Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pizza Hut

Default Pizza Hut

When i was Veggie i used to luuuurve eating at the hut.

I knwo you can go along and ask for a pizza without the cheese so that it's vegan, however, has anyone actually done this?

I mentioned it to a friends and he just laughed and said they'd probably say no. (he used to work at Pizza Hut).

It'd be an easy way not to miss out on social events, but i don't wanna go and look a dick.
    "Slice it up and dig in.. let the funeral begin.."

Default Re: Pizza Hut - Making a fool of yourself?

There's a long thread all about it here

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8864

Unfortunately I can't remember if the Pizza Hut bases are vegan, but someone else is sure to know. Pizza Express ones are vegan and they will put whatever you ask for on your pizza (within reason!).

Quote harpy View Post
    There's a long thread all about it here

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8864

Unfortunately I can't remember if the Pizza Hut bases are vegan, but someone else is sure to know. Pizza Express ones are vegan and they will put whatever you ask for on your pizza (within reason!).
    Thanks for the reply, but I already know what's Vegan and what isn't at Pizza Hut so that's not what i was asking!

I was asking if anyone else has actually gone in and asked for a cheeseless pizza only to be told 'no' or made to feel awkward because of asking for it (i.e waiter laughing and asking 'are you serious?')
    "Slice it up and dig in.. let the funeral begin.."

Buddha Belly

Quote d0od View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but I already know what's Vegan and what isn't at Pizza Hut so that's not what i was asking!

I was asking if anyone else has actually gone in and asked for a cheeseless pizza only to be told 'no' or made to feel awkward because of asking for it (i.e waiter laughing and asking 'are you serious?')
    I have been to Pizza Hut a few times and had cheeseless pizza, they have never said no to us. We have had it delivered too, they only mucked it up once and came back out with a replacement. You get your pizza quicker too as is quicker to cook.

I had a cheeseless pizza in Pizza Hut and yes, I had to go over the issue a few times with the waitress and she did think I was weird, but hey ho.

p.s the arrabiata pasta is vegan in Pizza Hut if you want to order something that's on the menu

Zero

Quote d0od View Post
    For some reason when you said "the hut" I couldn't help but think of this guy:

This Hutt isn't vegan, but it sounds like a few things at "the Hut" are.

I ask for pizza without cheese all the time, and only very rarely get a quizzical look! They even have a button for it on the till!!!! So many people are lactose intolerant, or are cutting down on fat, that it's not just us vegans who want to go cheeseless!!
    www . purplecobwebs . co . uk
    Selling handcrafted cards & gifts to help Viva!

I always ask in Pizza Express and no one has ever questioned it. I would give it a go in Pizza Hut too

Me too. I've asked for many a cheese-less pizza in pizza express and no-one's batted an eyelid. If they're nice, they give you extra toppings

Their mixed olives aren't vegan?? What the hell?

Ingredients - Green Olives, Black Olives, Spices, Seasonings, Acidity Regulator Citric Acid E330, Acidity Regulator Lactic acid E270, Olive Oil, Preservative E202, Potassium
    Sorbate

I've done so. If you are too shy to do so, you could always get a take-away and order it on their website. When placing your order online you can change your pizza toppings to "no cheese".

Buddha Belly

Just ask for no cheese. They are fine with it. Top tip though ask for a free extra topping to replace the cheese with.

they're not always so happy to give you a free topping to replace the cheese in my experience.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

When I was first a vegan, I used to go in all the time and ask for a pizza with no cheese but extra mushrooms and they were happy to do it. I haven't been there in years cos I thought their bases weren't vegan, having just read through that thread (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8864) and found out the bases are now vegan, I'm well chuffed. I've seriously missed Pizza Hut, pathetic I know, but the others just ain't up to it. You gotta love oily junk food sometimes. I don't like Pizza Express, too salty, and I find if I order a cheeseless one they hardly bother to cook it and in the centre the sauce is cold liquid.

Mmm cheeseless pizza is great!

Especially calzones. I get them just from my local cheap take away place and they're always happy to leave out the cheese.

Pizza Hut has a great allergen list on their website. I just had a multigrain crust pizza with red onions and green peppers and pizza sauce to top it.
    http://www.pizzahut.com/Files/pdf/Up...2004.17.09.pdf
    Yummy.

leedsveg

Just received a leaflet from the local Pizza Hut with 2 new pizzas and this is how they are described:

'FEELING SINFUL? THE 7 SINS MEAT PIZZA. Our meatiest and most indulgent pizza yet. So devilishly tasty, will you be tempted to sin? (Steak, chicken, bacon, spicy pork sausage, ham formed from cuts of pork leg with added water, pepperoni, spicy beef reformed cuts of beef with added soya and sesoning. Devilishly tasty.) Leaflet shows a picture of flames.

FEELING GOOD? THE VIRTUOUS VEG PIZZA. Our most delicious combination of vegetables yet. So divinely tasty, will you be worthy? (Spinach, mushrooms, mixed peppers, red onions, tomato, black olives-may contain stones, available with or without green chillies. Simply divine.)' Leaflet shows a picture of fluffy clouds.

What a crock of sh*te. I notice that they are only available until 3 January ('Hurry, only available until 3 January.') but I'm wondering if they're cashing in on Halloween. (When I was a kid in Sheffield in the 1940s/1950s, Halloween meant nothing to me, I was only interested in Bonfire Night (November 5th). These days, Asda has whole rows full of tacky Halloween tat and I have to wonder who buys such overpriced junk.)

Anyway, I thought it interesting that eating 'meat' is tied in with 'sin', whereas eating 'vegetables' is linked to 'virtue'. Of course the day after Halloween is All Saints Day and perhaps on that day, the Pizza Hut branch nearest the Vatican, does a roaring trade serving The Virtuous Veg Pizza!

leedsveg

Ive went to little ceasars and asked for cheeseless pizza before , they let me add another veggie topping in the cheeses place.
    I am the Devil, and I'm here to do the Devils work.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Anyway, I thought it interesting that eating 'meat' is tied in with 'sin', whereas eating 'vegetables' is linked to 'virtue'.
    Their thinking is probably that vegetables connote "healthy" and "slimming" whereas meat connotes "fattening" and possibly "carcinogenic", don't you think? (Mind if you if they are taking a moral standpoint on it I would be happy to be proved wrong )

Zero

Quote Panzer View Post
    Ive went to little ceasars and asked for cheeseless pizza before , they let me add another veggie topping in the cheeses place.
    Brings back memories, I used to go there when I lived in Denver, the pizza is pretty good and quite cheap compared to most places

My favorite pizza place was Il Vicino though, wood oven pizza mmmm. There isn't one in West Virginia though unfortunately. The nearest one to you is all the way over in Clayton, MO.

Quote harpy View Post
    Their thinking is probably that vegetables connote "healthy" and "slimming" whereas meat connotes "fattening" and possibly "carcinogenic", don't you think? (Mind if you if they are taking a moral standpoint on it I would be happy to be proved wrong )
    I am sure they are just equating it to being tasty unhealthy, just like when you see anything really chocolaty and full of calories as sinful "chocolate cake" or "devils food".

We find it disgusting,but if you can put yourself in the shoes of an average meat eater for a minute it becomes something tasty.

Quote Panzer View Post

Little Ceasars dough is vegan?

I almost wrote douche...oops...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

phact0rri

I always get looked at strange when I go into a pizza place and ask for a cheeseless pizza. really haven't done it in a while, since there are actual vegan pizza places around here. but people working would be like "alright... if you want that."

I actually use to work in an American/Italian bistro and made pizzas a lot, and actually convinced the owner to stock vegan cheeses. all my vegan friends came in all the time, and a few of them started working there. it was ace.

Yes, I remember a place I went to in some remote corner of Florida making a big performance out of doing a pizza without cheese. Maybe cheese is a more integral part of American-style pizza, but in Italy there are some pizzas that are made without cheese anyway (e.g. in Naples you can get something called a pizza rossa that's just made with tomato for instance - have eaten a few of those!).

Zero

Quote missbettie View Post
    Little Ceasars dough is vegan?
    Yes

Quote Little Caesar's website

For the Strict Vegetarian Diet (Vegan Diet)
    A strict vegetarian diet requires a little more planning for nutritional adequacy because it may require special conditions such as no animal by-products. Little Caesars' pizza crust is made with a quality, high-protein flour and contains no animal products or by-products. The sauce is made from crushed tomatoes and is seasoned with a special blend of herbs and spices - it also is made without animal by-products. This means that customers who are strict vegetarians can order a Little Caesars vegetable pizza, without cheese, and still fulfill their needs.

There are other items that can be special-ordered from our menu that are acceptable for a strict vegetarian diet. For example, Crazy Bread® can be ordered without Parmesan cheese along with an order of Crazy Sauce® on the side.
    Source: http://www.littlecaesars.com/pizza/vegetarian_pizza.asp

I like how they refer to "strict vegetarian" and vegan as the same thing, that's quite unusual in my experience.

I almost wrote douche...oops...
    Haha
    Last edited by Zero; Oct 8th, 2009 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Zero View Post
    I like how they refer to "strict vegetarian" and vegan as the same thing, that's quite usual in my experience.
    I have a book that uses the term 'strict vegetarian' to describe people who don't eat gelatine and animals fats, but do eat ovo/lacto products.

Its very confusing.... can't everyone just go vegan?
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

yay!!! They have 5 dollar pizzas!!!! YAY!!!! you are my favorite person right now Zero!

Zero

yay!!! They have 5 dollar pizzas!!!! YAY!!!!
    I know it! I miss those cheap tasty pizzas!

you are my favorite person right now Zero!
    Only "right now"??? I'm disappointed

well...you are pretty awesome... okay okay you're just my favorite person period.

phact0rri

I was always under the thought that Strict vegetarian was the diet portion of living vegan. On the aeroplanes and in books I've read its always been like that.

