Thread: The hiking thread

Default The hiking thread

Does anyone on here enhoy hillwalking? Living in Manchester I'm blessed with relatively easy access to the Peak District/Lake District and find nothing more theraputic than exiling myself to the mountains for a day to soak up the beauty.

Here's some pics from my last hike. For those who know the area, I started in Patterdale (east Cumbria) and climbed St. Sunday Crag, following it over to Fairfield and coming down over the Rostop ridge. This was about 10 days ago.

There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Default Re: The hiking thread

i love hiking, i don't have any pictures and around here its pretty but not as pretty as that. i'm typically not supposed to go alone because we have a lot of mountain lion sitings lately...not that i've ever seen one...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Fab pics You're making me homesick! (I'm from Penrith so those are my local fells.)

My favourite area for walking is further west (Haystacks and Great Gable and Robinson and those Buttermerey ones). I love the view you get of the Buttermere valley from up there, and it's even better when you can see Ennerdale and Wastwater too.

My parents live in Cumbria still (at different sides!) so I go fairly often, and I'd definitely be up for a walk in the Summer holidays.

Stu

Those are really breathtaking pics, MarkAnthony. I think nature can really stir things within you, can't it? Thanks for posting those.

I love to hike, though I don't get many chances at it. I don't know of any place around where I live that looks like that. Those are absolutely beautiful views.

Quote Cherry View Post
    Fab pics You're making me homesick! (I'm from Penrith so those are my local fells.)

My favourite area for walking is further west (Haystacks and Great Gable and Robinson and those Buttermerey ones). I love the view you get of the Buttermere valley from up there, and it's even better when you can see Ennerdale and Wastwater too.

My parents live in Cumbria still (at different sides!) so I go fairly often, and I'd definitely be up for a walk in the Summer holidays.
    If you need a hiking buddy I'll happily oblige!

Nature is truly amazing. I love the Lake District, my spiritual home if you will.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

great photos MarkAnthony, makes me think i should get out on the South Downs more often.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Hi MarkAnthony, thanks for posting those pics up, they are beautiful. I love hill walking and try and go walking as often as I can. I'm going up north walking in the easter holidays, to an eco hostel, hoping the weather will be good.

I hike every weekend in the nicer months. I have a lot of pictures but MarkAnthony's puts them to shame
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

To be fair I had a very lucky day with the weather. Even after I'd reached the summit(s) and I was more or less engulfed by cloud the snow was very tranquil and there was barely any wind. That was easily one of the most spectacular hikes I've done.

Quote laura.adjoa View Post
    Hi MarkAnthony, thanks for posting those pics up, they are beautiful. I love hill walking and try and go walking as often as I can. I'm going up north walking in the easter holidays, to an eco hostel, hoping the weather will be good.
    Where is this eco hostel you speak of? I'm thinking about heading to the Highlands this summer and would love to be able to stay somewhere veggie friendly.

Also, I'll be doing the Yorkshire Three Peaks on Tuesday (three highest mountains in Yorkshire in a day), pics will be provided.

Here's the link:
    http://www.syha.org.uk/hostels/highl...ch_ossian.aspx
    I've not been before, but a friend who stays in Fort William says it's a beautiful area.
    Here's another link to a list of vegan friendly accomodation.
    http://www.rhizomatics.co.uk/

How was your hike yesterday? The weather has been so good up here lately, wish I had time to get out walking, but got way to much studying to do! At least I'll have the summer to do more walking. I'm thinking about doing the West Highland Way, although I have planned to do it the past few summers and never have and not sure I would be fit enough. Anyone else done it? I have heard mixed reports about it.

So I went hiking last weekend. We went without a map or food or water because we were just going to go for a little bit. Well, we got on what we thought would be a loop. After a few hours we were dehydrated and absolutely starving (completely lightheaded) and had no idea what to do. We passed some other hikers and explain to them and they weren't sure how to get back to our car so they told us to follow them to there's, about a mile and a half. So we did and we realized we had been walking in just one direction many miles from the start. If we hadn't run into such nice people we would not have figured it out by dark. Lucked out!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh