Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SSOV shop in London

Default Re: SSOV shop in London

I've been enjoying the 'teeny bits' the last few days, rather nice and for those with jewish friends a great way of giving them vegan goodies.
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

I didn't like those at all! I was expecting kitkat or manner wafer type thing though so maybe I didn't give them a fair trial. I was also alarmed at the use of bright orange colouring for the wafers! Surely no need!? Stu thought they were ok though.

I think of them as being like the pink wafers you used to get as a kid coated in soft chocolate. There's no need and maybe the colouring will give some children fits but never mind lol.

Troutina, I was eyeing up your waffles. They looked really yum. Are you going to be making them for ssov?

I got the original Trios and they are crunchy (even a week after I opened them, but I have been keeping them in a sealed bag most of the time) and very Oreo-like. On Sunday I tried what I think was a coconut chocolate menosh. It was quite yummy. I also got a sneak preview of the downstairs area. Looks like it will be quite a nice spot to hang out and have coffee & cake when it's done! Am really excited to try marshmallow lattes.

Enough about the bloody biscuits - tell me more about the dog!

Seriously though, tell me a bit more about the frozen stuff. Is it individual ready meals or ingredients?

they have complete individual ready meals and things like burgers and nuggets

I managed to get myself down here today. I had a peanut butter whoopie, which was very tasty. I had a conversation with the people there about how peanut butter and chocolate whoopie would be a good conversation.

I also bought a packet of Trios, some nutty chews (very nice, although the glued my jaws together), a Fresh hummus sandwich, some Booja Booja truffles, a unicorn bag and some dog food ( for James' sister's dog).

Quote bellybuddha View Post
    Troutina, I was eyeing up your waffles. They looked really yum. Are you going to be making them for ssov?
    Yes! They start being sold tomorrow for the grand opening of the lounge; they're gingerbread flavour at the moment, but I might start trying out different flavours. Will go super well with all the amazing flavoured coffees and hot chocolates which are being sold too!

Vegan waffles? I must go - I haven't had a waffle for many a long year (except for a potato one )

Quote harpy View Post
    Vegan waffles? I must go - I haven't had a waffle for many a long year (except for a potato one )
    Yes, go and try one! I'm pretty sure the plan was to start selling them tomorrow. Maybe with squirtee cream!

I don't think I'll get there over the weekend because I have a mountain of work to do. Are you going to be supplying them with waffles as a regular thing? (And is it art? )

Quote harpy View Post
    I don't think I'll get there over the weekend because I have a mountain of work to do. Are you going to be supplying them with waffles as a regular thing? (And is it art? )
    Haha not art, definitely edible! We'll see how popular they are I suppose, but plan is to have them there every week I think.

That would be brilliant Troutina. Today is the opening of their downstairs bit is it?

Quote harpy View Post
    That would be brilliant Troutina. Today is the opening of their downstairs bit is it?
    Yes! The lounge is really nice, and they've got amazing hot drinks!

That's great Troutina! will definetly try them out next time I'm there.

Vegan KitKat:
    http://www.nestle.ca/en/products/brands/KitKat/dark.htm
    (I bought the Paskesz too )

We had a good time in the shop, the man bought some shoes and a hat; looking forward to the "lounge". They said though, that they're not making any food on site (to comply with health and safety, yada yada). Didn't think to ask where they are having it made.

Quote refinnej View Post
    Vegan KitKat:
    http://www.nestle.ca/en/products/brands/KitKat/dark.htm
    (I bought the Paskesz too )

We had a good time in the shop, the man bought some shoes and a hat; looking forward to the "lounge". They said though, that they're not making any food on site (to comply with health and safety, yada yada). Didn't think to ask where they are having it made.
    Most of the fresh cakes and whoopies are made by Vegan Cottage:

http://www.vegancottage.co.uk/

SO GOOD!

Quote Troutina View Post

SO GOOD!
    I just found this out the other day and have ordered some - the whoopies are so great

Quote Troutina View Post

SO GOOD!
    Yep. Was more curious about the tea, milkshakes, etc. Maybe they can make those there because it's not "cooking"?

Quote refinnej View Post
    Yep. Was more curious about the tea, milkshakes, etc. Maybe they can make those there because it's not "cooking"?
    I think that it's to do with food preparation?
    If you use your kitchen to prepare food then it uses different rules to one which is simply serving prepared foods.

I was there today. I had a very tasty white latte with marshmallow flavour and a waffle with it. I've never had a waffle before so I don't know what they are meant to be like, it was very big but I wasn't blown away. I think it was heated in the microwave (I'd assumed waffles were toasted, I'm probably wrong on that) it was quite soft and the squirty cream which was all over it had mostly melted into a milky liquid before I got it, making it rather soggy. I don't think I'd have it again.
    The seating area is very sparse and basic, it's probably not quite finished and hopefully it will get more homely in time (the bench could do with some cushions to lean back on).

I bought 3 whoopies and they were all very stale, I was very disappointed and will return them tomorrow if I have time. If I hadn't had some delicious ones previously I'd assume they were just horrid things and never buy them again. They had a best before date of 28/3 so maybe the company making them are being a little over optimistic about their shelf life.

They now have vegan cream eggs in stock too.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Marrers, you mustn't be rude about the waffles, Troutina makes them! Sounds as if the heating and cream-spraying process needs attention, you should offer them some consultancy Troutina I'm still going to try them as soon as I can get up there.

I must admit however to not really having liked the whoopies I bought there a couple of weeks back (though I personfully at them both anyway ). I thought it was because they were too sweet, but perhaps they weren't fresh enough. Still, you'd expect the odd teething problem wouldn't you?

I wrote a post about last week's trip to SSOV a few days ago, but my computer helpfully decided to reboot itself to install a (useless?) update before I had time to submit.

Overall I really like SSOV and hope it succeeds.

I think there's 2 different ways of looking at it:

1) as a regular shop
    2) as part of a DIY culture, where london vegans get a chance to sell their wares and meet each other

As a regular shop it currently isn't anything special - it's in a not so nice part of London with very little stock. My first impressions were that of bin bags and rubbish strewn around on the street outside (including redwoods cardboard boxes). It doesn't appear to have had a lot of capital investment, either to buy stock or funishing. When I was there they were selling their own branded merchandise, shoes, a few chilled goods (mostly available in healthfood stores for cheaper), a few imported sweets/biscuits (overpriced IMHO at £3.50 for biscuits) and homemade cakes.

As a DIY shop I think it has great potential. I'm not talking about powertools / an alernative to B&Q, but as a friendly space for people to interact, sell and share things etc. They've gotten off to a good start with this and seem to be open to new suppliers / ideas. He (though supposidly a society I'm fairly sure it's mostly the efforts of one person) has done a good job of online marketing and producing design work for the shop.

I geniunely do hope they succeed, grow customers, stock and amount of things on offer. This will certainly take time and with the odd addressable fault I think they've done a good job so far.

I have a personal hesitation when it comes to buying food that hasn't been prepped/stored/reheated in a commercial / environmental health passed kitchen. I don't have a problem when round other people's houses or eating food they're bought with them to a party - I'm sure that many peoples' home kitchens are way cleaner and less likely to suffer non vegan cross contamination than a commercial one. Without a face/knowledge of who made items I find sold in a shop without hygeine certificate however I don't have that reassurance.

This isn't meant as an attack (either personal or otherwise), but hopefully an honest summary of where my mindset (and I guess that of at least a few others) lies. I don't know the best way to address it, but I'm sure it can be figured out. From her blog I know that Troutina is an excellent cook and I don't doubt for one second that her kitchen is anything but hygenic. I'd be more than happy to eat her waffles and though I've not tried them I'm quite convinced they taste great when fresh out the iron. I can't comment however about their integrity several days later after microwave heating. As harpy mentions it's most likely that this is the cause of the problem and perhaps there's a better alternative. I know from my own baking that vegan cakes, cookies etc generally only last 48-72 hours, so it's possible they weren't fresh enough when sold.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote harpy View Post
    Marrers, you mustn't be rude about the waffles, Troutina makes them! Sounds as if the heating and cream-spraying process needs attention, you should offer them some consultancy Troutina I'm still going to try them as soon as I can get up there.
    No no it's great to have feedback guys! I'll have a chat with Rudee about this.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I don't doubt for one second that her kitchen is anything but hygenic.
    I think I may have accidently written a triple negative!

don't, doubt, but, hygenic
    - & - & - & + = -

I meant +

<<<was disappointed to see that the "whoopies" were not whoopie pies:
    http://www.yorkblog.com/explorer/img/Whoopie%20Pie.jpg

I don't see what you mean - they look the same to me (assuming your link is a picture of a whoopie pie).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

From her blog I know that Troutina is an excellent cook and I don't doubt for one second that her kitchen is anything but hygenic. I'd be more than happy to eat her waffles and though I've not tried them I'm quite convinced they taste great when fresh out the iron.
    Thanks so much

I have a kitchen which is 99% of the time vegan, and the waffle iron which I use has never been used to cook non- vegan items on.

Well, I've opened my last packet of oreo like cookies and they have a slight crunch to it, although the last one I opened quickly went soft within a day. Has anyone else experienced this? The first packet was soft so I can now only assume that they were indeed going stale. Think I may need to crush them into some swedish glace and eat it that way. Quite disappointed that they don't keep very well. I have them in a plastic zip bag and then inside a biscuit tin box.

they really need keeping in air-tight containers

Quote Marrers View Post
    I don't see what you mean - they look the same to me (assuming your link is a picture of a whoopie pie).
    Hm. When we were there, there was a sort of cupcake/fairy cake thing in the cake stand by the till, with a small sign saying "whoopies". Maybe they had sold out of the whoopies or something (there were only a few of the cake things left in there).

My cake tin is air tight though. Any other ideas? Ah well unlikely to get any more for quite a while anyway.

i use a kilner jar with kitchen towel in to absorb moisture and keep it in the fridge, keeps biscuits fresh and crunchy

My Trios are fine and I've been keeping them in a Tupperware box. I didn't even put them in there straight away, they spent a few days in an open packet.

Ditto, our 2 packs were left out for the first few days. THey were all gone within 5 - they work quite well in milkshakes (3 is best, 4 is too many)

Quote bradders View Post
    i use a kilner jar with kitchen towel in to absorb moisture and keep it in the fridge, keeps biscuits fresh and crunchy
    Never thought about putting kitchen towel in for the absorbtion. Good idea, will try that. Thanks

Just so you know, my cookies (huuuuuge fellows) will be on sale at Vx from Friday morning. Grab one and a coffee and chill.

It's official: my cookies are now on sale at Vx.

If you have one, please let me know what you think.

Quote bellybuddha View Post
    Never thought about putting kitchen towel in for the absorbtion. Good idea, will try that. Thanks
    What kind of Trios did you buy that weren't very crunchy? I bought the regular Trios before and they were quite crunchy, but a couple of days ago I bought the double stuffed Trios and they seem less crunchy to me (still crunchy, but not as crunchy as the others).

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    It's official: my cookies are now on sale at Vx.

If you have one, please let me know what you think.
    I had a white choc macademia one. It was great! Think I prefer the double choc ones (if they're the same ones you made for the Cake Fest) but that's just because of personal preference for dark or milk choc over white choc.

Mmm, waffles and giant cookies. Can you buy these to take away as well?

yup, the cookies are ready-wrapped to go.

it was the double choc trios, I don't like the other kind

Bought 2 of bryzee's double choc cookies today and yum, they are amazing! They are also omni friend approved. They are HUGE, too (took 2 people to eat one cookie). And decently priced.

I've been going to the Kings Cross store about twice a week for a couple months now, really cool place. Good food and a nice lounge downstairs to chill out in. The staff there are really polite good people which is a nice change compared to most shops in London.

As a DIY shop I think it has great potential. I'm not talking about powertools / an alernative to B&Q, but as a friendly space for people to interact, sell and share things etc.
    i haven't been yet but i'm planning a trip maybe tomorrow or next week. anyway, this is the same reason the place appeals to me from what i've read on their blog (that they have events, and i think its staffed by volunteers by the looks of it?). is there anywhere else like this in london besides pogo?

Stuart

Related only by its proximity, but worth a mention for any art lovers, right now and through to August, at only five odd minutes away, the Gagosian Gallery are running a Picasso exhibition. Today was the first time i'd seen any Picasso up close, and, as an artist whose output i'd never thought I could love, was left stood gazing for minutes at some of his pieces. Never had I realised how beautiful some of his portraiture is, or just how skilled an artist he was. I get the fuss now. Those Gagosian people should have let me take some home!