Thread: Bread Bins?

Default Bread Bins?

I'm into making my own bread lately but don't know how to store it.

I've been putting it in a plastic bag but that's a bit of a pain managing to buy ones that are big enough plus if the bread is still warm it gets full of condensation.

So today I bought myself a bread bin but noticed that it's not air tight (none of them on sale are).

So if i store my bread in here unwrapped is it gonna be as hard as a stone by the morning?

What do other fellow bread makers do please?

thanks
    Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk

cobweb

Default Re: Bread Bins?

i have found this to be a problem, too, most bags are not big enough!.

i bought a large plastic container in the end although i don't like that it taints the bread a bit even though i obviously cool before putting away.

First off, I'd say if you're going to store it in something airtight, wait until it's cooled down otherwise condensation is inevitable.

My parents use a bread bin that isn't airtight and I've not really noticed a problem with the bread going stale, though I suppose it depends how quickly you get through bread - they both eat quite a bit of the stuff so it probably doesn't hang round long enough to go stale.

When I make bread rolls I usually store them in plastic boxes which are more or less airtight, I've never noticed them being tainted tasting. I believe you can get metal breadbins too, which have a fairly close seal, though they may not be completely air tight.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    I believe you can get metal breadbins too, which have a fairly close seal, though they may not be completely air tight.
    Yes that's what I've bought. it was the nearest to air tight i could find. the wooden ones were awful.
    this one has rubber around most of the lid (slides up and down) but has 5 little air vents in the back.

my bread never keeps longer than 2 days anyway so i wasn't planning on keeping it that long....is that about how long your parents' last in their bread bin do you know?
    Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk

I think it can last a bit longer than that. My mum generally bakes big batches of loaves and freezes most of them, but they probably go through a loaf between them in about three days.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple