Thread: qiuche recipe please?

Default qiuche recipe please?

Hi,

I have tried to make some vegan quiches, but they were not succesful here. It were recipes with tofu as an ingredient.
    Does anybody here know some good guiche recipes, that taste a bit like a non vegan quiche?

Thanks,
    Wendy

Default Re: qiuche recipe please?

Quote wendy View Post
    Hi,

I have tried to make some vegan quiches, but they were not succesful here. It were recipes with tofu as an ingredient.
    Does anybody here know some good guiche recipes, that taste a bit like a non vegan quiche?

Thanks,
    Wendy
    What went wrong with the recipes you tried? And what flavour quiches do you like?

I like mushroom quiche-type pie in a pastry case with chopped mushrooms and a mix of white sauce (made with soya milk, flour or corn flour, and flavourings such as paprika, garlic, soya sauce, herbs) and mashed up soft tofu mixed in, then baked in the normal way. Not sure if that's any help to you?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Well it was a quiche with crust and tofu spinache/ mushroom filling and it tasted nothing like a non vegan quiche. It contained as seasoning salt, pepper, paprika, basil and thyme. I also tried one without crust from the fat free kitchen, and it had even less succes.

What kind of flavouring are you trying to mimic though?

Do you want something that tastes like cheese? Or eggs? Or ham? All common ingredients in quiche. We can do something about the first and the last, the eggs might be more difficult.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I should appeal to people who are used to eating normal quiches.
    I tried these two:
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000148.html
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12...u-quiches.html

Are there quiches with less tofu? A different kind of filling.

Thanks for thinking along

Hmm. I don't know if you'll manage to completely reproduce non-vegan quiche so that non vegans will be fooled, although I personally have had alright results with fairly simple recipes involving onions, tofu and soya cream cheese. The first recipe looks ridiculously complicated, but then I don't usually have much patience cooking, I tend to whack things in, taste as I go along, make stuff up. Sorry, that's not much help to you.

What I would say is that normal quiches have quite a bit of fat in them usually, so I wouldn't have thought a fat-free recipe would be the way to go. They sometimes have cream in, from what I remember, so maybe some of that soya cream would be useful. I also think the secret of the flavouring is to just put small amounts of cheesish flavoured stuff if you want a cheesy taste, so a pinch of yeast extract, a dash of soya sauce, a sprinkle of cayenne...

When do you need a good recipe by? Do you have a deadline?

My husband is not vegan, not even vegetarian. But at home he eats mostly vegan. And since I am the cook, dinner is vegan.
    I also make his lunch for work. He is OK with vegetarian lunch (cheese on bread) but not vegan. He doesn't always want to eat bread with chocolat. And he is a picky eater.
    I have one cashewspread he likes (found here recently on the forum) and I also sometimes make vegan wraps he likes. But because I want to limit the amount of cheese he eats as much as possible, I want to make things he can easily take to work and that tastes good (to him)
    A quiche seemed like a good thing to try and make , that he can take with him now and then.

Can you get fake cheese where you are, Wendy? I have made reasonably successful quiches in the past using a mixture of veg (e.g. leeks), grated Cheezly (fake cheese) and some white sauce - can't remember the exact details but I could try and reconstruct them.

Tofutti?
    I did try a couple of fake cheeses on pizza and lasagna and tosti's but he did not like any of them.

I'm not sure about Tofutti, I haven't tried it. The Cheezly one melts reasonably well which is why it sometimes works better than others in recipes I think. But if your OH doesn't like fake cheese then perhaps it's not the way to go!

If you use a strongly-flavoured vegetable like leeks or broccoli, you could perhaps just use a thick white sauce and not bother with the fake cheese or tofu. For a cheese-like flavour you could perhaps mix in some nutritional yeast flakes (if you have those?). Or just flavour the sauce with mustard, pepper and so forth.

Ok, thanks!

I found a fantastic recipe on the BBC website but that was ages ago. I am sure it had tofu in it but it didnt taste of tofu. It has a ground nut base. Will have a look if i can find it written down in my mass of paper scribbled recipes and get back to you.

I have remembered that there is a type of "Alsatian" onion tart where the filling is really just slow-cooked onions with not much added - this recipe is not vegan but you'll see the person forgot to add cream so you could "forget" too, and obviously you don't need bacon or chicken broth .

http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2006...nion-tart.html

This type of tart used to be a favourite when I was a student as it's really cheap to make. Only thing is I'm not sure if it would be very nice cold

Ok, i couldnt find the one i have made but i have a recipe that sounds really nice but has quite a lot of ingredient in it.

Cauliflower and asparagus tart.
    Pastry
    300g self raising wholemeal flour
    1tsp vegan bouillon powder
    125ml rapeseed oil
    125ml rice or soya milk

Filling
    olive oil for frying
    1 medium cauliflower, broken into florets
    125g asparagus, trimmed
    2 red onions
    50g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
    125g frozen sweetcorn, mashed
    250ml sweetened soya milk
    250ml rapeseed oil
    1 lime, juice only
    2 tbsp porridge oats
    2 dessertspoons vegan bouillon powder
    2 tbsp tomato sauce
    1 tbsp dijon mustard
    smoked paprika and ground pepper.

