Thread: Places to eat, buy groceries, etc in West London and N. England

Default Places to eat, buy groceries, etc in West London and N. England

This June I am going to London. I will be staying in Richmond. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat in West London? I have looked on the many websites, of course, but I am looking for personal favourites, affordable places, and places that might not be listed as vegan or vegetarian, but have good vegan options. Other places not in West London, perhaps in the more tourist-y areas would also be useful.

I will also be going to rural northern England to visit my bf's family. They live in Todmorden, in Lancashire. The nearest 'big' town is Halifax. I doubt any of you will have recommendations for that neck of the woods, but if you do, please let me know!

Default Re: Places to eat, buy groceries, etc in West London and N. England

I would have a look at the Vegan London threads, BabyCarrot - people have listed their favourites on there. I live quite near Richmond but I don't often eat there so am not going to be much help I'm afraid - however they do have a big Pizza Express there which is a good standby as they will make pizzas without cheese on request and have a reasonable selection of vegetable-based ones (and their standard pizza base is vegan).

222, an almost completely vegan restaurant, will be on your way into central London. Twickenham is near Richmond and there they have a branch of Sagar, a small chain of S. Indian vegetarian restaurants that has the approval of the forum I believe I haven't been to the Twickenham one but I have been to 3 other branches and they're reliable.

I used to live in Richmond. To add to what Harpy says, it is a short train ride away from Central London - where you are spoiled for choice for good vegan food.

Halifax is near Sowerby Bridge- Home of Dandelion and Burdocks vegan restaurant

Buddha Belly

Is this the sort of thing?

Bear Cafe

Vegetarian restaurant / cafe - Vegan Options

Friendly cafe above wholefood shop - children welcome

Web Site: www.bearco-op.com
    Place added on Feb 16th, 2004

29 Rochdale Road, Todmorden. OL14 7LA Lancashire United Kingdom
    Tel 01706 813737

Buddha Belly

Try this site

http://www.veggieplaces.co.uk/vegeta...morden_gb.html

Hebden Bridge 5 miles down the road or train looks really good for options. I had a flick through and was really suprised by what is there.

Get the 65 bus to Kingston and try the Riverside Vegeteria. It's a 5 minute walk from the bus stop and YUM!

Regarding shopping there is a very nice (though possibly not that cheap) wholefood shop just by Kew Station. It's called Oliver's I think. There is also the usual array of chain stores including a Waitrose which I think we decided is quite a good one for vegans.

Oh, i used to live in Richmond and miss it so! Oliver Foods in Kew is very nice with lots of selection but expensive. Slightly closer is Gaia foods shop beside St. Margaret's station, you will need to cross Richmond bridge and keep walking straight on, for about 10-15mins. Small shop but well stocked. Waitrose is also very good in keeping things in stock as well.

Eating out, I always liked Wagamama (when it's not on fire, ha ha), there's also Japanese restaurant on Paradise road which is also delish but call for a reservation! There is also a great restaurant in Hammersmith (by my fav. cinema Riverside Studios, ok I'm gonna cry now, I miss the SouthWest) called The Gate which has fab vegan things and in the warmer months a great place to sit outside in the greenery.

There is also a group called London Vegans that meet up for various outings including vegan restaurants in the London area. I don't the exact name anymore, but there is also a smaller more local vegan group in Twickenham as well that do the same.

Hope this all helps!
    Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver...

Sounds like I'll have to make a detour next time I do a few laps of Richmond Park :smile:
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

puca

Quote Troutina View Post
    Get the 65 bus to Kingston and try the Riverside Vegeteria. It's a 5 minute walk from the bus stop and YUM!
    Yow!

Yesyes... They do this awesome pancakey thingy!

And hi! I work in Richmond and live in Kingston. Would love to make friends in the area.