Thread: Vegan Dirt

Default Vegan Dirt

Does anyone know a good recipe for vegan dirt? I can't seem to find a good one. I was thinking about taking some chocolate pudding and crushing chocolate cookies with my coffee bean grinder and mixing them together, but I don't think that will have the same fluffy texture as dirt. Any better ideas?

Default Re: Vegan Dirt

Quote terem View Post
    Does anyone know a good recipe for vegan dirt? I can't seem to find a good one. I was thinking about taking some chocolate pudding and crushing chocolate cookies with my coffee bean grinder and mixing them together, but I don't think that will have the same fluffy texture as dirt. Any better ideas?
    Haha, I was so confused when I first saw this thread...I thought you were talking about dirt like the dirt that plants grow in. Why wouldn't it be as fluffy as dirt? What's usually in dirt? I thought it was usually a layer of chocolate pudding and then a layer of crushed Oreos (smashing with a hammer is most fun IMO ). Are you doing dirt and worms? I think I've seen vegan gummy worms in the health food store before.

Haha nah. I thought there was something special that goes into dirt to give it that fluffy texture, I guess not. Thanks mariana I'm making that tonight mmm

I don't like the gummy worms so much, just going to have it plain old dirt

Mahk

Sorry to be pedantic [who, me? ] but plants grow in soil. Dirt is what I collect under my finger nails.

Terem, what is it you are trying to make? I'm confused as usual.

Quote terem View Post
    Haha nah. I thought there was something special that goes into dirt to give it that fluffy texture, I guess not. Thanks mariana I'm making that tonight mmm

I don't like the gummy worms so much, just going to have it plain old dirt
    Not as far as I know. Though I'm not sure the best way to grind the cookies. I'm thinking if you do it in a coffee grinder it might be too fine (well, I guess it depends how you like your dirt), but smashing with a hammer does leave pretty big chunks. Anyway, enjoy! It sounds tasty! It's making me crave oreos, though....I've been craving them for the past few weeks and wishing oreos in the UK were vegan!

Quote Mahk View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic [who, me? ] but plants grow in soil. Dirt is what I collect under my finger nails.

Terem, what is it you are trying to make? I'm confused as usual.
    Oops, sorry!

It's a dessert (I remember eating it at a lot of parties as a kid). It consists of a layer of chocolate pudding, a layer of crushed Oreos, and a gummy worm or two on top. It's supposed to look like dirt and worms. Here's a picture.

Mahk

Oh, I see a dessert I've never seen, thanks.

Quote mariana View Post
    Though I'm not sure the best way to grind the cookies.
    Put cookies in a zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin or in lieu of that a glass bottle like a bottle of wine or a bottle of beer.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Oh, I see a dessert I've never seen, thanks.

Put cookies in a zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin or in lieu of that a glass bottle like a bottle of wine or a bottle of beer.
    You should try it sometime.

I think zip lock bag + hammer is the most fun way of crushing them, but maybe not the best way.

I use a big bowl and the end of a rolling pin to crush biscuits for cheesecake. Or the sealed plastic bag approach cos you can roll over them like you're rolling pastry.

Nice idea incidentally, once you get used to the idea of eating pretend soil. Kind of educational.

edit: though being a complete pedant, I'd want the earthworms to be the right colour

Quote mariana View Post
    I'm thinking if you do it in a coffee grinder it might be too fine (well, I guess it depends how you like your dirt), but smashing with a hammer does leave pretty big chunks. Anyway, enjoy! It sounds tasty! It's making me crave oreos, though....I've been craving them for the past few weeks and wishing oreos in the UK were vegan!
    I've it had with the cookie part really fine and it was delicious
    I'm not sure if you have them in the UK, but Nabisco Oreo Thin Crisps are vegan according to Peta's VegCooking Shopping Guide.

http://www.vegcooking.com/Guide8.asp...l=False&page=5

Quote mariana View Post
    You should try it sometime.

I think zip lock bag + hammer is the most fun way of crushing them, but maybe not the best way.
    I second that, it's really good Mahk.

I think I might also try the zip lock bag idea, fun fun

Mahk

Must...
    smash...
    cookies.

Hmm, let's see, zip locked bag air pocket + black cookie dust + hammer =

Be sure to get the really mean ones first!
    [OK, maybe the wrong kind of cookie for dirt, but he looks mean.]

Prep table.

Haha wow that is a huge stack of oreos, yum.

I made dirt lastnight and it was delish!

I used:
    2 5.9oz Jell-O Instant Pudding & Pie Filling Chocolate flavor
    6 cups (3 cups each) Nature's Promise Chocolate Organic Soy Milk
    18 Back to Nature Classic Creme Cookies

First I crushed the Creme cookies, putting 9 at a time into a zip-lock bag, bashing the hell out of them until they were crushed into little pieces.
    Then I emptied the two Jell-O mixes into a large bowl and poured the 6 cups of Chocolate Soy Milk into it. Unfortunately my bowl wasn't big enough so I ended up dividing the mix into two bowls. Then I whisked the Jell-O mix and soy milk and added the crushed cookies when it was really blended together. I put it in the refrigerator for a little while to let it settle, and it came out sooo good. My omni friend was so surpised that a vegan dessert could be so good hah.

The coffee grinder idea didn't work. The cookies aren't small enough to grind like coffee beans.

It wasn't the fluffy texture I was thinking of; the fluffy dirt I had recently at my university dining hall must have been mousse. If mousse is used I think the cookies would have to be grinded a lot finer to blend better.