Please check this out

http://www.towerhillstables.com/london09.html

Thanks

Default Re: London Marathon

Thanks for posting that, Yaksongs

Fiona Oakes is an inspiration

the link won't load for me at the moment. but good luck Fiona!

edit: seems to be working fine now
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

treaclemine

Apparently, Gordon Ramsey is running again this year - his best time was, according to Wikipedia, 3:46:10 in 2006 and he's apparently aiming to break the 3:30:00 barrier in 2009.

Here is Fiona Oakes training blog: http://fionaoakes.blogspot.com/

- she gives her Personal Best for any marathon at 2:38:00

I think it would be interesting to make sure Gordon Ramsey knows there will be a vegan woman running at lot faster than him?

It would indeed - but we have tried in vain

Bear in mind too that as an "average decent runner" a womans time is "approx" 25-30 mins slower than a man - i.e. a woman running in 3 hours is "as good" as a man who runs 2 hours 30

So taking this into acount Fiona is approximately 90 minutes quicker than him - time to have a 3 course meal - or take in a film - half way round & still beat Ramsey

Both us & CAPS (Captive Animal Protection Society) asked PETA to run this "idea" as a campaign last time Fiona ran London, but they were not interested choosing instead to dump manure outside his resturant as a "publicity" stunt

All that achieves IMHO is to alienate people. I think you have to show "by example" rather than do stuff like that.

Fiona is under incredible stress at the moment - on top of all the animal work her parents have had a car crash (they are OK, but the car isn't) and I am away tomorrow & friday doing a stall for the sanctuary at the Jain Festival in Harrow - so she is struggling somewhat.

Messages of support would be a help, as would direct sponsorship - she has run over 1500 miles in training specifically for this event & given she has a knee replacement it's an unimaginable feat

She has managed to raise £250 so far

Cheers

M

Quote treaclemine View Post
    Apparently, Gordon Ramsey is running again this year - his best time was, according to Wikipedia, 3:46:10 in 2006 and he's apparently aiming to break the 3:30:00 barrier in 2009.

Here is Fiona Oakes training blog: http://fionaoakes.blogspot.com/

- she gives her Personal Best for any marathon at 2:38:00

I think it would be interesting to make sure Gordon Ramsey knows there will be a vegan woman running at lot faster than him?
    Love it! Best of luck to Fiona x

treaclemine

I am going to write to some newspapers and radio stations to tell them before the Marathon!

Quote treaclemine View Post
    I am going to write to some newspapers and radio stations to tell them before the Marathon!
    That's great - I have already sent over 100 e mails to various papers & stations & websites - 3 replies - Vegan Village have put adverts on their site & sponsored Fiona, Vegan London have put the above poster & link on their site and Ethical Singles have a link on their main page.

All quiet from the papers though - if only Fiona had massive breasts they might be interested

We were hoping that the article in Prima magazine would get some support, but they didn't want to mention the diet or the running ! - as a result the article makes it all sound idyllic - which it isn't by a unfeasiblly long piece of chalk.

The mag has a circulation of 400,000 - Fiona has had 1 e-mail relating to it !

Please feel free to e mail anyone who may be interested !

M

Buddha Belly

Hi Martin,
    Is the money for Tower Hills or CAPS? Or can we choose who we sponser Fiona for? Both are great and don't mind which.

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Hi Martin,
    Is the money for Tower Hills or CAPS? Or can we choose who we sponser Fiona for? Both are great and don't mind which.
    Hi - There is a page set up for both causes - if you want to sponsor Fiona for CAPS, the link is https://www.bmycharity.com/V2/fionacaptiveanimals

For Tower Hill Stables it is - http://www.towerhillstables.com/london09.html

Thank you for your interest & support !

M

treaclemine

I can't currently find out any information about how the vegan runners, including Fiona, got along in the race - help?

Position (overall) 871 Position
    (age group) 4
    Position (gender) 32 Finish time 2:58:48
    http://results-2009.london-marathon.co.uk/

http://results-2009.london-marathon....393&ostart_no=

The link to the 2009 results isn't available on their website yet but you can alter the 2008 one to get it

Thanks for publicising this. What an inspiring person. Spread the word, friends!

gutts

treaclemine

Ha ha ha Gordon Ramsay came in at 4:05:02

Stu

Grrr! The marathon made me late for work today! It's my fault really, for forgetting it was on. Central London was mobbed and I had to take a massive detour. Silly boy.

helen105281

Yay, that's excellent news. Fiona is an inspiration. I was looking on the coverage and saw a few Vegan Runners but not Fiona.

Hi all - here is what I just posted on the Tower Hill Stables News Page

Fiona finished the race 32nd place (4th in age cat) in 2 hours & 58 minutes - a great result, although not the time she would have run if her knee hadn't of hurt so much. As 10 miles she said the pain was so bad that she was almost in tears but then saw a sign that some vegans had put up willing her on & thanking her for what she does for the animals & she pushed on.

Now, don't misurderstand this, a sub 3 hour time is a very good MALE club runners dream time & for a FEMALE it is a fabulous achievement and we are delighted with the result. However Fiona's knee has taken a pounding & she had to see a doctor after the race as it had puffed up considerably. It is actually unbelievable that anyone with a knee replacement is running at all at this level & distance, but to do a sub 3 hour time with one is utterly incredible.

The other "issue" was the women's start. Usually there are 150-200 elite women who have qualified for the elite start by completing a previous race in under 3 hours 15 minutes & in all the previous London Marathon you will have seen a this large number of women athletes all start off 45 mins ahead of the men.

However this year they only let 18 of the top international runners form the elite womens start & all the rest had to start behind the men with the masses in the main race. As expected this cause quite a few issues & there was no way Fiona was going to put in a PB effort from that kind of start. Had she of run harder, she would have probably injured herself badly & we have to think about the animals here as I only have so much holiday from work & Fiona has to do the work of 5 men (that's 5 Big men) alone.

We "understand" & this may not be true, that the reason they did this to the womens race was because last time, the wheel chair racers complained that there were too many women runners in their way - they let the wheel chair racers off between the elite women & the main race. So by only letting 18 of the very fastest women off first, there will only be a few women to get round (for the faster racers) rather than 200 odd. We think it would have been fairer to reduce the qualifying time to 3 hours from 3.15 as that way all the very best females would have had a shot at running a decent race on a clear road - but we don't make the rules...

Needless to say the other elite females finding themselves thrown in behind the men & with the masses were unamused & many will be complaining - although for what that achieves....I wonder what the point is.

Still, its good to know that Fiona still beat Vegan hating Gordon Ramsay by over an hour - & given the male:female factor, thats 90 minutes quicker than him. We have at last, & thanks to Amanda Baker at the Vegan Society, managed to get an article published in the media about this Ramsay vs Oakes story - It's on the Russia Today website see link below.

Russia Today, Today, Tomorrow the UK media? ...perhaps not - if only Fiona had bigger ***'s or 15 illigitimate kids from 23 different fathers or was a foul mouthed as Gordon Ramsay - then they might be interested...

http://www.russiatoday.com/Art_and_F..._Ramsay__.html

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO SUPPORTED FIONA TODAY we really appreciate it

Love from all the Gang ! XXX

treaclemine

Extra amazing well done! to Fiona, and I really hope the knee is recovering well!

Congrats to Fiona from me She's such a tireless worker for the animals and deserves all the support she can get.

treaclemine

Default You Digg?

If you use Digg, you can now promote the RT story about Fiona Oakes:

http://digg.com/health/Vegan_Fiona_O...urs_Mr_Ramsay/