Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Side effects of going raw?

JC

Default Side effects of going raw?

I've recently gone (mostly) raw, and i have no idea if this is connected, but i can only assume it is because this all started at the same time as i lay off the cooked food. I'm not knocking raw veganism, because it's the best thing that's happened to me in a long time, but it's as if i've suddenly because completely devoid of energy. I'm have to force myself not to go to bed at 7pm, and stay up until about 9 or 10pm because i'm so tired. Then i'll wake up around 3am, want to get up then, but i make myself sleep for a few more hours. So despite getting at least 8 or 9 hours sleep a night, i'm exhausted come lunchtime. I'm not doing anything strenuous, i'm a student! I can't even face going to the cinema, let alone going out, and my friends are starting to comment on how i never go out anymore, but i'm just so exhausted i literally can't. Has anyone else had problems with this? I am missing something essential from my diet that i hadn't thought about? On an average day, i'm having soaked oat groats for breakfast, nakd bar for lunch, salad for dinner, then i snack on fresh and dried fruit, and nuts, so i'm never hungry. Is it something worth going to the doctors for? I'm supposed to give blood on wednesday, but i don't want to make matters worse...

Default Re: Side effects of going raw?

well maybe you should go to bed at 7pm...its probably your body's way of telling you it needs to rest. and if you wake up in the middle of the night do something like read...maybe its detox? or maybe you aren't getting enough calories or water?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I had a similar experience when going raw for a month and it didn't get better. I just could focus I was so exhausted and would zone out at work. It was awful, so I stopped.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I have to agree that I am feeling a bit tired. But I also had an anaesthetic the other week so I wasn't sure if it was that.

I remember feeling a bit tired when I went raw in November 2007, I think I asked about it on another forum, I'll see if I can find the thread and what ppl said. I recall them talking about food combining.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I can't find the advice I was given but I was reading Dr Sommer's website this morning where he mentioned the Boutenko's tips on avoiding mistakes on raw. I googled this and found an article http://www.rawfoodhowto.com/four-raw...t-mistakes.cfm the main reason for being tired there is too many fats ie. avocados, nuts, oils. And dried fruits because they can upset digestion.

I think after I was told about this in 07 I tried going high raw, low fat (like 80/10/10) but then I fainted for the first time ever and pretty much went back to cooked foods.

JC

Thanks Kitteh, that's really useful! I think i'll try to lay off the nuts and dried fruits for a while, and see if that improves anything

I made raw cherry tarts on Saturday, the base has hazelnuts in it and the filling has cahews in it, I ate 2 on Saturday and one on Sunday. Plus I made raw crackers which have flax, chia and sesame seeds in them. I felt so tired on Saturday night and exhausted from about midday yestday

If you are feeling run down or some such, and suspect it may be the diet (or how you are doing if if that's what you think it is), then what about keeping tabs on what you eat in a day and what's in it nutritionally? Sounds like a bit of work, but maybe there's a vitamin or something that isn't well represented in what you're currently eating. To check also for enough calories, too, would be a good idea.

are you eating enough iron?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

JC

I think so... I take a kelp tablet every day as a back up, so i'm sure that's not the problem. But i've decided now that i'm going to have some cooked food in my diet - i don't have the equipment to do raw veganism properly, and i can't survive on salad and nakd bars all the time! I'm still going to have 2 raw meals a day - breakfast can be made raw so easily, and i can have a salad for lunch or dinner, then for the other meal i'm going to have something more substantial, with tofu or tempeh. That's the new plan anyway!

I think that's a good plan til you get yourself sorted. I'd have a nakd bar AFTER my lunch, and a salad WITH my dinner! I'm surprised you haven't been ravenously hungry!

Quote Quantum Mechanic View Post
    If you are feeling run down or some such, and suspect it may be the diet (or how you are doing if if that's what you think it is), then what about keeping tabs on what you eat in a day and what's in it nutritionally? Sounds like a bit of work, but maybe there's a vitamin or something that isn't well represented in what you're currently eating. To check also for enough calories, too, would be a good idea.
    I use an online program called Calorie King and I know I am getting enough calories (well according to what the program says) and it also shows nutrients but I don't look at those stats, so will go have a look now

Quote Gorilla View Post
    are you eating enough iron?
    I am still taking all my vitamins and supplements, I take Floradix liquid twice a day, so I hope I am absorbing it. And I eat a big bunch of baby spinach daily too.

JC, I think your plan sounds great, you really have to do what's good for you. It's been raining and cold the past week here and I'm starting to want cooked food so I don't know if I can keep up high raw through autumn/winter.

Quote Kitteh View Post
    I am still taking all my vitamins and supplements, I take Floradix liquid twice a day, so I hope I am absorbing it. And I eat a big bunch of baby spinach daily too.
    just FYI spinach is not a good source of iron because it contains high levels of oxalate, making the iron unavailable to the human body. also try to eat iron and calcium-rich foods separately to increase absorption potential.

hope you both feel better soon
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    just FYI spinach is not a good source of iron because it contains high levels of oxalate, making the iron unavailable to the human body. also try to eat iron and calcium-rich foods separately to increase absorption potential.
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.I love spinach and eat tons of it and thought it was good for my low iron levels. You've crushed all my hopes Gorilla.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

sorry but don't shoot the messenger

Zero

Good sources of iron that are low oxalate are dark grapes, avocado, most "herb greens" like basil, corriander etc, coconut, asparagus, peppers (bell, banana, etc), tomatoes, bananas, broccoli.

You can check out www.nutritiondata.com for nutrient contents

Prawnil

Post Re: Side effects of going raw?

Oxalic acid does not influence nonhaem iron absorption in humans: a comparison of kale and spinach meals
    2008, European Journal of Clinical Nutrition
    "CONCLUSION: Potassium oxalate did not influence iron absorption in humans from a kale meal and our findings strongly suggest that OA[Oxalic Acid] in fruits and vegetables is of minor relevance in iron nutrition."

In practice perhaps not. Spinach's high vitamin C content is an iron-availability promoter in contrast - but who knows how their influences interact during digestion.
    Elsewhere,
    "Spinach ranks high among leafy vegetables in total iron content but has ofen been regarded as a poor source of dietary iron because of low availability. Some studies do support that view ... Layrisse et al...1.7% ... Moore and Dubach...1.3% ... <10%. Other studies have demonstrated somewhat better absorption of iron from spinach. Ruegamer et al. ...10-20%. Pye and Mcloed...26%[raw]...31%[cooked]. McMillan and Johson reported ... 13%.
    ... The depressant effects of oxalate on calcium utilization might lead one to suspect similar effects on iron absorption, but close examination of the literature does not completely justify this conclusion. ... Our data indicate that the high oxalate content of spinach does not result in poor availability of iron ..
    ." D R van Campen & R M Welch, but old (1980).

Still,
    "Spinach was digested in vitro...with and without the addition of supplemental ascorbic acid... cell cultures were used to determine iron bioavailability from the spinach mixtures. ... showed the supplemental ascorbic acid doubled bioavailability of iron from spinach. The data show fresh spinach is a poor source of iron" C J Rutzke, 2004. 'Bioavailability of iron from spinach using an in vitro/human Caco-2 cell bioassay model'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    just FYI spinach is not a good source of iron because it contains high levels of oxalate, making the iron unavailable to the human body.
    is that both raw and cooked gorilla?

iron and vit c should be eaten together to maximise the absoption of both.

^ i'm not sure if it makes a difference whether the spinach is raw or cooked, sorry.

tea and coffee inhibit iron absorption too but not a problem if you're raw i guess.

that's interesting as spinach is always pushed as a good source of iron.

i guess the best way is to mix your dark greens - spinach, kale, savoy, pak/bok choi etc...

