Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SSOV shop in London

Default SSOV shop in London

For those of you that dont know, the Secret Society of Vegans are opening a shop in Camden this month.

heres a link to their blog where they talk more about it:

http://www.secretsocietyofvegans.co....ndex.php/blog/

Im excited

Default Re: SSOV shop opening in london!!!!!

"Just to let you know that we should get more vegan condoms in stock soon. We are also trying to get more Peanut Chews"

All sounds very interesting, although I don't think I've heard of the SSOV before. ETA so it's a well-kept secret.

How exciting!!!

Quote harpy View Post
    "Just to let you know that we should get more vegan condoms in stock soon. We are also trying to get more Peanut Chews"
    What more could you want!?

Quite, Cherry. I thought from the way they put it that they must be connected in some way but I'm stumped. Although both are chewy I suppose.

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

LOL at Harpy - reminded of the graffitti on the condom vending machine in my local: "This is the worst chewing gum I ever tasted!".

apparently the shop is now open. i'll try to visit next time i'm in London. i had a chocolate cream sandwich biscuit from their stall at the Brighton vegan fayre and it was lovely.

i'm regretting not buying one of their 'saving unicorns' t-shirts now too so i think one of those may be in order.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

helen105281

We had a peer through the shutters yesterday and it looks good.

BlackCats

I went in there today and the shop is really small. I just walked in and awkwardly moved around the T-shirts on the rack and walked out again.

Hmm, doesn't sound like it's worth making a special trip for Blackcats? Maybe they will get more stock (I know they are meant to be getting footwear from Vegetarian Shoes) but it doesn't sound like they have the space for it! I hope they have a changing room as the only advantage over just ordering online is being able to try on the t shirts before buying ... oh and I suppose not having to pay postage is the other advantage....
    Feel we should support them though. Is 'vegan' explicit on the front of the shop? Perhaps it will be positive in raising the vegan profile in an area where most people are open to 'alternative' lifestyles?

BlackCats

I think/hope they will probably get more stock in. I might go back there when I need new shoes because someone said they sell them cheaper there than in Brighton because you don't get charged for delivery. I probably just felt a dork in the shop because I was on my own. I would go back there though when I have some spare money.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I went in there today and the shop is really small. I just walked in and awkwardly moved around the T-shirts on the rack and walked out again.
    Same here. They had a few different types of sweets and a rack of t-shirts. TBH, I'd have been very annoyed if I had made a special trip.

I did get some other awesome stuff in Camden though... so all good

No, but did have a bite of my OHs falafel from the (vegan) bar up in the market Yomp

I popped in on saturday and got a rather awesome mug and some biccies They are getting more stock in this weekend.

Oh and if anyones on Facebook there is a SSOV gifts application, you can send vegan biscuits to all your friends

went there today and got myself a nice sweater
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

I feel a trip to Camden coming on, so I can pop in

Where is it in Camden? Is it in the market?

oh aye
    Gwydiiiiiiiiiion, that has to be remedied - you must have cake !!!

Quote alisont View Post
    Where is it in Camden? Is it in the market?
    http://www.secretsocietyofvegans.co.uk/cts/

It’s easy to find us. We are located in the Camden Market Hall, just in front of Camden Town tube station. Camden Market Hall (Unit 29), 201 Camden High Street, London NW1 7BT
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Stu

Yeah, it's right in the far back corner, tucked away where nobody will see it! They don't sell a huge amount of stuff, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

they are really in the far back corner. i was just there to check out what their shop looks like. really not much sold, but i really like it they are there - "vegan presence" LOL
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Default Secret Society of Vegans (SSOV) New Shop

I know loads of people have been to the new shop on Caledonian Rd (No 73, nr King's Cross) but I couldn't see an actual thread about it...

Anyway, I popped into the new SSOV shop today on my way home and had a nice chat with Mr. SSOV. He said that he was soon going to open up the downstairs as a cafe, with cakes and sandwiches and stuff Ace.

They have quite a few shoes, and he said that if you see shoes on the BBoheme website that you can ask him to get them in so you can try them. They had loads of T-shirts, and all the usual aprons and mugs and belts. Best of all, LOADS of peanut chews, chocolates and biscuits and a couple of big freezers full of frozen lasagne type things and burgers. They usually have cakes, but they'd sold out of those. They also had vegan dog food and dog treats, which I wasn't expecting them to sell.

(I've been home less than an hour and seem to be half way through a big box of peanut chews already May have to go back next weekend ... )
    Last edited by Korn; Mar 7th, 2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

not got round there yet myself, I intend to though when my money comes through

so unfair!!!! I hate that there are soooo many great sounding vegan places in North London. I'm in Kingston and with a wee baby, it isn't too easy to get to Camden. Just jealous and also frustrated that their isn't much this end of the town. Well except to Bourgeous Boheme. You guys are so lucky in Camden.

I live in tooting so it's a trip up the northern line or the thameslink, or a couple of buses for me.
    I always think of Camden as being sort of central London anyway

Does this shop on Calendonian Road replace the one in Camden Market or is it as well as? I am going to London next month to visit a friend and I would like to go to the SSOV shop.
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

it replaces it, they're closed on mondays too.

