Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 2

Default Re: Vegan London, part 2

We did try Scoff for a late-night meal and it seemed fine - there was no problem about getting them to veganise the food. I particularly liked the Tuscan bean soup which was a meal in itself really (though I did manage to force down a superfood salad and some flatbread as well ). There was a fair amount of packaging as is inevitable with takeaways but it was almost all paper. Would use them again in similar circs.

Quote Troutina View Post
    I went to the Peking Palace last night . . . The service was incredibly s-l-o-w though . . . So just a word of warning, don't go if you're in a rush.
    In contrast I've been in there and told them I was on a tight time frame and they fed me very quickly. (Was with a group of about 6 other VFers and although they were in no rush their food came pretty quickly too.)

I've eaten in there quite often and think usually I haven't had to wait very long.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    In contrast I've been in there and told them I was on a tight time frame and they fed me very quickly. (Was with a group of about 6 other VFers and although they were in no rush their food came pretty quickly too.)

I've eaten in there quite often and think usually I haven't had to wait very long.
    Oh ok, well that's good to know! Maybe they were just having an off night, but it didn't seem as though there were any special circumstances (ie short staffed) and he seemed to think it was busy that evening. But surely thats a good thing! A lot of other customers were complaining- especially the takeaway customers. Was also amused at the vegan tv streaming on a large flat screen

RebeccaDye

I've just had lunch at The Ma'at Centre in Catford. It's just opposite the big cat statue on the high street. The food was delicious, and reminded me of the kind of Afro-Carribean dishes they serve at Spirited Palace in Crystal Palace. I had lentil soup with root veg and sprouts followed by:

Clockwise from L-R: Cabbage, salad, wild rice, plantain, cassava, bean stew, and soya chunk curry. This was £6 plus £2.50 for a fresh apple, carrot and ginger juice. It's a lovely, airy place with very reasonable prices, service friendly and I'm ecstatic to have a vegan restaurant so close to where I live!

P.S. Excuse the rubbish quality photo!
    Last edited by RebeccaDye; May 21st, 2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Tried to make photo smaller but failed! Sorry!

Stu

That looks damn good.

BlackCats

That looks delicious Rebecca. I might have to get my brother to bring me a takeaway box from there next time I meet him. (If you can get it to take away!)

RebeccaDye

Damn straight!
    And yeah Blackcats, I can verify they do takeaways too!

I've got a room to let in East London (RM12 5AA, next to Elm Park tube)
    It takes as little as 22mins to get into the City (normally though about 30mins) is on the nightbus and reasonably connected for national rail too.
    The room pretty big and has a European king sized bed (pine), and matching drawers, wardrobe and bedside cabinet. There is a widescreen TV and freeview recorder in the room too (picture on that TV not excellent but a better portable with dvd player is coming soon) and there is room for some aditional furniture too. Storage is available in the loft too.
    Heating in the room is entirely at your control. Walls are biege, carpet green and blind is white.
    You'll be sharing the house with just one other vegan (me). And there is a large living room with V+ cable and a widescreen TV with freesat and a DVD player there is also airconditioning for the summer months. There's a good broadband connection too. Kitchen is basic with 4 hobs, an oven/ grill and a multifunction microwave.
    It's not got a normal cooker that's wired in so two of the hobs are seperate from the small cooker but the oven is big enough for two roasting tins and the microwave has a fan oven and grill built in too so that's not much of an issue.
    There's a fridge and freezer and plenty of cupboard space, dining table etc too.
    Laundry fascilities are unusual these days in that it comes in the form of a twin tub(very cheap to run and saves a lot of water, it's actually a lot quicker than a front loader too), a spin dryer and an iron and board which are kept in the pantry. There is a pretty big balcony with clothes lines too. There is also a study with sofa, desk and wireless printer.
    Bathroom is basic with a toilet, bath and sink, orginal too with spider taps. The bath is really big and deep, prfect for a long soak but there is no shower.

Big hallway with lots of room for coats too. A second cable box can be added either for your room or the study for a low fee from the cable company.
    Rent to be discussed and can either include or exclude bills as preferred.
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

I've just been past the Tai buffet on the corner of Lexington Street and Beak Street (near Mildreds) and they were closed down on 14th May by Environmental Health due to 'serious infestation of mice, no electricity, no hot water, poor maintenance of cleaning & resulting significant risk of food contamination'. Is it really so hard for this chain to keep things clean?
    No sign of activity so I'm guessing they may not reopen.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    I've just been past the Tai buffet on the corner of Lexington Street and Beak Street (near Mildreds) and they were closed down on 14th May by Environmental Health due to 'serious infestation of mice, no electricity, no hot water, poor maintenance of cleaning & resulting significant risk of food contamination'. Is it really so hard for this chain to keep things clean?
    No sign of activity so I'm guessing they may not reopen.
    Yuck!! That was the branch that was closed last summer because of mice and rats!!

BlackCats

Was that the place I went in last month with Robb and Clare? Oh no.

I can top that! I ate at the Greek Street one late on the night before it got closed down (which I discovered when I went back to try to lunch the next day!)

