Thread: Doner kebabs: Death wrapped in pitta bread

Default Doner kebabs: Death wrapped in pitta bread

Shock findings of takeaway survey

"The Local Authorities Coordinators of Regulatory Services (LACORS) coordinated a doner dragnet in which operatives from 76 councils across Blighty examined 494 post-pub pitta-wrapped pabula. If your heart can stand it, the shock results were: The average kebab contains 98 per cent of daily salt, nearly 1000 calories (half a woman’s daily food intake) and 148 per cent of daily saturated fat.

And that's just the average kebab. The LACORS press release outlines the health benefits of the worst offenders thus: 1990 calories before salad and sauces - over 95 per cent of a women’s daily calorie intake; 346 per cent of a women’s saturated fat intake; and 277 per cent of an adult’s daily salt intake.

The upshot of this is that, were doners subject to the supermarket "traffic light" system, 97 per cent would be red for fat, 98 per cent would be red for saturated fat and 96 per cent would be red for salt."

"The study found a major issue with food labelling, 40 per cent of sampled kebabs that provided labelling information did not have an exact declaration for the meat species present. Tests also showed that in 15 per cent of cases beef was found in the kebab, but not declared on the label. In fact, 35 per cent of the labels listed different meat species than that actually contained in the kebab. Alarmingly, six kebabs tested positive for pork when it had not been declared as an ingredient, of which two were claimed as Halal."

Full article here
    Report here

"Shock findings" .... Shocked?? Not me.
    Here's even more reasons for omnivores to consider changing their diet.

Default Re: Doner kebabs: Death wrapped in pitta bread

Be careful, though, as vegan junkfood can be just as full of fat, salt and calories as non-vegan junkfood.

Also, it appears they ordered kebabs without salad. They probably ended up with more "meat" by doing that. A kebab with loads of salad and a sensible sized portion of meat/meat substitute would probably be healthier than a typical burger (vegan or otherwise).
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Thankfully I have never had a Kebab, Doner or otherwise (which totally amazes my friends/family, who all seem to view them as some kind of manna from heaven)...even 20 years or so when I did eat meat the idea of eating them appalled me and disregarding the obvious unhealthiness they always looked (and smelled) kinda gross!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

BlackCats

Eww that is gross but not very surprising that it is unhealthy. I know lots of people that love their kebabs.

I still go to a Turkish kebab shop that make fresh homemade falafel and cook it separately from the meat products and I have it with salad, houmous and pitta, a much yummier alternative.

cobweb

i love kebabs!!
    yum, i fancy one now, made with yagga strips, lettuce, onion and mayola.......mmm

Quote cobweb View Post
    i love kebabs!!
    yum, i fancy one now, made with yagga strips, lettuce, onion and mayola.......mmm
    Oh that sounds so yummy!

I had a death kebab once when I was about 13. I left it on the side and came down in the morning to find a layer of fat on top. Needless to say I never ate a kebab again.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Wait, people eat those? I thought they were just used for decorating the street with after a night in the pub.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I had a chip kebab once (i.e. pitta, salad with raw onion and incredibly salty french fry type things), which did a good job soaking up the masses of alcohol.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote Risker View Post
    Wait, people eat those? I thought they were just used for decorating the street with after a night in the pub.
    the decorative kind are normally only used after partial digestion, something to do with the composition and getting it to 'stick right' last time I heard. Walking to work at 6am is fun.

Quote Pob View Post
    Also, it appears they ordered kebabs without salad
    Our shop is a couple of doors along from a Kebab shop. Most weekends there is a large amount of discarded salad trailing away from there. It seems to me people see it as a hindrance to their balanced meal!

Quote aubergine View Post
    Our shop is a couple of doors along from a Kebab shop. Most weekends there is a large amount of discarded salad trailing away from there. It seems to me people see it as a hindrance to their balanced meal!
    Damn vegetables and their lack of nutritional content!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote cobweb View Post
    i love kebabs!!
    As one of those people who have never had a kebab in their life, you've just provided me with inspiration with what to do with the yagga I have in the cupboard.

cobweb

Quote vegcurry View Post
    As one of those people who have never had a kebab in their life, you've just provided me with inspiration with what to do with the yagga I have in the cupboard.

glad to be of use
    i bought some pittas this morning so i might be getting the yagga out later, too

As much as this thread is giving me horrendous flashbacks, I must also point out that the Vebab that is sold at the London Vegan Festival is worth the trip alone.

My favorite falafel place -Falafel Oasis, in Munich- was run by a lovely Syrian fellow who decided against doing Doner after he saw what was really in the prepackaged dyed chemically preserved Dog Food it really is. That and his work as a veternary assistant with farm animals and the massive doses of drugs needed to keep the animals alive....

...convinced him serving vegetarian food was best.
    More chillies no onions on mine, thanks. : )
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Yeah, falafels make pretty good vegan substitutes
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

The yagga strip thing sounds good - you could probably do the same with Frys wok strips. Actual kebabs, however, yuk. My food hygiene instructor insisted that the only reason most people didn't get sick from those was that the quantities of alcohol necessary to make you ingest one in the first place then sterilised the inside of your stomach and killed whatever was lurking on or in the kebab meat. And that, by the same ticket, people tended to be vomiting a fair bit anyway so you never know for sure if it was the beer or the crap food.
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it