Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Slaughterhouse vs. strawberry harvest: Can plants feel pain?

Default Re: 'You can watch a slaughterhouse video, I'll watch a video of a strawberry ha

People who want to engage in such an argument usually only want to justify their own behavior. Nothing you say will sway their opinions. I gave up a long time ago. Just smile and walk away is my advice. (Ironically enough, don't be surprised if in time the same person is asking suggestions about vegetarian/veganism. )

Default Re: 'You can watch a slaughterhouse video, I'll watch a video of a strawberry ha

Quote hd883scooter View Post
    People who want to engage in such an argument usually only want to justify their own behavior.
    Sure - and this is illustrated by the fact that the only people who are 'worried' that plants may feel pain are the same people who live on a diet which we all know cause a lot of pain for other living beings.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/...-about-plants/

This is a pretty beautiful answer.

Besides making points about plants not having a nervous system and not being sentient - I usually just look at the person and say, "Okay, well before you begin your plant activism, you kind soul you, stop eating animals; because you know they do suffer and have an interest in living." Then I get a, "Haha, yeah, I don't care about plants.."

People who don't really believe in something, usually have a harder time arguing for it; Unless they're experts at being pseudo-intellectual buttfaces, or lawyers [I feel like I can make fun of lawyers since I want to be one someday.] So, I find these "But you're hurting plants!" 'debates' never last too long and I come out on top.

Default Re: Witty vegan comebacks / one-liners

Another alternative for the "...but plants have feelings too...":

"Are you saying that because:
    a) You truly believe in it;
    b) You want to believe in it;
    c) You want to play an idiot."

Some people actually think that is true (my mom is one of them) - for those, you can kindly explain all the things about nervous systems, etc.

If the person chooses letter A but you know he's playing the devil's advocate, you can challege his confidence in it by asking:

"If the girl you're interested in were here and you wanted her to maintain the impression of you as an intelligent and reasonable person, would you still pull out this argument and choose letter A?"

At this point, if he insists, he will really be playing the role of the dumbass who thinks that plants have nervous systems.

You can explain that to him, or you can drag him even lower:

"Ok, let's take a different approach: If you think plants have feelings, then I hope you do not deny that animals have feelings. I also hope that you at least defend that we should develop and put into practice ways of killing animals that are faster and as painless as possible, right?"

If he says he doesn't, you can just walk away. It's not worth to discuss with a heartless beast.
    If he says yes, keep on going:
    "So tell me this, would you defend that we should develop and put into practice ways of harvesting that would kill the plants as quickly and painless as possible? Why not?"

If he says yes, he deserves you to post a picture of him on facebook quoting:

"I think we should develop and put into practice ways of harvesting that would kill the plants as quickly and painless as possible" - Dumbass Friend

Luckily, it will be a very small percentage of people that will make it to the end of this trap.
    Last edited by Korn; Jun 22nd, 2012 at 05:19 AM. Reason: post moved from another trhead

Default Re: "Plants have feelings too"

Quote SandraD View Post
    Fruit is from plants......they are ovaries.
    Analogy wise; The stigma and stamens of plants are the testicles and ovaries. Seeds would be fertilised 'eggs'. Fruit simply being 'bait' to attract distributors of those fertilised 'eggs'.

Bit like that pig-thingy in the restaurant at the end of the universe (Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy) fruit actualy want's/needs to be eaten.

And what is fruitarian?
    A logical step on from 'vegan'?
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Default Re: "Plants have feelings too"

And what is fruitarian?
    Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    A logical step on from 'vegan'?

Not really, fruitarian is only a diet. It would be a step on from a vegan diet, but not from 'vegan'.