Thread: Deep frying chocolate bars

Default Deep frying chocolate bars

On Saturday night I violated the one rule I've had since buying my deep fryer 5 years ago concerning it's use - only when sober.

But I've always wanted to try (but didn't know of their existance until after I turned vegan) a deep fried mars bar, and it seemed like a good time.

Obviously not completely the same, but I gave Organica Hazlenut Nougat & Dark Chocolate bars a go. I'm glad I did.

I made a quick beer batter:

1 bottle of becks (275ml - any larger will do)
    2 heaped tbsp cornflour
    150g plain flour

Whisk together to the right consistancy (thick enough to coat basically), let stand for 10 minutes (not in fridge) as the fryer heats up, then whisk again before using.

After dipping put in 190 degree fresh sunflower oil (my oil was very much unuseable after trying this, as chocolate will melt and get into the oil, but it's important to use fresh if you don't want your pudding to taste like chips). I could fit 2 at a time in my standard sized fryer.

They take under 30 seconds to cook, by which point the batter has gone golden and the insides are nicely melted. I found that it's massively important to make sure that once put in you immediately make sure they rise to the top with a fork - otherwise they weld themselves to the bottom of the basket and are a bit of a challenge to get off.

Eat straight away, with vanilla soy icecream
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Default Re: Deep frying chocolate bars

One of the er . . .many delights I managed to avoid when living in Scotland. Deep fried Pizza and Haggis are also their delicacies. It's understandable why Scotland has the greatest number of health food shops in Europe than any other country.

Warm friendly people, and was like home away from home to me.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Wa-hey! Go Mr Flibble! I used to live in Aberdeen, just up the road from Stonehaven (where they were 'invented'), but didn't partake of the delicacy at the time. You're making my mouth waaaaater, though. Nom. Must give it a go!

Thank you!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Well, it was Burns Night yesterday so there's some excuse for such things I suppose...Not that the Bard ever had the pleasure of a deep-fried Mars bar, alas.

Mr Flibble, our public servant as ever!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

watched a programme featuring a deep fried mars bar the other night. it made me really sad to realise that I would never be able to try one, but this thread has given me hope

Oooh. Interesting. Any photos? I saw a recipe once for deep fried bounty bars which I've always been tempted to try with the organica coconut ones. I always seem to eat them before I get the chance though.

I love deep fried foods. YUMMY!!!

I'd have one (or two, or four. Darnit, the whole batch), but battered w/out beer.

Good idea! I need to get me one of those deep fryers for my own.
    context is everything

You can use fizzy water to make the batter.

Mr.Flibble- is this recipe idiot proof? ...my fear would be spending a quid on one of those (yummy) organica bars and totally ballsing up the frying process and ruining it and wasting all that oil and becks! (and having to wash up afterwards!)

shouldn't this thread be combined with the how to gain weight one?
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

cobweb

Quote 1gentlemaorispirit View Post
    One of the er . . .many delights I managed to avoid when living in Scotland. Deep fried Pizza and Haggis are also their delicacies. It's understandable why Scotland has the greatest number of health food shops in Europe than any other country.

Warm friendly people, and was like home away from home to me.

eh??
    the greatest number of health food shops?
    when i lived in mainland Scotland my 'local' health food shop was 50 miles away, and now i live in Orkney we just don't have one atall!

Mr F it sounds disgusting

Quote cobweb View Post
    eh??
    the greatest number of health food shops?
    when i lived in mainland Scotland my 'local' health food shop was 50 miles away, and now i live in Orkney we just don't have one atall!

Mr F it sounds disgusting
    I lived in Partick and had 3 on Great western road, plus 2 in the town centre. Basildon just Holland and Barrett.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

cobweb

Quote 1gentlemaorispirit View Post
    I lived in Partick and had 3 on Great western road, plus 2 in the town centre. Basildon just Holland and Barrett.
    must be a regional thing, i lived near Fraserburgh
    we use to have local pie weeks there, with posters around town bearing the slogan 'say aye to a pie'

Quote cobweb View Post
    must be a regional thing, i lived near Fraserburgh
    we use to have local pie weeks there, with posters around town bearing the slogan 'say aye to a pie'
    One of the health food shops called Grassroots has a restaurant/Cafe. The food is pretty good.

I live near Partick and we don't have many health food shop at all. I usually have to travel 3 miles or so into the city centre to go to Holland and Barrett, which doesn't have an enormous range. I also live about 3 minutes walk from the chippy that invented the "stonner" (see link). On the plus side, we do have a lot of vegan restaurants for a city this size

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ticle94120.ece

Quote jimmeh View Post
    I live near Partick and we don't have many health food shop at all. I usually have to travel 3 miles or so into the city centre to go to Holland and Barrett, which doesn't have an enormous range. I also live about 3 minutes walk from the chippy that invented the "stonner" (see link). On the plus side, we do have a lot of vegan restaurants for a city this size

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ticle94120.ece
    Grassroots - Woodlands road.
    Natural Balance- Great western road
    Roots and fruits - Otago street

Suppose. Still a bit of a hike from deepest darkest Partick. Maybe I'm just lazy.

I'm comparing them with some of the better health food shops I've seen, like the two in Berwick

No pictures - they were eaten too fast.

I'd say it's worth the risk, but then it's up to you

Mars bars can be melted in the microwave, however the vegan bars can't (I've wasted a couple this way - they go hard and weird in seconds - probably not enough water content). Deep fried however does give very good results. If you want an ultra low risk recipe you could just melt one a bit in a bain marie. It'll taste roughly the same.

You can certainly make batter without beer, or as cherry said use sparkling water. You loose some of the taste, but it's not the end of the world - it still physically does the job. There are a million recipes on google. It'd also work very well with alcohol free becks/larger if you don't mind having something that is 0.01% alcoholic.