^ thats what I thought too.

Ditto on the easy experience of getting cheese-less pizzas at Pizza Hut. Never once had a problem.

Take care everyone!
    Jasmin

I've gotten Pizza Hut Pizza w/out cheese once, while travelling through rural Texas years ago. I'd been vegan for years by then, and I just ordered with confidence. They gave me what I ordered. No fuss. No nothing.

I order vegan pizza around here (ann arbor) all the time. Well, when I have enough cash, that is. Most places here have a special button for cheeseless, as has been mentioned.

Do it! Order the cheeseless pizza! Do it confidence. No one will give you a hard time. Especially if you hold the money.
    context is everything

BlackCats

I went into Pizza Hut yesterday as all the restaurants at the O2 were full so we had to go to North Greenwich instead and I asked for a cheese free pizza and the waiter repeated what I said back to me in surprise. The pizza came piled high with lots of veggies though.

(The salad bar was a bit crap though.)

I used to work at Pizza Hut years ago and still have great memories of their sauce. They don't however do wholemeal bases and I can't get on with white flour at all.

Cheeseless pizza however is great when possible.

yay!!! They have 5 dollar pizzas!!!! YAY!!!!
    Not here in Vegas.

They tried telling me the $5 deal was only good for "pre-made standard" pizzas. Well, I'm waiting for the email response from LC corporate office before I go stomping back to the store

I've read that Papa John's dough and sauce are vegan. They don't have any Papa John's in Buffalo where I go to school, that I know of. But I can't wait to go home to Brooklyn and order a cheese less veggie pizza from my local Papa John's.

The Lurker

I go to pizza hut all the time (I have kids . . .) and have a cheeseless pizza - ive never once had a reaction to it . . . i do the same in pizza express.

I wish dominos were vegan though, they are much lovelier . . .

I agree about Dominos and at this very moment in time I'm communicating via email with them regarding the fact that their bases aren't vegan. I have been assured it is something they are looking into..............let's hope it doesn't take too long.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

helen105281

I always find our Pizza Hut a bit hit and miss. Sometimes there are loads of toppings and other times hardly any. We ordered pizza the other night and I think I onl had about 5 bits of onion and 5 bits of sweetcorn.

I find that too Helen.
    We are ordering Pizza Hut tomorrow night and are going to have to order extra toppings to insure an adequate amount of onions, mushrooms etc.
    We even have to ask for extra tomato sauce topping................you would think if they are leaving off the cheese they would put the extras on free of charge.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

helen105281

You would think so wouldn't you, is annoying. But other times have been great so I shouldn't moan.

Quote d0od View Post

I knwo you can go along and ask for a pizza without the cheese so that it's vegan, however, has anyone actually done this?

I mentioned it to a friends and he just laughed and said they'd probably say no. (he used to work at Pizza Hut).

It'd be an easy way not to miss out on social events, but i don't wanna go and look a dick.

i did this today, it was lovely. i ordered a margherita with 5 toppings no cheese.... medium italian and left the crusts so it wasn't too high in calories.

Pizza hut is yum, and they are pretty good when you ask for no cheese. We went for one the other week, replaced the cheese for spinach and they were fine with it. The girl just asked us about it at the till because she was interested what it tasted like more than anything else.

They're fine about doing it wherever I've been, and the one I've been to most often is in a small(ish) town. For all they know you're lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy, so they're not gonna say no to that.

Last pizza I ate out was at Pizza Express, they were more than happy to do a cheeseless pizza for us. Only problem I had was seeing the same greasy cutting wheel being used to slice my pizza that had been used to cut up the previous cheese pizza's, it really put me off.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

yes I've had a cheeseless pizza there, no probs.......I just asked for it without cheese. They overcooked the first one so I had to wait a bit longer for another but since then they've been ok

OMG I love pizza hut! Whenever we go there I always ask for a cheeseless pizza, the girl always asks me if I'm allergic and I usually say yes. I have since learned that they will either use a separate cutter or wash the one they've used on the cheese pizzas.

I don't ever feel embarrassed asking for cheeseless pizza, one reason is that with all the allergies everyone seems to have these days, they're pretty used to requests like that. Not like years ago when you got persecuted and then stoned for death for asking for anything out of the ordinary.

The one time I was there and they learned I was vegan, they put extra olives and wedges in the starters for me as they admitted that they don't cater for vegans especially well. I thought that was quite nice of them.

I really like their bases, the dough in the deep pan pizzas is always fresh-tasting. It's probably from frozen but I don't care because it's yummy, unlike the thin crust ones which are awful in comparison.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

Quote Risker View Post
    the same greasy cutting wheel being used to slice my pizza that had been used to cut up the previous cheese pizza
    Yuk. I only really have pizza at Pizza Express and they serve the pizzas uncut.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell