Thread: Peta: is this for real?

Default Peta: is this for real?

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Peta: is this for real?

Not April 1 already is it?

Stu

Haha. "There trained panels of individuals with sensitive noses who can describe smells to a very precise degree."

This and the final paragraph gave it away. Funny though.

Quote harpy View Post
    Not April 1 already is it?
    Apparently not:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unle...a-clooney.html
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/rel...=news-col-blog

Has Peta reached the level where they need to be protected against themselves?

Oh for crying out loud!

What the hell is wrong with PETA? Anyone would think that they're aim is to alienate people and turn people away from veganism. Everyone just thinks they're a bunch of extremist idiots. The first question I've been asked by several people on discovering I'm vegan has been - oh you don't support that peta do you?
    No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.

I was about to post this link myself!

I for one will be contacting Tesco at the weekend to make certain they're going to stock this. I've been longing for a sweaty tang with my stir fry for ages and couldn't figure out how to achieve it. Thank goodness for the genius of PETA....

Stu

Blimey! I was convinced that it was fake. That letter (in parts) almost comes across as though it was written by a child.

Quote Stu View Post
    Blimey! I was convinced that it was fake. That letter (in parts) almost comes across as though it was written by a child.
    Perhaps she was traumatised by that pit bull terrier that bit her.
    This beggars belief.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Ingrid Newkirk might still be a child. But then again, so is George Bush, "President of the United States of America" for eight years. And the sad thing is, I don't think I have ever read or heard anything by George Bush that was written by him. He seems to have been a puppet for other powers.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Pilaf

PETA needs to be dissolved or have its leader retire in disgrace. She's done more than enough damage to the Animal Rights movement with her stupid, shallow joke campaigns.

Buddha Belly

Another joke or another desperate bid for publicity?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7991324.stm

Peta cracks me up! I don't think much of what they do is meant to be taken seriously. I loved their Ben & Jerry's request--that they use human breast milk for their ice-cream. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what they do, but I get the sense that they're usually trying to get people to realize the absurdity of what they're doing when they eat dead animals and the other various things humans do to animals.

I blogged about Peta and the whole B&J thing several months back, if you're interested... http://consciousnessrazor.blogspot.c...t-is-best.html

they're usually trying to get people to realize the absurdity of what they're doing when they eat dead animals and the other various things humans do to animals
    The problem is that they're doing it in such a way that both vegans and non-vegans often find Peta's activities absurd instead.

Granted, I don't agree with all of Peta's tactics. But to me the bigger problem is the inability on the part of the majority of the populace to think abstractly or satirically. And it especially speaks to the huge disconnect people have in their relationship to non-human animals, and even to each other. When Peta starts dipping their toes into some other nasty areas like sexism, that's when I have a problem. But to me the only problem with a lot of what they do is that it's just too sophisticated for most people, and that's the reason they need to change their tactics. They are too smart for their own good. PLEASE don't take that as an insult if you are reading this and you are one who doesn't get it or see it the same way I do. It's just my opinion.

Buddha Belly

In the UK the tactics are very different from the US and Canada. The only ones that are ever seen here tend to be sexist or sending ludicrous letters to the press. I am bound to receive replies that there is more done, but I would like to say quickly it is not noticed.. sorry

But to me the bigger problem is the inability on the part of the majority of the populace to think abstractly or satirically.
    Well, since that's the reality, Peta needs to deal with that, and it doesn't seem that they are good at that. The various campaigns they've had (eg. the one mentioned in the first post in this thread) definitely don't fall into any kind of 'too smart' category for me. It's just plain bad and silly marketing.