Thread: The Green House

Default The Green House

http://www.thegreenhousetring.co.uk

This is a new vegetarian restaurant in Tring, which is kinda near me! Please check it out!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Default Re: The Green House

Have you eaten there yet? The menu looks good. A group of us from Hertsveg (local vegan group) are going there on Sunday for a meal.
    Hopefully it will be better than the last local vegetarian restaurant I went to with my wife. That was a place called Woody's in Hemel. They do have vegan options and vegan cakes but I'm not too sure I trust them. The last time I went there I asked if the curry was vegan. I was told it was but then saw the chef get a bottle of milk from the fridge and pour some into the curry.The waitress came over and apologised. She said the chef had told her it was vegan but she had also seen him pour the milk into it and realised it wasn't. At least some of the staff understand what vegan means but it's a bit worrying when the chef doesn't.

No I haven't been there yet. Please post a review when you do!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Had a really nice meal there last Sunday. The service was very slow (waited over an hour for our food) but there was a group of 14 of us and apparently the restaurant was unexpectedly busy. They can cater for about 60 people (there are two floors) but so far they have usually been half full on a Sunday lunchtime. The day we went the restaurant was full and a lot of people had turned up without booking in advance. I wouldn't let this put you off though as several people for our group have been back since or had been before and I have been told that the service is usually very good. Hopefully they will learn from this experience and it is good that a vegetarian restaurant is so popular, particularly one catering so well for vegans

The menu changes regularly and there is a different evening menu but on the day we went the vegan options were as follows

Starter
    Soup of the Moment
    served with wholemeal bread £4.50

Mains

The Green House Chef's Salad
    with seasonal leaves , a choice of omega 3 dressings and tamari drenched seeds £5.95

Oven Baked Chickpea Falafel
    with fresh fruit couscous salad and sweet chilli sauce £7.50

Jacket Potato
    with home made baked beans topped with cheddar cheese £5.95
    (Said there was a vegan option but don't know what they replaced the cheese with, my daughter is a vegetarian so she had it with the cheese)

Sweet Potato
    with a tangy toasted sweet corn salsa and ratatouille £6.25

Kidney Bean and Chickpea Burger
    served on toasted wholemeal with a punchy guacamole and green salad £6.95

Special of the day
    Nut and bean roast served with roast potatoes, vegetables and onion gravy
    £9.25

Desserts

Raw apple pie served with cashew nut ice cream or oat cream

Cashew nut ice cream (strawberry, banana or vanilla)

Apple and Blackberry crumble with oat cream or cashew nut ice cream

sorry but I don't remember the prices of the desserts as I have a copy of the main menu but not of the dessert menu. I think they were about £5 each.

I went for a parsnip soup, roast meal and raw apple pie with cashew nut ice cream all of which were delicious. The ice cream wasn't sweet enough for my children's taste but seemed to go down well with the adults. The general feeling amongst our group (mainly vegan, a few vegetarians and 1 omnivore) was the the restaurant rated about 8/10 overall

It is well worth a visit and there is also a nice park in Tring if you fancy a pre meal walk to build up the appetite or a stroll afterwards.

Nice to see a vegetarian restaurant opening in Hertfordshire. We usually end up heading into London on the rare occasions when we go out for a meal (222 is my favourite restaurant, if you haven't eaten there I would highly recommend it, the food is 100% vegan)

I am looking forward to visiting the Green House again soon, my wife couldn't make it last time so it's a good excuse to go again, maybe I'll take a run out on the motorbike if the weather improves again and I can find someone to look after the kids.

That sounds like a great restaurant to have on your doorstep, AJG. Good review too.

helen105281

It looks great, I think someone from our group (North Herts Vegetarians and Vegans) went recently too and said it was good. Definitely one to try.

my parents took me out to the greenhouse on my birthday and it was awesome!! my dad (who is a meat eater) spent the whole journey there moaning about how he wasn't going to like any of the food but the ale pie he ordered even met his standards...
    me and mum had a roast dinner it was amazing!

Thanks for the link, will definitely be checking this one out at some point!

Been here twice and it's fab, although a bit pricey defo recomend it for a treat. I went in Dec for our wedding anni & had the Christmas meal type main course, it was massive & so could only manage the 'ice-cream' for pud but that was quite something, never had anything like it before. The food is beutifully presented and imaginative and it's lovely to be able to have wine with a meal (all the wines are vegan). Service great, even the loos are nice.

As you may tell, I'm was somewhat impressed!

Glad to read such rave reviews of this place. Hopefully my parents are going to take us to The Green House for my birthday treat (not until April, but I always plan for it well in advance!). Has anybody gone more recently?
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Did they close down? It said on their website that the last service was to be in December.

That's a big shame, they were pricey but the food was really nice and interesting. They cooked their chips in virgin organic coconut oil, which made an interesting change!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Yeah they have closed down which is really suprising because they were always busy when we went there.

Oh, bums! No way! What a shame. It was featured in a vegetarian magazine recently, as well.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

I was really surprised that they closed too. When we 'phoned to cancel, due to flu, we were told that they had lost £1200 the pervious night due to cancellations because of bad weather. The owner said that they weren't really sure why they had a down turn in custom as they had always had really good comments on the food.

I hate it when that happens!

There are rumours that The Greenhouse is planning a relaunch. Watch this space....

the greenhouse was a great restaurant! what a shame. hopefully they will be back soon