Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Vegan London, part 2

Buddha Belly

Default Re: Vegan London, part 2

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Hello again all. Sorry to be battering this thread so much, but I just wanted to inform you that I can officially reveal the address for Vx!:

73 Caledonian road, just 5 minutes walk from Kings Cross station.

Hopefully will be opening on Tuesday 16th, as I said earlier. I won't be able to make it there on its opening week, due to an impromptu trip, but I'll be sure to post about it when I do visit.

Was not sure where 73 Caledonian Rd was, so I mapped it on my iPhone. Still can not recall where the shop is, but I can easily find it from my favourite museum.

The London Anal Museum?
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Buddha Belly

The entrance is round the back.

Vx's shopfront (image courtesy of ssov's Rudee)

Oh no! Not another post from bryzee!

the following on East London veggie Indian places is courtesy of xlaurasynthesisx on sthe ssov forum:

I don't know why East London is left out by most online vegetarian guides. High Street North in East Ham must have the biggest concentration of vegetarian restaurants in the country. I work nearby and have started working my way around the Indian Vegetarian places on offer.

These places are all purely vegetarian and have similar menus, very cheap prices and fast food-type interior decor. I'd recommend the tiffin-type snacks rather than curry and rice. Specialties tend to be the dosa, vadai, mushroom manchurian, idly, and bhel poori. The dosa are massive and for most people would be a meal in itself. Much of the food is fried, so if you don't like a bit of oil, you might want to steer clear. You must have a good dosa at least once in your life though. I'll use a simple 4 * system below to rate the restaurants according to my taste.

GREEN STREET (nearest underground station Upton Park)

Amitas - http://www.amitasvegetarian.com/ ***

A smarter interior than the other places.

Vijay's Chawalla - http://www.veggieheaven.com/uk/engla...Chawalla_6593/ ***

Have the bhel poori, though you'll want to ask them to leave out the onions unless you really love raw onions. Mogo chips are also good.

HIGH STREET NORTH (nearest underground station East Ham)

Chennai Dosa - http://www.chennaidosa.com **

The 339 High Street North branch is purely vegetarian. One of the mushroom starters - I think it's the gobi manchurian - can be made vegan and is yummy.

Saravana Bhavan - http://www.saravanabhavan.co.uk **

I find SB's food a bit too spicy & oily and not as tasty, but there is a big menu including Indian Chinese food.

Taste of India - http://www.restauranttasteofindia.co.uk/ ****

The best of the bunch - go here as a priority. A massive menu and the best dosa I've ever eaten. Have the paper masala dosa, vadai (I had the lentil one), and if you're still hungry and don't mind some oil have the kal dosa (thicker pancake than paper dosa). My colleague of Indian descent says that the food here is authentic.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Vx's shopfront (image courtesy of ssov's Rudee)

Isn't there a veg/health food shop around there any way? Or is this the place thats been taken over? I remember a health store type place that sold fresh food, on a corner sure it was down that street, ok I know its a big street

I'm gutted about Red Veg. I always made a special trip there if I was in London.
    Is the one in Brighton still going? I couldn't get the website email to work, it just bounced. There were hints at opening one in Cambridge, I think that would do well with veggie students!

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    The entrance is round the back.

I heard it was a bit of a crapper to find...
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

helen105281

I am so excited about the SSOV store, we are going to have a look on Friday 19th before the Peking Palace meal.

BlackCats

^ I haven't tried any of those East London places yet.

Quote finnjax View Post
    Isn't there a veg/health food shop around there any way? Or is this the place thats been taken over? I remember a health store type place that sold fresh food, on a corner sure it was down that street, ok I know its a big street
    Did you mean that Tony's hemp place? I used to get my lunch from there quite often when I used to work in the area. It was very nice.

it was many of the times I've asked for a soya hot chocolate, they were going on about how it was destroying their country or something like that and trying to get me to have rice milk instead. Most of the time they're not that rude but they certainly are not fast at getting things done and are incapable of multitasking.
    I was in a a queue for ages once and the bulk of activity was related to moving a cloth from one side of the back counter to the other by different staff, one standing by the panini press waiting for it but not doing anything else while waiting followed by making a coffee she could have made while waiting for the press. They seem to move around a lot behind the counter but just seem never to accomplish anything, half the time they're undoing/ redoing something that has just been done. And it is something I have noticed too often that staff will be chatting between each other while I wait until I actually say something. I don't think they are deliberately rude, just occasionally ill informed, poor at team work and prioritization. I stress that it isn't all the staff and not all the time.
    Anyhoo looking forward to the new SSOV shop
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote helen105281 View Post
    I am so excited about the SSOV store, we are going to have a look on Friday 19th before the Peking Palace meal.
    I might be planning the same

Thinking about it I might go on the Sat before I head home if there are frozen foods to buy - might stock up

There seems to be a lot of new places to try since I last went to London - SSOV, Loving Hut, the Italian place and Mrs Marengos (dont know how I missed that one on past visits)

I really enjoyed my Mrs Marengo's burger and fries. Very tasty, good friendly service and a nice bright atmosphere. I'll certainly be going again.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

helen105281

Quote alisont View Post
    I might be planning the same
    May see you there then

Hello again, all.

Quick update on the ssov shop in King's Cross - Rudy will be opening the shop "officially" on saturday this week, but will be open from 10am-6.30pm every day until then in case anyone wants to try some of their cakes/food.

http://www.secretsocietyofvegans.co.uk/cts/

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Hello again, all.

Quick update on the ssov shop in King's Cross - Rudy will be opening the shop "officially" on saturday this week, but will be open from 10am-6.30pm every day until then in case anyone wants to try some of their cakes/food.

Thanks for the updates - how handy Im in London Fri/Sat was going to go Fri but think Sat might be better then I can get some cakes/frozen meals to take home with me. Wonder what food they will be selling?

helen105281

We are only in London on Friday so will pop in to see what there is.

He told me that they will have some lasagne/canneloni (amongst others), and that they are delicious!

I will be popping along tomorrow morning to grab some cake for my train journey.

p.s. the reason they're not opening yet, I've discovered, is because something has gone awry with some shop fittings.

Quote mariana View Post
    Does anyone know of any places to get vegan Thai food? I'm craving Thai! I know Mango Tree does a separate vegetarian/vegan menu, but they're so pricey.... Any other places?
    I just read on this review that if you book via Top Table you get a 50% discount off the food bill. I haven't looked into it but it sounds too good to be true!
    eta Yes, it's true - they are included in the special offers list here! I wonder for how long.

Menu here. (Their cocktails sound good too! ) I feel an outing coming on . . . .
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I can confirm the mango tree cocktails are very good. It's not cheap though, I think dinner with drinks came to about £96 a head a few years back (05?).
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

How many drinks did you have?! I noticed there were no prices on the menu link.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

It was a work do, so quite a few

Cocktails were £7-£12

They didn't have a vegan menu back then, but the food they made specially was very good (like it felt they'd really made an effort, not just fobbed me off with an oily curry).

Quote Shisha Fiend View Post
    The Gallery Cafe in Bethnal Green is a vegetarian/vegan cafe, it's brilliant. It's pretty much the high point of my daily routine right now.
    I heard good things about this place today.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I just read on this review that if you book via Top Table you get a 50% discount off the food bill. I haven't looked into it but it sounds too good to be true!
    eta Yes, it's true - they are included in the special offers list here! I wonder for how long.

Menu here. (Their cocktails sound good too! ) I feel an outing coming on . . . .
    Ooh, lovely! It does worry me that their menu doesn't have prices.... But I'd really like to try it, and 50% off is really great! I too feel an outing coming on.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Hello again, all.

Do you know if they have those "Snickers" and "Mars Bars" in stock?
    Would love to pop round and buy some!

You can ask direct on twitter - @ssov

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    You can ask direct on twitter - @ssov
    What a sensible suggestion!

I'm a stupid head...

Comment added by Korn: Part one of Vegan London is here.
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 22nd, 2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Please start a new thread!