Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Edinburgh

Default Re: Vegan Edinburgh

Hey guys Im a new member here! Stay in Edinburgh, alright place for vegans but doesnt compare to other cities.

I like Hendersons -upstairs in nice for a family/romantic meal and downstairs is perfect if you skint/cant be bothered getting dressed up!

David Banns has fantastic food thats a little expensive. I sometimes feel a bit out of place there though, it can be pretencious at times, but the service is fab!

The Baked Potato shop is crazy good, we go there at least once a week for a serving of food big enough to feed 10 people!

The Engine Shed is a fab place, specially in the summer... sitting at the wee windows reading a book and eating the chocolate cake! If anyone goes that hasnt been before, pick up some tofu coz its great! its a non profit organisation too so all good!

Never been to the forest cafe yet tho, whats that like??
    Someone mentioned PIEMAKER!!!! Manage to stagger there drunk on my way home some weekends. Pretty good, but I swear thats why I'm gaining weight!!

Not been to the forest cafe yet, what that place like for some grub? mmmm... getting hungry here!

I see that both Kalpna and Ann Purna are now offering lunchtime buffets. The Ann Purna one is £6.95, and I think the Kalpna one is not much more expensive. I haven’t had the chance to try either of them yet. Has anyone here tried one or other of them? Any opinions/reviews? Maybe we should arrange a Vegan Forum Edinburgh trip!

Oooh I would love that!!! I'd love to go and experience vegan Edinburgh! All my friends in Edinburgh arent vegan, so whenever I go across there I dont get a chance to go to all these lovely places!

Let’s see whether any other Edinburgh (or other Central Belt-ish) people reply. Otherwise it’ll just be SnowyWhite, me and Mrs Golebnik (if she’s free), and I know of one other I could probably invite.

I’d love to try the buffet at Ann Purna; I haven’t been there since the change of management really took hold, so I do hope it hasn’t gone downhill.

There's a good bunch of us here that would probably love to go through too. We can see what happens!

I might be interested ..
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

As a Central Belt-ish person, I think I might like to come along too... I also know a few other Edinburgh vegans who I don't think are on this forum...

oh, id go 2 that, if im not too skint! Im from edinburgh and apart from my boyfriend I dont really know any other vegans here!

Someone mentioned vegan breakfasts? Im having a problem finding good breakfasts in Ed, the Engine Shed do vegan scones which are pretty good. Thought Hendersons would have something good but i went in and asked n they only had toast, porridge or fruit suitable for vegans! good home made jam though.

Lee

Shall we all try to arrange a date, maybe in late March or early April, to go to Ann Purna for a buffet lunch? How about Saturday, 28 March, say? We can organise the exact details nearer the time. There is a ‘Vegans of Edinburgh’ group on Facebook, so maybe everyone should join that, and we could arrange the lunch on there. It might be too chaotic to try and arrange it via this forum.

Opinions, folks?

I'd rather not have to make a facebook account ...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Quote Fungus View Post
    I'd rather not have to make a facebook account ...
    Fair enough, but judging by the fact that there hasn’t exactly been a flood of messages here since I suggested a date five days ago, somehow I get the idea that this lunch thing isn’t going to happen!

OK, if other people are going, I think Saturday 28th March is OK for me...

I’ve now booked myself up for something else on 28 March. There hasn’t been much of a response to my original suggestion, anyhow.

Despite the reservations of some, I think it may be better to try to arrange something via the ‘Vegans of Edinburgh’ group on Facebook. I don’t much care for Facebook myself, but when it comes to trying to organise an event among disparate people, it has its uses.

If anyone has any better suggestions, please post them here!

I've just been in Edinburgh for a few days and would endorse the earlier recommendation of the Greenhouse B&B for anyone that's visiting. The veggie couple that run it are really nice and the rooms (in a Victorian or Edwardian house with period-type furniture) are comfortable and well-equipped. It may not be the cheapest place to stay in Edinburgh but you could probably eat one of their vegan cooked breakfasts and manage without eating for the rest of the day

Unfortunately for our waistlines we didn't follow that advice! We had fun meals in Henderson's bistro and salad table and in Kalpna. I also enjoyed lunch in Bann's although the place seemed a bit kind of formal compared with how I remember it (think it's moved premises since the last time I was there so maybe they changed the formula at the same time?).

I don't think I ever knew the Engine Shed was a veggie place. My mum's taken me there a few times. Now I've checked the site I think I'm gonna go there with my friend this Saturday and try out the vegan dish of the day!

Default Henderson - Edinburgh

Visited Hendersons Restaurant today at breakfast time and was very disappointed when I was told the only vegan breakfast option was 'just fruit'
    After I kinda hummed and hawwed for a sec as I was hoping for something more substantial, I was told the rolls were vegan, but even then I had to ask if there was anything to put on them (soya marg was the only option)
    I didn't even know you could get a non dairy milk for coffee or tea until I went into the shop afterwards.

I've been to Hendersons Bistro a couple of times before and quite enjoyed the vegan choices, but that seems really poor for breakfast time.
    Plus I'm a little annoyed I wasn't even told they do soya milk etc as there were no menus on the tables or on the wall.

I just wondered if anyone else knew of different options I wasn't told about or if there's somewhere better to go for breakfast in town?

Thanks
    'I love Dandelion tea'

Default Re: Henderson - Edinburgh

I've never really thought about 'eating out' at breakfast time, lol, i couldnae really tell you if there is anywhere decent at that time of the day!!!
    Is it a cooked breakfast you are looking for?
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Well I don't usually eat out at that time I must admit, but I was in town very early for an appointment and had missed breakfast! I just wondered in case there was ever another time.
    I wasn't even looking for anything fancy (or even a full cooked although I wouldn't say no) I assumed I would maybe get a veggie roll on sausage or maybe cereal with soya milk or even a slice of toast.
    Fruit or a plain roll are a bit uninspired
    'I love Dandelion tea'

I was just in Edinburgh for the festival and loved the city. One place that was nice to hang out in was the Forest cafe on Bristo Place. Not sure if they specifically do breakfast but a website I saw says they open at 10am and on Sunday do a vegan brunch 12-2pm. I only went for a snack in the afternoon so I couldn't say for sure.
    Have you ever tried David Bann restaurant for a fancy meal? It was so yummy, especially the pudding!

Quote Jennie View Post
    I was just in Edinburgh for the festival and loved the city. One place that was nice to hang out in was the Forest cafe on Bristo Place. Not sure if they specifically do breakfast but a website I saw says they open at 10am and on Sunday do a vegan brunch 12-2pm. I only went for a snack in the afternoon so I couldn't say for sure.
    Have you ever tried David Bann restaurant for a fancy meal? It was so yummy, especially the pudding!
    We hit David Bann again this year whilst at the festival and I must say the vegan options for main course were better than two years ago, so they're improving.

They only seemed to have one vegan dessert which was rasperry jelly, so we went to the potato shop and had a piece of their wonderful cake!

Oh yes, in answer to the original post there's a pie shop on South Bridge (near C venue 43 - Adam Building in Chambers Street) which does a number of vegan pies. They have a couple of pasty type affairs and a sausage roll if I remember rightly, and do some lush apple (and blackberry or cherry) pies which are also vegan (everything with two asterisks on the menu!). Can;t remember the name, but it's almost or is next door to Forbidden Planet.

Of course, you can always go into BHS and have a five item breakfast - hash browns, potato scone, beans, tomato, fried bread and toast... if that's what you fancy!

MVL

I had the raspberry jelly! When I initially saw it I was a bit dubious, sounded very boring, but it was the best bit of the meal for me! It was a light jelly with fresh raspberries in sitting on a lemon cake with syrup and topped with some lovely frozen coconut creamy stuff. Altogether it was heaven!
    The potato shop was good too.

Oh yes, and the Forest Cafe was very cool.. loved it in there, although the toilets left a lot to de desired. Yuk!

We also ate in WannaBurger one day - they do a grilled Mushroom burger - just a mushroom in a roll, with all the accompaniments of course - it was very nice too.

Looked and Black Bo but didn't go in - didn't have time!

Went to the Mai Thai, down one of the little lanes off the High Street - Thai food is always good as they simply don't do dairy, just need to avoid certain noodles. One of the dishes came with what looked like a swirl of cream in the sauce, but we discovered it was coconut milk, so all was well.

Oh yes, also went to Kalpna and had a vegan thali - although the guy waiting seemed to think he was the prince of somewhere or other - didn't smile. The missus takes that as a personal attack and deliberately looks at people and smiles at them when they're like that and eventually she gets a response!

Where else did you find to eat vegan in Edinburgh.. always after new places!

We were up for the first week... saw some cracking stuff. 28 shows over the six days. Phew!
    Best show we saw was Morecambe, but of the 28 only two were particularly poor.

that's really surprising- I went to edinburgh at the end of july and had a vegan porridge from hendersons. ate it in the park- super yum! oh and hello vegan forum

oh wait i went to the bistro- is that a different place?

Hello, fellow falafel-addict - yes, Henderson's do have a separate bistro that's round the corner from the main restaurant, accessed from a side street if I remember correctly?

I got offers from universities at Edinburgh and other places, likely start my Master study from next year, I have not decide where to go yet, but good to know more the vegan life somewhere else...
    We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

next month i have to stay at the premier inn edinburgh east, anyone know anywhere nearby thats still open? post code is eh8 7ng

There's not really anything on that side of town - I'd suggest eating somewhere central and stocking up on pasties, biscuits etc at Real Foods or Jordan Valley health food shops for the hotel room.

I'm going to move to Edinburgh this summer. Any advice? Things I should know about life in town? Like neighborhoods I should avoid at night? Cheapest supermarkets? Stuff like that

Hi Loss,

Edinburgh is a wonderful place to live – you’ll love it. There doesn’t seem to be any kind of vegan community here, although I’m sure there are plenty of vegans. The cheapest supermarket is Lidl, and the best wholefood shop is Real Foods, which has two branches. I don’t think there are really any areas which have to be avoided, but if you can live in one of the districts nearest to the city centre, especially on the south side, you should be fine.

Also it’s a short journey from Edinburgh to Glasgow, which is a great city for vegans, and which seems to have more of a ‘community’.

What brings you to Edinburgh? Do you know where you’ll be living yet?

Woo, I'm moving to Edinburgh in June!

We should totally have a meet-up.

Thanks Golebnik! I'm moving up there for the European Voluntary Service. Don't know where I'll be living yet, but quite close to the city centre I suppose.
    I look forward to trying all those mythical entities of legends - such as Sheese and Cheezly (we don't get those here in Italy!) Can you find them in supermarkets? Or in wholefood shops only?

And I'm always up for meet-ups, despite being painfully shy. Just promise you'll speak slowly to the awkward foreigner

you can only find sheese and most cheezly in health food shops (holland & barrett, Real foods etc). You can find cheddar cheezly in some supermarkets (some larger waitrose and tesco branches - only a few!).

Has anyone tried Black Bo's lately? Was thinking of going on a forthcoming trip to Edinburgh but have read rather mixed reports.

I’ve lived in Edinburgh nearly three years, and have never even found, let alone tried, Black Bo’s! I always forget that it even exists. I must make a mental note to find it and at least have a look in the window …

^ It's just off the High Street, a little down from the Tron in a street on the right hand side... At least it used to be, if it hasn't moved...

Quote harpy View Post
    Has anyone tried Black Bo's lately? Was thinking of going on a forthcoming trip to Edinburgh but have read rather mixed reports.
    I went to Edinburgh last Nov and tried out Black Bo's. I thought my main was OK, not amazing but decent. My dessert was really wonderful (though I was disappointed they only had 1 vegan dessert option).

Thank you everyone - I shall have to try and keep some room for dessert then mariana (and hope that they don't run out). It looks as if we're going so I'll report back.

I think it's where you said fiamma - Blackfriars Street - will this work? http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-...ed=0CAcQnwIwAA

Have got to admit I chickened out (is that chickenist?) of Black Bo's as I was a bit worried about giving the omnivorous relative we were treating a non-treat. We went to David Bann instead, which was fine although the relative pointed out that virtually everything we had came in a stack

We also managed to fit in Henderson's Bistro, Kalpna and Ann Purna, plus Stereo in Glasgow, so the trip hasn't done anything for my waist measurement

The Chocolate Tree in Bruntsfield does really lovely vegan cake. I went on Wednesday and had the rare dilemma of having to choose between two very rich chocolate cakes - hazelnut or berries and nut. I had the latter, very rich and dense and not very sweet, which is how I like it. Very reasonable too at £2.80 eat-in. They also do chocolate and mark what is vegan.

I find Hendersons over-rated and rarely go. I have been to David Bann's once and wasn't impressed either - it wasn't bad, just not much vegan choice and the staff kept having to check things were vegan.

I miss Susies. I like the Forrest. And I love the Baked Tattie Shop despite not liking baked potatoes! They do nice rolls and chocolate cakes, and are very reasonable. You can't really sit in, it's tiny!

Last edited by jimmeh; Apr 5th, 2012 at 01:54 PM.

Quote AnneCE View Post
    The Chocolate Tree in Bruntsfield does really lovely vegan cake. I went on Wednesday and had the rare dilemma of having to choose between two very rich chocolate cakes - hazelnut or berries and nut. I had the latter, very rich and dense and not very sweet, which is how I like it. Very reasonable too at £2.80 eat-in. They also do chocolate and mark what is vegan.

I find Hendersons over-rated and rarely go. I have been to David Bann's once and wasn't impressed either - it wasn't bad, just not much vegan choice and the staff kept having to check things were vegan.

I miss Susies. I like the Forrest. And I love the Baked Tattie Shop despite not liking baked potatoes! They do nice rolls and chocolate cakes, and are very reasonable. You can't really sit in, it's tiny!

I went to the Baked Potato shop the other days, had a potato with vegan haggis and loved it. Not sure what was in it (barley?) but it was yummy!
    I was also glad to discover that the vegan doughnuts from Scotsmid are not just a legend

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Oh, the the haggis samosas in the Baked Tattie shop are to die for.
    That sounds like the last word in fusion! Will get OH to try them because he quite often goes up there for work.

I do like Henderson's as well; I find the salad table bit in particular is a terrific nostalgia trip! Banns is OK but I feel as if I need to be on my best behaviour in there because it looks so posh now.

A thumbs up for The Forest Cafe http://forestcafe.tumblr.com/tagged/cafe (menu)

After an initial struggle to decipher the cryptic menu, I had the most amazing pitta and hummous followed by chocolate and beetroot cake. Very delish. Seemingly in the heart of student-ville, so expect chipped mugs, discarded flyers and un-wiped tables but it all adds to the charm. Really friendly staff (who are apparently all volunteers)

I'm in Stirling, will be in Edinburgh for a bit on Wednesday so may try to check some of these places out.
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it

I actually quite likes Black Bo's, went there for a birthday meal not long back. Was a bit odd that they had to go next door to get drinks, and strange noises came out of the kitchen when I walked past. Don't let that put you off!

We really loved Hendersons too (all three parts of it) and went at least once a day. We have a habit of finding spots we keep revisiting though - in Paris we went to Maoz Falafel three out of the four nights we were there! Their vegan haggis is pretty awesome. Their slices in particular are amazing and I have yet to recreate them as well.

I was excited about the Baked Potato Company, especially because it was only two minutes from where we were staying but I swear it was never ever open in all of the five days we walked past.

I think you just need a bit of research to find all the good restaurants, it doesn't take long to weed out the badly recieved ones.

Might try Kalpna tomorrow. I have yet to get round to sampling their legendary vegan thali

Did you go jimmeh? The food is usually excellent.
    “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

Hi guys I'm going to Edinburgh on Saturday with frends to visit a friend, the friend I'm visiting wants to eat at a place called Channings has anyone been before? I checked the online menu and they seem to at least have a vegetarian option that might be customisable I'm just wondering how willing they'd be to do that (she wants to get the 2 courses for £12 menu so I think choice will be limited) I will probably have to call them right? I normally avoid these kinds of fancy restaurants which have little for vegans but it's pretty much her choice.

Big thumbs up for the Filmhouse Cinema cafe bar http://www.filmhousecinema.com/cafe-bar/ where I had dinner on Thursday night.

Sweet potato and coconut soup (the soup is always vegan) with a bread roll and vegan 'butter'. Next I had deep fried falafels (chickpea, garlic, chilli and cumin) with a sweet chilli dip and a side salad. Also a glass of vegan red wine.

There was a page in the menu of vegan food, and other stuff that could be made vegan on request (so it took me a long time to decide!). It's got a lovely atmosphere and the staff were so friendly and helpful - the lady who served me took ages going through the menu with me and then when she went to the kitchen to get my soup, another two members of staff asked (separately) if I was ok.

Plenty of seating (tables/chairs plus a 'breakfast bar' run at the back of the room with bar stools) and very relaxed with couples, groups and singles, some reading, some on laptops, some just chatting. Really nice place