Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 2

Stu

Default Re: Vegan London, part 2

Quote Marrers View Post
    The health shop is a branch of Revital. Thanks Stu. For me it's a shame it's not actually in the station though.
    If you go up the escalator at the back of the station on the right (the one that leads up into the little shopping centre called Victoria Place or something), and walk to the back of the shopping centre, Revital is just opposite the exit, so you are outside for literally 10 seconds.

I meant the new eatery actually. But it's the same thing for both really - I'm at Victoria very often and rarely go to Revital as it takes several minutes to walk there and back (and it can take a while to cross that road). If things take me too far out of my way I end up not going there.
    (On my way home I have to walk past the departures board to get there and it's unlikely there won't be a train in a few minutes - I'll usually decide not to miss the train. If the Raw place was actually on the station itself I would go there before knowing if there was a train.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I have an exhibition next week near Liverpool Street Station so I think I'll have to stock up there on my way, so I don't accidentally eat at the Rootmaster!

Quote mariana View Post
    I couldn't resist so I stopped by there on my way home just to look around. (Naturally, I couldn't help but buy a coconut fig tart while I was there. ) There were only two people in there when I went in but maybe it was just the time of day since I think they're mostly aiming to sell lunch. They told me they just opened yesterday! They offered the guy in front of me a sample of raw chocolate and he looked absolutely disgusted and said it was really bitter--I tried it and it tasted just like dark chocolate to me except smoother. Maybe he was expecting milk chocolate? I really hope it does stay open. I feel like it's not that well located either--I would have never noticed it if you hadn't posted. The woman who helped me told me she's veggie and assured me that everything they make is put immediately into the boxes so the fish never gets near the vegan food (that was good to hear). I told her I read about it on a vegan site and she wanted me to thank you for posting about it and said to continue spreading the word.
    Hmm, raw chocolate.... This is dangerous! Hope you liked the tart I recommended. I'm sure it's food that's quite alien to most people's tastes and I'm not sure it's really the right audience there. Let's hope it lasts though - I need something interesting for lunch now and then! maybe you, me and troutina can keep it going singlehandedly!

Quote Troutina View Post
    I have an exhibition next week near Liverpool Street Station so I think I'll have to stock up there on my way, so I don't accidentally eat at the Rootmaster!
    Hehe, Rootmaster is quite dangerous in that way--when I first moved here it was the only place I knew of around here that did vegan food so when I was feel lazy I went there to get takeaway....definitely way too expensive for takeaway! (Luckily someone--Robb I think--pointed out there's a Wagamama in Spitalfields Market so now if I'm feeling too lazy to cook I go there usually.)

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    Hmm, raw chocolate.... This is dangerous! Hope you liked the tart I recommended. I'm sure it's food that's quite alien to most people's tastes and I'm not sure it's really the right audience there. Let's hope it lasts though - I need something interesting for lunch now and then! maybe you, me and troutina can keep it going singlehandedly!
    The tart was delicious! Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah, I really hope it can last! The three of us will just have to do our best!

Quote Troutina View Post
    Are you exhibiting your own artwork? (Very cool!)

Quote mariana View Post
    Are you exhibiting your own artwork? (Very cool!)
    Yeah its a group show on Hanbury Street, just off Brick Lane.
    I've got a couple of pieces in it. Pop round if you're free!

Quote Troutina View Post
    Yeah its a group show on Hanbury Street, just off Brick Lane.
    I've got a couple of pieces in it. Pop round if you're free!
    Wow, that's really cool. I go to Hanbury Street quite frequently (there's a coffee shop there called Nude Espresso that I like). If I'm free that day I'll come--it would be really interesting! When is it and where (in a gallery?)? (Or you can PM me the details.)

Quote mariana View Post
    Wow, that's really cool. I go to Hanbury Street quite frequently (there's a coffee shop there called Nude Espresso that I like). If I'm free that day I'll come--it would be really interesting! When is it and where (in a gallery?)? (Or you can PM me the details.)
    I'm not sure what number on the road it is, but it's a disused shop which we are naming Hanbury Street Gallery, and we should have some letters in the window of the shop so you can recognise it. The private view is Thursday 7th and its open until Sunday. Am I allowed to advertise on here! I feel a bit cheeky haha. The show is called One More Than Six; if you have a facebook, it should come up in a search

We're trying our best to keep RaW going - just saw Miarana in there! Perhaps we won't have to try too hard though as it was pretty busy in there. Howver, I've decided that I don't like sprouting pulses that much which is annoying as that's a lot of what they have

Quote Troutina View Post
    I'm not sure what number on the road it is, but it's a disused shop which we are naming Hanbury Street Gallery, and we should have some letters in the window of the shop so you can recognise it. The private view is Thursday 7th and its open until Sunday. Am I allowed to advertise on here! I feel a bit cheeky haha. The show is called One More Than Six; if you have a facebook, it should come up in a search
    I hope it's okay you put it on here. Cool--I found it on facebook. I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to find...Hanbury street isn't that big. I'll try to stop by! Will you be there at any point? Would be cool to meet you. (Also what's your name? I'd like to know which artwork is yours. )
    We're trying our best to keep RaW going - just saw Miarana in there! Perhaps we won't have to try too hard though as it was pretty busy in there. Howver, I've decided that I don't like sprouting pulses that much which is annoying as that's a lot of what they have
    Yay for us! By the way, sorry I didn't see you at first--I'm terrible at paying attention to my surroundings...I always just get lost in thought. I unfortunately don't care for the sprouting pulses much either, and I wasn't too impressed with the almond balls...the rosemary hummus was quite nice though and I really enjoyed my dessert (it was some kind of raw nut bar with a chocolate topping). I was glad to see more people in there today!

We're trying our best to keep RaW going - just saw Mariana in there!
    You two!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I'm gonna be near Liverpool Street on the morning of Friday the 8th at about 11. Mariana and VeganMonkey, are you gonna be around? If so, we could check out the artwork then grab a RaW lunch...

Oh that's very nice isn't it - don't bother to invite anyone else Robb . . .

( )

Yeah, right. 'Cos you need an invite...

Well luckily for you I can't make it . . . I was just thinking of others, as I always am!

Quote robb View Post
    I'm gonna be near Liverpool Street on the morning of Friday the 8th at about 11. Mariana and VeganMonkey, are you gonna be around? If so, we could check out the artwork then grab a RaW lunch...
    I'm chained to my desk around 11... but could make lunch anytime from 12 onwards. Would be cool

Quote Marrers View Post
    Well luckily for you I can't make it . . . I was just thinking of others, as I always am!
    You can't make it? Oh, in that case...

"Anyone else want to come? Everyone's welcome..."

I'm chained to my desk around 11... but could make lunch anytime from 12 onwards. Would be cool
    Cool. OK, if I don't have to rush back to the orifice [sic.] I'll stick around until then.

I think I should be free that day. Since others are now allowed () I'll bring Shrapnel along with me if he's not too jetlagged (he's getting here the 7th).

Quote mariana View Post
    I hope it's okay you put it on here. Cool--I found it on facebook. I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to find...Hanbury street isn't that big. I'll try to stop by! Will you be there at any point? Would be cool to meet you. (Also what's your name? I'd like to know which artwork is yours. )
    It's number 65. Would be lovely to meet you! I'll be in the gallery during the private view on Thursday and probably all day Saturday, then taking it down slightly earlier than others on Sunday. My name's Christina

Oh noes. You're not gonna be there on Friday? Damn it, we need to meet the artist...

Stu

I tried to go to the Raw at Victoria today, but it was closed. This was around 12:30pm. I couldn't tell if it was closed down or just closed, cos of the big shutter.

NEW:

THE RAW BAR in the basement of Daylesford Organics, 208-212 Westbourne Grove, Notting Hill W1 2RH. Where Fresh & Wild used to be.

It's not veggie but is recommended in the latest Get Fresh! magazine.

Tel: 020-7313 8050. Open Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00, 18.00-22.00; Sat 10.00-17.00 (limited), 19.00-22.00 (full menu); Sun 10.00-15.00 (limited).

Also SNOWSFIELDS WELLNESS new health food store in Southwark at 41 Snowsfields SE1 3SU. Tel: 020-7407 9910.

For map see www.snowsfields.co.uk
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Quote Frank View Post
    Brand new veggie restaurant in Catford, south-east London
    Ma'at Centre vegetarian cafe and juice bar, 129 Rushy Green, Catford, London SE6 4AA. Tel: 020-8698 2044.
    Thanks for that Frank.

Quote robb View Post
    Oh noes. You're not gonna be there on Friday? Damn it, we need to meet the artist...

I don't think I can afford 3 days travel! We'll see how it goes!

You can stay with Robb!

BlackCats

I had a veggie burger at Ha Ha veggie bar in Camden Lock yesterday. It was very nice and it cost £3 for a burger with avocado, vegan mayo and ketchup. My brother had the pineapple one and he said it was nice too. The burger tasted like stuffing, which is a good thing.

puca

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I had a veggie burger at Ha Ha veggie bar in Camden Lock yesterday. It was very nice and it cost £3 for a burger with avocado, vegan mayo and ketchup. My brother had the pineapple one and he said it was nice too. The burger tasted like stuffing, which is a good thing.
    Ahh you liked it then!

It does taste like stuffing... But is good value.

Rani in Finchley is closing down (although it appears they will be open as normal while trying to sell the premises).
    This is it!
    It is with sadness we inform you that after a satisfying 25 year career at running RANI , we have reached a decision to retire from the restaurant business. While we leave with mixed feelings to pursue our other interests, we would like to tell you that the association we have enjoyed with all our customers over the years has been immense. We would like to thank you for choosing RANI when dining out.
    We would like to assure you that during the period while we look for a prospective buyer, business will be as usual. We will endeavour to give you quality meals that you have always enjoyed and look forward to your continued support.
    Thank you
    Mr. & Mrs. Pattni

Stu

I don't know it, but maybe we should organise a trip there, for before it shuts.

I've never been there either but would be up for a visit. There are plenty of yummy sounding things on the menu.

Mmmm curry.
    Last edited by beanstew; May 2nd, 2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: curry
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Me too. We should start a thread in the UK meet ups section.

Quote robb View Post
    I'm still free for this RaW lunch meeting tomorrow if anyone fancies it. Mariana, I can only stay about 45 minutes anyway but can be there any time that's convenient to others as long as it's after 12.

I hope I can still squeeze this in between work and emergency dentistry.

Mariana, I'll give you a shout when I'm in the neighbourhood, as I've got something to drop off with you even if I have to rush off.

Emergency dentist? - eek! Perhaps you won't be wanting to munch on raw spouting beans then!

RebeccaDye

Brand new veggie restaurant in Catford, south-east London
    Wahey! Finally something in South-East! Thanks Frank!

the shame about that for me is that now my mates have moved offices from Catford to Wearside (north end of Ladywell) I don't go to Catford anymore.
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

RebeccaDye

Ahh yeah, unfortunate timing!! I hear it's worth checking out though. Bet it looks out of place amongst the Poundstrechers, butchers and Bookies.

Quote robb View Post

"Anyone else want to come? Everyone's welcome..."

I work on Tott Crt Rd and would love to meet some fellow vegans

NOTHING could look out of place in Catford town centre, not a missile silo, Harvey Nichols or a sewage farm
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote robb View Post
    I hope I can still squeeze this in between work and emergency dentistry.

Mariana, I'll give you a shout when I'm in the neighbourhood, as I've got something to drop off with you even if I have to rush off.
    Oh no, Robb...hope your teeth are okay! Give me a call when you're in the area. I have class from 3-4 but will be around until 2:15 or 2:30 or so. Hope you get to join us if your teeth are feeling okay.

RebeccaDye

Haha

The bad news is that I've had to come back to work instead of grabbing some lunch and taking in some art. (Hope you got my text, Mariana.)

The good news is that Tibits are doing two for one until the end of the month! And you don't even have to find a copy of the Metro this time: voucher here.

BlackCats

Cheers Robb.

I hope you other guys met up today. I would have joined you but I am going into London tonight so I didn't want to go back and forth. I should try that place as Liverpool Street is fairly easy to get to for me.

Quote bradders View Post
    NOTHING could look out of place in Catford town centre, not a missile silo, Harvey Nichols or a sewage farm
    At least it has a big black and white cat statue.

Quote robb View Post
    The bad news is that I've had to come back to work instead of grabbing some lunch and taking in some art. (Hope you got my text, Mariana.)

The good news is that Tibits are doing two for one until the end of the month! And you don't even have to find a copy of the Metro this time: voucher here.
    Cheers for the voucher tip off Robb.
    Darn work! Hope your tooth is behaving now.

