Thread: Clicky cracky knees!!

prilly-pie

Default Clicky cracky knees!!

Everytime I bend down/squat/kneel, my knees will crack so loud. Im a student paramedic and I have to do a lot of physical work - kneeling to the patients level, lifting, climbing onto the back of an ambulance, etc etc and my crewmates have all noticed the horrible cracking sound when I attend a patient and make without fail they make a "Oooooouch" sound. Im pretty fit and flexible, about 20lbs over weight (however when I was normal/under weight they were still cracking back in 2004/5)
    After a day at work kneeling down to everyone, I dread doing it because it begins to hurt.

Has anyone got any advice? Any experience? Any solutions and diagnosis'?

Aprille

Default Re: Clicky cracky knees!!

I have heard that clicks and cracking noises of this sort without associated pain are not an indication of anything at all.

In particular vegan forum is not allowed to suggest diagnoses or medical advice, but if you are worried or concerned see your doctor or phone NHS Direct.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I've had clicky cracky knees since being a child and I was told it was just air being forced out of the socket - not sure if that's true but I've never had any problems with them otherwise. Oh, I have double jointed knee caps as well but I'm not sure that makes any difference (my knee caps move around more than they should do!).
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

I guess there are many causes of clicks and cracks, but I believe one common cause is when a tendon or ligament becomes tightened over another similar structure. At some point in the movement, the "piece of string" thwacks itself free.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

prilly-pie

eeuuuggh sounds horrid whalespace!! *shivers*

Ok well thanks for your thoughts

vegetarian glucosamine is supposed to be good for joints - don't know if it's vegan though. although sometimes meds need to be taken vegan or no. up to you.

I can't recall exactly what my chiropractor said but there is a reason for it (bones etc out of alignment I think?) and I'm sure she said it is best to get it sorted if possible to prevent problems in older age.

She seemed to think she could improve my clicky knees but I haven't been back yet.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

helen105281

I have had clicky knees for years which hurt most days. Doctor told me they were out of alignment too and gave me some exercises to do.

I've also had clicky knees since I was a kid. Now they're painful at times, but only because I've given them a good bashing in various accidents.
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

My knees feel kind of loose when I fun my hand over, and I feel a creakiness. They also crack a fair amount, which they do since I was little. I always thought it was just normal (at least if you're very active or not active enough - I was the latter), though nowadays I think it's more likely due to joint hypermobility, as I also have had chronic joint pain over the years.

my knees have always cracked a bit without pain, i think it's normal for some people but if they hurt you should get it checked out.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Stu

My physiotherapist was fiddling around with my legs the other day, and when she moved my leg in a certain way, it clicked and she noted it as though it was in some way cause for concern... However, she didn't really dwell on it.

My physical therapist when he examined me asked me and my dad if I had been diagnosed with cerebral palsy. Something to do with my reflexes, low tone and such and my gait.

I hear a cracking noise in my knees whenever I stand up or extend my legs and to a lesser extent from my elbows. Sometimes my knee hurts before it cracks, like I can feel pressure build up in it.

I know a few years ago a physio said I had worn away cartilage in my knees, probably from playing netball and we attempted strapping my knees for awhile. A chiro gave me some exercises as did my last physio but I forget to do them/what the exercises are.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Mahk

webmd.com symptom checker says could be:

ACL knee injury,
    Chondromalacia patella,
    Osteochondritis dessicans, or
    Posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injury

You can learn more about each one if you go to their "symptom checker" and input your own data.
    ---
    I watch episodes of "House", the TV medical drama, and wonder why real doctors stupidly hope they'll just happen to think of what the mystery ailment is in each episode and think to myself "What hubris! Obviously they should consult a computer with the known symptoms, like this program does!"

prilly-pie

Ah thanks Mahk!
    Very interesting experiences. I think I shall go see someone