Thread: National March and Rally in London

Default National March and Rally in London

National March and Rally in London
    to mark
    World Day for Laboratory Animals

Saturday 25th April 2009

Meet 12 noon, Hyde Park, Reformers' Tree, nr Speakers' Corner (Tube: Marble Arch)
    For details of transport and publicity see below)

To mark World Day for Animals in Laboratories, campaigners from all over the UK and beyond will be gathering in London on April 25 to call for an end to animal experiments. Following a march from Hyde Park through the centre of London, where we intend to take the anti-vivisection message to large numbers of shoppers, tourists and residents, we will then hold a rally at Parliament to protest against the government’s pro-vivisection policies.
    This will most likely be the largest anti-vivisection protest for many years, so please make every effort to attend, see below for details of transport and publicity etc. It is now over 10 years since Labour was voted into government but any hopes that they would carry out their pre-election promises on animal experiments have long vanished. Soon after coming to power, the Government abandoned plans to hold an official inquiry into animal experimentation claiming this would be too costly. At the same time the Labour Party was accepting millions in party donations from powerful figures in the biotech and pharma industries, who were in return given key government positions and life peerages
    In the intervening years this has allowed the drug companies to wield huge influence over government policy. Far from the promised reduction and end of vivisection, in the past 3 years the number of animal experiments has actually started to increase for the first time since the 1970’s.

Meanwhile the Government continues to ignore growing scientific evidence that animal experimentation is a seriously flawed practice. There are fundamental physiological differences between different species, and even within species, which make animal testing unreliable and dangerous. Side effects from medical drugs are responsible for 18,000 deaths in the UK every year, the fourth biggest cause of premature death after heart disease, cancer and stroke. Yet all of these drugs were passed as “safe” following tests on animals. Animal experiments have no place in 21st century science. The longer the scientific community denies this, the more shame it will bring upon itself.
    This is the first time in years that the anti-vivisection movement has held a march in London to mark World Day, in previous years such marches attracted crowds of thousands. The march on 25 April is intended to revive the spirit of those earlier marches, to unite and mobilise the anti-vivisection movement, to attract new campaigners and to take the antivivisection message out to the public and to the heart of government.
    It’s clear that we cannot rely on the government or the vivisectors to take the necessary action to put an end to this huge scandal. Please join us on 25 April and let’s make our voices heard for the millions of forgotten victims of vivisection.

Publicity We have posters and leaflets available to advertise the march, which we can send you by post or you can download from the website. Please help us to spread the word by distributing them to friends and fellow campaigners, or by placing them in places such libraries, health food shops, community centres, offices etc. To order leaflets and posters, please contact us using the details below. We have A5 colour leaflets 2-sided and A3 posters (see left). Download To download leaflet from the website go to http://www.wdail.org/flyer-poster.htm

Transport There will be transport from all over the country to the march and rally, please contact us for more information

Other events. We are planning other events during the World Day weekend, including a info/social event in the evening in London after the march from 6pm to midnight.

Donations: The march and rally and other events for World Day in London are being organised by a coalition of individuals and grass-roots groups. Please consider making a donation to help us make the events a big success. Send Cheques/PO’s (payable to WDAIL) to WDAIL, BM Box 8623, London WC1N 3XX.

This website will be updated with information over the coming weeks and months, so check in for more info soon, or contact us if you have any questions. We'll also be sending out regular email info updates, if you want to receive these directly let us know. [/SIZE]

See you in London on April 25th.

World Day Organising Group

WDAIL: BM Box 8623, London WC 1N 3XX.
    Email: info@wdail.org
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=605405289#/event.php?eid=55647110694&ref=ts

The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Default Re: National March and Rally in London

Unfortunately I'm away at a festival this weekend. Although I think it's important people know about it and attend, even if your normal activities do not include animal rights.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Stu

Thanks for the info, Emzy.

i'm going to be there! who else is going?

I'd like to go but don't know anyone who will come with me so would be great if a bunch of us Forumers could meet up there (although I haven't met any of you yet!) I've never been on a demo/ march before but having just been to Monkeyworld and seen animals that were used in labs face to face I feel like I have to be there.

Wooden Shoe

Quote kasitera View Post
    I'm going to be there! who else is going?
    Me!! Got a coach going from Leeds and Sheffield, if anyone from around these parts wants a place on it, please get in touch! I wouldn't mind meeting up with some forum folk, could be a little tricky logistics wise though... who knows. I hope you do end up going though VeganMonkey, what ever happens :smile:.

Oh, and I'd be pretty pleased if I bumped into you there too, Kasitera!

I'm hoping to go

Thanks Emzy
    I'm definitely going to try my hardest to get there!