Thread: Mourning cockrels

Default Mourning cockrels

Does anyone here mourn when animals you don't know die?

I go to an animal care college and unfortunately come across things that upset me often. Today we were asked to bring the chickens inside, but they said before we did that, they needed to neck the cockrels.

I hadn't really interracted with these cockrels. I'd put them out in the morning so had seen them healthy. They were 'useless' so they were killed and fed to the large birds. Even though they were used I still feel sad that perfectly healthy birds were killed. In an animal care college

-_-

I mourn

Default Re: Mourning cockrels

I wouldn't like to work in that animal care college!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I agree - I'd hate to work there. More like "No care" college. They weren't in any sense useless, they existed for their own purpose. How awful for you.

I'm there as a mature student. I walked to the side with a supervisor when they were doing it. Then they had to walk past us with the cockrels so I turned away, and Luke (who does the course just for the sake of doing a course and who I can perfectly imagine working in an abattoir) walked by and started pretending to make the cockrel talk. The supervisor said "Luke don't upset her" but it was too late 'cos I'd gone into a room and slammed the door.

I'm enjoying the course, it's just things like this that get to me. Surely the people who work there started by loving animals?

The sheep and pigs also get sent to the slaughterhouse.

I'm afraid I couldn't have turned away while this was going on...........I would probably have brought the birds home with me. I couldn't/wouldn't work in a place like that............it sounds like my idea of Hell!

Yesterday was a dissection. 3rd of the year. I went to the library and sulked lol

I went on the farm today and I was happy watching all the pigs, goats and chickens running around I can't understand how people can eat them.

It's sad that some of them go to slaughter but at least they had a good life.

Although they'd have an even better life if they were allowed to live it out to it's natural conclusion!

Quote danaeonyx View Post
    but at least they had a good life.

Good life on the farm as opposed to a nasty farm

If you have a good life does this then mean we can kill you? The animal wants to live just as surely as you do and it fights to live with all it can when it sees his life endangered.

It is also not necessary that people that work there care about the animals as living ,feeling creatures with their own valuable life. They might just like to be around animals for their own pleasure. My father likes being with animals and he is good with animals. Animals respond well to him. And he just as easily kills and eats them without the least bit of sorrow. He likes to be with them and the feelings they give him, but he doesn't care for them for them. He doesn't see them as creatures that ,just as surely as humans ,just want to be happy and live.

There is no reason or excuse for your school to treat and kill animals the way it does. It can easily teach all the skill's without killing. One does not even have to experience bird and upbringing to learn about them, via footage, dia's, books,...
    And the students can learn how to take care of animals, without killing, they can care for them as long as they live.
    Maybe you should reform your school

Quote wendy View Post
    If you have a good life does this then mean we can kill you? The animal wants to live just as surely as you do and it fights to live with all it can when it sees his life endangered.
    Ok you're preaching to a vegan here. I was just saying it's better than not having a good life.

Quote wendy View Post
    There is no reason or excuse for your school to treat and kill animals the way it does. It can easily teach all the skill's without killing. One does not even have to experience bird and upbringing to learn about them, via footage, dia's, books,...
    And the students can learn how to take care of animals, without killing, they can care for them as long as they live.
    Maybe you should reform your school
    I doubt it, they get money for their meat and eggs. I wouldn't be able to convince them on a financial point of view, which is the only view they have

The worst thing is the teachers who used to be veggie. The guy on the farm got ill when he was veggie and one of my teachers has dodgy intestines and a low immune system so 'had' to eat meat again. It's the only thing her intestines don't moan at

Quote danaeonyx View Post
    The guy on the farm got ill when he was veggie and one of my teachers has dodgy intestines and a low immune system so 'had' to eat meat again. It's the only thing her intestines don't moan at
    Maybe they don't 'moan' now but they might years later down the line. It is a scientific fact that meat is a contributing cause of bowel cancer.

Quote sandra View Post
    Maybe they don't 'moan' now but they might years later down the line. It is a scientific fact that meat is a contributing cause of bowel cancer.
    It's so pointless trying to argue with these people they're so set in their ways and just basically ignore everything I say.

We had nutrition, health and hygiene in tutorial the other day and had the usual food pyramid. Then she was talking about fish for ages and the class were all discussing it until I said "can we stop talking about fish please?" and she said "ok" then immediately went to talk about something else.

Seriously, if I was religious I wouldn't have to put up with this sh*t

http://www.fishinghurts.com/f-tuna.asp

Now you can say why it's not true

Awesome thankyou

I've read so much that I forget it in arguments

I've read so much that I forget it in arguments
    I know that feeling!

I wasn't sure where to post so thought I'd add here as it's relevant to the topic.

I'm sure it's something people see all the time but I saw the first 'road kill' I have ever seen yesterday, and I was partly involved in it. I feel quite sad to think of it now .

I was driving along the motorway, then a bird (maybe a phesant) ran out from the central reservation. I saw it and slowed down as much as possibe and although I couldn't stop I knew it had time to get across. But the car in front hit it.

It was still alive (I think) as it emerged from under the car in front (would have been badly injured), I tried to swerve around it but I felt it go under my wheels .

I feel bad about it, but I don't think there was anything I could have done. After it had been hit by the first car, the poor bird would not have had any kind of life left. My (kind vegan) friend said I probably put it out of it's misery.

I should have stopped though. Maybe it was still alive and I could have somehow comforted it for it's final moments rather than leave it to die alone. But It was all so fast and it's not always safe to just stop on the motorway.

So yes. I mourn for animals that I don't know

I'm so sorry to hear what happened Johnstuff.............that must have been traumatic for you.
    I know it doesn't make it any less awful but there was nothing you could have done to save the bird, he/she was probably beyond saving by that time.
    My sister once was driving along the motorway when a mummy bird flew across her windscreen with a little baby flying behind, my sister couldn't avoid hitting the baby bird and she was devastated! These things are really unavoidable although very sad.

I hope you are ok.

Thank you for your kind words Sandra!

My husband once hit a rabbit. He felt really bad. It's always sad when an animal die

I know just how you feel - I was driving along the motorway a few years ago and a pigeon took off from the ground on the hard shoulder, and flew straight in front of my car - it was killed immediately, but I was so, so upset, and sat there on the hard shoulder sobbing. I also had some really unreasonable feelings of anger at the poor bird that it didn't have enough self-preservation sense not to take off then - utterly unreasonable of me, probably just trying to lessen my sense of guilt.