Thread: cooking for a single vegan!

Default cooking for a single vegan!

I'm single & find it very hard cooking just for one. I've the Leah Leneman book for 1 & cook almost totally out of that! Does anyone know of any other cookbooks with recipes just for 1 or 2 people. I'm getting bored!!

Buddha Belly

Default Re: cooking for a single vegan!

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum. At least you live in Norwich with some good vegan places to eat. What I do when I cook for myself is just half or quater what it says. I know this is not always practical for half used tofu. Got to the library and look at all the vegan cook books. I live in a little place and they have three or four. Then it is an experimental game. A recipe I used for toad in the hole (Easy Vegan Cooking). Said suitable for four. It makes enough for six and I changed the milk amount etc.

Hello. Personally I would probably just make a recipe for four and then save some for another night as I'm always delighted not to have to cook You could freeze some in portions if you have a freezer, or most vegan food keeps well for a few days in the fridge.

Thanks for that. I have tried halving or quartering the odd recipe buts it's not always been successful! Prehaps I just need to keep experimenting! I guess I'm just lazy !

Genearlly, i have to cook just for me as well... Usually i cook big meals and store the rest in one person portions. I liked the book 'table for two' from Joanne Stepaniak, i put the leftovers in the freezer since i can be pretty lazy sometimes, just like harpy said...

I love Table For Two by Jo Stepaniak. It is one of my all-time favourite cookbooks!
    To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana. -Buddha

I eat enough for 2 or 3.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Last edited by jimmeh; Apr 13th, 2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Oh I see, you have that. Erm... make double and freeze?

If you like Leah Leneman, I would also suggest her book Easy Vegan Cooking. The recipes I've made don't seem to produce a big quantity and they are easily halved.
    To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana. -Buddha