Thread: Minor change in board guide lines

Default Minor change in board guide lines

Hi all,

we've added a sentence to our board rules today:

"If you in some way or other refer to being nutritionalist, medical doctor or similar, please use your full name. We can change your user name for you if you already have registered."

This doesn't mean that everyone who is a dentist or medical assistant or zone therapist needs to register with full names, but that people who discuss health/nutrition and claim to be health/nutrition professionals must use real names.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: Minor change in board guide lines

I'm not sure I think this is a good thing, Korn. I think it is important that if people present themselves as qualified doctors or nutritionists, they should show their qualifications - what, when and where - but I think everyone is entitled to a level of anonymity here.

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    I'm not sure I think this is a good thing, Korn. I think it is important that if people present themselves as qualified doctors or nutritionists, they should show their qualifications - what, when and where - but I think everyone is entitled to a level of anonymity here.
    I agree but I think the boards need to protect themselves against "dis-reputable" people
    What if a monkey made you a sandwich?

Buddha Belly

Everyone should have anonymity but if giving nutritional/ medical advice then the one advising should give why they are qualified to do so in the part of the thread where advice is given.

Mahk

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Everyone should have anonymity but if giving nutritional/ medical advice then the one advising should give why they are qualified to do so in the part of the thread where advice is given.
    And by giving their real name they can be held accountable and are traceable for (potentially) killing or harming people with idiotic advice that others may follow such as "Drink only master cleanse spicy lemonade and eat only rice. I know. I'm a doctor."

Some people on forums afforded total anonymity lie about their credentials. This new rule helps stop that. It is illegal to practice medicine without a license, after all.

Excellent, good work Korn!

Quote Mahk View Post
    And by giving their real name they can be held accountable and are traceable for (potentially) killing or harming people with idiotic advice that others may follow such as "Drink only master cleanse spicy lemonade and eat only rice. I know. I'm a doctor."

Some people on forums afforded total anonymity lie about their credentials. This new rule helps stop that. It is illegal to practice medicine without a license, after all.

Excellent, good work Korn!
    Yes, it is certainly a good idea to increase accountability for these things - anyone can say they have such and such degrees. I don't presume a person who makes such a claim to be lying (unless they then do something highly suggestive that they are - such as if someone claimed an MD and then showed a lack of understanding basic biology), but I also don't automatically presume that everything starts and ends with them because they have such-and-such degree, though they might be able to offer some useful information on their field of expertise (which, again, the accountability thing is good for if someone claims a degree and spouts off some off-base advise).

"I am a doctor of vitaltrition! Listen to what I say about the anaerobes in your gut that form your immune system..." Nah, just being sarcastic.

I'm not sure about this. I understand the problem with new people claiming qualifications and giving out potentially misleading advice. However, I think there are board regulars who work in the health system and it can be helpful if they mention their credentials when giving advice, but at other times they might want anonymity to post about their family relationships or whatever. Maybe someone like that could have two different IDs, but that could get a bit confusing.

However, I think there are board regulars who work in the health system and it can be helpful if they mention their credentials when giving advice, but at other times they might want anonymity to post about their family relationships or whatever.
    Hi,

the way this is intended to work in practice, is that people who claim to be health professionals and suggest stuff that generally is considered not-backed up by science will be asked to do this under their real names - eg. if people suggest that it's fine to live permanently on brown rice alone or if they claim that the it's fine for some people to do this but nor for others.

I think we have enough health knowledgeable people on this board to sense where such a request may be appropriate - and to know when we wouldn't need to ask people to verify that they actually are doctors, nutritionalists or nutrition technologists.

We have had such situations only a couple of times AFAIK, so you/we won't notice much of a difference from how we have been doing things earlier.
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 24th, 2009 at 01:02 PM.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Oh, that should be fine then

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    I understand your point, anonymity should be an option for all. However - I think it still works with this rule too; If they want to remain anonymous, then they can't give un-substantiated advice. It's their choice.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich