Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ugh, a pooing question..

mango woman

Unhappy Ugh, a pooing question..

I tried finding some information on this forum, as well as on google and I have had no luck. I am just about at my wits end with this.

I eat tons of fiber, seriously tons. There are days [I track my intake on Nutritiondata.com] where I go over the daily recommended value. I eat lots of raw or very lightly cooked vegetables, fresh fruit, and whole grains. I'm not even eating bread right now, and pasta is totally rare. I drink at least a liter of water a day and I haven't had coffee in months.

The problem is, I have stopped pooing altogether. I used to be regular.. super regular, like clockwork. Once in the morning, once after lunch.. maybe one before bed. Now I go days without going at all- and when I do, it's totally unsatisfying and small. It's ridiculous. I can see my lower stomach getting slightly bigger each day I go without pooing. I am so frustrated and I have no idea what to do. I can't go to a doctor right now because I'm living in Japan [I am from America..]. I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I just don't know what to do, and it's driving me insane.

I really appreciate your help with this issue as it took a lot of guts for me to post this question.. and thanks in advance. I've just exhausted myself worrying about this.

Default Re: Ugh, a pooing question..

I feel it would be a good idea to see a doctor even if you are in Japan, TBH.

I think sensitivities to particular foods can cause constipation so you could try an elimination diet. A lot of fibre with not enough water can also cause problems and a litre of water doesn't sound all that much, though obviously you get some from food too. Coffee sometimes helps, and so do wholegrains...but a doc checkup would be sensible.

I'm sorry you're having this problem; I'm super-regular and when I get constipated it drives me nuts!!!

Try to analyse when the problem started and what changes you made in your diet and lifestyle around then. It sounds like maybe you should cut back on your fibre a little, and double your water intake; one litre a day isn't all that much. And exercise!!! Exercise is really really important.

There are also certain foods that stimulate bowel movements - try prunes in warm water. Also dates and tamarind, I think. I find fruit helps keep me regular, especially if I eat a lot! Generally hot drinks are good, as is coffee in moderation. Also bear in mind that in reaction to stress the digestive system may slow, so try not to worry.

There are also some gentle laxatives on the market; absolutely not recommended except as a last resort, but perhaps you could get the gentlest type and that would get things moving.

I would see a doctor though, just to be safe. Good luck.

I had a similar problem ongoing for a few weeks - maybe stress or something, combined with physical things (back injury). The worst part is, that while I'm not thrown off too much in timing, when I go it plugs up the toilet every other time it seems. Which is really annoying and embarrassing. Particularly as it's a shared bathroom in a dormitory, and you can hear the toilet flushing (repeatedly) from the rooms. We don't have a proper plunger. I don't drink all that much water in a day, but then again that is no different from usual and I never had this problem apart from when I first moved here and didn't go for a week. (!)

And cautious about caffeine - can stimulate things, but also dehydrates.

A quick solution is to try one of those detox teas that have senna in it (you have it before you go to bed at night). That stuff really makes you go- though it's not a solution and you're not supposed to drink it long term.

Because you're eating lots of raw food, you may want to look into proper food combining. Some raw veg is quite hard to digest. Like fiamma said, it may be worth having more fruit- and perhaps easing up on the raw veg.

If you think you have a food intolerence, try starting a detox diet where you abstain from known allergens, and gradually introduce foods. Keep a food diary- What grains are you still eating etc? Try a few days without veg, a few days without fruit and so on.

If you feel your health suffering/feel over-stressed about this definitely see a doctor- Rooting out food allergies/intolerences takes weeks, even months- and it might be you don't even have an intolerance, you might just need a probiotic or something.

google megacolon - see a doc
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

mango woman

Thanks everyone for the help.

cobweb

i think you need to triple your water intake!

I've heard that warm water w/ lemon is supposed to help.

Quote cobweb View Post
    i think you need to triple your water intake!
    Good call, cobweb.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Drinking coffee really helps me go. And make sure you're drinking a lot of water, thats really important like everyone has said.

and i hope you're not embarressed, everyone poops. Well everyone SHOULD poop. its natural
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

a lot of water, tea with fennel&anisseed helps a lot (e.g. detox tea from pukha), too! add ginger to anything (either fresh, pickled or ground one would work, too)
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

mango woman

Red face Re: Ugh, a pooing question..

Thanks again everyone. I will definitely try the increasing my water intake tons. I used to drink so much but now it's like a chore. Stress may also be playing a part as I've been very unhappy lately and frustration comes pretty much daily. I just realized that I haven't had any tea in like five days [so that means no hot liquids at all] so I will definitely start drinking tea again, as well as the water. I have been jogging for 30 minutes a day and I do a nice relaxing [not intense by any means] stretching regime beforehand including abs and a few upper body exercises, but it's only been a week or so altogether. Hopefully things will start to change for the better after I try these things for a week or two.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out with this. It's really frustrating to feel so disconnected from the body I was once so in tune with.

Any other advice is always welcome. I also can actually find that Pukha tea here [in Japan] and will pick up the detox stuff. I have the revitalize kind and it's delicious.

Thanks again everyone.

I guess you would have mentioned if you'd started taking medication which co-incided? when I started taking painkillers I definitely noticed a big difference in my regularity (I was expecting it though, as it was one of the listed possible side-effects).
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

mango woman

Red face Re: Ugh, a pooing question..

Nope, no new medication. In fact, no medication whatsoever. For someone who used to be really into probiotics, enzymes, amino acids, vitamin and mineral complexes and every else a girl could get sucked into by working at a health food store, I don't really take anything.. ever. Since I've been here in Japan [got here on September 18th, 2008] I've only taken a few digestive enzymes three or four times.

Now that I think about it, a liter of water is practically nothing. I've heard around half my bodyweight in ounces per day? Or should I be aiming for more? I'm sure I'll have no problem gulping down loads of water once the weather heats up again, but right now I have to make a conscious effort. I will start drinking a liter for my workout alone, and then work from there to get two or three more in each day.

I looked up that megacolon disorder- I think that [or I'd like to think] is a bit more extreme than my case. But, I don't really no. The only "discomfort" I experience is the whole "Ugh, I haven't pooed in days" feeling.. I just want my stomach to go back to being flat [it's not like 7 months pregnant bloated or anything insane like that, just.. a little bigger than normal] and go back to being regular.

The doctor thing, though I'd like to go to one just to see [in America I'll usually deal with things myself. If they get bad, I'll call Nurse Direct. If they get really bad, or they ask me to do so, I'll see a doctor. Usually I steer clear of them and heal myself.] the doctor thing simply isn't an option here. Not only is the language barrier going to keep me from accomplishing anything, there's no way I'm going to tell the head of the international education office that I need to see a doctor because I can't poop. Noo, no no way.

Again, thanks everyone for the help. Keep the advice coming!

Quote twinkle View Post
    I guess you would have mentioned if you'd started taking medication which co-incided? when I started taking painkillers I definitely noticed a big difference in my regularity (I was expecting it though, as it was one of the listed possible side-effects).
    Maybe that explains it for me. NSAIDs, can they do this? I've experienced digestive symptoms before on them, but usually not this. Yet another good reason to to keep pushing for a PT referral...too bad I've developed a terrible phobia of needles after years of fainting from them, or I would be delighted to try acupuncture on the student clinic.

Go and get a colonic (irrigation), I had this problem and since then have had no problems at all - in fact it's, "Get out of the toilet I'm coming through!".
    After years of problems i am now cured after just one session.
    Everyone is having them now young and old people so there is no need to be embarrassed!
    Silent but deadly :p

A few other things come to mind...

I'm fairly sure that most water enters your body through your large intestine.... in fact I was told in a biology class that if you are stranded at sea without fresh water, then colonic irrigation with sea water could well save your life!
    Further to this, I think that the absorbtion
    of water is 'active' ...that is the process involves energy and cellular processes, and does not depend on osmotic potential [ forgive the salt on slug example ...we used onion cells under a microscope].
    Nextly, if you are going to be exercising your abdominal muscles then the "yogic wind expeller" exercise is surely for you . I forgot the proper name for it, but is generally guarunteed farts in less than a minute.
    Thirdly, "sat-isabgol" aka psyllium husks. I don't mean take a few capsules! This stuff is available as whole seeds, or as flakey husks only. I found boxes of 200 grammes for two quid [two dollars] in an asian supermarket. The thing about this 'fibre' is that it 'holds on' to water... meaning that if there is too much water then the stools will be gelled up; however if there is not enough water then the fibre might suck up all that is available [ that might seem useless at first consideration].

Echoing horseless, Hemlock, cobweb et al, I would be eating litres of water soup.

Since we know that water is absorbed actively from the large intestine.... we can assume that there is a path to it from your mouth [ unless you are tubed up somehow]; otherwise you would be dying from thirst.
    [EDIT: actually you would get plenty of water from your small intestine... therefore your large intestine might not be getting much hydration nor lubrication.]

I would ask about colonic irrigation as well....but I would be panicking on day two.
    Last edited by whalespace; Feb 12th, 2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Most water is usually absorbed by the small intestine.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

mango woman

There are some people on this forum I love. And it's several of you long time forumees that posted on here. Thank you guys. You have been very helpful. I promise, I have had more water today than the entire week before! Thank you all, so much. I didn't expect to receive such nice advice. I expected the "go to a doctor" bit post after post.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just revised some; I'm going to edit my previous post.

Actually most water will be absorbed by the small intestine [up to 7 to 10 litres in 24 hours... though drinking this much suggests other problems].
    However, the large intestine is capable of absorbing more water per unit of surface area... it needs to be good at it because 'stools' are usually more "salty" [or solutey] by that stage, and have a stronger pull on water. A further two litres of water can be taken from the 'fecal' matter by the large intestine [per day].

mango woman

I'm just going to go ahead and tell you all that I pooed not once, but TWICE today. I'm feeling pretttttty damn good. I have had almost two liters of water and two liters of barley tea. I seriously think I must just be severely dehydrated. Thank you all again, sooooooooooo much.

Who needs doctors when you've got a group of vegans from around the world willing to talk poo with you?

Thanks again everyone. Like nine million times, thanks.

glad you are feeling better ashleybear! i completely understand about the doctor. i'd rather heal myself as well. another thing i thought of is that caffeine can be binding. so if any of your teas has caffeine in it that could be a problem. it sounds weird b/c coffee seems to make some people go but a long time ago a doctor told me about the tea thing. idk.

Quote veganwitch View Post
    glad you are feeling better ashleybear! i completely understand about the doctor. i'd rather heal myself as well. another thing i thought of is that caffeine can be binding. so if any of your teas has caffeine in it that could be a problem. it sounds weird b/c coffee seems to make some people go but a long time ago a doctor told me about the tea thing. idk.
    That reminds me how when I was younger, drinking a can of soda, especially a black cherry shasta, would make me need to GO! Right away. Not #1, but #2. Right after drinking even 1/2 a can. LOL. No wonder I cut my soda intake so much by the time I was 13.

I quite like talking about poo - don't see owt wrong with it myself - gets a bit annoying tho when I go about 4 times a day

^ that could be bad if it keeps up like that, though. Generally once or twice a day is good, more or less will strain you too much and lead you to an anal fissure or other such nasty complication.

I would have thought at least twice a day for a veg*n... provided they were eating "plenty" of fruit and veg...sprouts etc., especially raw.

I'm cautious about adding that rectal health is not my speciality.

Apparently the medical community considers one bowel movement every ten days "normal"...

mango woman

once every TEN days?!?! Obviously I start to freak out after a day. I can't imagine having ten days' worth of meals still inside me. Sick.

eww! stewed poo - your gut would be like a sewer - bleurgh!

Quote fiamma View Post
    Apparently the medical community considers one bowel movement every ten days "normal"...
    Where did you read THAT?! I can imagine them saying two days is normal even three (even though personally I think that is a bit unhealthy), but TEN? If you heard if from a medical professional, you can bet what body part I bet they were talking about...I was just at a doctor for this sort of thing.

(BTW, I eat a diet v. high in beans, raw fruits and veggies, with cooked ones too, with plenty of water to drink - example lunch of 3 bean chili soup and big salad of just raw veggies with no dressing, and am obviously vegan, and yet this has still developed and caused major problems). Diet alone, while it's a HUGE factor and probably the #1 factor (and definitely one of the easiest, most comfortable things to modify), there are other factors too. In fact I even read there's a study that (while the population is in boys), hypermobile boys are 5 times more likely to experience constipation than non-hypermobile control boys. So while I'm an adult, I wonder if my hypermobility might be related.

I heard it from a doctor specialising in nutrition; I queried her and she said yes, ten days is considered "normal". Obviously only if you've always had that frequency of evacuation; if you normally go every day then start going once every ten days, then there is a problem.

I wonder how much such a person eats...if I went once every ten days...well I'll not be graphic.

mango woman

Honestly I feel like I would explode if I hadn't gone in ten days. That's thirty regular sized meals and who knows how many snacks. JEEZE.

I prefer to go daily, in fact, I like going multiple times each day.. so not doing so is making me crabby.

Quote Quantum Mechanic View Post
    hypermobile boys are 5 times more likely to experience constipation than non-hypermobile control boys.
    this could be a fluid intake issue again - always on the go - produce more sweat so if you don't drink more...

Quote vava View Post
    this could be a fluid intake issue again - always on the go - produce more sweat so if you don't drink more...
    Nyah? Hypermobile as in, the joints are extra flexible (as in, double-jointed). If you look up the Beighton criteria, I can do 5 or 7 of 9 of those things, without any pain or much effort. (I am unsure if it's 5 or 7 because I am not sure if my knees hyperextend anymore, and if it is past 10 degrees. Without knees, 5, with knees, 7.) I likely have some kind of connective tissue dysplasia, possibly related to Fragile X?? No idea now.

Hello theashleybeyer, did you sort it out in the end?

I've had some IBS problems for some time, and I recently learned there are two types of fibre (soluble and insoluble). I was eating too much of the insoluble type (whole grain stuff, certain veg) and having all sorts of problems. After one day of eating avocado mushed up on some french bread my bowel pains completely stopped and I'm back to normal

Maybe read up on soluble and insoluble fiber if you haven't already!

good luck

mango woman

Hey Purple,

Thanks for asking about me. The first day I tried increasing my water intake and it seemed to be helping, but it's gone back to the same problem. I'm so exhausted with this problem. I have no idea what could be causing it. My mum has IBS.. is it hereditary? I have considered trying some kind of green smoothie "fast". I've read about various people doing it and they seem to have positive results with it. I'm just so sick of this. I never had these problems when I was vegan [very regular] and certainly had no problems like this when I went raw for about a year.. but now when I am eating some of the healthiest foods [cooked and raw, I try to balance things] I randomly develop this problem?? I don't get it!!!!!!

If this is still a problem when I return to the states I will certainly see a doctor about it but I really, really hope I can just 'heal' myself. If you [or anyone else] has ANY ideas, advice or anything that might help please let me know. Even when my boyfriend was visiting me here and we were eating the EXACT same thing it was only me who was having the digestion/elimination issues. Sigh.

Sorry to hear it hasn't gotten much better! I don't think they know if IBS is hereditary or not, so I can't comment - although it does seem to run in my family.

I live with my girlfriend (have done for nearly a year) and we've been eating almost identical food. She's fine. I've suffered stomach cramps, bloating, really (really really) awful gas, and occasional diarrhea (yum!). To cut a long story short, I started looking at IBS on wikipedia and it recommended soluble fiber (to help with diarrhea or constipation).

It's a bit confusing, as some sites say (for example) nuts are soluble, and some say they are insoluble, so check your food items on a few different sites you trust.

I would start by making a list of all the foods you've eaten in the last 2 or 3 days, and then cross reference them and see if the majority are soluble or insoluble (I found that most of the food I ate contained mostly insoluble - brown rice, whole grains, rye bread, couscous).

Also maybe try and list the foods you eat now that you didn't used to eat when you were vegan, as well as list any foods you no longer eat, now that you're raw?

With me I noticed a difference the same day (by lunchtime, my stomach wasn't uncomfortable), so to rule it out - you might like to try a couple of days of just eating the most soluble foods you can find (plums and prunes are allegedly good). I don't know too much about the raw side of vegan, so I'll leave all that up to you

Hope that helps and good luck!

Sorry theashleybeyer, I meant to post this last week. In case you had not seen any, soluble fibre is available in a powder form. My friend has got about five tubs of it spare co-incidentally.... I'd post you some but I can imagine all sorts of problems at customs.
    I'm not sure how to ask for it in Japanese.
    The stuff I have here is a fine white powder which dissolves completely in water.

I just mixed some with a tiny amount of water, and the solution feels slippery [so to speak]. I guess that if the molecules are not digested [fibre], and are too big to pass through membranes, that when the water is absorbed by the gut... that everything would be coated in this lubricant. The major benefit being that the water would carry it through any stool it could soak into.

Of course, I have no idea what happens when it is chucked in with everything else.

mango woman

Hmm.. Thank you whalespace. I'll definitely take a look at a few of the supermarkets here to see if I can find anything I can trust. Lately I've been really ill with some crazy sour stomach/acid reflux issues and gas that could kill an entire city. Still no idea what's going on. Sigh. I'm hoping that if I include a little more insoluble fiber [grains and stuff?] things will start to improve. I'm trying. .but the body just seems to be ignoring me.

Thanks for everyone's help.. and as always, if any new ideas pop up, do not hesitate to post them on here.

Quote theashleybeyer View Post

The problem is, I have stopped pooing altogether. I used to be regular.. super regular, like clockwork. Once in the morning, once after lunch.. maybe one before bed. Now I go days without going at all- and when I do, it's totally unsatisfying and small. It's ridiculous. I can see my lower stomach getting slightly bigger each day I go without pooing. I am so frustrated and I have no idea what to do. I can't go to a doctor right now because I'm living in Japan [I am from America..]. I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I just don't know what to do, and it's driving me insane.

I really appreciate your help with this issue as it took a lot of guts for me to post this question.. and thanks in advance. I've just exhausted myself worrying about this.
    One thing, is that if you go a lot, then the muscles and connective tissue can get worn out from the frequency and can result in constipation. One thing about high fiber diets, while they can be very good (and certainly far better than the alternative), is that they do need lots of water, and as others have mentioned I believe soluble fiber versus insoluble fiber may play into this stuff. Because you don't want it to get too loose and frequent, but you also don't want it to get too hard and infrequent, because both can cause damage.

Personally, I had a problem due to not drinking enough water given a very high fiber intake (I estimate an average of 40-60 g per day), and found that by drinking tea helped things along (though I drank it apart from meals by an hour or so, so it doesn't interfere with absorption of iron). However, the long term solution for me would be to drink more water, and maybe pay more attention to soluble fiber?

BTW, plums and prunes are good sources of both insoluble and soluble fiber (I'm guessing the insoluble is the outside and the soluble is the inside), and I believe that apples are similar situation with regards to fiber.

mango woman

Thanks a ton QM.. I will definitely look further into the insoluble/soluble fiber thing. I think I average about the same amount of fiber daily as well. It's weird to see my 'daily percentage value' of fiber be over the 100%.. every day. Anyway, thanks again. Every little bit of info/advice helps!

Also, one thing to possibly consider is the timing of when drinking water. I don't know if it's relevant, but I believe I've been told that you should space it out (though it is good to drink before, during, and after meals), but me I am used to drinking two glasses of water with each meal, plus a glass of juice and a glass of rice milk (edited to clarify: the juice and rice milk are separate of meals, not with every meal along with the water ). But there are times when it's at night or in the middle of the day, and I am thirsty but I don't have the ability to plan out and get a glass of water. So even though I'm hydrated during meals, I still think my water habits need to change.

mango woman

The water issue is definitely something I'm confused on still. I've been reading all sorts of opinions and I think I've confused myself horribly.

I've read that you shouldn't drink water from 30 minutes before a meal, during, and up to 30 minutes after a meal. I personally think I would choke if I didn't have some water with my meals. Other than the occasional green smoothie, I only drink water. [Okay, unless I'm in some hippie community that has a juice bar- but that hasn't happened in a LONG time. ] And of course there are people who have no problem drinking water before, during and after meals. This is how I'd personally prefer it... but..

I've read people talking about drinking gallons and gallons of water a day, and then of course there is the US's standard of 8 glasses a day. Big difference there. I'm currently aiming [though I'm not reaching the goal every day yet] for 3 to 4 liters a day. Not sure if that still isn't enough?

Hmm.. thoroughly confused now..

The thing about drinking water before and during meals is that it keeps your system hydrated, and able to efficiently digest your food properly.

Hmmm. Confusion can occur when people try to include the end result of reasoning of a number of differing situations.
    In other words, when we are not aware of the exact chemistry of a situation, or of whether we have all the pieces we need to make something...then we try what worked before, or we try changing the sequence hoping to hit on something by chance or elimination. Sometimes this is the best we can do.
    If you haven't telephoned that health professional back home yet, maybe a friend could contact your doctor for you with a list of symptoms and what you have tried so far.

On the subject of water and meals: Diluting or washing away your digestive secretions might not be the best strategy for digesting tough stuff, nor for snipping up complex molecules. Personally I minimise liquids, and maximise [without being silly] acids if I am digesting protein, then add water, and aim for a more alkaline environment for digesting carbohydrates.... but you can probably forget that opinion....especially if you do not fill your belly so full that it even matters. I reckon that is more of a problem for old folks whom make less digestive enzymes as they age.

Let your kidneys deal with the extra water....they can do that without breaking a sweat.

One brand of soluble fibre [from wheat dextrin, but read the label]:
    http://www.benefiber.co.uk/facts.html

Default Yogic wind expeller.

YOGIC WIND EXPELLER:

I guess this exercise gently massages your entrails .
    At the very least it will hurry along the farts for hopefully long enough to deliver that serious lesson to the kiddies.

Without breaking your neck, nor anything else:

Lie flat on back.
    Bring knees to chest, allowing knees to bend, heels to bum.
    If you can... straighten your legs and touch the floor [with your toes] 'behind/above' your head.
    Bring heels back to your bum, with your knees to your chest.
    Push your heels away 'downwards', straightening body into original position.

Repeat until folk do laundry on your abs....... you should be farting by number ten.

This exercise can be done very smoothly, when you are well stretched.
    You can figure out how to do this without lying down....which is useful for the loo at work.

Have fun.
    By the way... I find this moves my poo too.

mango woman

I am soo trying that yoga position. Thanks a ton whalespace!

*****is glad is in uk!****

I work with a veggie and an omni and find both 'after perfumes' a bit gross (not that any poo smell is pleasant) but the omni one makes me wanna retch. Smells like decomposing something - which is what it is of course.