Thread: penn and teller vs peta

Default penn and teller vs peta

Has anybody else seen the penn and teller tv show called bullshit? It's where they look at things like peta or creationism or another topical subject and declare it to be bullshit. I saw it online so I'm not sure when it was broadcast in the states. The episode on peta and made peta look like IDIOTS. It was pretty sensationalist stuff to be honest, accusations about links to the ALF/animal rights terrorism etc. I've always kinda viewed peta as useful idiots who really don't represent me or my views, but it was a total fucking hatchet job to be honest. I watched it with about five omni friends and I can safely say that they will never trust a word from peta's collective mouth ever again. While I did point out the many inaccuracies in P&T's arguments, it's pretty hard to argue against the TV sometimes! It seemed to me that P&T had a pretty serious agenda.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Default Re: penn and teller vs peta

A pair of reactionary, self-agrandising quasi-libertarian arseholes whose stock in trade is useless hyperbole.
    Ignore.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Ha! That reply just made me laugh out loud in the college I.T centre, people stared.

Let them stare Barry! We rule!
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Mahk

I saw the episode. It aired a couple of years ago. P&T took advantage of the fact that the meat, egg, and dairy industry (KFC for example) has already spent considerable time and money by employing the likes of Dr. Evil, AKA Rick Berman, (the propagandizing smear campaign czar) to dig up all the dirt and half-truths for them which he publishes on his various websites posing as "concerned, freedom and truth seeking consumers" (talk about Bull Sh*t! All his sites are nothing more than him and his advertising people!) All P&T had to do is reiterate all his propaganda; all their work had already been done for them by Berman.

Rick Berman's own son, otherwise due to someday inherit millions of dollars, has disowned him because of his father's refusal to quit/dismantle his unscrupulous evil empire.

I don't like PeTA for various reasons, but I feel compelled to defend them when they get unfairly attacked by the likes of Berman.

More here. (also check out the links there on the left edge such as USA today.)

PCRM

Pilaf

I actually like Penn Jillette and agree with him on most of his stances on issues, including SOME of his arguments against PeTA.

It's obvious he has an ulterior motive which is a hatred of the issue of animal rights altogether, though, as many libertarians do out of either ignorance or a misguided sense of morality. While I agree that PeTA has become somewhat of an ineffectual joke lately, it's not the fact that they are animal rights activists that I disagree with them on, but how they seem to go about it. (In other words Ingred seems to have lost whatever of her ever fucking mind was left.)

The constant parade of z-list celebrity endorsements leaves me scratching my head a bit. There's a woman called Jodie Marsh who won't mean anything to people outside the U.K and Ireland, but seriously, WHAT THE HELL? If you don't know who she is look her up. There is absolutely no possible situation in which I would have her affiliated with anything I was involved with. The links about Rick berman that mahk put up were interesting, first time I'd heard about him. Sounds like a lovely bloke....