NEW VEGAN FAST FOOD PLACE OPENS!

Next Generation Gourmet vegan fast food, 25 Coptic Street WC1 (between New Oxford Street and British Museum, on the same block as Buffet V.

By the people who brought us V&M Express in Greek Street, this is a low-priced vegan fast food take-away with 15 seats, in a recycled McDonalds.

Open Mon-Sat 11.00-22.00, Sun 11.00-17.00. Tel: 0753 177 7278. Burgers from £1.50, nuggets, falafel £3, self-serve salad bar, subs, fries £1. Shakes, floats, soft drinks, fresh juices 80p-£1.80. Soya or rice milk.

Cash only initially. See the old place at www.vandmrestaurants.com There will be new dishes at this new address, get a flavour of them at www.nextgenerationgourmet.com
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Stu

Oooooooooooooooh! Thanks for that, Franky.

Default Scoff Home Deliveries

I had a leaflet through the door from a firm called Scoff, www.scoff.co.uk, which offers to deliver "healthy" food from bases in Islington and Fulham - you can also pick it up from their bases.

Some of the food is marked vegetarian but it didn't say anything about vegans so I e-mailed them and they helpfully got back with a list of foods that were or could be vegan which they have passed to their Fulham branch for when I call (so no pressure there ). They sounded as if they may well mark vegan options on a future version of their menu but I thought I'd pass on the list (below) in case anyone lives in their catchment area and wants to give them a try meantime. The basic menu is on the website.

I can't say we often have takeaways or home delivered food but it's nice to think that one could in an "emergency". I'll report back when I get around to trying them.

Apart from most of the side dishes, the only dishes that are totally vegan as described on the menu are the vine leaves, olives, and the Superfood salad (main or side dish - really nice with some flatbread!)

Unfortunately, the falafels are bound with a little egg and the Thai veg curry contains some fish sauce so they aren’t suitable. However, there are several other dishes that can be tweaked to make them suitable as follows:

Hummus and flatbread (we can replace the tzatziki with an extra pot of hummus)

The Tuscan bean and pasta soup without the Parmesan

Depending on the flavour, the seasonal soup may be suitable if no cream or milk has been added

Spicy chickpea, cous cous and lentil salad with roasted sweet potato, butternut squash – without the yogurt dressing (you could request a balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing instead)

Vegetarian chilli (without the sour cream detailed on the menu) – add a side of organic brown basmati and wild rice and salad leaves

Vegetable tagine (good with a side order of cous cous and flat bread) without the minted yogurt.

Warm roasted Mediterranean vegetable and Puy lentil salad with cous cous instead of the halloumi (I had this last week and thought it was delicious!)

We prepare our pasta sauces during the day in our main kitchen in order to be speedy in service so it is not practical for us to take the cream out of the mushroom and spinach sauce for example, but we could do penne pasta with roasted Mediterranean vegetables and olives.

All the sides are suitable bar the mashed potato, buttered new potatoes (you could have them without the butter though) and garlic breads and the yogurt dressing that comes with the spiced chickpea, cous cous & lentil etc salad.

Unfortunately we don’t currently have any homemade vegan puddings but if you have any favourite recipes do let us know [I sent a couple of recipes]. However, the Roskilly’s organic lemon sorbet is vegan as are all the drinks.

I went to the Peking Palace last night. The food was amazing; we had the Mixed Hors D'oeuvres to start (spring rolls, seaweed, prawn toast and SPARE RIBS!- these were amazing) then crispy duck pancakes (very greasy but the flavour was great) then we had crispy noodles with chicken, and sizzling lamb in black bean sauce. Plus two portions of prawn crackers With two soft drinks it came to around 35 pounds, very nice indeed. The service was incredibly s-l-o-w though, and the two hosts were switching between the kitchen and dining area and drinks area so frequently that drinks weren't being served with meals, or very late. The host said that each dish was made one by one! This sounds crazy! When only 5 tables were taken, and 3 take away orders, we were there for 2 hours, most of which was waiting around! So just a word of warning, don't go if you're in a rush. Saying that the food was very good, and the mock meats (although very fatty and at times quite greasy) were a lovely choice, and it was so nice being able to eat anything on the menu- it took us a while to order!