Thread: Gaining Weight (muscle)

Default Gaining Weight (muscle)

So I realized today, that after only a month and a half of being vegan I have lost weight, which for some folks they'd be pleased. However, I've always been very skinny, so this is no good. I believe I'm eating properly as I eat a fair amount. I've taken some advice from the forums and have been eating a lot more fresh veggies instead of processed food. Ok, so the point is I'd like to bulk up a bit and I know exercise is key but I know diet can play a part. Anyone have advice either diet or excercise related?

Default Re: Gaining Weight (muscle)

There's this awful myth that carbs are bad and we should eat more fruit and veg and less potatoes, etc.

When you look at the food pyramid, though, you should be eating almost twice as many portions of carbs per day as fruit and veg combined!

Processed food is generally carb and fat heavy, and so is packed with energy. If you take it out of your diet, you need to replace it with alternative sources of carbs. Eat plenty of potatoes, rice, pasta, etc.

Judging by your Flickr pics, you are very active, and so need shedloads of calories, just to maintain your weight.

ETA: You'll need extra energy to do any muscle building exercise, too.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Oh trust me I get a lot of carbs, with school right now combined with stress and not eating properly always makes me feel like shit... Although I'm taking the effort of making my own lunches everyday there's like only one vegan take out place near me and its pricey.

My favorite veg is broccoli, lightly steamed. It's got vit. C, iron, protein...and it's yummy in stir-fry.

Beans are awesome, especially with curries and veg.

Nuts and seeds are a great source of concentrated protein and fats, with some carbohydrates too. I like to blend nuts with oil (at least I'd like too - haven't bought my own oil yet) and you can make almond butter or peanut butter or things like that to put on sandwhiches and things. I like almonds especially because they are a good, tasty calcium source. A homemade trail mix of nuts, raisins, etc. would be a great way to mix things up rather than just munching on some almonds (none of the mixed nuts at the store I saw were vegan, don't remember why...probably cheaper to buy in bulk anyway).

Also, do you like tofu? That can be good too, especially in teriyaki sauce. Smoothies are great too for a quick pick me up, though it would probably be best to add in a flax oil or some such to balance out the sugar and other vitamins from the fruit.

Of course, I've never lived a very active life myself, but I think these foods generally are energy-promoting. There is also a vegan bodybuilders forum you may want to have a look at, so even if you're not interested in anything major like that, it could prove a valuable resource to you.

Good wishes!

If you are losing weight it means that you are not eating enough calories. That may or may not be bad. If you are losing fat then don't worry bout it , but if it's muscle then worry. Eating more will make you gain weight.
    I have to strongly disagree with the comment of eat more potatoes, pasta, and rice. All of these things are the reason why many people are overweight and unhealthy. Substitute brown rice, sweet potatoes, taro, and whole grain pasta. Stay away from "white" foods. They may make you gain weight, but they're empty calories.
    Certainly eating more protein can help in muscle and weight gain and development. Tofu, grain milks, and protein shakes can help quite a bit. I noticed that when I started to include more protein in my diet my strength training has benefited me more.
    All in all I would say to monitor what and how much you are eating. Make sure you are getting the right amounts of nutrients for your body type and activity level.
    pro-vegetable

I'm not sure what I'm losing, I lost a tiny bit of weight when I started cycling which was also when I stopped eating meat, but I got more toned so I imagine it was fat. I haven't weighed myself since autumn, I was around 152-155 then but I weighed myself this weekend and I'm about 148-150lbs. Maybe I'm over thinking it, I've always been a little self-conscious about being thin.

Anyway if I do start any strength training type stuff is there any protein shakes you'd recommended.

I didn't say eat white rice and white pasta. Potatoes cooked with their skins on aren't exactly devoid of nutrients, either.

It didn't sound like the OP was in any danger of being overweight.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Yes, you may be over thinking it. Not eating meat and dairy cuts a lot of fat from your diet. That can contribute too. Exercising more makes you lose weight, more or less. Don't worry too much. There is a big difference between tone and bone, if you know what I mean.
    pro-vegetable