Maybe those Tai places have been using MSG - and those rodents - just have to go back for some more...
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

maybe? they make the food out of msg.
    in truth the whole of soho has serious rodent issues and the water courses I'm led to believe still are contaminated with cholera.
    Might start avoiding again though

TBH - i'd rather visit a restaurant after it has been prosecuted.

Quote bradders View Post
    in truth the whole of soho has serious rodent issues
    I know but somehow I doubt we will see Mildreds (a few doors down) being closed for that reason. No water? Lack of proper cleaning routine? Those things are completely avoidable.

(The 'no electricity' is interesting as how did they provide lighting and keep hot dishes warm - unless they were recently cut off?)

Quote bradders View Post
    in truth the whole of soho has serious rodent issues
    Yes, I was just reading an article that said that rats and mice are a problem in the theatres there, and that the cast of one show found rat droppings in their make-up I don't know what would be a humane solution, although I gather that the council don't collect the rubbish as often as people think they ought to.

BlackCats

I spoke to the Rentokill man at my old work and he said he never eats out in Soho because he knows how unsanitary it is there. It's all the rubbish left out I bet. According to him the Brick Lane area is also really bad and he avoids eating there too.

When we went to that Tai place last month they had no lights on downstairs and they had to give us a torch if we wanted to walk down to use the loo.

<reviews plans to see a play later and then go for a meal>

chances are that on the day the venue had a power failure (that could also account for the lack of water in the building if they are using a boosted water/ riser system like many buildings there) and they decided quite wrongly to stay open under those conditions. Power failures are also quite common in the soho area for a number of reasons including damage caused by animals.

Of course there is no excuse in the venue remaining open under the conditions no matter what the causes are and it is the case that this sort of thing has happened before in one or more of their restaurants.

as for humane solutions to the soho problem there are few really that would be appropriate but sonic repellents are perhaps the best there is (or least worst) alongside improving the sanitation infrastructure, cleaning out all basements and subterrains and using rodent proof refuse storage. Westminster council is bringing back litter bins which should help deal with the huge amount of 'food' left on the street.

mildreds perhaps would not have the same problem with rodents not least because they had bait boxes down in the loos the last time I went (a little disapointing in a veggie place) .

The construction of the area and the usage of it leads inevitably to an increase in the numbers of 'pests' in the area (much like the brick lane area) all those eateries and all that rubbish so close together with two+ levels of serviced basement and even more disused, open connection between storm trains and the sewers, street level venting.... all perfect for surface and subsurface loving rodents to eat, nest and breed

Quote BlackCats View Post
    When we went to that Tai place last month they had no lights on downstairs and they had to give us a torch if we wanted to walk down to use the loo.
    and you still ate there? A braver women than I am.

BlackCats

I don't know if I just have never seen it but where can you buy seitan in London? I always seem to find tempeh *spits* but no seitan. I did just read that the Redwood's "chicken" pieces are made of seitan and I do really like them.

Quote bradders View Post
    and you still ate there? A braver women than I am.
    We didn't know there was no lighting downstairs when we first got there. I'm in no hurry to go back to Tai actually. I do eat in Soho quite a bit though, I just push the information about rodents/cockroaches to the back of my mind.

at that point I would have stopped eating and left without paying and told them why I was doing so.
    I eat in the area when I can afford it, usually at beatroot.

Stu

Yeah, I went to Beatroot the other day. Mmmmmm, sausage rolls.

is anyone going to any of the Love London Green Festival?

BlackCats

I don't know if I just have never seen it but where can you buy seitan in London?
    No one knows? Or is it that you can't buy seitan in this country?

I've only ever seen it made into things never plain in shops

You used to be able to get seitan "cutlets" and stuff like that in Fresh and Wild - not sure if you still can, but will try and remember to look next time I'm in one. Think I've seen them in Infinity Foods too.

The mock duck you get in tins in places like H&B and Chinese supermarkets is also made of seitan.

Harpy is right, they also do seitan sausages and slices for sandwiches or salads. I have seen seitan in a jar at a vegan fayre too.
    (None of this is quite like the yummy home made stuff you get in restaurants in New York though.)

helen105281

We got Seitan in a jar a few weeks back, haven't had it yet though and can't remember where we got it. Will ask BB.

Just seen a couple of different jars of seitan in Earth, Kentish Town.

BlackCats

Thanks people. I might try Earth then as I go to Kentish Town fairly regularly. I've never noticed it in Fresh and Wild. I could look there too.

Buddha Belly

Quote helen105281 View Post
    We got Seitan in a jar a few weeks back, haven't had it yet though and can't remember where we got it. Will ask BB.
    Arjuna in Cambridge. Really nice shop but bloody expensive.

Thanks people. I might try Earth then as I go to Kentish Town fairly regularly. I've never noticed it in Fresh and Wild. I could look there too.
    If they have it in F&W/Wholefoods it's usually near the chilled tempeh and tofu I think. Looks a bit repulsive, like Spam or something, you can't miss it

No one knows? Or is it that you can't buy seitan in this country?
    try the stuff of "wheaty", which in the fridge sections at the health food shops. their stuff is made of seitan and their complete range is vegan.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

BlackCats

Thanks guys.

NEW GRASS ROOTS WHOLEFOODS vegetarian cafe in Peckham.

Only been open a week. Run by vegan John and his friends. It is at 194 Bellenden Road, London SE15 4BW (corner Danby Road).

Train: Peckham Rye BR, or there are loads of buses such as 36 along Peckham High Road (get a free SE London bus map at tube stations). Tel 020-7358 1999.

Open: Mon-Wed 9.00-20.00, Thu closed, Fri-Sat 9.00-21.00, Sun 11.00-17.00

75% organic. Bright, friendly, relaxing. If you like Pogo Cafe Sunday breakfasts, you'll love this place any day.

Rootsy big cooked breakfast £6.50 with home-made sausage, scrambled bean curd, beans, roasted veg, hot drink. The Buljol £5.60 with plantain, ackee, Dominican Bulgol salad and Mastiff bread. Gluten-free porridge £3.50 with quinoa and millet flakes and teff flour. Muesli £3.95.

Moving on to lunch, soup £4 with bread. Le Swazib £6.50 carib bites, rice salad, tomato and pepper sauce. Mezze £6.10. Sir -fry with buckwheat noodles £5.90. Jam Dom ackee and scrambled bean curd with rice £5.90.

Sandwiches can be bagel £2.95, baguette £3.50. Desserts make with unusual ingredients such as spelt, hemp or Ethiopean teff flour such as apple pie, cherry pie.

Cakes such as spelt flour choc coconut sweetened with date syrup £3.10 eat in, £2.80 take-away. Tea, coffee, hot choc £1.20-2.30. They make their own almond and sesame milk. No alcohol yet, BYO for now. Children welcome, baby changer, high chairs. They sell a few groceries.

I'd just like to add that for people concerned about going through peckham they should go to east dulwich, one further stop out from central but a similar walk only much safer and without the gutters and pavements of blood from the many butchers in peckham.
    but it does look pretty cool

According to him the Brick Lane area is also really bad and he avoids eating there too.
    That's good to know after living here for a year. Oh well, it probably helps me build up immunity to disease.

I had a nice lunch today at a Lebanese restaurant near Marble Arch. Can't remember what it was called, though. We had some tasty falafel, a salad, and a dish called batata something (can't seem to remember the full name) that had spiced potatoes and mixed vegetables. I also had some fresh lemonade--they have a lot of fresh fruit juices on offer, including pineapple and mango. I was quite sad they didn't have any tabbouleh, though. Afterwards we went to a Lebanese grocery store just down the road--if anyone likes olives that's the place to go...£4 a kilo (they sell them out of big bins and you take the amount you want). They were also selling some nuts and dried fruits in bulk...I wish I'd discovered that place earlier instead of right before I leave London, as I prefer to buy in bulk (that way I can get the amount I need, and it's usually cheaper).

I also finally got a chance to try Scoop in Covent Garden a few weeks ago...it was delicious (in fact, Shrapnel and I went there a couple of days in a row we loved it so much). The extra dark chocolate gelato was absolutely amazing, and the fruit flavours were delicious as well (brought back memories of traveling in Italy, though those were in my prevegan days).

well at least you know some places for WHEN you come back to london

Quote bradders View Post
    well at least you know some places for WHEN you come back to london
    Thanks for thinking positively!

Quote mariana View Post
    I also finally got a chance to try Scoop in Covent Garden . . . The extra dark chocolate gelato was absolutely amazing
    That's my favourite too.

How do I not know about this place? I looked at their web site, but lots of mentions of milk and cream and no mention of vegan options...

If you do a search you'll find I've mentioned it quite a few times . . .

Serves you right for having me on ignore!

Did somebody say something?

Quote robb View Post
    How do I not know about this place? I looked at their web site, but lots of mentions of milk and cream and no mention of vegan options...
    They do a lot of stuff for people with allergies and mark everything in the shop with stickers about what contains dairy, eggs, and gluten--so they happen to have 'accidentally vegan' options without dairy or eggs. You can also ask them what's egg- and dairy-free (the woman working when we went didn't know what vegan meant--though I don't think English was her first language).

Quote Marrers View Post
    That's my favourite too.
    I remember you wrote about that so I gave it a try...amazing! *drools*

The addition of stickers is good because as mariana says the staff sometimes struggle to understand. I've been told all the sorbets are vegan except those with crushed biscuits on top. The only vegan ice cream is the extra dark chocolate. (I first read about it in Time Out where they reviewed it when it first opened, saying there vegan options.)

BlackCats

I'm taking my friend to a vegan/ vegetarian restaurant when she comes to visit me this month. When we were closer friends she was vegetarian like I was back then but she has gone back to eating meat but I think she likes vegetarian food though and I'm thinking where is the best place to take her? I was thinking Mildred's but it isn't open on Sundays. She likes Indian food so I might take her to Sagar (and just avoid the dhosas!) I thought of Rootmaster but it's not close to where she is staying. 222 is an option.

Is there somewhere you can get a vegan roast dinner in London?