Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan London, part 2

Default Re: Vegan London, part 2

Hmm, that description doesn't make it sound too appealing...but I'd be up for trying it if you guys go when I'm in London (especially as I've never had a proper tea in London).

Quote Troutina View Post
    Has anyone ever been to/ heard of Bake-A-Boo?
    http://www.bake-a-boo.com/
    I've just come across their website and it seems that they offer vegan cakes- not specifically labelled, but dairy&egg free. Though looking at their twitter feed, they do use egg in some cakes.
    How exciting!
    I went to bake-a-boo on Saturday afternoon and it's a really cute place (very girly and Cath Kidstony). I contacted them the day before to see if they did vegan afternoon tea (sadly they don't) and was told that on Saturday they would only have one type of vegan cake (chocolate cupcakes) so I should reserve some if I wanted them. It was a good thing I did as when we got there at 3, our reserved ones were the only vegan ones left. They seem to have a large range of dairy free cakes but a limitied range of egg free. There's a decent selection of loose leaf tea which comes in vintage pots large enough for about 5 cups. The cupcakes were large and had a really good frosting (also pretty moist). Two pots of tea and two cupcakes came to 6.50 which I thought was pretty good.

It's a small place with maybe 6 tables seating 2 and a large table for about 12 at the back where they have private parties (there's also a couple of tables outside but it's not a particularly nice road to sit on). It was quite busy when we got there but we got a table and didn't have to wait too long. It's about a 10 minute walk from West Hampstead stations (tube and 2 main lines).

I've emailed to see if they could be persauded to do a vegan tea for a large enough group - the area at the back is really lovely for a gathering.

New South Indian vegetarian restaurant in Covent Garden.

Sagar has opened a fourth branch at 31 Catherine Street, Covent Garden, London WC2B 5JS (just off Aldwych). Tel: 020-7836 6377.

Open: Mon-Sun 12.00-23.00. Just like the branches in Hammersmith, Tottenham Court Road and Twickenham.

Great value south Indian food such as dosas and uthappam from £4.25, curries £3.25-4.75. Thali from £12.25. Lunch box £3.50 with bhajia, 2 curries, salad, rice and Indian bread.

Eat in lunch special £5.75 with pappdam, bhajia, upma, masala dosa, rice of the day, veg curry, chutney and dessert.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

That Catherine St Sagar is the one some of the forum-ites went to the opening of a couple of months ago. I couldn't go to that but I've been there three or four times since and it is indeed just as nice as the other branches. Some of the waiters are also familiar from other branches, they must have promoted them They have the usual system that if you tell them you're vegan they will bring you a special vegan version of the menu.

Just one thing: if anyone is thinking of going late in the evening I would phone and check opening times - I have a feeling they are open until 11 on Fridays and Saturdays but may close earlier on other days.

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    I went to bake-a-boo on Saturday afternoon and it's a really cute place (very girly and Cath Kidstony). I contacted them the day before to see if they did vegan afternoon tea (sadly they don't) and was told that on Saturday they would only have one type of vegan cake (chocolate cupcakes) so I should reserve some if I wanted them. It was a good thing I did as when we got there at 3, our reserved ones were the only vegan ones left. They seem to have a large range of dairy free cakes but a limitied range of egg free. There's a decent selection of loose leaf tea which comes in vintage pots large enough for about 5 cups. The cupcakes were large and had a really good frosting (also pretty moist). Two pots of tea and two cupcakes came to 6.50 which I thought was pretty good.

It's a small place with maybe 6 tables seating 2 and a large table for about 12 at the back where they have private parties (there's also a couple of tables outside but it's not a particularly nice road to sit on). It was quite busy when we got there but we got a table and didn't have to wait too long. It's about a 10 minute walk from West Hampstead stations (tube and 2 main lines).

I've emailed to see if they could be persauded to do a vegan tea for a large enough group - the area at the back is really lovely for a gathering.
    Sounds nice (I think it's good people are eating up their vegan cupcakes ). Too bad they don't have a wider range of vegan cakes. It sounds like a good place for a meet-up! Hopefully they'd do a vegan tea.

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    I went to bake-a-boo . . . seem to have a large range of dairy free cakes but a limitied range of egg free. There's a decent selection of loose leaf tea which comes in vintage pots large enough for about 5 cups. The cupcakes were large and had a really good frosting (also pretty moist).
    Thanks for the review - sounds lovely!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Thanks for the review - sounds lovely!
    The lady that runs Bake-a-Boo has agreed to do a vegan afternoon tea if we can get a group of 10 together (see Afternoon Tea in London' thread)

A few years ago I ate at The Mango Tree, where I had some of the best Thai food I've ever had. At the time they didn't have even a vegetarian menu, but they cooked vegan stuff specially.

I've just looked at their website again and they seem to now have a vegan menu:

http://www.mangotree.org.uk/menus_detail.php?id=25

It's not cheap - I wasn't paying. I think it came to about £96 a head inc drinks, but we were completely sozzled.

They don't have prices against the vegan items, but they seem to have lunches from £20 and dinner from £30 a head.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Put me down as a possible for the teaparty, please, VeganMonkey! I'll come if I can.

I finally went to Tibits last night and was quite impressed. Lots for vegans and as Marrers (I think it was) said, quite similar to the late lamented Country Life, only with a posher, but still relaxed, atmosphere (and no religious pamphlets ) .

It was a (the?) warm evening and we were able to sit outside in the (pedestrianised) street. I think it came to about £18/head+service even though we rather pigged out I'm afraid. The omnivore friends I was with were pretty impressed too.

Am going to go back a.s.a.p. - I really hope this one stays in business!

I got a menu via email from The Mango Tree that includes prices. For the quality they seem quite reasonable:

Appetiser

Som Tum (vg) 6.00
    Green papaya salad with cherry tomato, snake beans, peanut and
    spicy lime sauce

Yum Makuer Yau 6.80
    Spicy grilled aubergine salad with crispy shallots

Por Pia Pak (vg) 5.75
    Vegetable spring rolls served with sweet and spicy sauce

Tow Hoo Satay (vg) 5.25
    Grilled tofu marinated in satay spices and served with satay
    peanut sauce

Soup

Tom Yum Jay (vg) 4.50
    The famous hot and sour vegetable soup

Curry

Gaeng Kiew Wan Pak (vg) 10.50
    Thai and pea aubergines with mixed vegetables and green curry

Gaeng Garee Pak (vg) 10.50
    Mixed vegetables and new potatoes with yellow curry

Stir-fry

Pad Ka Pow Pak (vg) 9.80
    Stir fried mixed vegetables with chilli and basil

Pad Pak Sai Med Mamuang (vg) 9.80
    Stir fried mixed vegetables with cashew nuts

Pad Pak Ruam Mit (vg) 9.80
    Stir fried mixed vegetables with garlic sauce

Pad Kana Gratiam(v) 9.80
    Stir fried Chinese kale with mushroom and garlic

Pad Thai Jay (vg) 11.80
    Stir fried Thai rice noodles in house spicy sauce served with
    Chinese chives, peanuts and bean sprouts

Pad Thai Lai Sen Jay (vg) 12.20
    Stir fried yellow tofu and house spicy sauce served with Chinese
    chives, peanuts and bean sprouts

Lad Na Jay (v) 11.80
    Thick rice noodles tossed with assorted mushrooms
    And Chinese kale

Pad Gruey Tiew Jay (vg) 11.50
    Stir fried thick rice noodle with onion, capsicum and black bean sauce

Kow Krong 4.50
    Organic thai jasmine brown rice

Kow Pad Kai 4.00
    Egg fried rice

Kow Niew 3.50
    Sticky rice

Kow Hom Ma Li (vg) 2.50
    Steamed Thai jasmine rice

Mango Tree looks good, must give it a try if ever feeling flush.

Call me a stick-in-the-mud but I think I might give the very famous Lady Boy event a miss though

August 2009
    Exclusive offer for “Meat Free Monday”
    tibits is supporting Sir Paul McCartney in his ‘Meat Free Monday’ campaign! Switching to a vegetarian diet just once a week will improve your wellbeing and reduce your carbon footprint.

And to help you along the way tibits is offering you 2for1 at the food boat every Monday for the month of August 2009.

Enjoy food that loves you back at tibits. Choose from a fantastic selection of delicious meat-free dishes, created from wholesome, seasonal and locally sourced ingredients. Guaranteed to tempt even the most seasoned meat-eater and with so much variety, you can get your five-a-day in one meal at tibits.

Food is priced by weight so you are in complete control of what you eat, how much you eat and how much you pay. An average lunch plate costs you between £6 and £9, take away approximately £5.

Click here to activate your voucher!

We are looking forward to welcoming you to tibits soon!

tibits Restaurant Bar Food To Go, 12-14 Heddon Street, London W1B
    4DA
    As harpy said elsewhere the Westfield branch has now closed down.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

shame, mind you I did find it a bit pricey
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

*cough*

Hello all

I originally posted this on a different thread, however Marrers kindly suggested I try here instead as it's a more popular thread.

I'll be stopping near Euston Station in a few weeks time, or on my hols, and wanted to grab something nice to eat in the area. I will have some luggage with me so won't want to track too far. I was looking for recommendations?

Many thanks

Moo

Hi Moo,

The nearest places would undoubtedly be one of the Indian vegetarian restaurants on Drummond Street, just to the west of Euston station. There are a few of them - my favourite is probably Chutney's.

Or if you're up for going a little bit further, there's a branch of Sagar (Indian again) on Percy Street which is (almost?) next door to a vegan Chinese buffet (I think this one is the best of the Chinese buffets - apart from Mr Man in Edgware).

Hope that helps...

Hello Moo I liked Chutney's when I went there the other week, and alisont speaks highly of a non-Indian veggie that's also in Drummond St - Greens and Beans. That discussion is a bit further up this thread I think.
    Last edited by harpy; Aug 14th, 2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: correct name of Greens and Beans

Quote robb View Post
    Or if you're up for going a little bit further, there's a branch of Sagar (Indian again) on Percy Street which is (almost?) next door to a vegan Chinese buffet
    Not quite next door. Between the 2 is Camerinos, where a few years ago I had probably best italian food i've had. They don't officially cater for vegans, but were able to cook me 4 decent courses.

I've been going to Mr Man since it was called Chai 5 years ago, as it was the only vegan restaurant quite local for me..

The food is good but what do you expect for £5.00 all you can eat buffet,- its a all a bit overcooked and oily for me , but still quite healthy (and good value for money).
    Saying that they do a la carte in the evening and thats much better
    I reccomend it..and the staff and owners are really friendly and its all vegan!!!

I went to Ravi Shanker the other day and I thought the food and service was good compared to Chutneys where I've been to a few times and the food wasn't so good and the service was very slow,

Has anybody been to the Routemaster?...I'm looking forward to going there this weekend after the demo,

Hello all

Many thanks for your replies. So much choice there Chinese, Indian and Italian. I think I like the sound of Chutneys or Ravi Shanker. Marrers also suggested Planet Organic, but I think I will save this one for another day, as Chutneys seems a little closer looking at google maps. Although I was looking forward to grabbing a bottle of vegan wine from there to take with me on the train.

Greens and Beans also sounds like a nice place. A friend recently gave me a voucher for a free smoothie there - I might save that for my journey back - We will be on the sleeper train from Scotland, so Greens and Beans sounds like a good place to stop for breakfast.

Thanks everyone for your advice . It seems I need to be taking more trips in to London to try out some of these places.

Moo

Has anybody been to Dragonfly? - raw vegan cafe in Highgate- I see it was left out of the poll,- i'd recommend it,

Quote Sunkist View Post
    Has anybody been to Dragonfly? - raw vegan cafe in Highgate- I see it was left out of the poll,- i'd reccomend it,
    I have been - quite pricy but it is very nice, and the garden is a lovely place to read a book and eat a tasty raw meal. It wasn't the most delicious vegan or even raw food I have had, but there were lots of things on the menu I wanted to try and the dessert was nice (but again not the best). I would go more often but for the price really.

Quote Sunkist View Post
    I've been going to Mr Man since it was called Chai 5 years ago, as it was the only vegan restaurant quite local for me..

The food is good but what do you expect for £5.00 all you can eat buffet,- its a all a bit overcooked and oily for me , but still quite healthy (and good value for money).
    Saying that they do a la carte in the evening and thats much better
    I reccomend it..and the staff and owners are really friendly and its all vegan!!!

I went to Ravi Shanker the other day and I thought the food and service was good compared to Chutneys where I've been to a few times and the food wasn't so good and the service was very slow,

Has anybody been to the Routemaster?...I'm looking forward to going there this weekend after the demo,
    Routemaster is really cool! I would definitely recommend it.

it is indeed and very yummy

Quote Sunkist View Post
    Has anybody been to Dragonfly? - raw vegan cafe in Highgate- I see it was left out of the poll,- i'd recommend it,
    Please post any suggestions for places to be included in the poll in the poll thread! Thanks!
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Stu

Quote Butterfly View Post
    Routemaster is really cool! I would definitely recommend it.
    Yup. I went there today and had a yummy burger and a fruity cheesecake.

BlackCats

^ What a positive article.

leave liverpool street via bishopsgate entrance, if you came up the escalater then cross over the street and turn left, if you came up the stairs on the other side of the road turn right.
    Turn right on Brushfield St
    Left on Commercial street
    Right on Hanbury Street and then go into the carpark on the left and Rootmaster is in there.

Stu

Yeah, or go onto Hanbury Street from Brick Lane, then right into the car park.

It is kind of hidden--I lived just a block or two from Routemaster for several months before I discovered it (I actually had to use my iphone to locate it by GPS as I didn't realize it was in a car park and kept walking by ).
    (Aw, now I'm feeling nostalgic for my old neighborhood.)

According to the manager of Red Veg in Brighton the London branch of Red Veg will be closing down soon.
    Apparently the premises have been compulsorily purchased and they are not sure whether they will be able to afford to relocate.

BlackCats

Quote Marrers View Post
    According to the manager of Red Veg in Brighton the London branch of Red Veg will be closing down soon.

helen105281

Nooooo

I thought it had already gone?!

It is a sad, sad thing

helen105281

Quote Troutina View Post
    I thought it had already gone?!
    We ate there on Saturday.

Oh noes. Where will I get nommy mushroom burgers before going to gigs at the borderline now.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

I must go before it actually closes

If anyone finds out when their last day of trading is please post here as it would be good to go and say "bye" and have a big feast.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

yes indeed, definately a good idea

Very sad I hope it wont shut before Im in London at the end of the month. Would like to visit before It closes.

I've heard that Red Veg will be closing on 1st December.

Also just to let people know that Archway tube station is closing from 1st November until 27th May 2010 for refurbishment - which will make getting to Peking Palace a bit of a hassle.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I've heard that Red Veg will be closing on 1st December.
    So who's up for a Red Veg feast on the weekend before (28th or 29th) followed by Glasshouse drinkies?

Buddha Belly

Yes

what they said the other day was that they will know on the 1st and then they're hoping to move round the corner.
    there is a london overground station quite handy for archway too and tuffnel park and holloway rd aren't too bad for it so thankfully it's not the end of the vegan world in London

RebeccaDye

Also just to let people know that Archway tube station is closing from 1st November until 27th May 2010 for refurbishment - which will make getting to Peking Palace a bit of a hassle.
    This is the last I heard Marrers which would be miles better!

that's good to know, means keeping PP for Fridays and Saturday or earlier in the evening during the week.

NEW Simply Vegan French bistro style gourmet vegan restaurant
    at 225 Kentish Town Road NW5 2JU.

(Above Itta pizza, opposite Earth Natural Wholefoods supermarket which is open till 7pm and Phoenicia Lebanese deli-cafe, so do your shopping first).

Tel: 020-7267 5622

Open: Mon-Thu 12.00-14.30;
    Fri-Sat 12.00-14.30, 18.00-21.30;
    Sun 12.00-16.00; subject to change.

Opened 31 October 2009.

A proper restaurant with very reasonable prices just north of Camden.

Main courses around £7. Fantastic sinful desserts.

Lots of gluten-free dishes.

See website for menu http://www.simplyvegan.co.uk

The French vegan owner has been in the restaurant trade for 15 years, including Michelin star restaurants, and was involved in setting up Heather Mills' new restaurant in Hove.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan