Thread: Dr. Cow's raw, organic tree nut cheeses

Default Dr. Cow's raw, organic tree nut cheeses

I ordered a box of tree nut cheeses. Raw, organic, of course vegan...it's gotten amazing reviews...looks like good stuff!

http://www.dr-cow.com/

It should arrive today. Has anyone else tried it?

Default Re: Waiting on a shipment of Dr-Cow

Never heard of them before - but it looks amazing. There's a restaurant in London here that does great Nut Cheeses, but it's not the kind of thing that we can generally get here. Looking forward to your review!

I'm excited to try it! The reviews I've read have been really positive. I had heard about it in the magazine VegNews; they named it Product of the Year last year. Supposedly it's more like a new kind of cheese altogether rather than just a product designed to mimic cow's milk cheese...

"It’s Not just that pablo Castro and Veronica schwartz of Dr. Cow have pioneered a new vegan cheese. It’s not just that this particular cheese happens to be the most cheese- like dairy-free cheese we’ve ever experienced, or that it happens to be raw, or that it happens to have famous fans, like Emily Deschanel. No, what really makes Dr. Cow Tree Nut Cheese product of the year is that its taste absolutely blew us away."
    http://www.dr-cow.com/press/

The downside is that it's mad expensive. Even if I love it I certainly won't be able to order it more than a couple times a year. But I figured since I just got my tax return...

I just got the Fedex Shipment and tried the cashew nut cheese. I have not tried the other flavors and I can't bust into all of them right now (read on.)

Okay seriously-- two things.

1. It's NOT "fake cheese." Unmistakably, although vegan, it *is* real cheese!! The texture is virtually perfect. The flavor is totally wonderful. I think you'd have to like sharp cheese though because that's what it is; super sharp. But totally rich and delicious. I'm amazed.

2. The wheels are tiny. I neglected to notice they are 2.5 ounce wheels. This makes them even more expensive than I thought. Like around 7 times more expensive than cow's milk cheese. This is NOT something you'd be putting on a sandwich or topping a pizza with LOL. Unless you can afford to make a $75 pizza. I can't. I can probably order this stuff a couple of times a year as a very decadent treat.
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." -- Flannery O'Connor

Interesting that it's that expensive. Perhaps they use gold-plated nuts ? Still, you've given me a good idea for a(n expensive) present for someone.

Yeah that's the only bummer. But, it's organic...raw...has to be aged and handled carefully...plus cashews are pretty expensive in terms of nuts. It's a really small company apparently. Maybe if this type of cheese catches on there will be cheaper copycats. I sure hope so! It's so much healthier and cruelty-free.

I wish I knew how to make it! I'm working on a recipe for cashew "goat" cheese that I saw in the Vegetarian Times. I've got the nuts soaking right now. If that comes out half as good as this I'll be very pleased. But, it won't be true cheese...I don't know how to do that...nor do I have the necessary bacteria or equipment. Someone should jump on trying to also make this though-- that would be potentially very profitable I bet!
    Last edited by Mommal; Apr 15th, 2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: clarification
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." -- Flannery O'Connor

Curious: how much did you pay? I get it for $5.69 a wheel at the NFS.

I love it. I get it eevry couple of weeks and have half a wheel with crackers and salad as a meal. That doesn't seem to pricey to me. I find a little goes a long way.

I paid $75 for 5 wheels plus 1 container of cashew cream cheese. Granted, that included overnight shipping in a refrigerated container. It would be a lot more affordable if I could pick it up myself anywhere around here.

You've had it so you know how small the wheels are-- that's the only thing that disappointed me because the cheese itself is unreal.

I busted into the aged cashew + blue green algae variety and it's EVEN BETTER than the first one I tried. I'm so stoked to try all the different flavors!! And my wheels are turning about how I might be able to learn how to make this at home somehow.

Isn't it the best?

I saw this online a while ago and am hoping to find some when I visit New York in the Autumn. There's a restaurant here called Saf which does cashew cheese so I guess it's something similar. I really liked it but it was a soft cream cheese and I was hoping for a alternative to a hard cheese. Are these Dr Cow ones soft and spreadable or sliceable?

vegankitty, yes it is soo good! I'm going to stretch this shipment for as long as possible.

VeganMonkey, both actually! They make a fresh cashew nut cream cheese that is spreadable. The rest of the cheeses are more like hard cheeses.

Quote VeganMonkey View Post
    I saw this online a while ago and am hoping to find some when I visit New York in the Autumn. There's a restaurant here called Saf which does cashew cheese so I guess it's something similar. I really liked it but it was a soft cream cheese and I was hoping for a alternative to a hard cheese. Are these Dr Cow ones soft and spreadable or sliceable?
    I live in NYC. If you'd like to PM me when you come I can tell you who has it cheapest. My NFS raised the price to $6.50 a wheel sadly. (Yhis thread made me go buy some last night. ) Other stores charge from $8-$10 though so it's still worth going there.

Mmm, if some of them are a bit like hard cheese I definately need to try them!
    Thanks Vegankitty - that's cool of you. I won't be there til October but I'll try and remember to PM you before I go. Can't wait to check out all the interesting health food shop options in NYC (different ice creams etc) that we don't have here. Plus all the vegan eateries!

I had the cheese course at Pure Food & Wine and it was Dr Cow cheeses - maybe you'll have to add a trip there into your schedule Vegan Monkey!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    I had the cheese course at Pure Food & Wine and it was Dr Cow cheeses - maybe you'll have to add a trip there into your schedule Vegan Monkey!
    !!! It's just as well my OH has already been to New York as there won't be much time for conventional sight seeing! I can't wait!