The main problem I see is the cost of the oil (approx £2 worth in my fryer), which only makes it sensible if you're got a load of people round and doing a batch.

You need to deep fry really, I can't see it working with shallow frying (the batter needs to cook in one go and become crispy before the insides melt too much).

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Suppose. Still a bit of a hike from deepest darkest Partick. Maybe I'm just lazy.

I'm comparing them with some of the better health food shops I've seen, like the two in Berwick
    If the weather was nice, I would walk from Sauchiehall street, do some shopping in Lims or Chung Ying Chinese supermarkets, down past Cowcaddens subway, up along Graham street to Garnet Hill steet, making my way towards Charing Cross and along Woodlands road. If it was too hot, I’d either make may way to Kelvin Grove park and sit under a shady tree feeding the squirrels or get on the subway at Kelvin Bridge to Partick. Twice a month I’d walk from town via Woodlands road and up Great Western road, down Byers road, along Dumbarton in Morrisons or browse in Blockbusters, then home.

In winter I’d get the subway at Buchannon or St Enoch, get off at St Georges Cross to Grass roots, hop back on the subway to Kelvin Bridge to Natural Balance and then back on to Partick. It was a pain as Grass roots didn’t sell some foods that Natural Balance does.

I do miss living in Scotland. It will be 2 years come April since I lived there. My partner and I are considering to move back there or go over seas.

Berwick, the home of the Rugby sevens.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    The main problem I see is the cost of the oil (approx £2 worth in my fryer), which only makes it sensible if you're got a load of people round and doing a batch.
    First your cocktails, now this - just one more reason for a party at your place!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

If you're squeamish when it comes to chocolaty sweet things deep fried with icecream then please look away now, or click this link for a thread about favourite ways to eat kale.

I tried the recipe again last night am pleased to announce that i was able to make it without any seepage, so the oil is still useable. I took a picture this time:

So when are you coming to visit then marrers? Just had the first of this year's peach and lychee pimms this evening.

^ OMG!
    I'm an athiest, but if I believed in heaven, that's what it's gates would look like.
    context is everything

So when are you coming to visit then marrers? Just had the first of this year's peach and lychee pimms this evening.
    If I change my name to Marrers, can I come round for Pimms and deep fried choccy?
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    ^ OMG!
    I'm an athiest, but if I believed in heaven, that's what it's gates would look like.
    Thanks

Quote Ms Derious
    If I change my name to Marrers, can I come round for Pimms and deep fried choccy?
    Only if you bring treacle tart and wear funky glasses

*Packs bags with elasticated waist clothing and books train tickets as will be drinking too many cocktails to drive.*

ugh i hate melted chocolate.... i tried deep fried mars bars before i turned vegan and didnt like them. the melted choc just coats your mouth too much...not my cup of tea.

Sweet Mary and Josephine that looks (and sounds) good.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

1 bottle of becks (275ml - any larger will do)
    Oh, I agree. The larger the better.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Only if you bring treacle tart and wear funky glasses
    My glasses are blue.... does that count
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Yes

*live*&*let*live

I read that as 'dress like a tart and wear funky glasses' I really need my eyes testing or maybe borrow the 'funky glasses' soorreeee

Ah, no, that would be a tarts and vicars party, which is not a bad idea at all

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    I read that as 'dress like a tart and wear funky glasses' I really need my eyes testing or maybe borrow the 'funky glasses' soorreeee
    Dressing like a tart is easier then making a treacle tart.

However, dressing like a strange hippy/steampunk/goth hybrid is more my kinda thing. Everyday is dress up day in MsDerious' playground.

*live*&*let*live

ETA Ms D that could be interpreted as rather KinKEYYYYY !

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post

ETA Ms D that could be interpreted as rather KinKEYYYYY !
    What makes you think I'm not

I often play around with the types of clothes I wear... and if nothing else it reminds me not to judge others on how they look, and highlights to me just how many people do exactly that!

Ms. Derious, you stole my style! or rather the style I wish I could afford, sadly steampunk stuff tends to cost far too much for me, I wanna be a victorian steampunk detective! my budget can do the hippy stuff though!

Quote squigaletta View Post
    Ms. Derious, you stole my style! or rather the style I wish I could afford, sadly steampunk stuff tends to cost far too much for me, I wanna be a victorian steampunk detective! my budget can do the hippy stuff though!
    Charity shops and sales in the local sewing shops are your friends here. There are often tutes over on craftster or threadbanger. I'm only just getting good enough to make things that aren't shockingly bad. Normally its a case of finding something that could be fixed to look vintage and sewing as little bit of lace on it.

I'm much better at doing fixes around the house though. I am currently planning on giving the fridge a little steampunk look to it by covering it in copper coloured decopage and useing silver foam pipe lagging around all the seems to insulate it and look cool at the same time

I recently teastained a set of bedsheets to give it a vintage air. They look fantastic. I can't take too much credit as I stole the idea... but it really fixed up a set of white sheets that had gone grey over the years.

*live*&*let*live

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    What makes you think I'm not

I often play around with the types of clothes I wear... and if nothing else it reminds me not to judge others on how they look, and highlights to me just how many people do exactly that!

Ms D is a kinky steampunk, gothic, non judging vegan, deep fried chocolate bar lovin, awesome chick!

ETA post a pic of your fridge when it's done....we have gone from deep fried chocolate bars to tea stained sheets oerr!

It looks great Mr F, but I don't think I'd ever be game to try it.

Mr. Flibble, I like the look of almost everything you make. But I just can't get into the deep-fat frying. Sorry. *shudders*
    Live and let live