Prawnil

Post Re: Side effects of going raw?

("Index --------| Species--|Raw material-- | After Blanching--| After Cooking
    Total oxalates- |Spinach-- |0.94 ± 0.030--| 0.78 ± 0.011 -- | 0.71 ± 0.010
    (g/100 g) "
    G Jaworska, 2005. 'Nitrates, nitrites, and oxalates in products of spinach and New Zealand spinach: Effect of technological measures and storage time...' Food Chemistry.
    Cooked=lowered oxalates. )

JC

Spinach is expensive stuff too. I think i'll stick to more definate sources of iron in the future Oh, and i gave blood today and wasn't anaemic - hoorah!! Although i did nearly pass out haha

thanks prawnil

Quote Zero View Post
    Good sources of iron that are low oxalate are dark grapes, avocado, most "herb greens" like basil, corriander etc, coconut, asparagus, peppers (bell, banana, etc), tomatoes, bananas, broccoli.

You can check out www.nutritiondata.com for nutrient contents
    Avocado, check
    Basil, check
    Bananas, check
    Tomatoes, check
    Broccoli, check

Thanks, Zero & Prawnil for those studies And baby spinach isn't expensive here and I love it in my green smoothies so I will keep on eatin' it.

Quote Kitteh View Post
    here and I love it in my green smoothies so I will keep on eatin' it.

heh heh - me too!

fresh fruit all the way!!
    'he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Default Raw diet = dizzy?!

Ok so about a week ago I started the raw food diet to help control my blood sugars and because I hate animal cruelty. (type 1 diabetic here) and since then I've managed to get off my short acting (still using my long acting twice a day but just getting off short acting is a miracle enough). But since then I've had a terribly acidic stomach and I've felt so much dizzier. Ill stand up and be crazy dizzy and all since I started my raw vegan diet.

Is this part of the detoxing? I don't have insurance so I Can't go to the doctor and I hardly make enough money to pay for my long acting insulin let along short acting. I have it as back up. But my point is, does the dizziness ever go away?!
    I decided animals deserve a better fate then on my plate!

Hi

I've noticed quite a few people on the forum talking about eating raw. I was wondering why you want to do this, is it for health reasons?

Is molasses raw? I think it is spun out of shredded sugar cane before the first boiling... but not sure without checking.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Trying to figure out why my post got moved...when it was a separate question. I figured out the dizziness was lack of protein so make sure you are getting your protein! As for raw, Whale, you could use Agave nector or stevia Mymbles I went raw because it's the best way to naturally lower blood sugars AND get the full nutrients out of your food. And trust me you dont realize how processed and how devoid of nutrients you are until you give your body a ton and watch how it reacts!

Quote squirrelgurl07 View Post
    Trying to figure out why my post got moved...when it was a separate question.
    Hi!

A thread called "Raw diet = dizzy?" seems to be about side effects of going raw to me - so I merged the two threads. There are some benefits of merging threads... the same topic or a similar issue may already have been discussed in the already existing posts, so one may find that the question already is answered - plus, subscribers to the old thread may get a notification when a new post occurs in this thread. These people may know something about the question you asked, and respond to your post.

It's too bad that necessary medication/seeing a doctor, when necessary, isn't free in all countries. I'm not a doctor, and know very little about diabetes, but like other forums, we have this policy of asking people not to use the forum as a substitute for professional diagnosis or treatment. When you wrote about being 'crazy dizzy and all' since you started your raw vegan diet, it seemed to me that you either were lacking something (B12, protein etc) in your diet, or that you needed to see a doctor. You say you can't afford this, but (pardon my ignorance) what happens with people without an health insurance when they get seriously ill in US? I'm not saying that you shouldn't go raw, but I guess a doctor would have recommended a gradual change, and reduce medication when or after he has seen that your new diet makes your medication unnecessary.

Where do you get your protein and B12 from now?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I switched back to being a normal vegan and decided to wean myself slowly onto raw. As for what happens when we have no health insurance and get sick we have to go to the doctor/hospital. Some, like my endocrinologist have a low income plan where they help you pay off your bill. Others will send you a bill and you have to file through the state and hope they pay it, if they don't you're stuck with it. Currently I can't get a response out of anyone to get my insurance back and I can't afford it through my work because weekly itd be over half of my paycheck.

I have low vit D as it is and I think this has had a lot to do with it. But for now I am going to do a gradual change as much as I don't want to, I feel it'd be less of a shock but it was wonderful to see my body not require short acting insulin while doing the raw diet. Gives me hope for the next time I go raw.

God these posts are scary, you all sound like you are starving yourselves to death. No one should feel like that, and if you do, your body is telling you something, please listen to it. If you insist on this raw thing, then maybe triple what you are eating right now.

I have been trying how to determine if raw food green smoothies could be problematic. Someone mentioned that they are concerned that it oxidizes the greens when they are blended. I searched on Google and Yahoo, but couldn't find definite answers. What I would like to know is if this is true, if so it would be a real shame. If it is true, perhaps there are ways they can be prepared that would negate this effect. If anyone knows, or know of sites where I could download information, or Youtube, I would love to hear from you.

mythil

What I found (as someone who hits the gym every day and has to write papers after) as a raw vegan you really NEED to eat lots. Lots and lots as vegetables have few calories. I do cheat a little as I have soy milk in my banana smoothie in the morning but I can't stand just having water. Here are two tips I go by.. 1) Increase your fruit intake, fruit has a lot of natural sugar and calories so it will give you a boost. 2) This can cost a bit so I suggest finding a local farm shop or somewhere that sells cheap or wholesale vegetables and that will keep the cost right down

Thanks mythil, very good advice. Do you know anything about oxidization of blended greens? I am hoping that oxidization doesn't prove an issue.

mythil

I'm not sure of the science behind it but I've never really thought that cutting things up into smaller bits (Which is what a smoothie is really) would effect much at all. I use smoothies all the time and never had a problem, same with soup.

MoloKai Hawaii, there is a raw vegan commune on the big island in Ma'lau? (unsure of its name)? Its been set up with help of the Author of the 80/10/10 diet. This may help you as they also sell their produce locally. Check out foods like medjool dates, there are a few companies like '7 hot dates'.com who can do bulk orders and they are delicious! Also the 'date people' are raw foodist date farmers. In hawaii you have plenty of avocados, mangos available.
    Blessings

Thanks Mordechai, I didn't know about the raw vegans on Hawaii island and will check out the dates.

Thanks mythil, I agree and wouldn't think just making things smaller would make a difference. I am thinking the oxidization they are warning about may come if the blended greens are stored for awhile after being blended.

Quote Rose Braverman View Post
    I have been trying how to determine if raw food green smoothies could be problematic. Someone mentioned that they are concerned that it oxidizes the greens when they are blended. I searched on Google and Yahoo, but couldn't find definite answers. What I would like to know is if this is true, if so it would be a real shame. If it is true, perhaps there are ways they can be prepared that would negate this effect. If anyone knows, or know of sites where I could download information, or Youtube, I would love to hear from you.
    If you are worried about oxidation in your smoothies, how about adding some lemon juice before you blend?
    Lemon juice is a powerful antioxidant, and I rub it on the cut surfaces of apple pieces for my daughters lunch box.
    This stops them oxidising and going brown, and lasts all day.

What an excellent idea, I will try that. Thanks.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would share my struggle with 100% raw. I did it only for several days totally raw (no tea or coffee either) and I became unbearably cold. I would curl up with a heating pad just to keep warm and I couldnt wait for a hot bath before bed. I live in Northeastern Minnesota and I am quite small and I also have hypothyroid issues so I wonder if all those things combined just make eating 100% raw a real challenge. I decide to stick with an average 50% raw and allow myself some cooked and warmer foods. I love homemade hot soups too much and my cooked beans. I think this is far more realistic and doable for me and still gives me the benefit of a greater percentage of healthy raw and living foods. I eat a very unprocessed whole foods diet anyway. Has anyone else struggled with getting chilled eating raw? I may try to attempt it again in the summer when it is warmer. Today was 10 degrees F. and -35 degrees farenheit with windchill factor with a stiff wind coming off lake Superior. Brrrrr.

I am by no means an expert, but from what I understand being cold can be a symptom of low metabolism. You don’t say what type of thyroid problems you have but if it is hypothyroidism vs. hyperthyroidism, feeling easily cold is often a symptom of hypothyroidism. Being from Hawaii, it is difficult to imagine how you manage to keep warm in your climate. Hope you find some answers on the effects of raw foods. Good luck.

Hi, thanks for responding. I did say in my post I have hypothyroid issues. I am being treated for it (have been treated for it for years) but have not had my levels checked for some time. I am sure a lot of it is that. I have always gotten cold very easily too. Frustrating. Hawaii sounds wonderful right now! We have had a record low of snowfall this year, very unusual. I don't think we have had more than a few inches all winter, when usually we have at least a few feet on the ground by now. It's been dreary and cold though.

Could adding fresh chillis and ginger to your food help with your heat problems? Or gently warming food in a dehydrator?
    When the temperatures really drop though, hot veggie chillie always hits the spot!!! You just have to listen to your body. x

Thanks for the suggestions Crafterga. Actually I do enjoy fresh ginger and chiles already! I had a chile on my salad last night. My body was craving it so I bought some yesterday. I do not have a dehydrator yet but I am working on it. My raw food consists of fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, lots of homemade smoothies and juices with greens and coconut or fruit (and fresh ginger ), whole raw seeds and nuts, sprouted lentils, sea vegetables, soaked sprouted buckwheat and oat groats. Minimal processing. But I do believe a deydrator would open up the possibilities, especially when I go canoe camping in the summer and will need food that keeps for a week. For now I have foregone 100% raw and am aiming for half raw half cooked food. I dont think my body is ready for totally raw yet, and maybe my psyche isnt ready either. Thanks again for the suggestions. The chile sounds good!

The idea is so good.I will try it .Raw food are so good for health.They provide energy and nutrion to us.
    There are many benefits of raw foods.They prevent body form many diseases.

Robinwomb, your diet sounds so healthy! I hope it's going well now and you're not constantly freezing anymore

But the other problems yous have had made me weary now with going fully raw meself. I hope my body's ready for it, been trying to adapt for 5 months now, giving meself another 2 :P

Quote spidress View Post
    Robinwomb, your diet sounds so healthy! I hope it's going well now and you're not constantly freezing anymore

But the other problems yous have had made me weary now with going fully raw meself. I hope my body's ready for it, been trying to adapt for 5 months now, giving meself another 2 :P
    Thanks spidress! I am still not fully raw though I do eat quite a bit raw. I can't say as I am the healthiest right now as I have relapsed back into anorexia nervosa and a low weight after an almost three year semi recovery, though when I do eat I choose very healthy food. I am not giving up though! I am trying to get through college and battling not to get any worse. It is very very cold here right now. Today was -5 F (-20.55 C) and the wind made it much more brutal. I couldn't imagine living without my hot herbal teas right now.

When I did go fully raw for short periods I did it too much too fast and my digestion took a huge hit. I was eating 12 to 15 servings of raw fruits and vegetables a day and going to the bathroom a LOT. I think taking it more slowly makes sense if it is something you want to try. My heart is just not in it and I really don't see that the benefits at this point outweigh cooking at least some foods. The last thing I personally need to do right now is restrict my food intake even more in terms of variety. I certainly wouldn't discourage others from trying a raw food approach though. Some people seem to have a lot of success. I hope it all works out for you. Don't let my personal experience discourage you. Our bodies are all so varied and different.