Thread: happy cows produce more milk

Default happy cows produce more milk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7854745.stm

I have no opinion of this as yet, wondered what you guys thought of it. I'm not posting this with any anti vegan sentiment, I just wanted to know what everyone else thought of it, as I can imagine the 'fact' will be bandied around my house over the next few days and I need to formulate an opinion on it before I get interrogated.

Default Re: happy cows produce more milk

I don't see that it has much bearing on veganism. A lot of bodily functions seem to work better when one's feeling relaxed and lactation is probably no exception. Can't see why that would make it OK to pinch the milk?

Also "They aren't just our livelihood, they're part of the family". Hmm. Wonder what happens to them at the end of their productive life. Not sure I'd want to be a member of that family if they get treated the same way

When people look at cows, it seems like they are incapable of seeing past the milk.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Happy as in being left alone to become part of the natural order of the planet or happy as in being enslaved, artificially forced to lactate and then having the milk taken away from their hugely swollen udders for profit? Giving them a name? FFS.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

I daresay happy pigs produce more meat too. Doesn't make it right to eat them.

Quote harpy View Post
    Also "They aren't just our livelihood, they're part of the family". Hmm. Wonder what happens to them at the end of their productive life. Not sure I'd want to be a member of that family if they get treated the same way
    LoL harpy, I can just imagine the scene... "Granny's getting a bit past it... options, people?"

I guess my omnis are going to take the line that if happy cows produce more milk then being milked can't be so detrimental to their happiness. I know how I will respond now. I think the very fact that it doesnt have that much to do with veganism is why I would have found it quite hard to comment on this, and wouldnt want my mates to think that was because I in any way thought this study made it justifiable to drink milk.

Cows produce milk only because they gave birth to a calf, their calf was stolen from them not long after birth so I doubt any of them are actually happy.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Even if it makes it look like "a better way" to produce milk, its still business its still using animals. It doesn't justify the cholesterol and fats in milk either. Also its pretty obvious if you were forced into a situation and you're health and well being were taken account for you might be slightly more compelled to perform.

Really happy cows don't get artificially inseminated, have their calf stolen and then get hooked up to a piece of machinery that causes them pain, bleeding and infection.

Really happy cows don't get pumped full of antibiotics nor get culled after 4 years because they've reached their 'peak' or production.

Really happy cows gallop in field with little baby cows and munch on lots of sweet green grass have be-moo-tiful lives. ^_^

I wonder if the farmer would be happy if the cow could talk back?

I hate stories like this. It just lets people continue to be ignorant. "Oh don't be a silly Vegan! Cows love producing milk, especially if the farmer talks to them."
    "Slice it up and dig in.. let the funeral begin.."

It makes me think of Prisoner of War Camps - it's as stupid as saying that the camps where people were less appallingly brutalised were "happy" camps, where they all loved being prisoners.

Exactly.

Not being abused quite as badly as before doesn't mean happy.

D0od describes the situation very well. How could anyone think cows are happy?

Those "happy cows come from California" commercials make me want to break the TV. Good thing I don't have one and have only caught glimpses when I walk through a room with one. I'm not quite mad enough to run up and break someone else's TV.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

yes, anchor butter advertise their 'free range cows' is that supposed to make it ok? i think not, they should be made to advertise the fact that their calf has been taken from them also before the butter can be made, my friend said to me today 'if we didn't have milk there'd be no cows in the field' i said 'good' she looked so shocked.