Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Edinburgh

Question Vegan Edinburgh

Hi!

I am getting married in Edinburgh and was wondering if anyone knows of beauty salons, hairdressers etc that use vegan products?

Also, if anyone knows of a good place to host the reception I would be very glad to hear of it!

Thanks

Kirsty

Congrats Kirsty. Apart from The Cruelty Free Guide to Edinburgh which you probably already know about, I don't know, sorry. All the best.

Thumbs up Cruelty Free Scotland Fayre 2005

Cruelty-Free Scotland Fayre

Saturday 16th July 2005, 10.30 – 16.30

In the hall at the back of the Church of St. John the Evangelist, Princes Street, Edinburgh, EH2 4BJ. See here

The launch event for the newly-formed Scottish Animal Rights Coalition, the 1st Annual 'Cruelty-Free Scotland' aims to encourage the public to consider how their lifestyle impacts upon animals and the planet, from what they eat and wear to the products they purchase, the charities they support and their hobbies and interests.

Doors open to the public at 10:30am. Vegan refreshments available on the day and lots of information stalls on issues such as animals in sport and entertainment, factory farming, the fur trade, hunting, veganism and vivisection as well as Scottish companion animal and wildlife rescue centres and Scottish grassroots campaign groups.

Ph: 0131-225 6039 / 07984 006 884

Scottish Animal Rights Coalition

Default Re: Cruelty Free Scotland Fayre 2005

Thanks for the info - sounds interesting.

Yes, I will go to - I will be just back from holiday then, so this will work out fab!

littleTigercub

1st Annual CRUELTY FREE SCOTLAND Event a Great Success!

The first annual Cruelty Free Scotland (CFS) day took place at St John’s Church in Edinburgh on Saturday 16 July 2005. The event marked the official launch of the Scottish Animal Rights Coalition (SARC) and attracted hundreds of visitors. Feedback from both coalition members and the public was positive and encouraging, and paves the way for another similar event in 2006.

CFS received excellent coverage in the Big Issue in Scotland, which chose to concentrate on the anti-vivisection theme due to the presence on the day of Dr Jarrod Bailey, Science Director for Europeans for Medical Progress, who held an information stall at the event. Other stall-holders were the Captive Animals’ Protection Society, the Coalition to Abolish the Fur Trade, Greyhound Action Scotland, Vegetarians’ International Voice for Animals, the Vegetarian and Vegan Foundation, Waterside Action Group and of course Advocates, which sponsored the event. Grassroots campaign groups, wildlife and companion animal rescue organisations were also represented.

Several companies donated samples and testers for the vegan food tasting stall and the cruelty-free toiletry stall, and Henderson’s of Edinburgh provided catering throughout the day, which went down extremely well!

CFS’s free prize draw questionnaires produced very positive responses from all visitors, with more than two thirds of visitors saying they had learned something by attending and almost half saying they would change their lifestyle in some way to reflect what they had learned from attending the event. Some of the feedback included:

“I changed my point of view.”

“Excellent event – look forward to next one!”

“Great event – promoting a positive image is essential.”

“This is one of the best exhibitions I have ever been to. I only intended to stay 5 mins and I have been here over an hour and a half. I am now aware of so much more relating to unnecessary animal cruelty.”

Congratulations to the five prize winners, lucky recipients of two free meals at Henderson’s, two cruelty-free toiletry hampers and Jane Goodall books.

SARC wishes to thank everyone who helped out before, during and after the event, and is grateful to the undernoted companies for their kind donations:

Click HERE for details of the next Scottish ARC meeting.

Information stalls:

Advocates for Animals – www.advocatesforanimals.org

Coalition to Abolish the Fur Trade – www.caft.org.uk

Captive Animals’ Protection Society – www.captiveanimals.org

Europeans for Medical Progress – www.curedisease.net

Greyhound Action Scotland – www.greyhoundactionscotland.org.uk

Killhunting UK – www.killhunting.org.uk

Vegetarians’ International Voice for Animals – www.viva.org.uk

Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation – www.vegetarian.org.uk

Waterside Action Group – www.wag-ayrshire.org.uk

Catering:

Henderson’s - www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk

Food donations:

Booja Booja – www.boojabooja.com

Tofutti – website currently unavailable – www.tofutti.co.uk

Redwood Foods – www.redwoodfoods.co.uk

Cosmetics & Toiletry donations:

Honesty – www.honestycosmetics.co.uk

Daniel Field - www.danielfield.com

Astonish – www.astonishcleaners.co.uk

Yaoh - www.yaoh.co.uk

The Co-op – www.co-op.co.uk

Yay!!!

Can't wait for ours ours in Australia next month

woopeee

Cool Edinburgh Cruelty Free Christmas Fair 2005

The fair is still scheduled for November 26th.

Freemason's hall,
    George St,
    Edinburgh.

10.30-3 though more info to follow and confirm.

Default Re: Edinburgh Cruelty Free Crimbo Fayre 2005

Cruelty Free Christmas Fare
    (FreeMason Hall, 96 George Street, EDINBURGH)
    Sat 26th November, 11am to 4pm
    Entry - £1 for adults, under 16's free

Stalls with cruelty free info & gifts (Animal-free, Organic, Fair Trade), Cookery demonstations, Talks, Veggie Cafe (Hendersons), Complementary Therapies

BUAV, Animal Aid, Viva!, Hendersons.

Anyone know anymore??

Default Edinburgh

Holyrood Tavern is now doing vegan brakfasts on a Sunday from 1-5 and vegan burgers,spring rolls,chips etc on a Fri and Sat night from 6-10!
    Come along if you're in the area!
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...D285FA28078824

Default Re: greetings from scotland!

The Holyrood Tavern is now doing vegan snacks (Burgers,spring rolls,chips etc) on a Fri and Sat evening till about 10 and on a Sun afternoon between 1 and 5 you can get a great vegan breakfast,traditional or continental!The sundays usually a good one,mabye 30 or so diff people there over the course,most vegan!
    I think the weekend of the 12th we're gonna try and do more because there's a weekend music show on in the subway(just along the road) Sat and Sun so there should be a lot more folk about,bands from Germany,USA,England etc playing!Should turn out a good weekend!

Oh!
    http://www.myspace.com/vegan_kitchen
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Default Re: Vegan Edinburgh

I believe Aveda salon/hair products are vegan. Best bet is to find a hairdresser that uses Aveda products I guess.

Yesterday afternoon was a great success,we sold about 45 vegan breakfasts and numerous helpings of vegan cheesecake and hot chocolate!
    £115 pounds was raised for Allandale Animal Sanctuary!

If anyone is visiting Edinburgh, I recommend staying at The Greenhouse. Just look at the breakfast choice.

Another good afternoon yesterday at the Holyrood pub,we actually ran out of food which is a good sign i suppose!
    thanks to Tim Holehouse for his accoustic set and Project Serendipity
    Pauly, formerly of Shindig and now of Black Tax,erm,fame for doing his electronic project,ambient sounds

The Holyrood will be closed this weekend due to structural work!

Default Vegan/vegan-friendly restaurants in Edinburgh

I am going to Edinburgh in June for my brother's wedding and wondered if anyone could recommend any vegan restaurants there, or one where they serve good tasty vegan fare. I was born and grew up there, so I know the city and should know what you're talking about if you recommend a place! I know, for example, that there's a vegetarian/vegan Indian place on Clerk Street called the Kalpna, plus a superb veggie place called Henderson's down Hanover Street way. Any personal recommendations and any info at all would be very welcome. Cheers all!

Accross the road from thr Kalpna is a far,far better Indian called Ann Purna,they're South Indian and the food is delicious.The kalpna have also served my dishes with milk in them when it was meant to be vegan!
    Suzies diner over from 'The Pear Tree' pub is great for eating in comfy surroundins anytime of the day and just round the corner from that is a Sudanese place called Nile Valley that does some of the tastiest vegan options imaginable.Their Fuul masala is Mmmmmm!Down the raod from that on Causwayside there is a Jamacian place opened up last year and they cater well for vegans.In Tollcross there are 2 new African places opened up,both of whom do nice vegan options.Down on St Mary street is David Banns which is a pretty famous Vegetarian restaurant with vegan options but i find it expensive and he down plays the vegan side in my opinion.Round the corner from that is the Holyrood pub which does vegan burgers,chips,spring rolls etc on a Fri and Sat night and all day vegan breakfasts on a Sunday between 1 and 5.Full breakfast,scrambled tofu on toast or a continental breakfast and it's always a nice atmosphere........most folk that come in are vegan and just wanting to chill out for a few hours on a Sunday and eat some nice food!(i help with the cooking by the way,that was my plug for the place! )
    There are other places,numerous Falafal shops opened up which is a good thing but i'm talking mainly on the Southside.Gives a shout if you got any questions about any of the places i've mentioned!Enjoy...........

When I went to the Indian Cavalry Club I got a hot chocolate when I asked for an espresso coffee. And they swore blind it was an espresso when questioned! Bit of confusion there I think.
    What's the best place for a soya latte d'you reckon gogs, now that Starbucks is off my list?
    Thanks for all the suggestions BTW, I really appreciate them.

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Went to Susie's Diner in Edinburgh - sooooooooo good! Had the combination plate with felafel, hummus, tahini and various salads. Omni bf liked it too (he's great, he'll try anything!!!). Kind of worn, warm and comfy surroundings, great for relaxing in. God I miss Edinburgh Italy sucks (except at football, I guess )

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Just heard about The Forest cafe in Edinburgh selling vegan and vegetarian food, sounds interesting.....

http://www.theforest.org.uk/

Default Very nice reply (moved to Vegan Edinburgh)

I know this should maybe be in the UK/Edinburgh section but i just thought id show this nice reply from a Salsa bar in the town that had got in touch with me on another forum because i stayed in Edinburgh and wondered if i wanted to come along.I replied that if they had any vegan food i would consider and left it at that.I instantly got this reply!

"I'm the new owner and hadn't actually considered vegan options - although I had vegetarians catered for.

So I have been in touch with the Vegan Society and have checked our menu against the criteria - it seems we need to add some vegan foods pretty quick.

A of the things I'd have thought would be safe, probably aren't - for example, eggs used in bread production.

Anyway - here's a brief list
    Vegan food

We believe these foods to be suitable for vegans. However, it may be that in the production process (the supplier, not our kitchen!) the food may have been exposed to animal products or derivatives - we have no way of 100% verifying a complete lack of animal contact at supplier level.

For your teas and coffee - Soya milk is available.

Paella - vegetable paella
    Patatas Bravas - Fried potatoes served with homemade spicy tomato sauce
    Pan Con Tomate - Toasted bread with garlic, oil and fresh tomato
    Olivas
    Champiñones - Mushrooms cooked in garlic oil, parsley and butter
    Escalivada - Grilled tomatoes, aubergines, onions and piquillo peppers, served with extra virgin olive oil
    Garbanzos - Chickpeas marinated in garlic and lemon juice
    Ensalada de Judias - Marinated bean salad with peppers and red onion

Can you recommend anywhere that has a good vegan menu in Edinburgh? I'd be interested to see what they're serving.

J "

If the guys as keen as that then i deff will go along and it just goes to show the value of asking places to consider their menu!
    Last edited by flutterby; Jul 11th, 2007 at 09:47 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread

xaaronx

Default Re: Very nice reply

It's always awesome when you get a reply like that from a business, which is detailed and they seem very enthusiastic about selling vegan options too!

Here's the address of that Salsa bar!
    Sala Café Bar -60 Broughton Street, Edinburgh!

Most excellent. What a good response. I shall make sure I eat there next time I visit my sister. Nice one gogs67!

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Most excellent. What a good response. I shall make sure I eat there next time I visit my sister. Nice one gogs67!
    Just looking at the 'brief list' my mouths watering ,i'm sure all that would constitute a rather large meal!!!
    When i go down and sample it i'll see how it goes and get back to you all!

I’m just reviving this ancient thread to bring Edinburgh folk the bad news that the vegetarian Gujurati restaurant Ann Purna is to change hands at the end of June.

The owners are going to have a well-earned retirement. The restaurant will still exist under the name Ann Purna – presumably it has been sold as a business – but it’s impossible to predict how good it will be under the new management.

Meanwhile the son of the existing Ann Purna owners will try to set something up himself, but it may be elsewhere in the city, and may only be a take-away rather than a restaurant.

To Edinburghers or people visiting, try to get yourselves along to Ann Purna as soon as possible!

The other Indian vegetarian restaurant round the corner, Kalpna, has also undergone major changes recently. Along with its new sign and decor has come a new menu, on which main courses cost about £13 (compared with about £7 at Ann Purna), and there is a very narrow choice for vegans. So things are not looking up in Edinburgh, unfortunately.

Hmm I've not been there before .. might have to try some time soon
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Quote Golebnik View Post
    I’m just reviving this ancient thread to bring Edinburgh folk the bad news that the vegetarian Gujurati restaurant Ann Purna is to change hands at the end of June.

The owners are going to have a well-earned retirement. The restaurant will still exist under the name Ann Purna – presumably it has been sold as a business – but it’s impossible to predict how good it will be under the new management.

Meanwhile the son of the existing Ann Purna owners will try to set something up himself, but it may be elsewhere in the city, and may only be a take-away rather than a restaurant.

To Edinburghers or people visiting, try to get yourselves along to Ann Purna as soon as possible!

The other Indian vegetarian restaurant round the corner, Kalpna, has also undergone major changes recently. Along with its new sign and decor has come a new menu, on which main courses cost about £13 (compared with about £7 at Ann Purna), and there is a very narrow choice for vegans. So things are not looking up in Edinburgh, unfortunately.
    I've been mentioning this on and off since last year!
    http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...n+purna&page=2

It has been sold as a business but part of the whole eating experience there is the personal touch from Eric and his lovely wife and dodgy son ( no offence m8 if yer reading ). The menu has to stay the same for a certain time period which i find a tad unsettling as it kinda implies the new owners want to change it straight away, ah well, we'll see!!
    As for the Kalpna it's never been a great vegan place in the past. The last time i ate there (admittedly about 12 years ago) i got the vegan thali and there were dishes with milk in them, we'd had a pretty crap meal there before so i've just never been back.

If I'm going out it'd usually just be to Hendersons tbh .. better as they are actually a veggie/vegan place .. but most places are ok ...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Quote gogs67 View Post
    I've been mentioning this on and off since last year!
    http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...n+purna&page=2

It has been sold as a business but part of the whole eating experience there is the personal touch from Eric and his lovely wife and dodgy son ( no offence m8 if yer reading ). The menu has to stay the same for a certain time period which i find a tad unsettling as it kinda implies the new owners want to change it straight away, ah well, we'll see!!
    As for the Kalpna it's never been a great vegan place in the past. The last time i ate there (admittedly about 12 years ago) i got the vegan thali and there were dishes with milk in them, we'd had a pretty crap meal there before so i've just never been back.
    Oops, I should have looked up other threads before writing my post. Thanks very much for the info, and now I needn’t regret not having made it to Kalpna in the past.

Things are not looking good on the Indian vegan front in Edinburgh, though. Also perhaps the imminent change of ownership explains why Ann Purna was omitted from the recent edition of The List’s eating and drinking guide. I thought it very odd that it had been omitted, since it is (or was) such an institution.

The Vegan Edinburgh thread seems a good place to post this

I've just got back from a meal at David Banns in Edinburgh and it was great! Though as it was my first ever visit to a veggie or vegan restaurant, I don't have anything against which to compare it.

I had a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, homemade hummous with tomato chutney and homemade bread as a starter (it was big enough to be a main course and was soooo delicious) and then spicy udon noodles with smoked homemade tofu for the main. Couldn't fit in any dessert!

The restaurant was nicely decorated and the staff were really friendly. Recommended!

In the Ann purna last night for a wedding!
    The end of an era sadly, only 8 days to go!

Met the new owners though and he seemed a nice guy, said they were keeping on the same chefs and the menu was stying the same. Fingers crossed!

Default Ann Purna

Thanks for the update about Ann Purna. So maybe we won’t notice any real difference under the new owners? I’m going to try to fit in a final visit this weekend anyhow.

What about Kalpna, over the road from Ann Purna? Has anybody tried it since its recent facelift? (Or does anyone want to try it?) I see they offer an all-you-can-eat lunchtime buffet for £7 …

Default Ann Purna

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Met the new owners though and he seemed a nice guy, said they were keeping on the same chefs and the menu was stying the same. Fingers crossed!
    I managed to make it there at the weekend, for the final time under the ‘old management’. We also met the new owner. The current owner (the son of the family) explained that there will be a period of gentle transition, during which he will be working with the new owner. Gradually the new owner will begin to make his mark on the restaurant, though. In October it will close for a short period for renovation, and after that, well, who knows? Perhaps the menu will change and the prices go up … we shall see …

Default Vegan Edinburgh

Does anybody have a restaurant, cafe or B&B/hotel to recommenb please?

Thanks
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 30th, 2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

cxmnz

Default Re: Edinburgh

I'm going there some time soon, once I get some time off work!

Gonna be staying here:
    http://www.greenhouse-edinburgh.com/index.html

The breakfast sounds amazing!

We'll be able to recommend stuff to you in 19 months - we'll be living there, with any luck!

Lucky you going to Edinburgh, my native city... and great for vegans!!!

My faves are Susie's Diner, David Bann's (though I haven't been there for a bit), Kalpna, Henderson's and the awe-inspiring Baked Potato Shop in Cockburn Street where I challenge anyone to feel hungry afterwards

Try this link, there are many, many more!!!

Have fun

Oh, and at the Italian restaurant La Favorita in Leith Walk, they do a pretty special strawberry risotto.. the menu mentions parmesan but you can ask the chef to omit it

Mrs vegcurry is up there at the moment and is really enjoying herself there. Hopefully she'll be back with lots of good places to eat.

Quote fiamma View Post

David Bann's
    SO GOOD!!!

Very posh, romantic restaurant with gourmet veggie and vegan food.
    Everything's labelled (including wine) and the service is fantastic.
    Fairly pricey but very fair for the quality of the meal.

What's the pastie shop called? The one that makes incredible sweet pasties aswell (and far better than the savoury vegan pasties!)
    Find it, it's amazing!!

I really liked Edinburgh

We did not like David Bann's at all. The food was overpriced and in our opinion not as good as what we do at home on an lazy weekday.
    We liked The Engine Shed and Annapurnas much more.
    We also highly recommend The Greenhouse.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

We were there a few years ago so our opinions are dated.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote Troutina View Post
    What's the pastie shop called? The one that makes incredible sweet pasties aswell (and far better than the savoury vegan pasties!)
    Find it, it's amazing!!
    Can't remember it's name, but it's on The Bridges. The sweet pasties are a guilty treat for us when we're in Edinburgh!

We haven't tried David Bann's (too pricy for us!) We usually eat at Susie's Diner, which is quite cheap, but often not as hot as I'd like, or Henderson's, which is much more expensive and sometimes doesn't have much vegan stuff left. There's always a carry out of pasties etc. to eat in Princes Street Gardens if the weather's nice, of course (yes, it sometimes is!)

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    We'll be able to recommend stuff to you in 19 months - we'll be living there, with any luck!
    That's exciting! What's the story? It's a nice place to live!

Mrs vegcurry raved about David Banns...makes me think I should have gone oop north with her now.

I went to David Banns last Summer and really liked it too. Nice atmosphere. Good to know there are other options for next time though

The pie shop is called Piemaker, I think, on South Bridge...

But don't quote me on that. I've heard good things about Annpurna's too.

littlemiss

I love david banns! we're travelling up there especially to eat there for an anniversary. It will be the 4th time I've been there. It is expensive but all the food is beautiful and you can see into the kitchen. We will budget the rest of the short break so hoping to find some cheap places to eat.
    Can anyone recommend somewhere for breakfast?

I loved Edinburgh -went lasy year and loved the city.

My travelodge was right by David Banns - the food/service is fab there yes expensive but food was great (but need more vegan puds there) I ate there twice and spent more than my hotel bill

The baked potato shop was cheap and good food there but never seen such large portions!

I loved the Engine shed - great tofu and bread and good setting for a good walk after lunch. Loved their ethics too - need something like that at the college I work at.

Hendersons - just went in the shop there for salad and engine shed products before my train home.

Id love to go again one day