Thread: Don't trick meat-eaters into eating our food!

Default Don't trick meat-eaters into eating our food!

So here is the situation. My family is extremely open-minded about my vegan lifestyle and diet. They all eat meat, although they are not huge meat-eaters and they always make sure when I visit to have vegan food on hand.

The other day my sister and I were discussing food for my nephew's first birthday party and I said I would make vegan brownies. The conversation basically went like this:

Me: I'm going to make vegan brownies for his birthday.
    My sister: Why would you do that? People aren't going to want to eat them.
    Me: Well they can try them. We don't have to tell them it's vegan.
    My sister: We can't trick them! We have to tell them it's vegan food!
    Me: How is it tricking someone? It's not like they said "oh I'm abstaining from any food that doesn't have dairy or eggs in it". It's not the same as tricking a vegetarian into eating meat or a vegan into eating dairy. You don't tell meat-eaters... oh this is a salad... just to warn you it's vegan.
    My sister: It's still tricking them!

I was kind of hurt that she thinks it's tricking people to not explicitly state the brownies are vegan. It's not like I would try to hide it or not tell them, but I don't think we have to tell people before they even try it. What do you guys think of this? Has this happened to you before?

Default Re: Don't trick meat-eaters into eating our food!

I don't think you have to go out of your way to tell people something is "vegan" either.

If anyone comments that the brownies are nice, you don't even have to use the word "vegan" then. You could simply thank them for the compliment, tell them that you made them yourself, that they're egg and dairy free and ask if they'd like the recipe.

You're not tricking anyone. Your sister is just being a bit immature IMO.

I made the brownies from La Dolce Vegan for some non-vegans and they absolutely loved them (personally I think vegan cakes are often better than those containing eggs and dairy )

I didn't tell them, and I don't think you need to either. Your sister just seems to have some slightly odd ideas about vegan food!

sooo is it tricking them when you give them oreos?

I think thats silly. silly silly people.

I "trick" people too. but with cookies. peanut butter cookies...yum
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Yea, I don't think you need to tell them they are vegan. I do however let people know if I'm making something that is going to taste very different. An example is that I am making a vegan lasagna for my bf and I to eat at a graduation party. My mom is going to be preparing non-vegan food. I will probably point out that the lasagna is vegan, as I honestly don't want to waste a ton of food when people take it thinking its "normal" lasagna, and are then put off by the tofu ricotta and pinenut cream topping that looks, but does not taste the same.
    But, with desserts or food that "happens" to be vegan, I wouldn't feel the need to tell them.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

It would only be rude and misleading if you said the food was vegan and it wasn't The other way around is totally OK as EVERYONE eats vegan food from time to time or more likely daily... apples, oranges, peanuts, coffee, marinara sauce, french fries, a glass of water is all vegan, so should you put "warnings" out before serving these products too?..
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

How about try the brownies and if you like them I have placed the recipe sheets under the plate - feel free to take one...
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

How is it tricking them - the clue is in the word omnivore = they eat anything, including vegan food!!!
    Silent but deadly :p

Pearl

I think with cakes people are usually really impressed that you can actually make cakes without eggs!!!! I made lemon cake for my family and they thought it was wonderful and spoke for ages about how it rose and "bound together" without eggs. It was a whole hour of conversation just on my cake. Result I thought!

i took a vegan cake into work and didn't tell my colleagues that it was vegan. they said it was lovely! i don't see how there can be anything wrong with not mentioning the word 'vegan' before the food is eaten, i mean they're not going to be morally opposed to eating food that doesn't contain animal products are they?!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

The Null Void

While I agree with the posters above, I've never had a problem getting people to try vegan brownies or cake, even when they know in advance that it's vegan. Chocolate seems to transcend the vegan/non-vegan divide. They just don't really seem to care... and the chocolate cake listed in "Vegan World Fusion Cuisine" has gone over particularly well with my non-vegan circle of friends. It does seem a little strange that your sister is making a big deal about it, but... hey, sometimes you just can't change a person's mind.

Maybe your sister feels that it would be like serving up a veggie-burger to someone who is expecting a hamburger? Perhaps if your sister tried a brownie before the other people arrived, she might decide that there's no need to be explicit about it? Or she might even decide to tell people something like: "These are really good vegan brownies."

Yeah, I would bring your sister a glass of water or an apple or something, but before handing it to her, go, "Now watch out, I'm telling you now it's VEGAN! Just in case you don't know."

^ LoL Sniv

I have problems all the time with people trying my vegan stuff but typically only if it has tofu in it. Why does tofu have such a bad rep? i lurrvvvvee tofu!!

RubyDuby

ewww soy beans??? i'd much rather gnaw on some dead flesh.

Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

yum yum murder!!!

Nooooo, don't give the wretched omnivores our food or there may not be enough left for us

Seriously, I don't think containing animal products is any part of the definition of a brownie - it's just a type of cake. No one is going to get upset if you give them a brownie without animal products in it.

I think your sister's point would be valid regarding foods that look like omnivorous foods but taste different, like fake meat, as some people don't enjoy that kind of surprise. But that doesn't apply here.

the same thing happens to me with my family! when we have family dinners (aunts and uncles, cousins come over...) if i tell anyone something is vegan they are automatically turned off and do not want to try it... let alone look at it. what is it with people? it's so frustrating because they don't even try vegan food ... they just automatically think it will taste disguisting.

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    Yeah, I would bring your sister a glass of water or an apple or something, but before handing it to her, go, "Now watch out, I'm telling you now it's VEGAN! Just in case you don't know."
    Brilliant!
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

cxmnz

It's difficult getting it into people's heads that just becuase I won't touch 'their' food, that doesn't mean they can't eat 'mine'. In family situations I usually take some bits along, just in case there's nothing I can eat, and just out of courtesy so no one has to go to any particular trouble to accommodate me. When I do that I always make more than I need so that it can be shared (the way food should be), but there's some especially closed minded people who just won't try anything I make - even to the point of being embarrassingly childish about the situation.

The downside of that approach however is that things get cross-contaminated very easily, either by accident, plain ignorance, or selfishness. Either by simply mixing serving utensils up, or the obsession with covering everything with cheese. And when I get hungry I get grumpy!