Thread: Vegan moisturiser

Default Vegan moisturiser

Can anyone tell me of a reasonably priced vegan moisturiser? I wish I could fork out £7 a tube for a moisturiser for my body but unfortunately I cannot jutsify spending the amount when it all goes within a week. Or does anyone know how to make a moisturiser? I'd be prepared to make my own if anyone knows a recipe.

Thanks

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Default Re: Vegan moisturiser

Quote veganatheist78 View Post
    Can anyone tell me of a reasonably priced vegan moisturiser? I wish I could fork out £7 a tube for a moisturiser for my body but unfortunately I cannot jutsify spending the amount when it all goes within a week. Or does anyone know how to make a moisturiser? I'd be prepared to make my own if anyone knows a recipe.

Thanks
    I make my own body and facial moisturisers using Cocoa and coconut butter. Olive, avocado and sweet almond oils, adding my favourite essential oils.

I buy all my ingredients and containers at www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk

If you decide to make your own, shout and I'll give you the method.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

I know you've mentioned a price limit, but I buy Lush's Dream Cream. It's 9 pounds a tub but it lasts around 6 weeks for me, maybe 2 months- using it every morning and night on my hands and face and occasionally all over. So even though it sounds a bit steep, it really lasts, and is the best moisturiser I've found!

This recipe makes enough body and facial moisturiser for about 3-4months. You can store the ready made moisturiser in tupperware containers in the fridge , until ready to use. Place some moisturiser in a 60ml (recycled or bought) glass jar to use in your bath or bedroom. This prevents any bacteria getting into the larger quantity of moisturiser and spoilng.

500g Cocoa butter
    500g Coconut butter
    100mls Olive oil
    100mls Sweet Almond oil
    100mls Avocado oil
    20-30 drops your favourite essential oil

You can use any oils and butters of your choice in this recipe.

Method:

In a metal saucepan (used for butters only) melt the Cocoa and Coconut butters. When cooled slightly, add the Olive, Sweet Almond and Avocado oils and mix well.

Place the mixture into the tupperware and cool in the fridge until semi solid. Remove from the fridge and blend until smooth. Add the essential oils and place in fridge until use.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

I can add another vote for Lush's Dream Cream. Also, as I have skin that slightly misbehaves (prone to mild eczema), I like to use Simple Derma moisturiser. I have checked on their website, and most of Simple's products are vegan-friendly.

cobweb

i use the 'Simple' one now, around £3 from supermarkets.

Superdrug have some that are labelled vegan.
    http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/cooking4vegans

Holland and Barratt (and probably other places) sell Australian Organics tubes of moisturiser (they do a purple one for body, and a pink one for hands) - £3.99 for 200 ml.

I must also put in a word for Figs and Rouge - they don't fall into your price range at a tenner a pop, but my hands had been sooooo rough this winter, and their hand cream is really concentrated, and my nails look great. Plus they have a massive vegan logo on all their bottles

(Edited to add: All the bottles I'd seen, that is - be careful though, because some of the face stuff and balms apparently have bee stuff in them).
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Thank you so much everyone. And thank you 1gentlemaorispirit for the recipe. I think I'll try it out.

I had no idea that the Simple range was vegan. I've been a vegan for almost a year now and there's still so much to find out. I was so relieved when I discovered that the co-op's toiletries and household rpoducts are mainly vegan. Most of the vegan products I'd found before were extortionately expensive and I'd started worrying every time the toothpaste was about to run out because I'd have to spend £4 on another tube.

I might also try the Lush moisturiser in the meantime. I don't mind paying a little extra for something I only use on my face and hands. I just needed something cheaper for all over my body. I was using baby oil for a while until the skin on my arms turned red just after using it. It wasn't painful and it faded pretty quickly but it's never a good sign is it when your skin goes red after using a product!? The Jason moisturiser did the same thing as well. In fact the deodorant did as well. My skin seems to be getting more and more sensitive as I get older!

Thank you so much everyone. And thank you 1gentlemaorispirit for the recipe. I think I'll try it out.