1 oil a 30cm/12in flan or pie dish. Preheat oven 180c/350f/gas mark 4
    2 to make pastry, place flour and bouillon in a bowl and rub in oil, then mix in the milk. Knead the pastry gently for a few moments, the roll out, line pie dish and bake for 10-15 mins
    3 meanwhile, steam the cauliflower and asparagus until hot but not cooked-about 4-5 minutes.
    4 heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onions and mushrooms until soft. Add mashed sweetcorn and stir till hot.
    5 heat soya milk in a saucepan until hot but not boiling. Transfer to a food processor, add rapeseed oil, season with pepper and mix well. With the machine still running add lime juice and mix thoroughly to prevent curdling.
    6 add the oats, bouillon powder, tomato sauce and mustard to the milk mixture and blend again.
    7 oil the inner base of the pie crust, the spread a thin layer of the oat mixture over it. Place a layer of of the mushroom mixture on top, then a layer of the cauliflower, milk mix, followed by the remaining oat mix.
    8 arrange the asparagus on the top and sprinkle with paprika. Return the tart to the oven and cook for 20 mins.

How is the lunch box going, Wendy?

I like making pasties (savory turnovers) from whatever is left over. Anything involving potato is a hit. Could throw in a quiche filling; how did it yours taste?
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I have not been able to make one that he likes. He does like very tasty and fatty food. And a vegan quiche is less so without the cheese.

This one goes down well with non-vegans:

Shortcrust pastry case
    1 block standard tofu (like cauldron)
    Vegan cheese sauce powder mixed up to half a pint with cold soy milk - this might be hard to get outside UK.
    Mixture of vegan cheeses (not melting type!), cubed (about 200g or so)
    Two medium onions sliced
    Loaded teaspoon tahini
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    ground black pepper

Food process or mash tahini, cheese sauce, tofu, parsley, pepper until big lumps are gone.

Stir in cubed cheese and onion.

Taste and adjust seasoning if needed - cheddareze or parmezano might go well if not cheesy/salty enough.

Add to pastry case and bake for about half an hour.

Tips: Blue scheese is a bit too strong for this recipe. The Cheezly with bacon bits is excellent in it, combined with another cheese.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Pob View Post
    This one goes down well with non-vegans:

Shortcrust pastry case
    1 block standard tofu (like cauldron)
    Vegan cheese sauce powder mixed up to half a pint with cold soy milk - this might be hard to get outside UK.
    Mixture of vegan cheeses (not melting type!), cubed (about 200g or so)
    Two medium onions sliced
    Loaded teaspoon tahini
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    ground black pepper

Food process or mash tahini, cheese sauce, tofu, parsley, pepper until big lumps are gone.

Stir in cubed cheese and onion.

Taste and adjust seasoning if needed - cheddareze or parmezano might go well if not cheesy/salty enough.

Add to pastry case and bake for about half an hour.

Tips: Blue scheese is a bit too strong for this recipe. The Cheezly with bacon bits is excellent in it, combined with another cheese.

Pob's Keesh is EXCELLENT. He made it for me and it is gorgeous. Stunning. Wonderful. I don't even think it was just over excitement at being out without the chidlren either. It might have been overexcitement at seeing Mrs Pob, but I am fairly sure that excitement allowed for it was a MARVELLOUS keesh. MAKE IT!!!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

I don' think we have vegan cheese saucemixes. And non melting vegan cheese eather. What kind do you use?
    We do have Tofutti (which is very expensive) and that is it. We do have some melting Redwood slices, but it is not very tasty.
    With what can I substitute the Cheese?

Maybe a lot of nutritional yeast flakes ?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

Non-melting vegan cheese is the standard Cheezly or Scheese. Not the creamy kind. Best mix would be Cheezly with added bacon bits, and strong cheddar Scheese I reckon, but most of the other flavours would work too. I have no idea if you can get these.

This is the cheese sauce powder: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-..._Mix_130g.html

A teaspoon of Cheddareese mixed with 3 teaspoons of cornflour would substitute, or whatever mix you use to make a cheesy sauce.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

You lucky bastard. Nothing of the kind to find here
    I am from Belgium and there are a lot of vegan things here. But I think nothing in comparison with the UK or US.
    The nutritional yeast flakes do not have a cheese taste and isn't very succesful in my household.
    But both of you thanks for thinking with me. I just keep on trying.

If no cheese, any other flavors, then, we could play with? How about goulash or curry or pizza flavor.... plenty of ideas to fill those pastries that you so lovingly bake for your man (lucky lad).

I get away with some less-loved fillings because being hidden in the pasty, my man will always give it a big bite. He draws the line at carrots, though!
    There is leftover chile sin carne in the refrigerator that will be in a pasty for lunch.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair