Thread: Will turkish delight roast over a fire?

KezUK

Default Will turkish delight roast over a fire?

My children are going on a forest trip with their home-ed group,where there will be roasting of marshmallows over a fire. The organiser has asked me to get some vegan marshmallows for the veggie children, but veganstore are out of stock, and I'm not into getting the kit to make them. So I was wondering if turkish delight would roast alright over the fire. If anyone has any lurking in their cupboards, would you mind experimenting with a piece over a flame? If this doesn't work, what other sweet things could be roasted over a fire?

Kez

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Default Re: Will turkish delight roast over a fire?

Traditional Turkish Delight is made with corn flour, sugar and water. I'm not sure how well it would melt over a campfire . . .it may return to it gelatinous stage as it was during cooking.

I don't have any as I'm not keen on Turkish Delight.

Here's a link for gelatine free Turkish Dekight: http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/luxury-t...mon-p-575.html

Hope this helps.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

There is another source of vegan marshmallows mentioned in this thread:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22299

I would guess roasting Turkish Delight might be a bit messy but I don't know for certain.

^ those other marshmallows melt at a warm room temperature, i doubt they'd roast well over a fire!

i would imagine Turkish Delight would also melt seeing as it's gooier than regular marshmallows. i'm afraid i can't think of anything that wouldn't melt.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

There is someone on here who claims to have roasted the Sweet and Sara ones if those are the alternative brand http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4184121AAmCGNM but who knows, really.

I wonder if they could toast buns or something on the fire instead? Or would those catch fire?

Quote harpy View Post
    There is someone on here who claims to have roasted the Sweet and Sara ones
    interesting... i bought them once, and they melted into a gooey mush on a warm day. perhaps i just had a particularly soggy batch.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Halved hot cross buns?

I think I'd be tempted to just give them an alternative treat to have, like chocolate biscuit cake.

KezUK

Thanks for all the replies. I think the organiser is getting some of those pricier ones which some of you mentioned. Unfortunately because of certain regulations at the place we're going to, we're only allowed to roast certain things over the fire, adn marshmallows was one of them. They'll be using them later this week, so I'll let you all know how it goes.