Thread: Jelly Filled Donuts

Default Jelly Filled Donuts

This is my first time making donuts, and they came out perfectly. This recipe is really easy to follow and the end result is delicious!

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 cup warm soymilk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    • 1/3 cup water
    • 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
    • 3/4 cup white sugar
    • 4 1/2 cups bread flour
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
    • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
    • 3/4 cup any flavor fruit jam
    • 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
    DIRECTIONS

1. In a large pan add the soymilk, water, melted margarine, sugar, flour, salt, nutmeg, and yeast and knead into a dough.
    2. Turn dough out onto a floured board and let rest for ten minutes.
    3. Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. With floured cookie cutter, cut into 2 1/2 inch rounds. (I used a large wine glass instead of a cookie cutter)
    4. Place 1/2 teaspoon jam or jelly in center of half of the rounds. Moisten edges with cold water; top with the remaining rounds, pinch edges together firmly. Place sealed doughnuts on an greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled in a warm place, about 45 minutes.

5. Heat oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Fry one layer of doughnuts at a time. Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oil, being careful not to poke doughnuts. Drain onto paper towels.

(Recipe modified from Allrecipes)
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Default Re: Jelly Filled Donuts

OMG! Thanks so much for posting this. I can't wait to try them. I've been obsessing about jelly donuts for ages.

No problem.
    Tell me how they turn out.
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Looks tasty!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Those look delicious! I want some...but I don't have a deep fryer. I think it's great you used wine glasses instead of cookie cutters--very inventive. I used to always use a wine bottle for a rolling pin because I didn't own a rolling pin.

If you have a deep non-stick frying pan, that would work too.

wow they look amazing! Is there anyway you can replace the margarine with oil? or something else?

I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't see why not.

Quote PaintedXSkyline View Post
    If you have a deep non-stick frying pan, that would work too.
    Thanks! I have a non-stick frying pan, but I don't know if it's deep enough...I'll take a look at it and see. I hope it is. Mmm, donuts!

I don't think it has to be too deep - just deep enough so that the donuts can rise to the top without touching the bottom.
    Using a pan is more efficient as well, because you can make more donuts at a time. I could only make two because my deep fryer is very small.

How dare you make us want that?? With fancy pictures and everything! I thought I was content with the things that I had in my life. Now my day (and possibly life) is ruined.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

I don't think it has to be too deep - just deep enough so that the donuts can rise to the top without touching the bottom.
    Using a pan is more efficient as well, because you can make more donuts at a time. I could only make two because my deep fryer is very small.
    Yay, I think mine is big enough then! Now I just have to find the time to make them. How long did it take you?

I'd say about two hours, but most of that was just the frying since i could only do two at a time.

I read this thread last night and I dreamt that they served all vegan food in the cafeteria, and they replaced the salad bar with tons of these jelly donuts.

Quote Nyx View Post
    wow they look amazing! Is there anyway you can replace the margarine with oil? or something else?
    Let us know how it works out!

I'd say about two hours, but most of that was just the frying since i could only do two at a time.
    How many did you make? I probably couldn't fit too many in my pan (probably only 3 or 4), but maybe I'll just make less to reduce the time.

The original recipe says you'll end up with 24; I got 22. It all depends on how thin you roll your dough and the size of the circles you cut.

The original recipe says you'll end up with 24; I got 22. It all depends on how thin you roll your dough and the size of the circles you cut.
    Wow, 24? I'll definitely halve that (I mean, I suppose I could give some away to friends, but I still don't know if I could eat the rest quickly enough...then again, mmm, donuts....). Thanks for posting it!

hedge

Mmmmm Doughnuts...................

These look FAB!
    Thanks for the recipe.

No problem, hedge.

I absolutely LOVE your avatar.
    Salad fingers is amazing.

Quote matt35mm View Post
    How dare you make us want that?? With fancy pictures and everything! I thought I was content with the things that I had in my life. Now my day (and possibly life) is ruined.
    That's exactly how I feel Matt! All I can think about now is doughnuts I thought I was having a good evening but now I know I'm not...

LOL

PXS, they look FAB!

Looks good

I made donuts a couple of times a few years ago, adapting a recipe that used just one egg (basically removing it, but adding slightly more fat and yeast). They were asthetically perfect, but missing some of the taste.

The alternative to cooking with jam in the middle is to insert the jam afterwards, as is done when they're made commercially (in the UK at least). Here you can pick up syringes for under £5 from kitchenware shops for injecting seedless jam, or just use a normal piping bag (you'll end up with a larger hole this way though).

Rolling in castor sugar when they come out is always good

Quote mariana View Post
    Thanks! I have a non-stick frying pan, but I don't know if it's deep enough...I'll take a look at it and see. I hope it is. Mmm, donuts!
    Please be ultra careful deep frying in a pan, especially if you don't have a thermometer and rely on 'tests' to guess at the temperature. Whilst PXS is correct - the donuts will float and cook half at a time (hence why you see a line round the middle of donuts) requiring less oil, you're still talking about over an inch deep. I realise this may sound patronising, but don't want you to have any nasty burny surprises!
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Please be ultra careful deep frying in a pan, especially if you don't have a thermometer and rely on 'tests' to guess at the temperature. Whilst PXS is correct - the donuts will float and cook half at a time (hence why you see a line round the middle of donuts) requiring less oil, you're still talking about over an inch deep. I realise this may sound patronising, but don't want you to have any nasty burny surprises!
    Thanks for the advice. If I do decide to try it (though maybe not because it sounds like a lot more work than I'm usually willing to put into my desserts ) I'll look into investing in a deep fryer, then.

I 'invested' in one of these (link) when I was still at uni. The electrical part is self contained in a removable unit, then all of the rest can go straight in the dishwasher after use.

If you get the temperatures right then the food you deep fry should basically steam inside as its water content boils rather than soak up oil and become bad for you, but I wouldn't endorse it as a healthy option.

Some people reuse their oil. I do sometimes if it's clean and being used for the same thing again (e.g. chips), but generally not more than twice, which does add to the ongoing cost.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock