Thread: food intolerances

Default food intolerances

Hiya.
    I made some raw marinade last night with raw garlic in it and after a few mins of having like a teespoonful of it my throat started to get really itchy and when i yawned it hurt. Also i felt like i had a load of mucus behind my nose and this carried on all night. My throat feels weird this morning too. Could this be an intolerance or just a cold coming?

Also ive noticed that in the past whenever i ate oats i felt bloated and had indigestion all day. Could this be an intolerance too?

also, ive just had some pineapple and my tounge is itching like crazy. does everyone get this? is it the acid?
    'he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Zero

Default Re: food intolerances

Could be, however you may have just irritated your throat with the raw garlic, it can be quite harsh on the skin (especially in large amounts) when uncooked.

If you feel bad after eating oats then don't eat them or cut them down to a tolerable level, I feel like that if I have too much wheat, especially the really processed stuff, so I eat things like rice pasta these days.

Im leaving the garlic thing untill my colds gone.

Yesterday evening, After eating a couple of sections of a nice ripe grapefruit and suddenly getting a burning mouth, i tried all the other citrus fruits in my house. So once my mouth had recovered i tried a lil bit of lemon, same effect. Once again waited a little while and then i tried a tiny bit of satsuma and my god that burned and my mouth went really hot.
    I licked a lemon this morning too just to be sure...it burned.
    Its weird because only a couple of days ago i was digging into the satsumas.
    do you think it is possible for an allergy to be bought on this suddenly?
    is this possibly an allergy to citrus?
    thanks for your help

I have an intolerance to lots of fruits, the worst culprits being apples, kiwis, pineapple, peaches, nectarines, cherries, I could go on.....

For years I thought it was something to do with pesticides but then I discovered it was something called oral allergy syndrome and is related to hay fever. Makes sense as it tends to get worse in the summer.

Symptoms are just sore tongue, lips, gums and when it is really bad it affects the back of my throat. Oh and apples give me ear ache.

Doesn't stop me eating fruit though

Also acidic fruits likes pineapple makes my mouth sore anyway.

well i went to see an allergy guy quickly about getting some tests done when i thought it was just pineapple, and he said about pollens being on the fruit. But i dont see how that is possible, as your eating the flesh of pineapple, not the skin. Also i have never suffered from hayfever, and (exept the pineapple) i have only just (within a matter of days) got these symptoms from other citrus fruits.

Im really sorry to hear about your intolerance to most fruits..id HATE that..i love cherries and apples!

thank you for your reply, and i will look up that oral allergy syndrome.

Perhaps that is not the right syndrome for you then if you have not suffered from hay fever before.

From what I understand, fruit contains a lot of the same allergens as trees, grasses etc.. so when you eat a piece of fruit, your body gets confused and thinks you are eating the allergens and reacts to that.

Its quite a mild allergy luckily, certainly not life threatening.

I hope you get to the bottom of your problem

thank you.

if it carries on then i think i'll go to the docs and get some tests done

cobweb

Linxie i get hayfever, plus general rhinitis, and i think i am intolerant of a lot of fruits, too.
    Now it seems i have an intolerance to peanuts aswell - i have been eating them frequently of late and suddenly realised they could be linked with my terrible new reflux problem - yes, guess what, it stopped completely when i twigged and stopped eating the peanuts .

I haven't looked into it in too much detail but Oral Allergy Syndrome affects a small proportion of hay fever suffers. I had it really bad a few years ago but not so bad in recent years. I love fruit and eat loads, 4 or 5 pieces a day. I'm just going to force my body to get used to it

I do find the ear ache I get after eating an apple very strange though, as it is almost instant. But I guess the throat and ear are all connected up.

I also have the same reaction to some nuts. Not peanuts for me but walnuts are the worst, almonds, hazlenuts, pecans, all for the same reason I assume.

Here is a link for some further information http://www.allergyclinic.co.uk/oas.htm

cobweb

yes i forgot to say i can't eat nuts, either, they make my throat raw
    i do eat a little bit of nut roast sometimes but not often.

Sorry for all the reposts. I posted something then looked at the wrong date and thought it was years old and then I tried...bleh...two and two make four.

I was going to say I had the oat thing as a kid. I grew out of it. Avoid oats for now. You should be fine.

Quote Cherry.Chops View Post
    Hiya.
    I made some raw marinade last night with raw garlic in it and after a few mins of having like a teespoonful of it my throat started to get really itchy and when i yawned it hurt. Also i felt like i had a load of mucus behind my nose and this carried on all night. My throat feels weird this morning too. Could this be an intolerance or just a cold coming?
    You sound like me this morning. I made raw pine nut pesto last night with raw garlic in it. I woke up this morning w/ a weird feeling in my throat. It felt dry, sore and swollen. I thought maybe I'd just slept with my mouth open but the feeling is still here and it's 2pm. Maybe it was the garlic?
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I had a weird reaction like this after having nachos at the cafeteria. It didn't taste spicy at all (and normally I like food quite spicy), but maybe some juice squirted the wrong way in my throat or something.

I have had their nacho bar many times before and a few times since and not felt the same way, so I don't think I have an allergy or intolerance like I was originally pondering (I was thinking corn maybe, from the chips, as my throat felt like when I used to consume dairy in a fair quantity like a glass of milk and breathing become irregular). But I've had corn since then, as well as the other ingredients in that nacho bar (the beans, salsa, etc.), so maybe there was some cross-contamination with dairy? Who knows. It's also still possible that there was an irritation from something like jalapeno, even if it wasn't spicy enough for me to consider it spicy, it could still possibly have "rubbed my throat the wrong way" so to speak.

Having too much garlic or other spicy food could probably cause similar stuff. But I'm no expert. I know I've heard people talk about having stomach issues because of eating too much spicy food, as well as burning in the throat. And for me, I also get these sorts of reactions when in the presence of a fair amount of a fragrance, and cough and hurts to breathe. So other allergens from an unknown source could be a possibility as well. There are many possibilities, and this amount that I have thought up in this time I am sure is not all-inclusive.

Good to know I'm not the only one, QM. I googled it and found a few responses from ppl who say it burns their throat. I diluted the pesto with a blended tomato & water last night and my throat is much better today. I think I might leave raw garlic out of my diet for a while.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com