I had no idea that the Simple range was vegan. I've been a vegan for almost a year now and there's still so much to find out. I was so relieved when I discovered that the co-op's toiletries and household rpoducts are mainly vegan. Most of the vegan products I'd found before were extortionately expensive and I'd started worrying every time the toothpaste was about to run out because I'd have to spend £4 on another tube.

I might also try the Lush moisturiser in the meantime. I don't mind paying a little extra for something I only use on my face and hands. I just needed something cheaper for all over my body. I was using baby oil for a while until the skin on my arms turned red just after using it. It wasn't painful and it faded pretty quickly but it's never a good sign is it when your skin goes red after using a product!? The Jason moisturiser did the same thing as well. In fact the deodorant did as well. My skin seems to be getting more and more sensitive as I get older!
    You're welcome! It's a rich thick cream, and a little goes a long way! It's very hydrating to the skin, as well as leaving skin soft and smooth.

Quote cobweb View Post
    i use the 'Simple' one now, around £3 from supermarkets.

Snap Cobweb!

I use it on my face too..........it's lovely rich and creamy!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

So all simple stuff is vegan? Head buried firmly in sand here.

I'm a cheapskate so I have been buying co-op baby lotion for something like £1-£2 roughly. It's vegan which means there aren't real babies in it. It's quite good for when my skin goes dry.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Well it's not all vegan. Their website lists the few products that aren't. I bought their refreshing facial cleanser today.

I tried baby lotion but it made my skin go red. I don't know whether it was the mineral oil or the perfume they put into it but I don't want to risk it.

Well it's not all vegan. Their website lists the few products that aren't.
    The majority of their products ARE vegan though, i.e. not tested on animals and containing NO animal ingredients!

As you say their website lists the FEW products that aren't.

I LOVE Simple products........I wish there were more companies like them.

I'm glad to have found this out. I was also happy to discover that Original Source products are vegan. It never occurred to me that there might be products in a regular supermarket that were suitable. I should have just read the packaging on these products. It would have saved me a lot of time!!!

for cheap stuff it's all about superdrug own brand stuff - they've got really good with their labelling now, with loads of stuff - moisturisers, shower gels, body sprays.. all labelled vegan. i'm using 'imperialis' from lush at the moment, but i don't like it - it smells horrible and it doesn't even make my skin feel particularly soft.. ? which i'm disappointed about because i bought it as a little treat for myself & it's well expensive! when i've used it all up i think i'm gonna switch back to amie's moisturiser - it's labelled vegan and can be bought from supedrug, boots & waitrose i think. it smells quite pretty & makes my skin feel nice, i think it's about a fiver for quite a small tube though.

That's good to know about Superdrug's own brand stuff Herbivorous bex!

That is good to know. I'll be popping along there tomorrow to check our their wares!

cxmnz

I'd recommend Lush's Charity Pot, it's a pretty big tub, especially compared to the rest of their moisturisers; about a tenner and after VAT the money goes to charities too (including a couple of animal rights/rescue ones). It's meant for all over, but I use it on my face and it's all good.

I don't like the way the Lush moisturisers are presented with you having to scoop it out (which means it gets under your nails, and you have to make sure your fingers are really clean). I'd much rather have it in a squirty bottle, like they do the testers in.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I use the Superdrug Vitamin E moisturiser and make-up wipes. They are definitely labeled vegan

I love the good old el cheapo vit e cream from superdrug! Have the body one too.

i like Co-op's own moisturiser but i haven't been able to find it anywhere recently.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

^ Gorilla I can't find the Co-op's foaming face wash either! Hope they haven't been discontinued?!?

Try some of the lush ones! They aren't the cheapest but i find them really economical and so work out cheaper. Plus they're effective and the staff should really help you to make sure you get the right one.

Plus they have an air tight non-animal testing policy and all products are clearly labelled as being vegan when they are vegan. (Some products have honey, lanolin, beeswax and those sort of things in)

The simple range is very good.

Not keen on the simple range myself, the face washes all contain sulfates in which i find too harsh for my facial skin, and the moisturisers have mineral oils in which i'm not keen on using.