Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 2

Default Re: Vegan London, part 2

Glad you enjoyed Peking Palace BC - Im wishing Id of said before you went that I noticed the co op near there sells the vegan doughnuts - Im sure i read somewhere you saying you were yet to find any?

I shall have to arrange a London trip and a Rootmaster meal, but afraid Ive not got plans to be in London until the Sept vegan festival, and hopefully for Cherrys birthday celebrations.

Im sure Il be down before Sept - as long as Travelodge has a sale

Blimey alisont, we can't wait that long - especially after bradders and mariana have been telling us how delicious it is there! We'll just have to test run it for you in the meantime - purely so we can lead the way when you are here in September and you don't have to struggle with your phone map!

I'm starting a thread. Maybe we could combine it with the proposed meet up on 13th?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote bradders View Post
    ha ha no probs
    on brick lane there is the kebab shop (forget what it's called though) and in hoxton not too far away there is a really posh kebab place that I recall having a few vegan options then there are loads of little veggie cafés that are vegan savvy too.
    OMG, Bradders, tell me about these kebab shops and little veggie cafes! I live 5 minutes from Rootmaster (and around 7 minutes from Liverpool Street station). Do you know of any names of cafes? The only places I've found around here are Rootmaster and this stall at the Sunday market.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Yes, I vote Alison should organise it, given as she doesn't even live in London. (I'm too scared of starting a meet-up thread and no one turning up.)

Peking Palace was again delicious tonight, my omni brother scoffed the lot. He said that if he was really drunk he wouldn't have really noticed that it wasn't meat. They had these fake prawns/shrimp which were far too realistic looking for me.
    Yeah, those fake shrimp things really freak me out too.

I can't remember the names but they're down the little random streets with odd street names
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

Quote bradders View Post
    I can't remember the names but they're down the little random streets with odd street names
    Yeah, that should be easy to find.

i know we're dealing with old london and most streets have weird names

Quote bradders View Post
    Exactly. But I'll just have to wander around a bit sometime.

I tried V&M this week- its pretty good!
    I had burger, chips and milkshake for a fiver.
    The burgers nice, with a small portion of chips.
    The guy serving was super friendly too, and we got a couple of spring rolls to munch on while waiting for our food!

BlackCats

^ Ah yes that is true, I forgot, when we were in V&M the woman gave us a free taster of a starter while we were waiting.

Yeah, they're pretty good at freebies.

By the way, while I'm in the Vegan London thread, I just wanted to point any VFers who haven't previously joined us at a meet-up (or indeed who have) in the direction of this. We're a friendly bunch really. And the cake is very good.

I went to V&M dining (the sit-down restaurant) last week with the uni Veg Society. The head of the society worked out some kind of special deal for us ahead of time, so for Ł10 we got a soft drink or juice, 3 starters (sushi, spring rolls, and dumplings--and they kept appearing and refilling our plates), a main dish (I had the burger, chips, onion rings, and salad), a milkshake, a dessert (apple pie and ice cream), and tea. It was WAY too much food (I couldn't even finish my burger and chips) but it was tasty, and I thought it was a really great price. I have no idea what their normal prices are like though. Overall an enjoyable meal and they were really friendly too.

Quote bradders View Post
    I once stumbled upon "Lambs Conduit Street" which made me smile.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

yeh that's near theobalds rd. There's also a St. Cross St. round there that's odd. I didn't know that the cross was a saint

Quote mariana View Post
    I went to V&M dining (the sit-down restaurant) last week with the uni Veg Society. The head of the society worked out some kind of special deal for us ahead of time, so for Ł10 we got a soft drink or juice, 3 starters (sushi, spring rolls, and dumplings--and they kept appearing and refilling our plates), a main dish (I had the burger, chips, onion rings, and salad), a milkshake, a dessert (apple pie and ice cream), and tea. It was WAY too much food (I couldn't even finish my burger and chips) but it was tasty, and I thought it was a really great price. I have no idea what their normal prices are like though. Overall an enjoyable meal and they were really friendly too.
    Wow that all sounds good!
    I think that they use Fry's burgers, they taste pretty similiar.
    And in the Express side they have a heated cabinet with sausage rolls, which seem like Fry's too.
    The restaurant was closed when we went, but sounds like it's worth a trip.

Quote Troutina View Post
    Wow that all sounds good!
    I think that they use Fry's burgers, they taste pretty similiar.
    And in the Express side they have a heated cabinet with sausage rolls, which seem like Fry's too.
    The restaurant was closed when we went, but sounds like it's worth a trip.
    I enjoyed it. Hope you get a chance to try it soon.

Went to V&M Dining for the first time on Friday. It was certainly an interesting experience.... my friend and I haven't laughed so much in ages (we were actually in tears). However, nor have I felt so concerned about hygiene in a restaurant for a long time. I won't go into it all but it seemed like a text book example of everything not to do when running a restaurant. We waited 10 minutes for menus and then the staff seemed confused by the 2 different menus we were given and what the differences actually were. There was no drinks menu so they have to list everything they have. The tables are very strangely arranged and too close together. An old kitchen cabinet hold glasses and other furniture is thick with dust. Plastic containers, sacks of potatoes, a broken radiator and piles of boxes litter the place and loose wires hang from the ceiling. The chefs also wait tables and their grubby whites are pretty offputting. Our waiter had filthy hands and we saw him carrying our cake around the seating area in his cupped hands (honestly). It looked good but we couldn't eat it after that. The service was very slow although if wasn't busy. My pasta main was okay but swimming in oil. To be honest, the food was reasonably good for the price but I couldn't stop thinking that the place was dirty so I didn't enjoy it. The toilets were gross. I imagine they ran out of money as they've obviously made an effort with the decoration but it doesn't look finished. It wouldn't cost them much to keep it clean though.
    Having said all that, the staff are very friendly and I wasn't ill. They also gave us the desert for nothing (not sure if that was because we didn't eat it or because we had a long wait). But I don't think I'll be going back unless I need a good laugh at the 'Fawlty Towers' style of dining again.

Yuck! Thanks for the honesty!

I went to another S. Indian vegetarian place yesterday. It has a hard-to-spell name but here's the link http://www.sarashwathy.com/ (warning - rather loud music on this site!). I had a look and couldn't see anything about it on here so here goes.

We went to the Tooting branch which is a stone's throw from Tooting Broadway station. It's a brightly lit cafe type place rather than a formal restaurant. The speciality seems to be dhosas and the one I had was very good. They do have curries and so on as well - the menu is quite long but the food seemed nice and fresh.

Unfortunately the vegan dishes aren't marked on the menu but the nice waiter was knowledgeable and happy to say what was what, and a lot of the food does appear to be vegan. Portions are very generous - there were seven of us and we ordered what turned out to be more than we could eat, yet the bill was under Ł10/head before service. It isn't licensed but they have freshly squeezed juices and stuff like that.

Stu

Thanks for that, Harpo.

Forgot to mention the menu indicated the company would also come and make dhosas in your own home or garden. Could be a novel party idea - for London, probably not so novel in S. India

BlackCats

Thanks Harpy (please don't mention dhosas though, I never want to see another dhosa again.)

I tried Tai, a Chinese buffet in Camden Town the other day and I think they must use MSG because me and my brother again felt ill after. I'm sure it's nice if you don't react badly to MSG though, it tasted pretty good when we were eating it. You can get a box to take away for about Ł3.50 I think as other VF people had this the other night.

What's wrong with dh*s*s, dare I ask, BC?

I quite like those buffet places but I've noticed that for vegetarian food they often tend to be quite light on actual vegetables! Not sure that's a general rule, or why - maybe TVP works out cheaper than veg, does it?

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    Having said all that, the staff are very friendly and I wasn't ill. They also gave us the desert for nothing (not sure if that was because we didn't eat it or because we had a long wait). But I don't think I'll be going back unless I need a good laugh at the 'Fawlty Towers' style of dining again.
    They probably gave you the dessert free because as you hadn't eaten it, they could serve it to someone else

Having read that I don't think I'll be visiting there, although the concept of the place sounds great The hygiene 'standards' (and I use the term loosely) remind me too much of places in which I used to work.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

BlackCats

Quote harpy View Post
    What's wrong with dh*s*s, dare I ask, BC?
    I quite like those buffet places but I've noticed that for vegetarian food they often tend to be quite light on actual vegetables! Not sure that's a general rule, or why - maybe TVP works out cheaper than veg, does it?
    It was because I had that massive dhosa at Sagar if you remember and I couldn't finish it but then I ordered another dhosa when I was out at a local veggie restaurant the other day and I couldn't finish it either, I think I just don't like them so I should probably stop ordering them.

The Tai place did seem to have a lot of fake meat and noodles and spring rolls (and potato wedges ) and I always make the mistake of eating lots of that and ignoring the vegetables so I couldn't tell you if they serve lots of them or not.

I do like dhosas but it's true they are often too big to finish, especially if you've eaten a starter. I think I noticed a children's one on the menu the other day so perhaps I'll have that another time (on the assumption that it's smaller, rather than being liquidised or something )

i don't blame you about the dosas BC, i saw the size of the ones in Sagar i find them too filling as well.

that's a shame you didn't feel well after eating in Tai, i'm quite sensitive to MSG but i don't usually have a problem in their restaurants.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

just noticed on the SSOV website that V&M Express (the fast food place) has apparently moved, although i don't know where to. they said it was closed down, but somebody has added a comment to say 'it's moved closer to the museum.'

the V&M website still says they're at Greek St.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

next day I go into central I'll see but I'll be avoiding central London for the next week with the G20 protests etc
    would like to avoid getting caught up in that if at all possible

when I was at V&M Dining they said they'd be opening a location near the British Museum on Coptic Street.

arg that would have been handier than warren street this afternoon when I was at senate house, still live and learn

Quote Spud Addict View Post
    They probably gave you the dessert free because as you hadn't eaten it, they could serve it to someone else
    To my shame, I did pick at the ice cream as it was Rice Cream which I've never tried before! I couldn't enjoy it though wondering about the hygeine! Jessie (one of the owners I think) came over and told us proudly that he spent 3 months perfecting the brownie recipe - I felt really bad for him as I'm sure it was good. I just felt like saying 'well make sure your staff plate it up then instead of carrying it around in their fists'!
    But some other people here seem to have had good experiences of the place so I don't really want to put people off! (just thought I'd share my experience). I agree it's great to have a fully vegan a la carte place in central London (as a change from all the buffets). It's just such a shame it isn’t executed better. I do hope I’m wrong but I can’t see it lasting. As for the Express, I haven’t been past in a week or so but I guess the Greek Street one must have closed. According to their website it was always their plan to have that one and one by the BritishMuseum too. Perhaps they just couldn’t afford to keep both of them going and maybe thought that was a better location. It's a shame. I'll probably still go to the new Express as the burgers are yummy and never made me ill!

probably an off day really

The Gallery Cafe in Bethnal Green is a vegetarian/vegan cafe, it's brilliant. It's pretty much the high point of my daily routine right now.

BlackCats

^ I have heard of there being a veggie cafe in Bethnal Green but I have never tried it. I should do as it's relatively close to where I live. Is it cheap? What type of food do they do there?

There's a lot of places round there actually cos it's Globe Town, where the London Buddhist Centre is, so you got Gallery Cafe, one restaurant dats on about Cherries, and some others as well. I've only been to the Gallery Cafe, it's very good, they do amazing cakes, bagels are Ł2.10, they do vegan sausage ciabatta for about three or four quid (avoid this one if you don't like mustard tho), vegan paninis, and then they have mains which are like falafel, soup, etc. They do good burgers too. Plus really nice fruit smoothies, except those are quite expensive. Yeah, the food is good and reasonably priced but the drinks are pretty expensive, tho if you eat in they have jugs of water with slices of citrus fruit in that you can help yourself from for free.

BlackCats

Thanks. It sounds pretty good. I actually looked up that cafe on the net and there are favourable reviews so I will definitely be giving it a try soon.

Brand new veggie restaurant in Catford, south-east London

Opened 11 April 2009

Ma'at Centre vegetarian cafe and juice bar, 129 Rushy Green, Catford, London SE6 4AA. Tel: 020-8698 2044. Train: Catford (from Blackfriars) or Catford Bridge (from Charing Cross or London Bridge).

Open: Mon-Fri 12.30-16.00, 18.00-21.00; Sat 12.00-23.00; Sun closed, food demo classes.

Opened April 2009 and very welcome in south-east London. Afro-Carib, International, mostly vegan, 60 per cent organic. Salads and two soups Ł2.50 such as lentil, pumpkin or vegetable. Various filled roti wraps Ł3.50. Main courses Ł7.50 with a grain (rice, pasta, millet or quinoa) plus Ital stew, chickpea or soya chunks, yam, plantain, sweet potato, stir-fry veg, salads.

Cakes and desserts are all vegan Ł2.50 such as fruit crumble and non-dairy ice-cream. Freshly squeezed juices Ł2.50. Herbal tea Ł1. They use rice or almond milk.Cash only. No alcohol, you can bring your own though they do not encourage it. Raw food dishes on the way. 30 seats and some outside seating in the summer.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Theres' a new cafe/ takeaway by Liverpool Street station (by the front entrance next to Cafe Nero) called RaW. They also seem to have opened at Victoria station (I think it's the same place someone mentioned as having an outlet in Selfridges).
    Just tried a salad box with falafels which could have been yummier but I think I chose badly. Finishing off a fig and coconut tart now which is gorgeous. The hummus in the salad box was lovely too (they do a couple of varieties). Besides three meat/ fish salads I was told everything is vegan. They have dairy yoghurt but you can ask for soya yoghurt in the smoothies. All the cheese is made from nuts. I'm so happy - this vastly improves my lunchtime options!

Theres' a new cafe/ takeaway by Liverpool Street station (by the front entrance next to Cafe Nero) called RaW. They also seem to have opened at Victoria station (I think it's the same place someone mentioned as having an outlet in Selfridges).
    Just tried a salad box with falafels which could have been yummier but I think I chose badly. Finishing off a fig and coconut tart now which is gorgeous. The hummus in the salad box was lovely too (they do a couple of varieties). Besides three meat/ fish salads I was told everything is vegan. They have dairy yoghurt but you can ask for soya yoghurt in the smoothies. All the cheese is made from nuts. I'm so happy - this vastly improves my lunchtime options!
    That is very exciting!!! I think I'm going to have to try that soon!

I thought you would be interested Mariana! I just hope it lasts - there was hardly anyone in there today (although I think it's only been open a couple of days). I suspect it's the usual story where some people walk straight out again as soon as they realise there's not much meat...

Interesting, thanks for that VM. Any idea of the location of the one at Victoria station?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

No, I haven't seen it - just read that there was one on the website (it opened in Feb apparently)...

Stu

Quote Marrers View Post
    Any idea of the location of the one at Victoria station?
    Yes! It's right next to where I work. It's in the Collonades(sp?) on Buckingham Palace Road. If you walk down towards the National Express coach station, you go up the steps into the Collonades on your left. There's also a health food shop just around the corner which is very vegan friendly indeed, even selling vegan books etc.

Ooh I'm excited about the Liverpool Street one!
    I'm often in the area, and if it's a bit of a cheaper option, yes please!

I went to 222 for the first time today and had the lunchtime buffet. It was yum.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Quote Troutina View Post
    Ooh I'm excited about the Liverpool Street one!
    I'm often in the area, and if it's a bit of a cheaper option, yes please!
    It's standard City prices really - about 4.50 for a box of salady goodness...

Quote Stu View Post
    It's in the Colonnades on Buckingham Palace Road. . . . There's also a health food shop just around the corner which is very vegan friendly indeed, even selling vegan books etc.
    The health shop is a branch of Revital. Thanks Stu. For me it's a shame it's not actually in the station though.

I thought you would be interested Mariana! I just hope it lasts - there was hardly anyone in there today (although I think it's only been open a couple of days). I suspect it's the usual story where some people walk straight out again as soon as they realise there's not much meat...
    I couldn't resist so I stopped by there on my way home just to look around. (Naturally, I couldn't help but buy a coconut fig tart while I was there. ) There were only two people in there when I went in but maybe it was just the time of day since I think they're mostly aiming to sell lunch. They told me they just opened yesterday! They offered the guy in front of me a sample of raw chocolate and he looked absolutely disgusted and said it was really bitter--I tried it and it tasted just like dark chocolate to me except smoother. Maybe he was expecting milk chocolate? I really hope it does stay open. I feel like it's not that well located either--I would have never noticed it if you hadn't posted. The woman who helped me told me she's veggie and assured me that everything they make is put immediately into the boxes so the fish never gets near the vegan food (that was good to hear). I told her I read about it on a vegan site and she wanted me to thank you for posting about it and said to continue spreading the word.

Troutina--I think they also offer a smaller box for 3.95 (according to the sign outside anyway).

Ha ha, and three hours later you've already been there - how's that for a quick response!!

Quote Marrers View Post
    Ha ha, and three hours later you've already been there - how's that for a quick response!!
    Haha, I know. I couldn't resist the siren call of coconut fig tart and other vegan desserts! But I happen to walk by there twice a day every single day, so it would be silly not to check it out when I passed by!