a few times from now on!

It was fairly busy but it was the run up to Christmas. Most of the tables were taken but it didn't feel crowded; you could move around the boat buffet easily!

Buddha Belly

I went to the veggie place on Caxton street today. It is brilliant. Lots of various foods to choose from and great service. I was not sure what to have and only had about a quarter of what they offer, so I will have to go back at least another 5 times before I may get bored of it (which I won't). I chatted to the owner when I was paying (£7, food and Cha tea). He usually makes a selection of cakes but he has not as yet as he got a tad pissed at xmas and could not get to it, don't blame him really. They are in the process of fitting out a shop next door to the restaurant (??) that will sell all the ingredients that make up the food next door. Hopefully this should be a good source of ready made seiten.
    I would definately recommmend going here, worth the money. Only drawback is the toilet. But it seems that they are still doing the place up so it will get better.

Watch out. The satay sauce is very hot.
    Last edited by Buddha Belly; Dec 29th, 2009 at 06:29 PM.

helen105281

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    I went to the veggie place on Caxton street today. It is brilliant. Lots of various foods to choose from and great service. I was not sure what to have and only had about a quarter of what they offer, so I will have to go back at least another 5 times before I may get bored of it (which I won't). I chatted to the owner when I was paying (£7, food and Cha tea). He usually makes a selection of cakes but he has not as yet as he got a tad pissed at xmas and could not get to it, don't blame him really. They are in the process of fitting out a shop next door to the restaurant (??) that will sell all the ingredients that make up the food next door. Hopefully this should be a good source of ready made seiten.
    I would definately recommmend going here, worth the money. Only drawback is the toilet. But it seems that they are still doing the place up so it will get better.

Watch out. The satay sauce is very hot.
    You will have to take me next time

And me!

Buddha Belly

Went to the place on Caxton street with Helen and Susnne and two others tonight.
    It was not as good as it was a sunday night and the food lukewarm, but still enjoyed it. Might be worth visiting as a meet up dinner spot at some point soon.
    End of Feb?
    If there is much response I will start a new thread.

Buddha Belly

True dat

do you mean caxton walk?
    I've had a look in there recently and the food was hot and different from the usual but wasn't fantastic (for take out buffet stuff) sady
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote helen105281 View Post
    What day is your birthday Alison? mine is the 25th, would you feel like doing a joint thing?
    Oh wow! snap mines the 25th

Yes Id be up for a joint do meal and drinks somewhere but am only in London Fri 19th for half term so dont know if that would suit you?

helen105281

Wow same day. Yay am all excited now. I will book the day off once our holiday booking thing is up and running in a couple of days. Shall we start a thread?

Ahhh, I've missed the support from all my friends round here.

He he, I didn't desert you! I merely had an extended vacation. Anyhoo, truth is I've just been enjoying my 'offline' life so much I've barely been on here.
    I may well have to trundle along to a meet there, I won't be able to do this one as I'm saving all my pennies for my brother's surprise birthday party but hope that I'll be able to come in Feb?

EDIT - thanks Beanstew
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    truth is I've just been enjoying my 'offline' life so much I've barely been on here.
    Show off!!

It's lovely to come back to such a warm welcome!
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

helen105281

Hello, I don't mind, may be easier if you do as I am a bit rubbish at remembering how to do it. Peking Palace is a good idea as neither BB or I have ever been. I love 222 but it is a bit far out, and Routemaster does seem expensive. Tata is nice but BB said was better at lunchtimes than the evening.

As for burgers, the Mildreds one changes each day but was nice when I had it and BB had one last time we went I think which he loved.

helen105281

That sounds great. Am I right in thinking that Peking Palace don't use MSG?

Yes totally msg free food Im not good with msg makes me really feel ill - tired and itchy! Am fine with PP food!

helen105281

Oh good MSG hurts my stomach so will be lovely to have chinese without it. It's funny all the different effects it has on people.

1. NEW Veg, Highbury and Islington Chinese vegan buffet restaurant, at 177 Upper Street N1, opposite Islington Town Hall. Tel 07837 381 898. Open: Mon-Sun 12.00-22.00.

Lunch 5.50, Sun and evening 6.50, plus 10 per cent service charge (for a buffet, but still amazing value). Take-away 3.50. Buffet includes dessert of sago with coconut or pineapple. Tea and soft drinks 1.50. Glass of Chinese wine or bottle of beer 2.50. In fact this place opened in 2009, and its like all the others but in a quieter location on the way from Angel to Highbury & Islington. And they have alcohol.

2. The new Japanese vegan Macrobiotic Caf in Primrose Hill is closing 15th January, but Itadaki Zen vegan restaurant at Kings Cross is still going.

Closures:
    Red Veg has closed to make way for the new Crossrail station. Try Maoz instead.
    Eat & Two Veg in Marylebone has closed.
    Simply Vegan is closed and looking for new premises.
    Last edited by Frank; Jan 21st, 2010 at 01:03 AM.

My next port of call is Sagar... though it's so close to Govinda's that I will probably end up going there instead.

Sagar's food is approximately 10x better than govindas.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I will have to try both and compare, but Govinda's is very special to me

Is Govinda's good for vegans these days, then, Radharani? I haven't been for ages.

Like Mr Flibble I'm a fan of Sagar - I have been going to the one in Catherine St in Covent Garden a few times lately. I really like the fact that they have a vegan menu there, saves a lot of messing around.

A lot of Govinda's food is lacto-vegetarian, but they can definitely accommodate vegans too.

I didn't know there were multiple Sagars, the one I keep hearing about is in Percy Street I think.

I must give Govinda's another go then.

I think there are about four Sagars - the original one was in Hammersmith which is a bit nearer to me than the others, but the two in town are handy if you're meeting people or going to a play, film etc. The food seems pretty consistent from one branch to another and in fact I think the staff move around between them. This is their website: http://www.gosagar.com/

Saf January Sale
    15% OFF

This month we will be offering 15% off your final bill for lunch and dinner on presentation of the New Year Special voucher, which you can collect from our reception desk. The voucher also includes a loyalty reward for buying our takeaway wraps or salads.

Offer applies from the 02.01.10-15.02.10. For more information or to make a booking, please contact our reception team on 0207 613 0007 email us at reservations@safrestaurant.co.uk

Thanks Marrers. Wish I lived near enough to Saf to get a takeaway from there Are they still meant to be opening a branch in the west end does anyone know?

Saf January Sale
    15% OFF

This month we will be offering 15% off your final bill for lunch and dinner on presentation of the New Year Special voucher, which you can collect from our reception desk. The voucher also includes a loyalty reward for buying our takeaway wraps or salads.

Offer applies from the 02.01.10-15.02.10. For more information or to make a booking, please contact our reception team on 0207 613 0007 email us at reservations@safrestaurant.co.uk
    They're just around the corner from me, definitely going to use this. Thanks for the tip!

Quote gutts View Post
    They're just around the corner from me, definitely going to use this. Thanks for the tip!
    Oh my gosh, how do you resist eating there all the time? I'd go broke if I lived around the corner from Saf...