^ Thanks Bradders. I will be there on a Saturday so should be ok then. I feel some shopping coming on!!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Oh, whingers.... some of us don't even live in London

When I went to see the Camden market stall it was very small and a waster journey as I didn't buy anything... I'm hoping this new store will be a lot better
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

I wasn't whinging

I went in on Sunday. It was my second visit, but the first was a bit rushed and I was with a large group so spent a bit more time in there Sunday. Chatted with Mr. SSOV and played with the dog (so cute!) and fed her a treat. I got a free poster for following them on twitter! The shop is small but I think they're opening the downstairs (once they get sofas and tables in) this Sunday or next week. Was told they'll start serving coffee (yum!!!) and cake downstairs, even specialty drinks like marshmallow lattes. They will also do soya milkshakes with peanutty chews or trios (like oreos) mixed in. He told me they usually have discounts on baked goods on Sundays since the shop's closed Mondays and they need to sell them.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Oh, whingers.... some of us don't even live in London

When I went to see the Camden market stall it was very small and a waster journey as I didn't buy anything... I'm hoping this new store will be a lot better
    I'm definietly whingeing lol.
    Got there today though and stocked up on those Oreo type cookies. was very tempted by the frozen section but would have melted by the time I got home. They are going to open downstairs and have a cafe this Sunday.
    Also got to play with the little doggy.So sweet.
    They're also going to get more dress shoes in from Bourgeouis boheme as well. Going to enjoy my biccies now

Default Re: SSOV shop in London

I do hope one day that those yummy squishy cakes - are they called whoopsies or something? hope they are available on mail order and the frozen meals plus the French soft cheese...........

..........otherwise Il have to hope one of you kind people might get me some and post it to me and Il send the postage/payment (or Il have to try and get to London again one weekend!)

We need a SSOV shop in Birmingham

Quote bellybuddha View Post
    I'm definietly whingeing lol.
    Got there today though and stocked up on those Oreo type cookies. was very tempted by the frozen section but would have melted by the time I got home. They are going to open downstairs and have a cafe this Sunday.
    Also got to play with the little doggy.So sweet.
    They're also going to get more dress shoes in from Bourgeouis boheme as well. Going to enjoy my biccies now
    Were you in the store at around 11am? With cutey baby?

See, this is why I love this forum.

People going there are reporting 'Yay there was vegan food' quickly followed by 'yay doggies' Y'all my kind of people
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote alisont View Post
    I do hope one day that those yummy squishy cakes - are they called whoopsies or something? hope they are available on mail order and the frozen meals plus the French soft cheese...........
    He told me that he was thinking about selling EVERYTHING online, including the frozen things, but I don't know when that will be. I had a frozen pesto lasagne but I didn't like it at all. Has anyone tried the other frozen things?

Bellybuddha, what were the oreo type cookies like? I had my eye on those I instead went for the Paskesz chocolate coated wafers, hoping they would be like kit-kats, but they weren't at all.

I'll be changing at King's Cross later... so I think I'll have to pop in and re-stock the peanut chews

I went in there briefly the other day and the cute dog was shaking the bejaysus out of a rubber rat. I think his vegan credentials are a bit suspect

Quote Cherry View Post
    He told me that he was thinking about selling EVERYTHING online, including the frozen things, but I don't know when that will be. I had a frozen pesto lasagne but I didn't like it at all. Has anyone tried the other frozen things?

Bellybuddha, what were the oreo type cookies like? I had my eye on those I instead went for the Paskesz chocolate coated wafers, hoping they would be like kit-kats, but they weren't at all.

I'll be changing at King's Cross later... so I think I'll have to pop in and re-stock the peanut chews
    Cherry, I got the Oreo like cookies too and I really like them. They taste very similar to Oreos (I should know as I just ate a pack of Oreos I brought back from the States ).

Quote harpy View Post
    I went in there briefly the other day and the cute dog was shaking the bejaysus out of a rubber rat. I think his vegan credentials are a bit suspect
    Haha.

Quote mariana View Post
    Cherry, I got the Oreo like cookies too and I really like them. They taste very similar to Oreos (I should know as I just ate a pack of Oreos I brought back from the States ).
    Thanks Mariana I'll definitely get some then, if there are any left

I went to this shop yesterday, it was ace! Chatted to the lovely guy, and bought a t-shirt and some cliff and luna bars, and a wonderful little vegan cake (it was like a fairy cake with nutella-type stuff in the middle, awesome). Looking forward to going back when the downstairs is open.
    Jen

made it there today got two bags of burgers and bag of nuggets all for just £10 and grabbed a box of yummy nommy biscuits

Are their prices on food things sensible?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

12 beefy burgers, 8 chix burgers and a bag of nuggets for a tenner is reasonable I think,
    the ready meals are around the £3 mark, been so long since I bought a ready meal I'm not sure if that's reasonable or not.
    Largish boxes of biscuits are round about the £3.50 mark.
    Canned drinks are a lot cheaper in places like as nature intended though costing 90p.

Quote Troutina View Post
    Were you in the store at around 11am? With cutey baby?
    Yes that was indeed me! hello. Was that you bringing in waffles?

Cherry, I'm not sure how the biccies really were. I opened one packet and they were slightly soft. I can't tell whether they are supposed to be like that or if perhaps they were a little stale?? I''ve got quite a few biccies left in my tin box so haven't opened the other two packets I bought. Well had to stock up since I hardly go into London lol. I thought they would be quite crunchy. Can anyone help? are they supposed to be crunchy or slightly soft?

Quote bellybuddha View Post
    Yes that was indeed me! hello. Was that you bringing in waffles?
    Yes that was me! Hello! Haha.
    The fudge Trios I bought were slightly soft, but still really yum. The original flavour were crunchier.

I bought fudge and double filled Trios a couple of weeks back - both were equally crunchy (and almost identical to Oreos).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I bought the fudge trio ones for a friend (I hope they were ok!), and got some of the Rakusen's chocolate chip sandwich ones for us. Definitely recommended