Thread: Anyone from Sarreguemines?

Default Anyone from Sarreguemines?

Hi there,
    My granddad was from here and I have visited a few times and love it. This year I am taking my dad with me for the first time. It is also my first visit as a vegan. First of all, anybody come from here or the Alsace and Lorraine region? Secondly, any advice as to how to explain I am a vegan would be good - 'vegetarian' was not that well recieved so....! My French is very basic by the way!!

Default Re: Anyone from Sarreguemines?

Vegan in french is "végétalien" almost the same as "végétarien" the word for vegetarian, so you really need to stress the "L".

Like most places in France, it's pretty hard to be a vegan, especially if you are eating out. Many supermarkets now sell, a whole range of soy products, milk, yoghurt, veggie paddies....And every item has a label with all the ingredients :
    milk and milk related products go by : lait, protéine de lait, lactosérum.....
    eggs go by : oeufs

hope this helps a bit

Oh cool - thanks Yorbo!! I might even write phrases down to show people as I am not confident about stressing that 'L'! I think we are staying in a hotel so that will be lots of fun....! Apparently there is a veggie restaurant in Strasbourg so am looking forward to this!! When I went on my own two years ago, I went to the kebab shop every night for a pitta bread and salad. The up-side was that they didn't seem to regard anything without meat as proper food so at least I ate cheap!

treaclemine

You might find it handy to get a copy of the Vegan Passport. It has an explanation of what vegan means written out in over 50 languages.