Thread: What's wrong with free range?

Default What's wrong with free range?

After reading a book that switched me to vegan, my mother read it as well. This was five years ago and the only change she has made has been one of switching to free range, organic eggs for some reason. Her and my father literally eat two eggs every single day for breakfast (literally) with toast and generally ham. Sometimes they will even eat two at night and sometimes when my father makes omelletes he uses FIVE eggs for the two of them to share.

My parents are heavily brainwashed by the meat/dairy industry and western medicine (one doctor, one surgeon, three nurses in the family).

My mom wants to know what is wrong with free-run eggs. I told her the only thing I really know: Animals are still being used for your consumption; sometimes they are given the choice to run around but don;t take it cause they are used to cages and scared of being outside.

Any other arguments? I don't know much about organic and free-run eggs and dairy as I don't really care cause I don't eat it.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what could replace their breakfast that I could make them in the morning instead? They hate waffles, pancakes, cereal, fruit, oatmeal or any porridge or basically anything sweet. My mom is diabetic so she tells me she cant eat fruit (yet has whipped cream in her coffee EVERY MORNING) and my dad has heart disease and a whole slew of other probs. Each of them take like 5-10 pills everyday
    www.feedingthekat.wordpress.com
    My gluten-free vegan blog :)

Zero

Default Re: What's wrong with free range?

It's a nice word, with lovely thoughts of animals roaming free attached to it that attempt to ease the conscience. It is a myth in the main. See here

Also see this thread:
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18759

There is also an entire subforum that relates to Chicken and Eggs: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=116

Perhaps they would try something like socca, sort of like a Spanish omelette only made with chickpea flour? Or how about mushrooms on toast?

It's only a convention though that we have to have special food at breakfast - you can eat the same thing at breakfast as for other meals so maybe you could make them whatever they will eat for lunch and dinner

Maybe eating that quantity of eggs has contributed to your dad's heart problem?

They still arn't healthy even if the're free range.

Harpy, that spanish omellete thingy sounds awesome!

And yes, you're right about the non-breakfast foods. But my parents are literally like little children and are extremely picky. My mom won't eat ANY noodles and if I make rice it is always not cooked right. Same with anything really. She will usually snear at it and tell me what's "wrong" with it.

Johnstuff: Thats part of it, I'm sure.

I'm not good at following recipes so I don't have one, but this socca recipe is a bit similar to what I do - i.e. baked in the oven rather than fried.

http://www.realfood.org.uk/index.php...d=41&Itemid=31

If you look on the web you'll find recipes for fried ones which might be faster at breakfast time. I'm sure you could adapt them to feature whatever your parents consider suitable breakfast foods - I'm guessing olives aren't in that category

Must admit I'm not that keen on sweet things (other than fresh fruit) for breakfast myself, but I usually have toast so perhaps not much help to you. (You know, Scottish people sometimes make porridge with salt rather than sugar though...)

Zero

Quote harpy View Post
    It's only a convention though that we have to have special food at breakfast - you can eat the same thing at breakfast as for other meals so maybe you could make them whatever they will eat for lunch and dinner
    Indeed!!!

I have felt like this for years myself Harpy, however people have always looked at me like I've grown another head when I've eaten Curry or Pizza for breakfast. To me food is food regardless of whether it is breakfast, luch or dinner time

Pilaf

The problem with the term "free range" is that the FDA can slap it on eggs that are anything but free range in the ethical sense. A little digging will reveal this information to you.

Even if they were, eggs are terribly unhealthy, cholesterol laden heart attack time bombs, well, with the yolk anyway.

Thanks Pilaf. I knew that much, just didn't know what exactly that entailed.

For my mom she needs a damn good reason to stop eating eggs. For me I just feel like an animal being used is enough for me to say no.

I sent her some links from Peta and the one Zero gave me and then stated my own personal reasons why I don't find it ethical. (Did this through email since she was at work) and she said, "Pretty horrible stuff". But I highly doubt she'll stop eating eggs. I think the fact that it is such a deep habit and she has such an emotional tie to it, means she literally feels cutting them out of her life is not an option. My dad even more so.

I've been trying for awhile to help them eat better.

The other day I made them samosa style potatoes (like just filling) and put maybe a 1/4tsp cayenne in with four potatoes but it was too spicy for them and they refuse to eat it. I told them to eat it with some yogurt. My younger vegan bro is just as picky and said right to my face: "These are dry and disgusting" (before he tried them). I told him that really hurt my feelings and he said, "well, they are! They're gross and I'm not eating them".
    This is what happens almost every time I make food now. :'(

Quote Johnstuff View Post
    Maybe eating that quantity of eggs has contributed to your dad's heart problem?

They still arn't healthy even if the're free range.
    There's no "maybe" about it. My uncle died last year aged 45 due to two massive heart attacks brought on by years of eggs every day.

Quote Zero View Post
    To me food is food regardless of whether it is breakfast, luch or dinner time

Stout fellow, Zero - mind you I know someone who has things like leftover chocolate cake for breakfast and I think that's going A Bit Far

I think if someone has chocolate cake that is left over as long as breakfast time, they are Not Going Far Enough the night before!

I once had chocolate cake and beer for breakfast. That was gooood.