Thread: Pate and sandwich filling recipes wanted, please.

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Default Pate and sandwich filling recipes wanted, please.

A friend is having a small get together next weekend and prefers to do a buffet style menu. She has asked me to help her prepare some of the foods, for those with food allergies.

I'm looking for pate & sandwich filling recipes that don't have mushrooms, tofu or nuts. I know this narrows it down a lot & I've searched online, and thumbed through my cook books and not come up with much.

Thanks in advance.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Default Re: Pate and sandwich filling Recipes wanted, please.

Are beans/pulses okay?

Some ideas from Rose Elliot's Vegan Feasts:

• Yeast extract ( / or with wafer-thin cucumber slices or cress)
    • Savoury vegetable pate ( / or with sliced cucumber)
    • Hummous ( / or with chopped black olives and cilantro / or with tomato slices and fresh basil) - lots of hummous recipes on here
    • Guacamole
    1 large ripe avocado, stoned
    2 tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped
    1/2 - 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
    1/4 bunch fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
    s & p

Mash avo, mix everything in, serve immediately to avoid discolouration.
    • Easy bean and herb pate
    1 can drained beans eg butter (Lima), red kidney, cannellini etc
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2-3 tbsp lemon juice
    pinch chilli or cayenne powder
    s & p
    1-2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs eg parsley, chives, coriander (cilantro) etc
    1 tbsp olive oil
    paprika to garnish

Crush the beans (fork, food processor, etc) then mix in everything and sprinkle paprika on to garnish.

• Mashed butter (Lima) beans (with chutney / or with tomato and onion slices)
    • Cucumber, lettuce, tomato, cress, grated carrot
    • Mashed cooked red kidney beans with salad
    • Grated carrot mixed with vinaigrette and chopped herbs or raisins
    • Mashed avocado with cooked asparagus tips (PS mashed avo tastes fab with garlic and black pepper, with chunky slices of beef tomato!)
    Hope the party goes well!

A family favourite for us is:
    Fry an onion or two; blend in one tin of chick peas and one tin of kidney beans with tomato ketchup to taste. Very quick and easy and tasty!

Thank you Est! Pulse and bean pates are exactly what I've been looking for. Bean/pulse and veggie pates are universal and offer a variety of tastes and textures to suit everyone. Thank you again,

Penny, Thank you! Your pate recipe sounds like a vegan mexican bean pate my OH bought for me months ago and hasn't found it since. I loved it in sandwiches with lettuce. Thank you, again
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Default Re: Pate and sandwich filling recipes wanted, please.

Hummus, falafel and salad wraps or pittas usually go down well.

Also, sliced onion bhajis, salad and chutney wrapped in chapatis (you can buy vegan bhajis and chapatis) although these could be a bit messy if people are going to eat them standing up

Quote harpy View Post
    Hummus, falafel and salad wraps or pittas usually go down well.

Also, sliced onion bhajis, salad and chutney wrapped in chapatis (you can buy vegan bhajis and chapatis) although these could be a bit messy if people are going to eat them standing up
    Thank you for the suggestions, harpy! I'm also making spring rolls and samosas, buying the bhajis and chapatis will save time.

Thoughts of chutney down the front of shirts and tunics, does make me smile!

I like to make sandwiches with sliced or mashed avocado, sliced tomatoes, vegan mayonnaise and pesto (you could just use fresh basil leaves instead of pesto to avoid the nuts), usually with panini or ciabatta bread. I've made them for parties before and they've gone down well.
    http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/cooking4vegans

sorry off topic - Derwenna I discovered your website yesterday and loved it - was looking all over for an about me section to try to find out who it was - couldnt find one but now the question is answered. Well done you!

Back on topic I go for the tin of any beans I have or chickpeas and then fry and onion - a large one as I like onion - bit of garlic - herbs usually mixed dried herbs from a jar - bit of marmite sub and whiz it all together with some seasoning and some tomato paste. Scrumdiddlyumptious, and also good on toast although it is a bit weird cos the toast is warm and the pate is cool
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Roasted Garlic & Aubergine pate

1 medium aubergine, cut into large dice
    1 red pepper, cut into large dice
    1 red onion, cut into large dice
    3 Tblsp Olive Oil
    1 Tblsp Tomato Puree
    6 cloves unpeeled garlic
    1/2 tsp salt
    Black Pepper (to taste)

Preheat oven to Gas 5 (190C), Put veg in large roasting dish with salt & pepper, cover with oil and roast for 25 mins, then turn veg, add garlic and roast for 20 mins more. When cool blend veg together, add Tomato paste and more salt & pepper if needed, blend again to consistency of your liking.
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

BlackCats

I'm going to try some of these recipes I think.:smile:

Thank you again everyone!

With all these and other tasty dishes on offer, it will be a feast to indulge and enjoy- greedily! *Salivates!*

have you had the get-together? how did it go?

sorry it's late but i have a recipe for butterbean spread and kidney bean spread on the forum here
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    have you had the get-together? how did it go?

sorry it's late but i have a recipe for butterbean spread and kidney bean spread on the forum here
    Gorilla, you post is very timely! My friend is doing another bash over Easter and asked me to help out again.

Sorry, I hadn't forgotten to post how the food went down (vey well!) as I've been busy doing to many things.

In short, I made up the pates and sandwiches/wraps with your recipes (thank you, again)and they went down a treat! What was so great was that the other guests were omnis and NOT one moaned that there was no meat! They had been told before hand that it was going to be vegan food, yet they all prefered the pate and sandwich fillings. One gentleman guest admitted he thought the pates tasted a million times better (his words) than the chicken/pork liver pates, he usually eats! I nearly fainted, I mean Mr Meat admitting this, liking it and wanting more?!?! There is hope yet!!!

I did ask why my friend wanted the food vegan, and she said although she is veggie (takes goats milk only. She has an allergy to nuts, soya.) she didn't want to contaminate any food I might eat, because of my allergies and ethics and she wanted to people to experience for themselves what vegan food is like.

When I popped into work on Monday he was stuffing his face with the few left over sandwiches and pates from Saturday! He was genuine! I know I shouldn't sound suprised and give the benefit of the doubt, but meat every meal is/was the be all and end all for him.

My friend and I made more food and we all took a share home.

Gorrilla, thank you, I will added your recipes to the menu.

This wan't very short, was it?

that's great, well done!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'