Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Side effects of going raw?

Quote Robinwomb View Post
    I have relapsed back into anorexia nervosa and a low weight after an almost three year semi recovery... I am not giving up though!
    Hi Robinwomb, I am sorry to hear that you're struggling but I admire your determination and your spirit. You know you have our collective support & good wishes
    Houmous atá ann!

Default Re: Side effects of going raw?

Ah man, that's not good :/ What's your caloric intake? Maybe you should be eating tons more of nuts and seeds? :P For some reason whatever I eat during the day, it always adds up to 2000+ kcal, so I'm trying to do enough workout to actually get into my normal weight.
    And it's not as cold here either, -3 it claims at the moment. But I know what -20 with wind feels like - terrible and worse. And I guess how your body accepts and deals with the mainly raw food really depends in your body, metabolism and all other stuff. Take the '40 below fruity' girl in Canada - in the middle of nowhere with tons of snow but she's managing whereas many people do struggle with getting their body to their side in this decision.
    But taking it slow definitely is a good idea. Step by step and just see how your body feels. After all, there's no point in pushing it, if the result is only getting worse. You only have one health in this lifetime
    We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

Smile Re: Side effects of going raw?

Quote spidress View Post
    Ah man, that's not good :/ What's your caloric intake? Maybe you should be eating tons more of nuts and seeds? :P For some reason whatever I eat during the day, it always adds up to 2000+ kcal, so I'm trying to do enough workout to actually get into my normal weight.
    And it's not as cold here either, -3 it claims at the moment. But I know what -20 with wind feels like - terrible and worse. And I guess how your body accepts and deals with the mainly raw food really depends in your body, metabolism and all other stuff. Take the '40 below fruity' girl in Canada - in the middle of nowhere with tons of snow but she's managing whereas many people do struggle with getting their body to their side in this decision.
    But taking it slow definitely is a good idea. Step by step and just see how your body feels. After all, there's no point in pushing it, if the result is only getting worse. You only have one health in this lifetime
    My calorie intake is below 1000 (too embarassed to get more specific). I also exercise more than an hour six days a week. It's like there is this switch in my head that flicks over and I have this sudden unbearable fear of eating and gaining weight. It wasn't even like this just a few months ago. I think it was precipitated by getting injured while running for which I am doing physical therapy now. I put my whole heart and soul into running only to have an injury that is taking months to heal (would take less time if I stopped exercising) that will not allow me to run. Long story. I think due to years of hypothyroidism my body can not tolerate cold, and a raw food diet does tend to drop the body temperature slightly. My themostat is forever out of whack between thyroid issues, surgical menopause, and being underweight. So it might be just an individual thing as to why I freeze so badly eating all raw when others handle it well. I was able to go fully vegan overnight no problems and that was just about two years ago (as of February 27), but even with my ability to restrict and exercise eating raw was too tough.

Blueberries thanks for the well wishes! I miss posting here but school, work, exercise are all keeping me way too busy and it's already past my bedtime.

im thinking about goin raw as i think its the best so thank you

Quote Robinwomb View Post
    My calorie intake is below 1000 (too embarassed to get more specific). I also exercise more than an hour six days a week. It's like there is this switch in my head that flicks over and I have this sudden unbearable fear of eating and gaining weight. It wasn't even like this just a few months ago. I think it was precipitated by getting injured while running for which I am doing physical therapy now. I put my whole heart and soul into running only to have an injury that is taking months to heal (would take less time if I stopped exercising) that will not allow me to run. Long story. I think due to years of hypothyroidism my body can not tolerate cold, and a raw food diet does tend to drop the body temperature slightly. My themostat is forever out of whack between thyroid issues, surgical menopause, and being underweight. So it might be just an individual thing as to why I freeze so badly eating all raw when others handle it well. I was able to go fully vegan overnight no problems and that was just about two years ago (as of February 27), but even with my ability to restrict and exercise eating raw was too tough.
    Are you kidding me? LESS than 1000?!? How are you still standing :/ Look at Freelee Frugivore (or the Bananagirl, as she's known), about 3500kcal per day and look how good she looks! You need to take care of yourself, I'd say the injury is indicating that you should take some time off and let it be, you can't overwork or you'll end up in a hospital. With this low calorie intake I am not surprised at all that you're cold, there's not enough energy to keep the body heat. My body was fine with going vegan overnight as well (3 years as of this Mon :P) but raw is something body really needs to get used to. Just take care of yourself, please! And eat more! Nuts are your friends!
    We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

I'm no raw expert either, but I do know the problem for a lot of people who go 100% raw is that they have a very low calorie intake. You're not supposed to eat 2 bananas for example, you're supposed to eat at least 7 or something. As was already said, don't go nuts on the nuts. There is a whole movement of people out there who live mainly on fruit (and some leafy greens I think). If you're interested you can look up Freelea on Youtube (or Google 30 bananas a day or the 80/10/10 diet).

Robinwomb I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from anorexia. I've experienced this in my close family as well. Don't give up, you can win this battle!
    “Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight.”

Best wishes to you Robin for getting the problem under control. Are you able to get any "real life" help at the moment? e-hugs from here.

Robin,

also heartfelt wishes from my side ... and start making some nice green smoothies to add some substance to your intake!

I understand that you have this fear of gaining weight (to be honest, I do, of course, not really understand it, but I know that the condition makes you believe this) but you have to trust us that you should eat more. I don't suggest to eat 3500 calories a day, but you should get closer to 2000 at least. And as long as you do eat fresh, ripe fruit, you are going to be fine!!!

Best regards,
    Andy