Thread: Ben and Jerry's Climate Neutral claim

treaclemine

Default Ben and Jerry's Climate Neutral claim

Has anyone checked up on this claim: http://www.benjerry.co.uk/climateneutral/more-info.php to see whether holds any water whatsoever?

Default Re: Ben and Jerry's Climate Neutral claim

No, but they're owned by Unilever.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I know this post is old, but I think its a great step for this company to go...BUT...its like a lesser of 2 evils. They are owned by Unilever, and they do make ice cream with milk from cows, who are an issue when it comes to pollution and the environment.

At least they put the facts up there first, and accept the dairy impact. I bet a lot of 'greens' who read it had never thought about dairy being un-green:

"Dairy farming at the beginning of the supply chain represents 20 per cent of Ben & Jerry’s total impact. Cows belch and fart methane gas contributing to the greenhouse effect that causes melting ice and loss of habitats for polar bears. There are 1.4 billion cows worldwide and each produce approximately 300 grammes of methane a day*. This accounts for 14% of all emissions of the gas. Methane has 23 times the global warming potential of CO2, so reducing emission is important in tackling climate change."

I think that it shows companies can't get away with the green-washing that they used to. This can only be a good thing IMHO.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich